Would Ranuado, Lars Anderson and Doubront be enought to get Garza?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Would Ranuado, Lars Anderson and Doubront be enought to get Garza?

Sully, I understand you got to give up talent for talent, and wouldn't be too upset with any player if I felt the deal was right...but SS has been a black hole for years.

In terms of his replacements Even if Xander was a STUD he still 3 years away at most...if not 5 and many scouts think he will move to a corner outfield or 3B position when he fills out.  and Tejada has horrible defense and hit .249 at AA last year so who knows what he will do. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Would Ranuado, Lars Anderson and Doubront be enought to get Garza?:
    [QUOTE]ADAM - that is really really overpaying. Doubront could be a 4 or 5 guy on a lot of teams right now, Raunado is a #3 guy and possibly even higher in only a few years.  Bowden could probably be a viable option in our bullpen now but could also be trade bait, Lars Anderson is trade Bait.....and Iggy still could be a star.  He was only 20 last year at AAA
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]
    Felix Doubront, who is 24 years old, was barely a 4 or 5 starter at Pawtucket last season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Would Ranuado, Lars Anderson and Doubront be enought to get Garza?:
    [QUOTE]Trading Iggy, Lars or Bowden for a durable 4th or 5th starter makes sense, IMO.  But trading Doubront, who could be your dependable 5th as early as this season, and Ranaudo, who could be as good as your #3 guy in two or three years, that does not make as much sense to me.
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

I'd rather have Iggy starting this year rather than Scutty, but it's not going to happen. Ben has blocked Iggy, and so I'm all for trading him if we can get a good 4/5th starter in return (as a package that would include some of our pitchers out of options (Doubront, Morales, Atchison, Bowden) and will have to lose 2-3 of them anyway.

I'd like to see what we could get for Iggy, Lars, Bowden and Atchison. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I think that partially had to do with him recovering from injury.  If you look at his game logs he was actually effective more often than not, when it rained it poured for him.  I think there are plenty of teams out there that view him as a viable 4th 5th starter. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]I think that partially had to do with him recovering from injury.  If you look at his game logs he was actually effective more often than not, when it rained it poured for him.  I think there are plenty of teams out there that view him as a viable 4th 5th starter. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]
    Neither SoxProspects, Baseball America, FanGraphs nor John Sickels* currently ranks Felix Doubront among the Top 10 prospects in the Red Sox organization (which is generally considered a middle-of-the-pack farm system).

* in the interest of full disclosure, Sickels wrote of Doubront: "Yet another guy who could be a four/five starter for many teams but is more likely to end up a reliever in Boston." Which is confusing, because the Red Sox reportedly are looking to fill out their rotation after Jon Lester, Josh Beckett and Clay Buchholz.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

I see the Red Sox forum alchemists are at it again trying to turn garbage into gold....

you want Garza? then give them Beckett....they get a guy coming off a very good year, we get rid of an ingrate and save 8 mil in salary...and im betting in this even year Josh & Matt have similar stats...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I heard MN traded Garza to TB because he was eating ribs in the clubhouse during games, then it happened again in TB. I don't get why eating chicken is so bad, but ribs is OK.

Maybe the Cubs would take Beckett and Jenks for Garza (and call the Theo deal done). We'd save about $13M in 2012 and could go out and sign a few helpful pieces.

Order up a few racks of ribs!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

ribs chicken ribs chicken.....at least chicken has the potential to be very healthy for you. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]I heard MN traded Garza to TB because he was eating ribs in the clubhouse during games, then it happened again in TB. I don't get why eating chicken is so bad, but ribs is OK. Maybe the Cubs would take Beckett and Jenks for Garza (and call the Theo deal done). We'd save about $13M in 2012 and could go out and sign a few helpful pieces. Order up a few racks of ribs!
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

That's one of the things that puzzles me about Garza.  He got traded by both MN and TB.  Perhaps they had good reasons, but it strikes me as strange he'd be traded twice at such a young age.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would Ranuado, Lars Anderson and Doubront be enought to get Garza? : That's one of the things that puzzles me about Garza.  He got traded by both MN and TB.  Perhaps they had good reasons, but it strikes me as strange he'd be traded twice at such a young age.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]
    For what it's worth, Adrian Gonzalez was only 23 years old when he was traded for the second time (and only 28 -- Matt Garza's current age -- when he was traded for the third time).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i just remember garza in game 7 on 2008 alcs...he was the boss....although ive always disliked him for that and spitting like a llama

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

When I hear Theo states teams can build around Garza, his demands must be high...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

[QUOTE]Trading Iggy, Lars or Bowden for a durable 4th or 5th starter makes sense, IMO.   1. Lars and Bowden will not net a bucket of dung, much less a durable 4th or 5th starter with a sub Tim Wastefield ERA 2. Name the durable 4th or 5th starter you desire, in your opinion............................................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

My desire for another teams 4th or 5th type starters...
    TB with W davis or J niemann
    ATL with jurrjens or minor
    SFG with Sanchez or Bumgardner
    DET with porcello or scherzer

All make less than 4m...and would infuse solid depth.  We do not need 5 felix Hernandez's....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

I think Garza is a perfect fit but I feel like the asking price will be higher for the Red Sox.  A package centered around Ranaudo should get it done but I'm not so sure I'd give him up for a middle of the rotation guy.  Save the trade chips.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

How about Iggy, Bowden, Wilson and Anderson for Jonathan Niese?  He is a lefty, he is young and inexpensive, and he is reportedly on the trade block.  Mets could use Iggy, and Anderson certainly would have more opportunity with them than with the Sox.  Wilson might be able to take Niese's spot in their rotation, and Bowden could bolster their bullpen.  Sox free up about 1.5 million with the deal and get their #5.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Considering that the Sox front office, which knows ALL about Lars, is in Chicago now? Nope!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]How about Iggy, Bowden, Wilson and Anderson for Jonathan Niese?  He is a lefty, he is young and inexpensive, and he is reportedly on the trade block.  Mets could use Iggy, and Anderson certainly would have more opportunity with them than with the Sox.  Wilson might be able to take Niese's spot in their rotation, and Bowden could bolster their bullpen.  Sox free up about 1.5 million with the deal and get their #5.
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

I don't think I want to trade next year's SS, but it is interesting.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

While the spitting is hard to watch, if this guy is so great you have to wonder why the Cubs got him in the first place.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I'm just not sold on Iggy as being the 2013 SS for the Sox.  That, and his 2.1 million dollar salary to "develop" at AAA makes him expendable in my eyes.  Ben has to be creative and try to free up some money to have flexibility to sign or trade for another starter, possibly add a RH OF bat, and have room to make a move or two mid-season.  I am rooting for Bogaerts to be the 2013 starter.  And there is another stellar defender with good bat speed and no power on the farm who is even younger still.  His name is Vinicio, and if his bat improves as he fills out, he has the potential to be better than Iggy.  He was signed two years ago at age 16 for almost 2 million dollars.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]Doubt organization's scouts are telling the FO that Anthony Ranaudo or Doubront will not be ready and productive at the ML level.  Obviously the Red Sox can trade Lars Anderson as Lars is at least behind Adrian Gonzalez and Kevin Youkilis on the depth chart.  The Red Sox starting rotation may have changed significantly with the acquisition of Melancon and Andrew Bailey, the Red Sox can afford to give Alfredo Aceves and Daniel Bard the opportunity to start.  The Red Sox also expect DiceK to be available to start by mid sesaon.  I always liked Matt Garza, but to overpay for him with the Red Sox now in maybe a better position than some thought after Jonathan Papelbon signed with the Phillies, to pay with pitching for Matt Garza might not be a smart move.
    Posted by rgmfick[/QUOTE]

I think that with the additions of Melancon and Bailey (both solid aquistions by Cherington), it's clear that Bard will be given every opportunity to earn a spot in the rotation. Aceves, might be too valuable in his current role, but he's certainly capable of giving them a spot start or two during the season (not unlike last year).

In the big picture due to the injurys of Matsusaka and Lackey. The Sox have a need for two starters to replace both in the near term (2012). They also have to address the organizational depth. Presently we have Miller, Doubront, Tazawa and Duckworth, each of whom will be given a long look this spring. Longer term we have three highly touted prospects in Ranaundo, Barnes & Britton, who are in the mix as chips in the near term or 2013 or 2014 options to make an impact in the big leagues...

If we assume Bard will replace Lackey in 2012, then slide into Matsusaka slot in 2013 (with Lackey returning and Matsusaka leaving via FA). The Sox in the near term, are now left with the need to find a replacement for Matsusaka until his return in August and probably as improtant is address the organizational depth (see above). Where risk/reward guys like Brandon Webb could play a role...

Assuming health and productive season from Beckett, Lester and Buccholz, if Bard can give them 25 starts and 175 innings and Aceves (Miller?) picks up the slack with 8 spot starts and 50 innings or so. The need in 2012 is for a 5th starter type, thus the addition of "Garza" or a like pitcher, is more of a luxary, than a need, looking beyond 2012 (see below).

Which doesn't imply that by adding a pitcher of his ilk to the mix isn't a prudent thing to do given the fragile nature of the position. As we all learned, one can never have enough arms...Merely that if they can somehow get the requist innings out of those already in the organization. They then can hold onto valuable chips or cash needed to aquire a proven veteran via trade. To use those resources later in the season to bolster the club for the stretch drive if and when a need arises...

Present 2012 Rotation & Org depth....
    Lester
    Beckett
    Buccholz
    Bard/Aceves
    _ _ _ _ _ _ ?/Matsusaka (August)

2012 Org depth/5th starter
    Miller, Doubront, Tazawa or Duckworth, _ _ _ _  _ _?

Projected 2013 Rotation and Org Depth....
    Lester
    Beckett
    Buccholz
    Lackey
    Bard

Org depth
    Ranaundo, Barnes, Britton, Doubront, _ _ _ _ _ _?