Would somebody PLEASE kick this team in the A**!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

Would somebody PLEASE kick this team in the A**!

for God's sake! They are so matter of fact ! Show some emotion! show some heart!! first the Padres, now the freaking Pirates!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulLaCourse. Show PaulLaCourse's posts

Re: Would somebody PLEASE kick this team in the A**!

In Response to Would somebody PLEASE kick this team in the A**!:
    for God's sake! They are so matter of fact ! Show some emotion! show some heart!! first the Padres, now the freaking Pirates!
    Posted by jozee76

What do you expect when you have a manager who cannot manage.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Members of the MLBPA get paid about the same, win or lose.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

I mean it's Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh for God's sake!!!!! They su#K!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Pittsburgh isn't that bad this year.  Every pitcher they put out there tonight had a good ERA.  Yankees lost at home to the Rockies. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpupp1. Show bigpupp1's posts

Despite popular opinion around here, you can't actually win them all...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Pirates have a fine pitching staff. Crawford is about half their payroll.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

And the goats tonight for the Sox were their best - Gonzo, Ortiz, and Youk, who couldn't deliver in key atbats. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In Response to Would somebody PLEASE kick this team in the A**!:
    Posted by jozee76

You're one of those names I notice which only appear to complain when the team is doing poorly.  You never have any insight or anything constructive to offer. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Bellsbury got on base early and made the offense go. Unless Agon, Ortiz and Youk are hitting, the offense won't "go". They make the offense go, not Crawbury. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Ellsbury scored the only run, but the credit certainly goes to AGon and very slightly to Youk. 

No question that Youk, AGon, Ortiz, and even Pedroia are needed to make the offense go, but Ellsbury is part of it too. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Remember the old saying: You're never as good as you think you are, and you're never as bad as you think you are.

This is a streaky team. It reminds me very much of the '07 group, which I foolishly counted out about 15 times that season.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Would somebody PLEASE kick this team in the A**!:
    Remember the old saying: You're never as good as you think you are, and you're never as bad as you think you are. This is a streaky team. It reminds me very much of the '07 group, which I foolishly counted out about 15 times that season.
    Posted by LloydDobler

And the '04 team played .500 ball for a 3 month stretch.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

In Response to Would somebody PLEASE kick this team in the A**! : You're one of those names I notice which only appear to complain when the team is doing poorly.  You never have any insight or anything constructive to offer. 
    Posted by Sheriff-Rojas

Different name, same BS! So, it's now ok to lose to the Padres and the Pirates! Wow, how things have changed! It's not THAT they lose bozo, it'sHOW they lose. ZERO emotion, ZERO heart! Just like Tito!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

In Response to Would somebody PLEASE kick this team in the A**! : You're one of those names I notice which only appear to complain when the team is doing poorly.  You never have any insight or anything constructive to offer. 
    Posted by Sheriff-Rojas

PS; Unlike you, I actually hold them up to a little scrutiny! Just a little.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Would somebody PLEASE kick this team in the A**! : Different name, same BS! So, it's now ok to lose to the Padres and the Pirates! Wow, how things have changed! It's not THAT they lose bozo, it'sHOW they lose. ZERO emotion, ZERO heart! Just like Tito!
    Posted by jozee76

So when they won nine in a row earlier this month, three coming in Yankee Stadium ... zero emotion and heart then?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

1. The Pirates are not a bad team this year, I've been afraid of just what happened tonight for the past couple of days. This Pittsburg team is young and scrappy, and would LOVE to hang Red Sox heads on the walls this weekend. Take this team lightly at your own risk. Sox better strap it on real quick, or they'll get swept right out of town, I'm NOT kidding!
    2. Paul Maholm is one of the best pitchers in the NL. I know from keeping up with the Reds that Maholm can be lights out when he gets on a roll--which he did tonight after the first inning.
    3. Lester actually pitched a pretty good game, but his defense let him down. He could have had a line of 7 innings and 1 run easily.
    4. All that being said, I do agree that this team had played heartless ball the past week, and that includes most of the wins! One of the flaws this team has is the inability to win when trailing after 7/8. They seem to give up sooner than they should, and that's something that needs to be adressed. We'll see where we stand at the break, and make an assesment then. Losing 4 of 6 is annoying, but not the end of the world just yet.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In Response to Re: Would somebody PLEASE kick this team in the A**! : Different name, same BS! So, it's now ok to lose to the Padres and the Pirates! Wow, how things have changed! It's not THAT they lose bozo, it'sHOW they lose. ZERO emotion, ZERO heart! Just like Tito!
    Posted by jozee76

Not BS.  Truth.  You only show up here to complain.  That was my point.  Plain and simple. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxlaxer12. Show redsoxlaxer12's posts

I love the pirates this year McCutchen is my third favorite outfielders in the NL (Braun being my favorite and Berkmen my second) and they have youg good pitching that is hitting stride... with players and good ones waiting in the minors. That being said obviously I hope the sox kill them but this team is only 3 games out of a good Devision. I pray they go on a tear and we see them in the WS...and obviously kill them there. But they are my NL team this year along with the Nats. Gotta love an underdog.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

No question that Youk, AGon, Ortiz, and even Pedroia are needed to make the offense go, but Ellsbury is part of it too.

No, the sluggers make the offense go. If they don't hit, the offense isn't going to go, regardless of whether a scatback is running around or not. If the sluggers don't make the offense go, it will take great pitching to win the game, regardless of what the scatbacks do. That's why Agon is a great value and Crawford is not. All the supporting cast does is wait for the sluggers to make the offense go. Otherwise, you get what happened, tonight. AGon, Youk and Pedroia are high OPS guys. If one of them are on, the offense will be adquate. If two are on, the offense will be scoring a lot of runs.

Tonight, they nibbled on AGon and pitched around Youk to put away Mac and/or Cameron. That's NL style ball. Tito made serious management errors. Pedroia isn't the same as what he was on the pop basis, but will hopefully regain that when he adjusts and/or gets the screw out of his wheel. With Bellsbury and Pedroia, they simply pound the K zone and give up a few punch and judy singles. They get to AGon, and they nibble, then stay away from Youk and close out the inning by blowing Mac and/or Cameron away.

The lineup mistake that Tito made was putting Mac and Cameron in the 5 and 6 holes. Here was the correct lineup:

Ellsbury
    Scutaro
    AGon
    Youk
    Pedroia
    Varitek (pinch Ortiz/Drew)
    Cameron (pinch Ortiz/Drew)
    Mac (pinch Ortiz/Drew)
    Pitcher (pinch Ortiz/Drew)

Tito had it handed to him. I don't care if he managed in the NL, he was an idiot for not making the obvious lineup adjustment. Putting Pedroia in the 5 hole would have put a 1.048 OPS v LHP in the 5 hole. This would have put the Pirate starter into some serously higher stress level with one mistake to Pedroia and a gapper. With Mac and Cameron, seldom used and scuffing at the plate, putting them in the 5 and 6 hole is tantamount to manager malpractice!

In addition, as another poster points out, he had to employ the double switch and get Reddick and Ortiz in sooner and/or higher up with RISP in the middle part of the game. It's all about percentages.

Having Varitek move the runners up, with no outs, was the correct play. But, had Pedroia been in the 5 spot, at that point, one on, if the Pirates call for the righty to turn Varitek around, then Reddick or Drew could have pinch hit for Varitek, followed by Ortiz pinch hitting for Cameron's spot. Likely worse case, one run to put the pressure on the Pirates closer. Drew or Reddick can pinch hit for the 9th spot.

Tito's good on keeping his players happy and restoring confidence after the struggles, but he's a poor game manager who is very scared to play his cards until the very end of the game. He's also very poor at putting his players in the right spots and matchups when making out lineups against pitchers. Many times, the tipping point comes in the middle innings, especially in NL ball.

A good mangers admits his mistakes and isn't scared to make adjustments. A bad one rationalizes the mistakes and tries to keep the upper hand by sticking to his guns.

Tonight's lineup decision was an embarrassing mistake, even if Mac or Cameron happened to launch one. The odds of that happening were too small to validate the decision, even if it "worked" one time.

NL ball is about good defense, punch and judy, small ball, one slugger, maybe, and good pitching to pitch around a slugger or two and mow through lineups that have slugging holes from the 5 spot on.

Ellsbury would have a higher value in punch and judy NL ball.

Since it's clear that Tito doesn't have a clue in setting a lineup card and managing the NL game without the DH, he needs to stick AGon in RF, tell him to play closer to the line and not to sprint or dive for balls hit in his area. Ellsbury and Reddick should be shaded towards RF to cover some of the gap near AGon. The large gap will be down the LF line, but Reddick and Ellsbury have the speed to cover the gaps as well as can be expected.

Here is the lineup, Tito, so please read it as I know what I'm doing (you can't start and stick the bench guys who haven't played much in these new places cold and rusty):

L Ellsbury CF
    R Pedroia 2B
    L AGon RF (Position deeper and shaded toward the line)
    R Youk 3B
    L Ortiz 1B
    L Reddick LF
    L/R Salty C
    R Scutaro SS
    R Wakefield P

Pinch hitter for 6 through 9 spots v. LHP: Varitek, Mac, Cameron

Pinch hitter for 1, 6 through 9 spots v. RHP: Sutton

Note: Sutton is a bad fielder and isn't MLB material v. LHP. But, if the game is late, Red Sox trail by a run or two, runners on,  unless the Pirates have a good pen option v. LHP card still to play, Sutton should pinch hit for Ellsbury.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Well, at least you watched the game.
    AGONE has been hot lately and the team is still losing. The "sluggers" w/o CRAWBURY kicking in are at half strength.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

No question that Youk, AGon, Ortiz, and even Pedroia are needed to make the offense go, but Ellsbury is part of it too. No, the sluggers make the offense go. If they don't hit, the offense isn't going to go, regardless of whether a scatback is running around or not. If the sluggers don't make the offense go, it will take great pitching to win the game, regardless of what the scatbacks do. That's why Agon is a great value and Crawford is not. All the supporting cast does is wait for the sluggers to make the offense go. Otherwise, you get what happened, tonight. AGon, Youk and Pedroia are high OPS guys. If one of them are on, the offense will be adquate. If two are on, the offense will be scoring a lot of runs. Tonight, they nibbled on AGon and pitched around Youk to put away Mac and/or Cameron. That's NL style ball. Tito made serious management errors. Pedroia isn't the same as what he was on the pop basis, but will hopefully regain that when he adjusts and/or gets the screw out of his wheel. With Bellsbury and Pedroia, they simply pound the K zone and give up a few punch and judy singles. They get to AGon, and they nibble, then stay away from Youk and close out the inning by blowing Mac and/or Cameron away. The lineup mistake that Tito made was putting Mac and Cameron in the 5 and 6 holes. Here was the correct lineup: Ellsbury Scutaro AGon Youk Pedroia Varitek (pinch Ortiz/Drew) Cameron (pinch Ortiz/Drew) Mac (pinch Ortiz/Drew) Pitcher (pinch Ortiz/Drew) Tito had it handed to him. I don't care if he managed in the NL, he was an idiot for not making the obvious lineup adjustment. Putting Pedroia in the 5 hole would have put a 1.048 OPS v LHP in the 5 hole. This would have put the Pirate starter into some serously higher stress level with one mistake to Pedroia and a gapper. With Mac and Cameron, seldom used and scuffing at the plate, putting them in the 5 and 6 hole is tantamount to manager malpractice! In addition, as another poster points out, he had to employ the double switch and get Reddick and Ortiz in sooner and/or higher up with RISP in the middle part of the game. It's all about percentages. Having Varitek move the runners up, with no outs, was the correct play. But, had Pedroia been in the 5 spot, at that point, one on, if the Pirates call for the righty to turn Varitek around, then Reddick or Drew could have pinch hit for Varitek, followed by Ortiz pinch hitting for Cameron's spot. Likely worse case, one run to put the pressure on the Pirates closer. Drew or Reddick can pinch hit for the 9th spot. Tito's good on keeping his players happy and restoring confidence after the struggles, but he's a poor game manager who is very scared to play his cards until the very end of the game. He's also very poor at putting his players in the right spots and matchups when making out lineups against pitchers. Many times, the tipping point comes in the middle innings, especially in NL ball. A good mangers admits his mistakes and isn't scared to make adjustments. A bad one rationalizes the mistakes and tries to keep the upper hand by sticking to his guns. Tonight's lineup decision was an embarrassing mistake, even if Mac or Cameron happened to launch one. The odds of that happening were too small to validate the decision, even if it "worked" one time. NL ball is about good defense, punch and judy, small ball, one slugger, maybe, and good pitching to pitch around a slugger or two and mow through lineups that have slugging holes from the 5 spot on. Ellsbury would have a higher value in punch and judy NL ball. Since it's clear that Tito doesn't have a clue in setting a lineup card and managing the NL game without the DH, he needs to stick AGon in RF, tell him to play closer to the line and not to sprint or dive for balls hit in his area. Ellsbury and Reddick should be shaded towards RF to cover some of the gap near AGon. The large gap will be down the LF line, but Reddick and Ellsbury have the speed to cover the gaps as well as can be expected. Here is the lineup, Tito, so please read it as I know what I'm doing (you can't start and stick the bench guys who haven't played much in these new places cold and rusty): L Ellsbury CF R Pedroia 2B L AGon RF (Position deeper and shaded toward the line) R Youk 3B L Ortiz 1B L Reddick LF L/R Salty C R Scutaro SS R Wakefield P Pinch hitter for 6 through 9 spots v. LHP: Varitek, Mac, Cameron Pinch hitter for 1, 6 through 9 spots v. RHP: Sutton Note: Sutton is a bad fielder and isn't MLB material v. LHP. But, if the game is late, Red Sox trail by a run or two, runners on,  unless the Pirates have a good pen option v. LHP card still to play, Sutton should pinch hit for Ellsbury.  
    Posted by betterredthandead

you know your baseball (unsarcastic appreciation).

"Tito had it handed to him. I don't care if he managed in the NL, he was an idiot for not making the obvious lineup adjustment. Putting Pedroia in the 5 hole would have put a 1.048 OPS v LHP in the 5 hole. This would have put the Pirate starter into some serously higher stress level with one mistake to Pedroia and a gapper. With Mac and Cameron, seldom used and scuffing at the plate, putting them in the 5 and 6 hole is tantamount to manager malpractice!

obvous point one

In addition, as another poster points out, he had to employ the double switch and get Reddick and Ortiz in sooner and/or higher up with RISP in the middle part of the game. It's all about percentages.

oh my god, how stupid tito is here. very obvious point 2.

Having Varitek move the runners up, with no outs, was the correct play. But, had Pedroia been in the 5 spot, at that point, one on, if the Pirates call for the righty to turn Varitek around, then Reddick or Drew could have pinch hit for Varitek, followed by Ortiz pinch hitting for Cameron's spot. Likely worse case, one run to put the pressure on the Pirates closer. Drew or Reddick can pinch hit for the 9th spot.

tito was in the nl, but forgot how to manage an nl game.

Tito's good on keeping his players happy and restoring confidence after the struggles, but he's a poor game manager who is very scared to play his cards until the very end of the game.

put some exclamatins on that. you are absoultely right!!!

He's also very poor at putting his players in the right spots and matchups when making out lineups against pitchers. Many times, the tipping point comes in the middle innings, especially in NL ball.

A good mangers admits his mistakes and isn't scared to make adjustments. A bad one rationalizes the mistakes and tries to keep the upper hand by sticking to his guns.

Tonight's lineup decision was an embarrassing mistake, even if Mac or Cameron happened to launch one. The odds of that happening were too small to validate the decision, even if it "worked" one time.

NL ball is about good defense, punch and judy, small ball, one slugger, maybe, and good pitching to pitch around a slugger or two and mow through lineups that have slugging holes from the 5 spot on.

Ellsbury would have a higher value in punch and judy NL ball.

Since it's clear that Tito doesn't have a clue in setting a lineup card and managing the NL game without the DH, he needs to stick AGon in RF, tell him to play closer to the line and not to sprint or dive for balls hit in his area. Ellsbury and Reddick should be shaded towards RF to cover some of the gap near AGon. The large gap will be down the LF line, but Reddick and Ellsbury have the speed to cover the gaps as well as can be expected.

or we need 2 managers. one to make them feel good, tito. one who can actually manage a game. i am totally serious. either that or get a manager who can do both well (less preferable at this point as the reposne by the team might be to play better or go in the other direction)

Here is the lineup, Tito, so please read it as I know what I'm doing (you can't start and stick the bench guys who haven't played much in these new places cold and rusty):"

agreed.

peace

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Members of the MLBPA get paid about the same, win or lose.
    Posted by betterredthandead

lol another logical point put out there by the Master.  Tongue out

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from HoleinOne402. Show HoleinOne402's posts

When your GM gives the Manager two .150 hitters as subs this is no surprise.  Don't look to PawSox for help.  The supposedly great Sox farm system AAA team is averaging about .225.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

AGONE has been hot lately and the team is still losing

False. Slugging has been weak in the losses.

After Crawbust hit the DL

Win v. Brewers  12-3  AGon 2-5 with a triple
                                  Youk Homered
                                   Ortiz 1-3 RBI and 2 walks

Win v. Padres  14-5   AGon 3-5 with a double
                                  Youk 2-4 with a double
                                  Ortiz 2-4 with a double

Ellsbury 1-4 with 2 walks scores once 

Loss v. Padres 4-5     Agon 1-5 with no extra base hits
                                  Youk 4-5 with a double
                                   Ortiz 0-5

Ellsbury 2-5

Loss v. Padres 1-5    Agon 4-4 with no extra base hits
                                 Youk 2-4 with no extra base hits
                                  Ortiz 0-3

Loss v. Pirates 1-3    AGon 2-4 with no extra base hits
                                 Youk 0-2
                                  Ortiz 0-1

Big slugging in the 2 wins, one extra base hit from the slugging trio in 3 straight losses with Ortiz going 0 for 9. 

Unless this team gets slugging in the middle, the offense is going to be impotent almost every game. It doesn't matter what Crawbust is doing or if he and his .275 OBP is on the DL. 

This team surged when the sluggers started slugging. 

Crawbust is nothing but a sale. He has been caught stealing 4 times and has stunk up the first half of the season. Bellsbury continues to put up a career high in OBP, over the first half (he's getting caught stealing a lot, too), but when the sluggers don't slug the offense is going to be impotent almost every game that happens. Ellsbury got on base and scored to open things tonight. It left an impotent offense because there was no slugging.   

Harness, knock off the Crawbury nonsense. The offense depends upon the sluggers. Without it, this offense is impotent.

Sections
Shortcuts