Would the Earth fly out of its orbit and crash into the sun if Adrian Gonzalez played right field for a week?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Would the Earth fly out of its orbit and crash into the sun if Adrian Gonzalez played right field for a week?

In Response to Would the Earth fly out of its orbit and crash into the sun if Adrian Gonzalez played right field for a week?:
    Seriously, the man is a professional baseball player. If he really can't play a few games in the outfield without getting decapitated, something's wrong.
    Posted by davetheknave

I am not worried about decapitation or orbital malfunctions.  i am worried about tweaked hammies and groin strains:  the kind of tweaks that come from engaging in full-speed movements that an athlete is not used to.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from crmn19. Show crmn19's posts

Re: Would the Earth fly out of its orbit and crash into the sun if Adrian Gonzalez played right field for a week?

In Response to Would the Earth fly out of its orbit and crash into the sun if Adrian Gonzalez played right field for a week?:
    Seriously, the man is a professional baseball player. If he really can't play a few games in the outfield without getting decapitated, something's wrong.
    Posted by davetheknave

So instead of resting gonzalez a bit and alternating in some way with Ortiz, they should foul up two positions first and right?  Ypou'd be better served cutting back on the possibility of scoring 10/game as opposed to that foolishness.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Not trying to be the thread police BUT do we really need multiple threads about the same topic?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

In Response to Re: Would the Earth fly out of its orbit and crash into the sun if Adrian Gonzalez played right field for a week?:
    In Response to Would the Earth fly out of its orbit and crash into the sun if Adrian Gonzalez played right field for a week? : I am not worried about decapitation or orbital malfunctions.  i am worried about tweaked hammies and groin strains:  the kind of tweaks that come from engaging in full-speed movements that an athlete is not used to.

Posted by SpacemanEephus

Are you suggesting that agone doesn't run full speed on the basepaths?

I mean, I know he will never be considered fleet footed, but I would hope he does run hard on those base hits.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

In Response to Re: Would the Earth fly out of its orbit and crash into the sun if Adrian Gonzalez played right field for a week?:
    Not trying to be the thread police BUT do we really need multiple threads about the same topic?
    Posted by fivekatz

Good call and absolutely do we not need another thread on this. Geez.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Would the Earth fly out of its orbit and crash into the sun if Adrian Gonzalez played right field for a week? : I am not worried about decapitation or orbital malfunctions.  i am worried about tweaked hammies and groin strains:  the kind of tweaks that come from engaging in full-speed movements that an athlete is not used to.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

I know that's a concerned, but will he run any more harder or farther than he did when he tripled the other day. Personally, I'm mixed about it. I like my idea of giving Ortiz one start at 1B and bring Gonzalez in to play in the seventh. But if Gonzalez can play OF and both bats can play be in the lineup together, it's an intriguing idea.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

Posted by davetheknave
    y r u perpetrating? my thread was started about 30 minutes before yours!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Odds are Gonzalez would be fine, however you can't ignore the fact of a heighten risk to injury and if that does happen.......boy do the Sox look stupid.

If you think the Sox need Ortiz in the lineup to win your an idiot, my biggest concern with him not playing is the fact that he would have to sit for so long and one would hope he doesn't get rusty.

I think the Sox need to just bite the bullet and Bench Ortiz, he will still get at least one at-bat a game and heck Tito can still start him for two of the games....because I think we will all live if Adrian gonzalez only starts 160 games this year. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Would the Earth fly out of its orbit and crash into the sun if Adrian Gonzalez played right field for a week? : I know that's a concerned, but will he run any more harder or farther than he did when he tripled the other day. Personally, I'm mixed about it. I like my idea of giving Ortiz one start at 1B and bring Gonzalez in to play in the seventh. But if Gonzalez can play OF and both bats can play be in the lineup together, it's an intriguing idea.
    Posted by royf19

Haha.  No, that triple was as far and fast as Adrian will ever run.   And the idea is certainly intriguing.  But, as Hugh points out, the Sox look pretty stupid in the perhaps off chance that he does get hurt.  And I also agree with hugh in that I think we will all live if Adrian only gets 160 in this year.  

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from b126962. Show b126962's posts

Yes.afsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsdsd

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Would the Earth fly out of its orbit and crash into the sun if Adrian Gonzalez played right field for a week? : Haha.  No, that triple was as far and fast as Adrian will ever run.   And the idea is certainly intriguing.  But, as Hugh points out, the Sox look pretty stupid in the perhaps off chance that he does get hurt.  And I also agree with hugh in that I think we will all live if Adrian only gets 160 in this year.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

What likely will happen if A-Gon plays right is that there will be a shallow fly ball to right between 1B and 2B that A-Gon, Ortiz and Pedey will all go for, collide with each other and knock each other out for the rest of the year with broken ribs.

Cry

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Would the Earth fly out of its orbit and crash into the sun if Adrian Gonzalez played right field for a week? : What likely will happen if A-Gon plays right is that there will be a shallow fly ball to right between 1B and 2B that A-Gon, Ortiz and Pedey will all go for, collide with each other and knock each other out for the rest of the year with broken ribs.
    Posted by royf19

I can just see the super slo-mo of poor Pedey getting Death Star trash-compacted between those two.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Would the Earth fly out of its orbit and crash into the sun if Adrian Gonzalez played right field for a week? : What likely will happen if A-Gon plays right is that there will be a shallow fly ball to right between 1B and 2B that A-Gon, Ortiz and Pedey will all go for, collide with each other and knock each other out for the rest of the year with broken ribs.
    Posted by royf19

I suppose I shouldn't even joke about something like that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Would the Earth fly out of its orbit and crash into the sun if Adrian Gonzalez played right field for a week? : I suppose I shouldn't even joke about something like that.
    Posted by royf19

No, because not only would the Sox season be in the tank, even worse we would have endure the next two years of Softy talking about Pedey, Ortiz and A-Gon being union slugs and taking "junkets" to Arizona etc.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The-Babe----. Show --The-Babe----'s posts

Posted by SpacemanEephus

So Space, are you saying that agone doesn't go all out running the bases?

I mean, I know he's not what we would call fleet footed, but I would still hope he runs the bases hard if he were on my team.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Would the Earth fly out of its orbit and crash into the sun if Adrian Gonzalez played right field for a week? : So Space, are you saying that agone doesn't go all out running the bases? I mean, I know he's not what we would call fleet footed, but I would still hope he runs the bases hard if he were on my team.
    Posted by --The-Babe----

Well, I am not a master of kinetic physiology, but a. the action of running after hitting a ball is quite different from turning on a dime to get a jump on a fly ball.  wind sprints vs. suicides.  b. athletes, particularly baseball players where the skill sets are so specific, are ingrained by repetitive training in a given motion/action.  breaking on balls, dealing with fences, sliding in the outfield are not among those practiced by Adrian.  Running bases is.

I do think Adrian goes all out on the basepaths, as evidenced by his club-leading triples output.  Thats what worries me.

Admittedly, the injury risk is not big.  i just don't think even that is worth it just to keep both their bats in the line-up for a few games ... particularly because i'm not sure the offensive positives outweigh the defensive liability Adrian would likely be out there.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

put him in right for the good team, phils, for world series practice, then split first with ortiz against lesser foes

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

This is what happens when Interleague interferes with real baseball

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

In Response to Re: Would the Earth fly out of its orbit and crash into the sun if Adrian Gonzalez played right field for a week? : So Space, are you saying that agone doesn't go all out running the bases? I mean, I know he's not what we would call fleet footed, but I would still hope he runs the bases hard if he were on my team.
    Posted by --The-Babe----

Do you really believe the stuff you post?  You can't.  You realize that running the bases is totally different from full speed blasts in the outfield in different directions, right?  The whole thread is ridiculous.  And if him being slow is all you got, I'm fine with that.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Based on what I know of Francona, IMO I don't think he'll do this. For starters, you're weakening two positions defensively; and they certainly have enough offensively to give these guys a few blows.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Starting Gonzalez in right is a horrible idea for so many reasons, not the least of which is that it's a pulled hammie waiting to happen. Not to mention the fact that it makes us significantly worse at two defensive positions.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

I can see it now: Els crashes into A-Gon going for a ball in right center.  Game over.   Not worth it, the outfield is not the place for A-Gon.

Sections
Shortcuts