Would you be disappointed if Lamont is named manager this week?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Would you be disappointed if Lamont is named manager this week?

I'd be far from disappointed.

I'm in the ABV state of mind

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

Both candidates have extensive experience.  Lamont might have it easier to assemble his coaching staffs as he does not seem to have as dominating an ego.  With reasonable success, i.e. at least 2 playoff appearances over a 3 season period, I expect either manager will only be in Boston for 3 seasons, and then expect that a younger manager will replace Lamont or Valentine.  If Lamont is selected, it might be reasonable to conclude that the Red Sox would not pay Valentine what Bobby V thinks he is worth, or even strong personalities like Lucchino may not feel they can control Valentine. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I have no idea how to evaluate what manager would be the best fit for the Red Sox.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Hiring Lamont, in my opinion, would open the door for Maddon to come here after his contract expires at the end of 2012.

It is unlikely that TB will pay him what he can get if he makes himself available, and I see the Sox FO seeing him as the perfect type to run their team long-term.

So they sign Lamont for 3 years, knowing he is a similar personality to Francona, and if he doesn't win it all or go far in the playoffs he is fired after one season and replaced by Maddon...

...on the other hand, I believe Valentine would straighten out the team and make it hard for the FO to fire him under similar circumstances.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

What, Whitey Herzog wasn't available?
    Barf!
    Once more, the elephant labored and brought forth a mouse.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

I WON'T BE, BUT I BET BOBBY VALINTINE WOULD BE !!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

My disappointment stems from the fact that I didn't receive any consideration.

"Mr. Neutron would you have bunted or swung away?"

"I would have bunted the ball over the fence for a home run."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Lamont seems like a tito clone, only 15 years older..Pass..Ill take my chances with Bobby V..If anything it will be entertaining..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In all of the photos I have seen of him this autumn, Gene looks very sleepy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Valentine is in Japan, which may be why there's a delay in announcing him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Absolutely. Guy hasn't managed since 2000 and he was not good here in Chicago with the White Sox. It would be a waste and he'd be a puppet.

And if he is named manager, players like Beckett and Lester will be ordering multiple buckets of Popeye's at a time.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

In Response to Re: Would you be disappointed if Lamont is named manager this week?:
    [QUOTE]Absolutely. Guy hasn't managed since 2000 and he was not good here in Chicago with the White Sox. It would be a waste and he'd be a puppet. And if he is named manager, players like Beckett and Lester will be ordering multiple buckets of Popeye's at a time.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

Three buckets of chicken over the course of 81 home games isn't very significant. Don't they have food and a buffet table in the clubhouse during every day of the game? What's the beef?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I just think the boys had it all wrong by ordering chicken on non-pitching days only.  You get the chicken on the nights you start silly!  No doubt your fingers would be coated with enough fast food grease to turn your slider into a true gyro and your fastball into a flaming-knuckleball-on-steroids.  No ky jelly necessary.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjnmjn. Show mjnmjn's posts

If Valentine or Lamont are my choices, give me Lamont. Valentine is all bluster, smoke, mirrors, and zero substance. He might be a fair 3rd base coach.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

Wonder if it matters at this point who is named...if there is this much disparity in the FO over "philosophical differences", then we start 2012 with much the same degree of dysfunction that ended 2011.  Not a pretty picture at the moment.  Instead of Beckett eating chicken, we now have the FO playing chicken.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

I'd be disappointed. 

After all this balogna pretending that Ben "I've Been In the Basement for Over A Decade" Cherington is their GM, if they go with Gene Lamont you know they chickened out.  Cher wanted Sveum, Larry wanted Valentine, and we get some snoozer of a 3rd base coach.  Yippee.  

John Henry: Fire Lucchino or fire Cherington, but please... enough already with the charades.  This is making Oney Guillen's off-the-field-in-the-media rants look like proper business management.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Why would the Red Sox want to hire a 65 year old passive manager who hasn't managed in 10 years? Baseball has changed and the Red Sox will be joke. Any posters on this board could have come up with Lamont-like candidates. When I heard of the names they were bringing in, Lamont was at the bottom of the list, yet he may emerge as the Red Sox manager of choice. Wow.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from silva252. Show silva252's posts

BRING TITO BACK

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

In Response to Re: Would you be disappointed if Lamont is named manager this week?:
    [QUOTE]Why would the Red Sox want to hire a 65 year old passive manager who hasn't managed in 10 years? Baseball has changed and the Red Sox will be joke. Any posters on this board could have come up with Lamont-like candidates. When I heard of the names they were bringing in, Lamont was at the bottom of the list, yet he may emerge as the Red Sox manager of choice. Wow.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]
     Whose list? Do you have a link?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]BRING TITO BACK
    Posted by silva252[/QUOTE]

Amen Silva.  I am excitedly skeptical about Valentine, but Lamont?  Seriously?  

Worst.  Downgrade.  Ever.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would you be disappointed if Lamont is named manager this week? :  Whose list? Do you have a link?
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

Utica, it's been pretty well reported who the list of Sox managerial candidates are/have been:
    • Farrell - not released from contract
    • Mackalin - no longer a candidate
    • Sveum - hired by the Cubbies
    • Alomar - no longer a candidate
    • Lamont - still in the running
    • Valentine- still in the running
    • Mystery Candidate? - Are they waiting on someone like Brad Mills or working a deal with TB for Maddon behind the scenes?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Gene Lamont is fine by me, especially if the current GM wants that person. You got to have the GM and Manager on the same page or it's a disaster. Hell, it was disaster when Theo and Tito were on the same page, but at least 2 WS titles were bagged in the relationship.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]I have no idea how to evaluate what manager would be the best fit for the Red Sox.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

An honest post. I have to agree. I personally have no idea who to choose, and am very glad I don't have to make that decision. I lean toward V, but I could be dead wrong.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Lamont is a career loser, with some teams that don't provide a built in excuse. Terrible choice.