WOULD YOU CONSIDER BARD AS A STARTER IF PAP IS RE-SIGNED?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

WOULD YOU CONSIDER BARD AS A STARTER IF PAP IS RE-SIGNED?

BARD used to be a very capable starter and strted of as a starter in the minors. he has 4 A+ pitches, and seems to have the desire and passion to be a starter unlike pap. why not give it a shot? he can be our 5th starter. its more important than a setup guy. we can slot in jenks or even albers or sign the guy from the mets isringhausen (?) and so forth. we threw wagner in there., we can find many other alternaties. bard could be a lights-out starter. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: WOULD YOU CONSIDER BARD AS A STARTER IF PAP IS RE-SIGNED?

Absolutely. He has expressed a desire to start.  Probably would need to develop another pitch, maybe a cutter.  His stuff is , arguably , the best on the staff. I could see him possibly becoming a Verlander type ace.  Also, if it did not work out , he could always return to relieving.  At any rate , he is simply too good to be content to be a career set-up man.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mt200. Show Mt200's posts

if Paps re-signed, Bard should be traded. Could get a good haul for that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

I think he has more than 4 A+ pitches

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

I just started a thread similar to this a few days ago. Those that posted, along with myself, agreed it could be worth a look, but by no means does he have 4 A+ pitches. He has the 4-seam/2-seam fastball that I would grade A+, a slider that I would grade as an A/A+, and then a changeup that I would grade a C+ with potential to improve. We discussed that he would need to develop one or two more pitches to complement his current (cutter/curve sounds nice). Also, he must be able to maintain his velocity into his starts (drop down from 98-99 to 95-96). We saw Paps and Joba try to make this move and fail, but Bard has a smooth repeatable delivery that give him a chance to succeed. When he first signed, he was tried as a starter, but failed and moved to a reliever. It's worth a look to stretch him out in spring training, especially if Papelbon is resigned (though I don't think that will happen). Low-risk, potentially high reward opportunity...my gut says he collects the first save for the RS in 2012 and likely many more after that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to WOULD YOU CONSIDER BARD AS A STARTER IF PAP IS RE-SIGNED?:
    [QUOTE]BARD used to be a very capable starter and strted of as a starter in the minors. he has 4 A+ pitches, and seems to have the desire and passion to be a starter unlike pap. why not give it a shot? he can be our 5th starter. its more important than a setup guy. we can slot in jenks or even albers or sign the guy from the mets isringhausen (?) and so forth. we threw wagner in there., we can find many other alternaties. bard could be a lights-out starter. 
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]

If management felt Bard could start I'm sure he would have been given a couple looks already, especially with what our staff has gone through.  Bard would need another pitch for sure or his starter days might be short lived.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Good points.  I agree, worth considering but unlikely. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

When was he ever a capable starter? The reason he was moved to reliever was because he FAILED as a starter.

2007: Greenville 17 G, 17 GS, 6.42 ERA
    Lancaster 5 G, 5 GS, 10.12 ERA

He was converted to a reliever and that's when he became lights out. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to WOULD YOU CONSIDER BARD AS A STARTER IF PAP IS RE-SIGNED?:
    [QUOTE]BARD used to be a very capable starter and strted of as a starter in the minors. he has 4 A+ pitches, and seems to have the desire and passion to be a starter unlike pap. why not give it a shot? he can be our 5th starter. its more important than a setup guy. we can slot in jenks or even albers or sign the guy from the mets isringhausen (?) and so forth. we threw wagner in there., we can find many other alternaties. bard could be a lights-out starter. 
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]

No, he used to be a starter who couldn't throw a strike.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

nice responses so far. perhaps i should have written 2 A+ piches with the potential of 2 more and a bad starter. he would need to add a couple more piches, and its possible now that he can throw strikes that he could improve in that role. if not mistaken, pap wasnt great in the bullpen when he first tried in the minors. u just never know. 

guess its leverage over papelbon. if he comes down to 11M and 3 years with 4th vesting option, u may consider it. if he wants a 5 year deal, u walk and give it to bard. bet sox have both things ready. small chance with pap, u never know. its either closer or starter though. no way i see bard just staying as a setup guy and never getting a chance at big payday. only one sucker in the league willing to pay one (soraino) that kind of money. and no way i'll trade him. apart maybe from shortstop, sox need to simply stay put. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

So you wish to take maybe the best 7/8 inning guy in the league and make him a starter?
    Something he has not done in a few years.
    Who would you replace him with?
    Does anyone remember how screwed up Chamberlain was when they tried that with him?????
    BTW the guy (CC) did you look at his stats as a minor leauger?
    3-7 in 22 starts with a 7.00+ ERA
    Became a reliever in 2008 and has been great ever since.

Sure lets change him and why wait till next year do it nowLaughing

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rlgrater. Show rlgrater's posts

If anything, I would make Pap a starter, I think he could pace himself better because that seems to be his tendancy as a closer.  He gets in trouble constantly and then just turns on a switch and usually gets out of it.  Right now, I enjoy pretty much knowing that the 8th and 9th is ours.  I also like haveing a strikeout pitcher which isn't the closer available to get out of big problems that the starter has in the late innings.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: WOULD YOU CONSIDER BARD AS A STARTER IF PAP IS RE-SIGNED?:
    [QUOTE]If anything, I would make Pap a starter, I think he could pace himself better because that seems to be his tendancy as a closer.  He gets in trouble constantly and then just turns on a switch and usually gets out of it.  Right now, I enjoy pretty much knowing that the 8th and 9th is ours.  I also like haveing a strikeout pitcher which isn't the closer available to get out of big problems that the starter has in the late innings.
    Posted by rlgrater[/QUOTE]again, easier for a team like the sox to find a setup guy than a lights out starter (potentially). plus bard likes to start eventhough he wasnt great in the minors with it. pap hated it, so y would we risk it? passion counts esp at his age. he likely wouldnt want to go over that again. is what it is at this point with pap.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from thewags. Show thewags's posts

he COULD BE a phenomenal starter... he IS a phenomanal reliever. Some might say if it aint broke dont fix it, but I would say the stueff is there, why not get more out of him if he's willing to work the necessary adjustments and not jump into the fire and get hurt? I think it could work, and if the kid wants to, give him a shot. The thing we risk is him losing not only control, but also velocity. If he can heat up as the game goes on, fine, but a large part of his dominance is based on the variance of his arsenal, which stems from velocity. If he can still hurl it "in the red" (95+) and unleash as the game goes forward like Verlander, it would be really exciting.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Just to follow up on my previous post: Bard was a terrific starter in college at North Carolina, hence his high draft status. His problems as a rookie in the minors were more related to control than a lack of stamina. Sox converted him to a reliever, worked on his delivery , and the control issues were resolved. He has been an outstanding set-up man ever since.  He could very possibly make the transition back to starter. If it did not work out, he could simply go back to relieving. Sure , it is great to have a lights out set-up man plus a great closer, but how long would Bard be content in that role?   Of course , if Pap is not re-signed , then Bard would obviously become the closer. Finally, no one is suggesting that he be converted to a starter at this point.  Of course, it would have to be something that was tried in spring training.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

LET'S NOT PULL A JUSTIN CHAMBERLAIN PLEASE!!!!!!!!

I saw him pitch in college and he was very good but in the minors they coverted him to a reliever for a reason. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wherescreamingcomesfrom. Show wherescreamingcomesfrom's posts

no. he is the most important pitcher in the bullpen, including paplebon. He is the teams stopper, it would be tough to find another one like him.