Would you go after Shields?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

Would you go after Shields?

James Shields is a free agent after the season. He is battle tested in the AL East and would be a nice upgrade to what seems to be a terrible pitching staff. The one problem would be, is how much is he worth. Does he get a Lackey type of contract or something smaller. Is he even worth it? If so how much does he get money and year wise. For the record, I'm on board for signing him but just not sure how much to pay him. He turns 31 next Dec. Could he be worth a deal for 4 years at 15 million a year?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

Re: Would you go after Shields?

it's a no-brainer that the rays pick up his option but it's 50-50 if they then trade him or keep him for another year

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Rays need a catcher, OF'er,  1Bman and maybe a hitting Middle IF'er.

They probably wouldn't want Salty and his arb contract, so I'd offer Lava, Gomez, Aviles and Brentz.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I really doubt 28yo career minor leaguer Mauro Gomez enhances the offer all that much.

And I also think most of the offers they receives will inlcude playrs better than Mike Aviles.

That offer is a token attempt, at best.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Lva and Brentz are legitimate prospects, while Gomez and Aviles fills 2 of their gaps to some extent, but I do think it might take a little more.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Moon - How could you propose those guys? They are all junk. Have you seen Brentz at AAA. Before yesterday, he was 0 for 12 with 5 K's

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Maybe they should over pay for him as well.

Shields has had 1 good year - 2011 - after a really bad year in 2010 when his era was 5.18.  His career era is 3.95.  Add 1/2 a run onto that for the Fenway factor, making him a starting pitcher with an era of 4.5.

How many former Tampa players have done well after leaving Tampa?  Tampa is a no pressure place to place with a den mother for a manager (I like him too but he doesn't exactly teach these guys about leaving the nest).  Fenway is the exact opposite. 

He'll get eaten alive in Fenway.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to DirtyWaterLover's comment:

Maybe they should over pay for him as well.

Shields has had 1 good year - 2011 - after a really bad year in 2010 when his era was 5.18.  His career era is 3.95.  Add 1/2 a run onto that for the Fenway factor, making him a starting pitcher with an era of 4.5.

How many former Tampa players have done well after leaving Tampa?  Tampa is a no pressure place to place with a den mother for a manager (I like him too but he doesn't exactly teach these guys about leaving the nest).  Fenway is the exact opposite. 

He'll get eaten alive in Fenway.

ALot of pitchers have one bad year of pitching.  Verlander's worse season was 11-17 and ERA of 4.84.  Then he made an adjustment afterward and now he is one of the better pitcher in MLB.

Shield is already pitching well in the last 1 and 3/4th seasons.  

I would take him if Tampa decided not to pick up an option on him.  But if Tampa decided to pick up the option, I have a funny feeling that they would keep him since they will free up the payroll by letting go Upton, Pena, Farnworth, Perelta, Keppinger, and Howell which that will be a total of 22 plus million dollars.   Shield this year contract is 8 million dollars and next year will be 9 million dollars which that is only 1 million dollars extra toward to the payroll.  Tampa Bay total payroll for this year is 65 million dollars.  I am sure that Tampa will trade few of their own abritration case players such as Niemann, and others to free up payroll.  Also Tampa will trade their own players to get players to fill in their holes such as catcher, OF and others.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Shields' ERA this year is 3.88.  His career era is 3.95.  What exactly is it about the 3.88 that makes you think he's made any type of adjustment?  Is it the 2.82 era that he had last year?  It's an aberration - this year he's back to who he is, a pitcher with a career era of 3.95.

Fenway adds about 0.5 to a pitcher's ERA.  And if they pay $17 million for a pitcher with an era over 4, the crowd will crucify him and the GM.