Would you go all in for Cano as a Sox acquisition?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Re: Would you go all in for Cano as a Sox acquisition?

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There's a reason why the yankees want our guys but we don't want theirs.........

[/QUOTE]

yanks haven't allowed as many stars to leave over money

[/QUOTE]

Can't recall one off the top of my head that ever went off to amount to anything. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

By the way...

Mariners Willing To Pay Cano $230-240MM By Steve Adams[December 5, 2013 at 3:21pm CST]

Robinson Cano flew to Seattle to meet with the Mariners in person today, and the team has informed him that they are willing to pay as much as $230-240MM on a 10-year contract, according to Enrique Rojas of ESPNDeportes.com (Spanish link).

It was reported yesterday that the Mariners may have topped the Yankees' offer of roughly $170MM, but if true, the reported $230-240MM offer would shatter the Yankees' highest bid. The Mariners met with Cano's representatives on Tuesday, according to multiple reports, but this appears to be the first instance of Cano traveling to Seattle to meet with club officials.

Cano and agents Jay-Z of Roc Nation Sports and Brodie Van Wagenen of CAA are said to be seeking something in the neighborhood of $252MM. The Yankees reportedly will not offer Cano more than $200MM, and in the wake of that news, the offense-starved Mariners appear to have emerged as major players in the Cano sweepstakes.

[/QUOTE]

If the Yanks do get him, I'm happy that there is another team out there to bid them up.  If they do sign him and flex the money muscles, at least put as much pressure on as possible.  I would be shocked to see the Mariners get this done... they are known for pumping up fans and never following through on the big signings. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

This is an extremely dumb thread.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

By the way...

Mariners Willing To Pay Cano $230-240MM By Steve Adams[December 5, 2013 at 3:21pm CST]

Robinson Cano flew to Seattle to meet with the Mariners in person today, and the team has informed him that they are willing to pay as much as $230-240MM on a 10-year contract, according to Enrique Rojas of ESPNDeportes.com (Spanish link).

It was reported yesterday that the Mariners may have topped the Yankees' offer of roughly $170MM, but if true, the reported $230-240MM offer would shatter the Yankees' highest bid. The Mariners met with Cano's representatives on Tuesday, according to multiple reports, but this appears to be the first instance of Cano traveling to Seattle to meet with club officials.

Cano and agents Jay-Z of Roc Nation Sports and Brodie Van Wagenen of CAA are said to be seeking something in the neighborhood of $252MM. The Yankees reportedly will not offer Cano more than $200MM, and in the wake of that news, the offense-starved Mariners appear to have emerged as major players in the Cano sweepstakes.

[/QUOTE]

If the Yanks do get him, I'm happy that there is another team out there to bid them up.  If they do sign him and flex the money muscles, at least put as much pressure on as possible.  I would be shocked to see the Mariners get this done... they are known for pumping up fans and never following through on the big signings. 

[/QUOTE]

That is sort of a kind of money that Cano is looking for.  Will the Yankees trump the offer?   Maybe they can.  They could by increase the dollars per year, but more likely to go only up to 7 to 8 years.  So if the higher Cano want to increase the dollars per year, more likely less year that the Yankees will give him.  But I know that if Cano see that the Yankees want shorter years deal, I am sure that Cano will try to ask for 26 to 27 millions dollars a year.  No way that he ll take simular contract that the Ellsbury got.  So far Seattle is offering him 230 millions dollars sort of a contract.  Yankees may need to go to 200 millions dollars contract no matter how many years are involve.  

I wouldnt be shock if Cano goes to Seatte after he saw Ellsbury got an excellent offer from the Yankees!!   Not one player from the top two to three free agency in the last five somethings years have turn down the best offer to sign with the former team or the newest team.  Pujols, Wilson, Hamilton, Crawford, Werth, Ellsbury, etc all accepted the best offer that they can find, and they refused to take a discount offer!!

If Cano go to Seattle, and Boston make a good trade such as to get Kemp, sign Drew/Napoli or other, Boston will show that they made all the better moves than the yankees.

But that is if...if...if....!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This will kill Pedey's heart.  Sox gave him $100M but give Yankees 2B a $200M?? Loco... don't even think about it.

[/QUOTE]

Agree. If he signs with M's will be the best for everyone concerned. He's a great player no doubt , but NO.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to djcbuffum's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

There's a reason why the yankees want our guys but we don't want theirs.........

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Can't recall one off the top of my head that ever went off to amount to anything. 

[/QUOTE]

Andy Pettite to Houston.

[/QUOTE]

Mulligan... they got him back :-D

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

How come its dmb? oh   yeah

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Andy Pettite to Houston.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Goose Gossage, then. Sure his best years were in NY, but he was still very good for another decade after he left.

[/QUOTE]

I don't even recall Goose pitching as a little kid, so I would say that is a good track record if we have to reach that far back.  That said, Cano will be back with the Yanks and it will be business as usual.  All this hype is just posturing. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Andy Pettite to Houston.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Goose Gossage, then. Sure his best years were in NY, but he was still very good for another decade after he left.

[/QUOTE]

I don't even recall Goose pitching as a little kid, so I would say that is a good track record if we have to reach that far back.  That said, Cano will be back with the Yanks and it will be business as usual.  All this hype is just posturing. 

[/QUOTE]

Ooh, I got one! Hideki Matsui. Again, his last three years were unexceptional, but steady. 

[/QUOTE]

Nick Johnson had one good year with the Nats a good OBP when healthy which he never was

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

lets also keep in mind that not only salaries are going up, but revenue to mid market and smaller market teams is also on the rise.

The CBA expires in 2016....and the salary cap is going up.  It won't up about 18 million last time, I'm not sure if it goes up more than that, but I think there is a good chance that we have 3 years at 189 and then new cap will be over 200 million. 

[/QUOTE]

chances are the new number will be 210-220. Only way I would go after Cano would be 3 years/84 mill. go big for short term. sell him on the CBA going up and there being bigger contracts. Worth a shot. 

[/QUOTE]

Dumb

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Heres a more interesting question: Would Cano sign with us for less years than say, the Mariners, just to stick it to NY? Id love to have him, but not for more than 5-6 years.

[/QUOTE]

And if the Red Sox sign Cano, which has a 0% chance, where does he play?

Hmmm. Now we have two All-Star 2nd baseman. Let's move one out of position during his prime.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Prediction: Cano signs with the Yankees. BDC posters say, " Good. We don't need him. Too much money and too long a deal. " 

[/QUOTE]

LOL

they sure do love saving henrys money

[/QUOTE]

You sound like the mayor of Detroit that thought he still had money in the bank because he still had checks in the checkbook.

Out here in the real world, when you run out of money, you have no money left.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Heres a more interesting question: Would Cano sign with us for less years than say, the Mariners, just to stick it to NY? Id love to have him, but not for more than 5-6 years.

[/QUOTE]

And if the Red Sox sign Cano, which has a 0% chance, where does he play?

Hmmm. Now we have two All-Star 2nd baseman. Let's move one out of position during his prime.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

[/QUOTE]

Yup, spend money we don't have, on players that we don't need.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Marioguy424. Show Marioguy424's posts

Actually signing Cano would be ridiculous for all of the reasons noted above, but I don't see any harm in trying to drive up the price. Of course, if we went too far and Cano agreed to a deal with us, that would be a problem...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That is because they overpay them well past baseball usefulness...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And they will do the same for Cano... like death and taxes

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

as for length of contract....anything over 5 years for anyone is too long.  be it Cano, Pedroia, Pujols, Ruth, Williams, or Abner flippin' Doubleday. 

[/QUOTE]

I might have gone for a sixth year on Doubleday. 

[/QUOTE]

hahaha.  +2

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

NO CHANCE. It would be the dumbest signing in history if the Sox gave him an 8/200M deal...And you want to switch him across the diamond and play him out of position? No...Just...No

[/QUOTE]

Yep. Cano might take the offer Seattle gives him, it's the most he's going to get. Jay-Z putting those ridiculous 300 million claims out their hurt his client. What he should do is go back to the Yankees becuase he wont be nearly as effective in Seattle. And then fire Jay-Z who just got schooled by Boras.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] guess you need to re-review the chapter on death and taxes Tongue OutWink

Sections
Shortcuts