Would you have completed this deal?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jete02fann. Show Jete02fann's posts

Would you have completed this deal?

From MLB TRADE RUMORS:
  2. The Rockies wanted five of Boston's top prospects for Ubaldo Jimenez: Will Middlebrooks, Kyle Weiland, Josh Reddick, Felix Doubront, and Ryan Lavarnway.  The Red Sox would have gotten more than just Jimenez in return as Rosenthal tweets that the Rockies offered Jimenez and outfielder Seth Smith in return for the quintet of prospects.  There were other possible fits in such a deal including Ryan Spilborghs, Chris Iannetta, and Rafael Betancourt.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: Would you have completed this deal?

Seth Smith sounds like a nice middle America name, I would have done it just to acquire Seth Smith.

Now many of us have some hindsight and Jimenez already got beat down in his 1st Cleveland start. Keep that in mind fellow posters before you comment. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

No.

Jimenez has been very mediocre this season while pitching in the division with 3 of the 4 worst offenses in baseball. Smith's status as a platoon player varies weekly.

I'd have spent fewer prospects and tried to pry one of the overpriced but underrated arms from the Cubs - Dempster or Zambrano....

• You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

To me, the biggest red flag was the fact that the Rockies were so willing to move him.  Why would they trade a cost-controlled, young, top of the rotation starter for prospects??  I think the Sox and Yankees were wise to walk away from any deals like this proposed one.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

No, even Theo wasn't that stupid.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Would you have completed this deal?:
    From MLB TRADE RUMORS: The Rockies wanted five of Boston's top prospects for Ubaldo Jimenez : Will Middlebrooks , Kyle Weiland , Josh Reddick , Felix Doubront , and Ryan Lavarnway .  The Red Sox would have gotten more than just Jimenez in return as Rosenthal tweets that the Rockies offered Jimenez and outfielder Seth Smith in return for the quintet of prospects.  There were other possible fits in such a deal including Ryan Spilborghs , Chris Iannetta , and Rafael Betancourt .
    Posted by Jete02fann

If true, the Rockies GM is completely insane.  Bedard will work out well and if so may just get an offer from Theo for next season.

Lester
    Beckett
    Buchholz
    Bedard
    Lackey

Not a bad rotation, Wake will probably retire.  The only reason we may not re-sign Bedard is the fact Miller and Doubront are also leftes. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ive always thought Jimenez was a perfect canidate for TJ...So , No..I didnt want to give up the future for a middle/back of the rotation pitcher...

• You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

In Response to Would you have completed this deal?:
    From MLB TRADE RUMORS: The Rockies wanted five of Boston's top prospects for Ubaldo Jimenez : Will Middlebrooks , Kyle Weiland , Josh Reddick , Felix Doubront , and Ryan Lavarnway .  The Red Sox would have gotten more than just Jimenez in return as Rosenthal tweets that the Rockies offered Jimenez and outfielder Seth Smith in return for the quintet of prospects.  There were other possible fits in such a deal including Ryan Spilborghs , Chris Iannetta , and Rafael Betancourt .
    Posted by Jete02fann

Not Reddick.  Kalish perhaps.  

• You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

No I wouldn't because of this.

"Ubaldo is what I like to call an unknown known entity. We know he has talent but it is tough to peg his true talent level right now, if his velocity continues to drop, and his hurky-jurky windup is considered a massive health risk. Yes, his peripherals and ERA estimators are almost identical to the marks posted in each of the last two seasons, but I’m not ready to write off the ERA difference strictly as luck-laden, when he is throwing almost three miles per hour slower on average. There is a big difference in the outlooks of the 96-mph Jimenez and the 93-mph version of himself." Eric Seidman - July 31, 2011

Seidman is an authority, in Buster Olney class. Did he say Lowrie was an elite MLB SS?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

no way would i do that. but you have to wonder if that report is true. I mean considering that the rockies got 2 of clevelands top prospects for jimenez and they wanted 5 from the sox. That just does not make sense. Why would they as for so much more from the sox than cleveland? Even if seth smith was in the deal he has minimal trade value. This just does not add up.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I wouldn't have been too thrilled about swapping Smith and Reddick, they are both lefty OFers, so we don't get a righty back to platoon w/ Drew. Smith currently has more power but is also 5 years older so Reddick has the much higher ceiling.

I'd have traded Weiland, Felix and either a Chiang/Lavarnway duo or a Kalish/Lars duo for Ubaldo.

It would hurt to lose Felix and Lavarnway... Chiang, Kalish, Lars and Weiland are all blocked from making serious impacts over the next few years. You don't give up Middlebrooks when he is slated to become the starting 3B in 2013 with Youk and AGon sharing 1B/DH. In that scenario Lavarnway is more expendable as he'd be only in the catching mix with Salty and not in the DH mix.

Ubaldo in an off year is just as good an option as a 4 starter than Bedard off an injury. Then you have him reasonably priced with a lot of upside after this season, which to me is worth propsects who are not of our top 4 guys we'd only be trading in a packge for an all-star.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

There are only a hand full of pitchers worth that haul:

Roy Halladay
    Tim Lincecum
    Cole Hamels
    Felix Hernandez
    Clayton Kershaw

You dont mortgage the farm for soso starters who have been great in the past.  Its all about what have you done for me lately.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: Would you have completed this deal?:
    There are only a hand full of pitchers worth that haul: Roy Halladay Tim Lincecum Cole Hamels Felix Hernandez Clayton Kershaw You dont mortgage the farm for soso starters who have been great in the past.  Its all about what have you done for me lately.
    Posted by jb12bb

We emptied the farm for AGon.

That package doesn't even include our 2 best prospects. Only Middlebrooks is a top 100 guy in the minors in that deal (Reddick is now a major leaguer).

i'd have to think the 2 pitchers Cleve sent, their best 2 guys, have more value than M'Brooks and reddick.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

WOW !

Rockies' G.M. must be on drugs. I was / AM pretty high on Ubaldo Jimenez, especially away from Coors Field. BUT that haul would've been WAY too much.
    I'd have been okay with Middlebrooks, either Ranaudo or Weiland, plus lesser prospects; but not 5 of our top 6 !

It's quite possibly a good thing I'm not the Sox G.M. .

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mjnmjn. Show mjnmjn's posts

You always ask high. The Rockies would have settled for less, but they were looking for the best deal possible. I think we got a better pitcher in the end. BTW I will be shocked if Wake is not back next year. He adds insurance to the rotation and there will be a major gala/promotion night when he overtakes Clemens/Young for the Red Sox all-time lead in wins.

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Way too much to give up. Jiminez has lost velocity and is not nearly the pitcher he was early last year.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

In Response to Re: Would you have completed this deal?:
    To me, the biggest red flag was the fact that the Rockies were so willing to move him.  Why would they trade a cost-controlled, young, top of the rotation starter for prospects??   I think the Sox and Yankees were wise to walk away from any deals like this proposed one.
    Posted by siestafiesta

Couldn't agree more, why a pitching poor organization was so willing to move him should have been all you need to know.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

I would have done the deal for Felix but would have hung on to Lavarnway. Maybe Iglesias could have been substituted. Felix just kills the Yankees!

A poster, surpa, wanted to trade Bucholz for Salty.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

Too bad you can't google the archives here and search for "deer in the headlights" and see what comes up.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

No way, I too have been wondering why the rockies have wanted to trade him away.  No way on this trade.

• Sections
    Shortcuts