Would you let Bard start next season?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Would you let Bard start next season?

Bard indicated early this season to reporters that someday he would like to start. If the Sox sign Papelbon to a  3-year contract extension, would you grant his request. It would be easier for Theo to find a highly effective late inning reliever than a top of the rotation starter. And an opposing team would want your top minor league talent in a trade. For example, look what Colorado wanted for Jimenez. Does Bard have enough pitches to be a top of the rotation starter? I don't know. But I would let him try.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Re: Would you let Bard start next season?

I,m sure Pap is on his way out, and that the RS are looking for Bard to fill that role.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mt200. Show Mt200's posts

He has pitches to be top of rotation starter. Putting it together is different thing. It's hard to repeat your delivery over 100 times.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

no. he has shown a propensity for giving up the long ball. He is better suited for short outings where he can't get hurt as much. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Assuming Pap is re-signed , I would give Bard a shot at starting. He has the stuff to possibly be a front of the rotation guy.  Might need to develop another pitch, maybe a cutter.  If it did not work out, he could return to a relief role. I think he is too talented a .pitcher to be a career set-up man.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Nope.  If they don't keep paps around, he is the closer.  And, if they do, I am good with the best back end in the game (F*** Roberston/Mo).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

don't forget Papelbon started his first few Sox games. He found his calling as a reliever. Lowe and Eckersley made career changes in opposite directions. You never know, but I just like Bard in that short 1 inning stint mode. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

If the clock isn't broken, don't fix it.

He was initially a starter in college and the minors....could not get it done at the professional level.

Trying him at starter would screw him up like the yankees did with Chamberlain.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

amps, exactly.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Papelbon has been abused and called stupid and redneck by most Red Sox fans. He should sign with another team.

Bard has the right to try and get paid more and a longer FA deal as a starter. He can use his agent to get what he wants. I would advise him not to try starting, as he does not have change of speeds on pitch assortment to excel 3 and 4 times through most lineups on a consistent basis.

Papelbon should be extended because he has proven he can handle the job and do well in the AL East. But, I would advise him to play Theo to create a bigger market and then sign with another big market and give the rear end to most Red Sox fans and Theo.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

If the Sox keep Papelbon ad Wheeler, along with Aceves and Albers, and Jenks returns healthy (and thinner?) then I'd say let him stretch it out in the Spring.  He needs to show a good change-up to make it as a starter.

I'm not sure about the argument about letting up too many homers.  That same argument could be used as to why he should not be the closer!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

geez, soft, I agree with Papelbon being overly abused by idiot fans. He is an outstanding closer. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: Would you let Bard start next season?:
    If the clock isn't broken, don't fix it. He was initially a starter in college and the minors....could not get it done at the professional level. Trying him at starter would screw him up like the yankees did with Chamberlain.
    Posted by ampoule
    Agree. If Papelbon leaves, Bard will close; if Papelbon stays, Bard will set up, and more than once could go more than one inning. If discontent begins to show, Theo and Terry will have to deal with it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

If the Sox keep Papelbon ad Wheeler, along with Aceves and Albers, and Jenks returns healthy (and thinner?) then I'd say let him stretch it out in the Spring.  He needs to show a good change-up to make it as a starter. I'm not sure about the argument about letting up too many homers.  That same argument could be used as to why he should not be the closer!
    Posted by parhunter1

that was my argument, I can't trust Bard to close, but I can trust him to be a set up guy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

danny, I don't like the bigoted double standard of most Red Sox fans. Seriously, Papelbon should look at the abuse he has taken. Branded by the fans and media as this stupid loose redneck cannon, he should also look at how Drew has been abused over contract.

Theo likes to play to the fan bigotry and use it for business purposes. Papelbon should send a message and pull one on Theo and fans. I want him back, of course.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

soft, that was a mantra of mine back in the day. My whole thing has been the Sox organization's history of treating players who do well for them poorly, but give out giant paychecks to the free agents who never played a day for Sox. It is a PR spin machine, I agree. I get sick of it. Papelbon is a tremendous closer, and his performance has actually been better this season, an indication that he could go as long as Rivera in the length of service to the team. I was one of the few Carl Everett fans (very few), but I thought he got run out of town on a rail. I think Nomar got maligned by the PR machine. I think Mo Vaughn was painted poorly on the way out the door. 20-20 hindsight on those guys might be great for fans, but they were treated poorly and they at least did well for Sox.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Manny was also another guy who was painted poorly, although too many sources have indicated he was doing a prima donna thing to the max before traded. But he has been thrown under a bus by the same fans who were running to the Duck Boat parades with Sox No. 1 Fingers.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

On Manny, I still insist, had the Sox just re-upped the 20 mil option instead of playing the agent game, some of the stuff with Manny never would have happened. He was like any star player, he wanted what he thought he was worth, and he was easily worth 20 million. He proved it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickEO. Show RickEO's posts

Absolutely. When I think of him as a starter ,I think Verlander. He would need another pitch as does Lackey.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

He could not make it through the minors as a starter why would he be able to do it in the majors?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lhtak. Show lhtak's posts

It is tempting idea; I would give it a try, especially if we can sign pap for few more years. Aceves can fill in relieving role nicely. Justin Masterson made a very succesful transition and turned out to be one of the best SP; we lost one very good SP by not turning him into SP sooner. If Bard can turn out anyway close to Masterson, Sox SP will be close to Phillies SP, may be the best in Majors. We will have B4L2 (Becket, Lester, Bucholz, Bard, Bedard/Lackey).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

On Manny, I still insist, had the Sox just re-upped the 20 mil option instead of playing the agent game, some of the stuff with Manny never would have happened. He was like any star player, he wanted what he thought he was worth, and he was easily worth 20 million. He proved it.
    Posted by dannycater
    Don't ever ask the Dodgers or their fans if they think Manny Ramirez was worth $20M in 2009.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

danny, I don't like the bigoted double standard of most Red Sox fans. Seriously, Papelbon should look at the abuse he has taken. Branded by the fans and media as this stupid loose redneck cannon, he should also look at how Drew has been abused over contract.

But, it's Ok for you to bash Crawford's play and contract. If the media follows your lead, wouldn't they be racist?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

No, Crawford's critics are based upon Theo's absurd decision on a contract. Not becuase he's a "stupid boomboxing slackard". Crawford could hit .400 and he'd still never be as popular as Varitek et al. You know that, but will pretend otherwise.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Soft, you're willfully ignorant of all the criticism Wakefield takes from Boston fans when he gets hit hard, and Varitek gets when he looks bad at the plate and pops up 3-0 pitches.  Red Sox fans don't spare anybody who's underperforming.  

Sections
Shortcuts