would you like an OF...

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: would you like an OF...

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

You don't like J. Upton?

You don't like a minor league contract, see above terms, to Sizemore and Pods to patch to Bradkley, Jr.? (Sweeney and or Johnson bench guy)

You don't like a platoon of Kalish and Ross or DYoung or R Johnons on the above terms?

What is your specific 2013 OF and beyond OF plans?

I'm not the huge fan many are of Upton, neither brother has been great. Justins defense is probably as bad as BJ"s offense.  Pod?  I would take as a backup over Grady any day. Sizemore is like Salty, some power and defense but no plate discipline at all.  

As far as 2013 and behond?  Let me think about it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

I feel the same way about our future in the OF as with aquiring a young pitcher like Hultzen or Walker to bring along with Barnes.  We at least have guys like Barnes and De La Rosa that could fill the pitching need.  I would love to see the Sox address the OF, or inquire about a kid to bring along with Bradley.

Christian Yelich "20 Miami" 

Oscar Taveras "20 STL" or even Wil Myers, a 21 year old in the KC organization that TB is high on if they move a SP might be a good move.  We could be surprised somewhere along the way with Kalish or Brentz but the only kids I consider untouchable are Barnes, Bogaerts and Bradley.  These guys are kids you package to land a Felix H. or Ryan Braun type of proven talent.  I know a few of you will say these prospects are untouchable but as we have all seen it comes down to a teams need.

As far as 2013?  If we don't have any intension of trying to land Josh Hamilton/franchise player, or maybe attempt a trade, then Ells, re-signing Ross and gap filler may be all we have left.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

I could care less about Ross but why the FO would not have brought him back already as a stop-gap I do not know.

Because he thinks he can get 3 yrs / 25M

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:

these are the OFders left of free-agents...

josh hamilton

shane victorino

nick swisher

cody ross

ryan ludwick

ichiro suzuki....we can sign one of them and make a trade for another? or we could sign 2 of them...i don't see us trading for 2 OFders.

There is also...

Michael Bourn

Angel Pagon

Delmon Young

Jonny Gomes

Scott Hairston

and others...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

It would be amazing if they could trade for Stanton. Him and Middlebrooks could be the power in the heart of the line up for years. Realistically Ross, Ellsbury, and a FA outfielder. Between 1st or the OF the Sox need one more 30 HR 800 OPS type.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We need a solid 1/2 slot starter first.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

these are the OFders left of free-agents...

josh hamilton

shane victorino

nick swisher

cody ross

ryan ludwick

ichiro suzuki....we can sign one of them and make a trade for another? or we could sign 2 of them...i don't see us trading for 2 OFders.

There is also...

Michael Bourn

Angel Pagon

Delmon Young

Jonny Gomes

Scott Hairston

and others...

sorry..i should have said OFders i want....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

It would be amazing if they could trade for Stanton. Him and Middlebrooks could be the power in the heart of the line up for years. Realistically Ross, Ellsbury, and a FA outfielder. Between 1st or the OF the Sox need one more 30 HR 800 OPS type.

that would be...laroche or hamilton...i think napoli could hit 25 to 28 HR's also..not sure about the OPS though....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

that would be...laroche or hamilton...i think napoli could hit 25 to 28 HR's also..not sure about the OPS though....

I really like LaRoche, he would a lot cheaper than Hamilton and has been a 800 OPS guy his whole career.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Upton, neither brother has been great.

There aren't many MLB players in history that have been great by age 24. J. Upton has a last 3 years .361 OBP and an OPS of .830 in the NL for the DBacks in the NL West.  I can only imagine what those numbers would be in Fenway, playing tiny LF like Manny once did.

As far as 2013?  If we don't have any intension of trying to land Josh Hamilton/franchise player, or maybe attempt a trade, then Ells, re-signing Ross and gap filler may be all we have left.

Franchise players don't miss the time and aren't the age Hamilton is when he starts his absurd FA contract that have become almost automatic "WTF did we do that for". More importantly, he's a better fit for the Yankees and would not put anything close to the Texas heat numbers he put up when he was in his prime, which he no longer is.

Ross isn't worth 3 years and 20 million plus. He has competition that can platoon. 2 and base 5 should be the final offer for this journey man.

MLB is a business that requires specific plans in detail, with a serious of detailed options if the market makes player acquistion a Crawbust or soon to be Hamilton type of mistake.

The Red Sox have Ortiz, paid a year too long, but that's done. They need a talented young RH bat in the OF. Once again, they have zero plans, their last plan was Crawbust as a WTF? They need to get on with acquiring J. Upton and VMart or Napoli or platoon Loney and Gomez for a season and see if the FA and trade 1st base market moves from overpriced bums to a fit and value for the Red Sox.

The starting pitching market is usualy a joke, and this year it's a big joke. Nothing but 2nd rate pitchers and 1st rate contract costs, which is a mistake the Red Sox seem to keep making and expecting a different result in a market and league and division where everyday players are way more important than  2nd rate every 5 day bums.

Upton would not be Rameriz type player in Boston, far from it. He will hit about 20 home runs and drive in about 80. He is basically a young Cody Ross.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

25/90 with 30 plus stolen-bases works for me to.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

No, they aren't. Young platooning for 2 years and base 6 offer is way better value then these old men. Young's market may be more than that, but there is no doubt that the 30 to 40M costs for these two old platoon guys is certain and laughable.

At least Victorino and Ichiro can still play defense. Young is a nightmare in the field.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Upton gets caught stealing on half his attempts and has poor defense as well. he hasnt been great the last 3 years, hes been inconsistent. Sure he has monster potential. Whether he truly realizes that potential is a different story.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Maybe he and his brother are one in the same.  Farrel likes to send his runners, and many people in  Toronto claimed he ran his team in to too many outs. I for one like speed and want to run but when someone steals 20 bases and gets thrown out 12 times it really does not ad up. Maybe an Upton/Farrel combination would be bad.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I would take a chance on BOTH Upton brothers as I think that they would play well together, protect each other from the media and challenge each other every day.

Both are far better athletes than Victorino, Young, Ichiro (at this stage of his career), Ross and most of the other outfielders mentioned already in this thread.  They are more durable than Ellsbury and Sizemore, etc as well.

Both are younger than most of the outfielders mentioned and will not be that much more expensive than a guy like Napoli is looking to be.  Neither guy will be much more than 30 at the end of Justin's contract.

Both are right handed hitters who have produced 20+ home run seasons and playing 81 games in Fenway might get the Sox two 25-30 HR outfielders with 80-100 RBIs.

Together they are going to earn about 25 million per year for the next 3 years which is about what Hamilton will get from someone and other guys like Texiera, ARod, Crawford, Gonzalez, Fielder, Cabrera, Lee, etc already get.

Signing one of them and trading for the other is going to cost at least a couple of top prospects, but these guys are already major league players.  Brentz may be great but he cannot help much this year.

Trade Ellsbury for  pitching, sign Sizemore and hope he can stay healthy and do something, use Kalish as your defensive replacement if he can't beat out Sizemore and let Sands or some other young guy have a chance in left field.  Sweeney is a cheap defensive outfielder to keep around.  Posednik is a little older, but served well as a fill in last season.  When Bradley is ready, guys like Sizemore, Sweeney, etc are let go.

Yes, both Uptons have flaws, but even some of the 20+ million per year guys have some flaws, too.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I could care less about Ross but why the FO would not have brought him back already as a stop-gap I do not know.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Who can blame him?  Over the past 6 seasons his total fangraphs value is $60m, why should he settle for the absurd amount Stiffy suggests is "value".

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

Who can blame him?  Over the past 6 seasons his total fangraphs value is $60m, why should he settle for the absurd amount Stiffy suggests is "value".

"Stiffy" is living in the past. He has never made an offer suggestion within even 50% of the eventual agreed price value of a signed FA. If he was a GM, he'd never sign a FA. Even his $1M offers for journeymen pitchers are way off. last year all 5 of his suggested $1M offers SPs signed for $3M or more.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Yes the Uptons might challenge one another to play better or they might both sit over in the corner of the locker room with silly smirks on their faces, laughing and giggling at getting paid millions to underachieve.

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Compare J. Upton to Ross at age 24. In Boston, he becomes a 30 HR and 100RBI annual producer. Cody Ross is a career journey man.

The only good Upton move for Boston would be to sign them both.  Justin to hit and his brother to play the OF for him.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Upton gets caught stealing on half his attempts and has poor defense as well. he hasnt been great the last 3 years, hes been inconsistent. Sure he has monster potential. Whether he truly realizes that potential is a different story.

Justins upside is his age and offense without a doubt southpaw.  He isn't a very intelligent base runner or OF.  Would or could he help us?  Probably but I can see a lot of our fans now complaing about his OF play. 

• Sections
    Shortcuts