Would you make this offer for Kemp?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Would you make this offer for Kemp?

I know we have discussed this in the past but I don't see the Dodgers paying both Kemp and Either long term.  How many of you would consider this trade before the deadline.  Signing Kemp to an extension would be key to the deal.  

#1 Sox offer Jacoby, Doubront and Lackey for Kemp who will play CF. 
    We could try to re-sign Jacoby first if the Dodgers are willing to keep him, or offer Kalish or Reddick instead.  In this case the package would be Lackey, Doubront, Reddick or Kalish and a throw in like Lars if they lose Loney next season.  If Miller pitches well, Doubront could be expendable.

#2 The Sox agree to pay the remainder of Lackeys salary this season and 5mil the last three of his contract.  Losing any number of players like J.D, Cameron, Scutaro, Pap, Tek or others should allow us to re-sign Kemp and move forward with Adrians new contract.

If the Dodgers just lose these players after 2011 they will have about 38mil off the books.  43mil if they lose Loney

Karoda "12mil" Lackeys cost? "10mil" for 2012-14 less than the 36 year old
    Broxton "7mil" not doing well hes most likely gone
    Kemp "7mil" Say Jacoby gets Kemp 7mil, or they choose another option
    Furcal 12mil LA won't pick up his club option in 2012.  His replacement is playing well.  Otherwise I would say Lowrie could be part of the package

The Dodgers could possibly end up with Doubront, Lackey and Ells for say 3 years at say 17 mil combined.  Or Lackey, Doubront, either Kalish or Reddick and Lars for around 11/12mil next season.  Either way they significantly reduce their payrol and have a pretty good return.  We may need to replace Lackey at some point but hopefully for much less.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gready. Show Gready's posts

Re: Would you make this offer for Kemp?

Lackey?  So we take their stud player, give them a couple of prospects and make them take Lackey?  Why wouldn't they just sign Kemp if they assume most of Lackey's salary?  Kalish, Felix D., the young SS prospect, and maybe Lars, and we get Kemp and have to take on another contract they don't want (like when we had to take Lowell in order to get Becket).  The sellers are not going to take on more salary, especially a long term bad contract like Lackey's.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

That's a little steep for my liking. I DO want to trade Ellsbury, but with how he's been playing, the price has gone up. Kemp, to me, is only slightly more valuable than Ellsbury.

One thing to consider, teams no longer get compensentory (spelling) picks for exiting free agents. Last year was the last year to cash in on that, that, to me, makes players much more tradeable.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In Response to Re: Would you make this offer for Kemp?:
    [QUOTE]Lackey?  So we take their stud player, give them a couple of prospects and make them take Lackey?  Why wouldn't they just sign Kemp if they assume most of Lackey's salary?  Kalish, Felix D., the young SS prospect, and maybe Lars, and we get Kemp and have to take on another contract they don't want (like when we had to take Lowell in order to get Becket).  The sellers are not going to take on more salary, especially a long term bad contract like Lackey's.
    Posted by Gready[/QUOTE]

Though I don't agree with the deal as spelled out by the OP, he did mention sending 5mil per year for the remainder. Lackey at around 10-11 is about what he's worth. That's just the price of starting pitching, there are a LOT of potchers a lot worse than Lackey making around 12 per year...in fact, I think the Mets have a handful themselves.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Lackey?  So we take their stud player, give them a couple of prospects and make them take Lackey?  Why wouldn't they just sign Kemp if they assume most of Lackey's salary?  Kalish, Felix D., the young SS prospect, and maybe Lars, and we get Kemp and have to take on another contract they don't want (like when we had to take Lowell in order to get Becket).  The sellers are not going to take on more salary, especially a long term bad contract like Lackey's.
    Posted by Gready[/QUOTE]

They won't sign Kemp because he doesn't want to stay in LA like Ethier does.  Kemp will cost them a lot more than Lackey if we pay some of his salary.  The Dodgers won't be paying Kemp, Either and Kuroda.  I see Kemp getting 13mil or more easy on the market.   

Lackey would probably have more success in the NL with less pressure on him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]That's a little steep for my liking. I DO want to trade Ellsbury, but with how he's been playing, the price has gone up. Kemp, to me, is only slightly more valuable than Ellsbury. One thing to consider, teams no longer get compensentory (spelling) picks for exiting free agents. Last year was the last year to cash in on that, that, to me, makes players much more tradeable.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

I think Kemp will get much more than Jacoby on the open market.  Thats just my opinion that could easily be wrong. I would love to keep Jacoby but you don't get Kemp in my opinion without giving the Dodgers a solid replacement in CF.  Kalish and Reddick would be risky if I'm Dodger management.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would you make this offer for Kemp? : Though I don't agree with the deal as spelled out by the OP, he did mention sending 5mil per year for the remainder. Lackey at around 10-11 is about what he's worth. That's just the price of starting pitching, there are a LOT of potchers a lot worse than Lackey making around 12 per year...in fact, I think the Mets have a handful themselves.

I agree, Lackey is definately not worth more than 10mil.  I do think he and Dice may have better luck pitching in the NL with less pressure.  That is, if Dice ever pitches again.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]One thing to consider, teams no longer get compensentory (spelling) picks for exiting free agents. Last year was the last year to cash in on that, that, to me, makes players much more tradeable.
    No agreement has been reached on compensatory draft picks.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Please!  NEWS FLASH!!!!   NOBODY'S gonna want Lackey!  Ells. is a far better VALUE to the Red Sox for the next 2 years...  He WILL make big $ once he goes to FA.

Other than those 2 MAJOR sticking points....

Who wouldn't want Kemp?

Second news flash...  We bet the farm on Crawford!  I don't see the Sox going spending big $ on another FA outfielder!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

I would do this deal in a minute. I just don't think that the Dodgers are dumb enough to take Lackey nor is any other team.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Please!  NEWS FLASH!!!!   NOBODY'S gonna want Lackey!  Ells. is a far better VALUE to the Red Sox for the next 2 years...  He WILL make big $ once he goes to FA. Other than those 2 MAJOR sticking points.... Who wouldn't want Kemp? Second news flash...  We bet the farm on Crawford!  I don't see the Sox going spending big $ on another FA outfielder!
    Posted by redsoxdirtdog[/QUOTE]

Crawford will be fine if not I will be very surprised.  Lackey I agree would be a tough sell but someone would probably take him for 10mil.  I felt the same way about Dice before he was injured.  Don't forget pitchers like these would be considered an upgrade for many teams.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gready. Show Gready's posts

There are mediocre prospects on most AA rosters that are better than Lackey.  I'll take this one step further, if not for salary, Michael Bowden (not a blue chip prospect, just a mediocre one)would be in the rotation right now instead of Lackey.  The Sox are stuck marching him out there for now due to the ridiculous contract.  I don't even know if Lackey would be picked up if he were released.

NO WAY THE DODGERS (OR ANYONE ELSE) TAKE HIM FOR FREE!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would you make this offer for Kemp? : They won't sign Kemp because he doesn't want to stay in LA like Ethier does.  Kemp will cost them a lot more than Lackey if we pay some of his salary.  The Dodgers won't be paying Kemp, Either and Kuroda.  I see Kemp getting 13mil or more easy on the market.    Lackey would probably have more success in the NL with less pressure on him.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

I don't know where you got that info from.  I live in the Los Angeles area and one thing Kemp has been adamant about is that he wants to keep playing for the Dodgers.  It is Ethier who has been making noise about getting a big contract and doubting he will get it from the broke Dodgers unless a new owner with deep pockets takes over the team from the slimy McCourts.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

no way, this is a fantasy trade.  LA and Boston simply are not a fit, we don't have anything they want.

Doubront would be a piece LA would take, teams always look for young talent pitching, but he is a secondary and not a primary piece.  Ellsbury is worth nothing to them because he has only one year before he reaches free agency than Kemp does and he is a Boras client.

The Reddick/Kalish scenario would work if either of those players had a higher ceiling, but they don't so I'm afraid we just don't have the pieces.  

I've been contemplating the idea of what we are going to do in RF to replace Drew.  We cannot really afford to put another superstar there because the payroll is already high enough, and even though a lot of money is coming off the books, Gonzo's contract kicks in plus arbitration raises plus other needs and extensions that will need to be addressed leaves less flexibility than some of us think.

I think the talent may be in our own system but it could possibly be at a lower level.  I think we either plug that hole up with Reddick or Kalish for a year or two or we make a trade for a player of the likes of Willingham, Beltran, or a Marlyn Bryd.  Bryd may be the more logical choice because both Beltran and willingham are free agents in 2012.

If Kemp finds his way to Boston I'd be as excited as anyone......but I'll bet anything it's never going to happen.  Well ok not anything, I wouldn't bet my life or all my money....but you get my point. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Lackey is the type of guy who would be in a bad contract for bad contract deal.....there is no way he fits into a trade for one of the best players in all of baseball. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

If Ellsbury is worth nothing to them since he has two more years before FA, that means Kemps is worth less than zero to them because he has only one more year to FA.   

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]If Ellsbury is worth nothing to them since he has two more years before FA, that means Kemps is worth less than zero to them because he has only one more year to FA.   
    Posted by betterredthandead[/QUOTE]

Ok let me rephrase that.  The fact that Ellsbury only has ONE (not two) years more than Kemp untill free agency does not make him as attractive to a team that is looking to unload talent in a fire sale and rebuild. 

I know you love Kemp softy, and who can blame you...and I know you hate Ellsbury, but it's not a good match up. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Why would the LAD take Ellsbury as a main piece for Kemp..to have an extra year of arb befor3 another FA hits the market and then their stuck with leftovers? I would think that they are looking for young ,cost effective talent under control for at least 4 years. CT is right..Bad matchup..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"Lackey at around 10-11 is about what he's worth. That's just the price of starting pitching, there are a LOT of potchers a lot worse than Lackey making around 12 per year...in fact, I think the Mets have a handful themselves."

I'd love to see your long list of "potchers" a lot worse than Lackey making around $12 mil per year.  Statistically, he is the worst starting pitcher in baseball right now.  If he was immediately given free agency, I don't see a long list of teams ready to throw $10-11 mil his way.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

L.A. would want Ellsbury talent with a Ryan Kalish arby clock.   Boston doesn't have any of those position players right now, they do have some prospects in the lower levels who have tremendous upside.  However the bust possibility of a lower level prospect is much higher so you'd still have to throw in MLB ready outfield talent.  So if you ask me the trade starts (but doesn't end) with a Reddick/Brentz and rounds out with a Ranaudo, or if your lucky a Doubront. 

Oh no, now I'm dreaming up trade scenarios.  It's like imagining winning the lottery, you start thinking about all the homes you'll buy and how you'll take care of your family/friends and then it sinks in that your more likely to get struck by lightening and you just get disappointed. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

only one GM is dumb enough to adopt lackey, and, unfortunately, he's the one that works for the RED SOX.
    why don't you throw DREW in the deal to make it even more attractive.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would you make this offer for Kemp? : They won't sign Kemp because he doesn't want to stay in LA like Ethier does.  Kemp will cost them a lot more than Lackey if we pay some of his salary.  The Dodgers won't be paying Kemp, Either and Kuroda.  I see Kemp getting 13mil or more easy on the market.    Lackey would probably have more success in the NL with less pressure on him.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

i envision lackey being overwhelming in SINGLE A baseball. anything beyond that, he's gonna take a licking.
    the DODGERS, unlike theo, aren't that stupid.
    LACKEY, like DREW, will be a RED SOX ALBATROSS for the remainder of his contract. thanks again theo. fine job!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Did u see MLBTR? Gammons said Baker (Cubs) or Spilborghs (Rockies), r who the Sox are looking at. They may as well keep Cameron out there!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would you make this offer for Kemp? : i envision lackey being overwhelming in SINGLE A baseball. anything beyond that, he's gonna take a licking. the DODGERS, unlike theo, aren't that stupid. LACKEY, like DREW, will be a RED SOX ALBATROSS for the remainder of his contract. thanks again theo. fine job!
    Posted by --the--yazzer[/QUOTE]

Thanks guys, I guess the majority of you feel nobody would take Lackey off our hands at even 10mil?  Lucky us :)

Sections
Shortcuts