Would you sign Papelbon for 3 years/$45 million?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Would you sign Papelbon for 3 years/$45 million?

If that's what it takes to keep him here? Or would you let Bard or Jenks take over the closer role in 2012? Or should Theo look for someone else outside the organization?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

Re: Would you sign Papelbon for 3 years/$45 million?

I'd wait and see if he returns to the '04, '07 model.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

Wait till the end of the year.  Injuries are always possible.  Paps turns 32 next season exactly the age when pitcher's typically start to break down, particularly power pitchers.  Sox managements should negotiate a 2 years guaranteed  contract and a third option year is probably more advisable.  If he can get more in the open market it is probably wise to let him walk because the likelihood of him being viable in a 4th or 5th season are long odds.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

No one should commit that kind of money to Paps.  4 years, $39.99M is the longest deal Mo ever got.  Paps really doesn't compare to Mo when he got his 3 year $45M deal.  I would offer Paps 3 years, $33M with a club option for $11M ($2M buy out).  That's assuming he keeps pitching the way he has this year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Dave,

Neither Soriano or Benoit were ever as good as Papelbon.

I could see going three years at $40M, something like $15M, $13M, $12M (something like that) with a buyout option available for the third year and performance bonuses for the second and third year that could make it worth $45M. That would protect the Sox if he fades after two years and reward Papelbon if he stays at high level like Mariano did.

That's if he continues to have an excellent year. It is a gamble, but pitching is always a gamble. He's been an excellent reliever so I'd rather keep him than risk bringing in someone new or unproven.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesey271975. Show jamesey271975's posts

Yes

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wonderdrums. Show wonderdrums's posts

Since he's making 12 million this season, I think 3yrs for 36 million is fair along with plenty of incentives to earn more each season. Bonuses for IP,K's, and of course saves. If he reaches the Sox desired totals let him have another three million a season. If Paps hits his save total bonus along with IP that means the Sox are winning games! He gets paid better than average and gets rewarded on top of it for his in season accomplishments. Go Sox!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from billsrul. Show billsrul's posts

No way.  maybe 3 years 30 million, with incentives that could get it up to 35 million.  But that's the absolute max, and the closer you could keep it to 3/30 the better

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

He's going to hit the open market and if he finshes the year like he's done so far,somebody is going to offer him a boatload of money.He's not giving a hometown discount either.I think the 3 year/45M isn't out of the question,he may get more. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Wait to see, obviously, but at this point I'd lean yes.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Of course wait but, I'd do 2/30 w/ a vesting option for a 3rd year @ 15 million.......unless another team REALLY wants him OR unless he really wants to leave, that would get it done.  no need to gaurantee a 3rd year at big bucks....maybe if he wants to do 3/36 I'd do it........but not 3/45......no matter how well he does because as a closer it is subject to change at anytime

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

wonderdrums, incentives can't be for performance statistics like saves or Ks.  They can be for non-performance stats like IP and games finished though.  So if there are incentives it would have to be of that ilk.   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

No.

Only Rivera deserved that kind of money.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

that is too much money with Bard waiting in the wings...that money could be better spent on a starter to replace dice or a right fielder

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from drpjn. Show drpjn's posts

I would not discuss this issue, from ANY perspective, until the end of the Red Sox season.

All talk until then is moot.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

Sure.  It's Mr Henry's money, and he has a lot of it, and he considers investment in Red Sox show reasonable return for him, whether is it commercial, or just a trophy that he enjoys.

It's what I call a win-win.

I think $12M for 3 years + 1 year option at same level is reasonable offer that should keep him here.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If Jeter is worth 3/51 then Pap may be worth 3/45

maybe they can get him for a 3/40 with a some player option years that are incentive based......maybe. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

I don't think anyone will offer him that kind of money.  Look at some of the signings of that type (less Rivera) and they've usually not worked out.  I think he'll end up signing for about what he's making now.  The years of the contract will probably trump the dollars/per/year.  Seems like in the NL, alot of teams are going with younger guns for closers - and it wouldn't make sense for a team to pay too much for a closer.  Of course, if he puts up terrific numbers this year it will make him more attractive, but I just can't see 15 M/year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano09. Show Modano09's posts

He might be more valuable to the Red Sox than he'd be anywhere else. Not to over-look the value of a dependable closer, but not every team in the league is going to want a high priced one. Teams that aren't likely to win many games in the next two or three years don't need an expensive closer. 

I don't think he'll have as many suitors as he thinks he will, but the ones who will be after him are likely to be contenders with money...the usual suspects. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

If he continues to pitch as effectively as he has through July/August,you have got to at least give serious thought to offering Paps a contract in that range,in terms  of years and dollars.Let's all be patient and see what transpires over the next two to three months.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Would you sign Papelbon for 3 years/$45 million?:
    [QUOTE]If Jeter is worth 3/51 then Pap may be worth 3/45 maybe they can get him for a 3/40 with a some player option years that are incentive based......maybe. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

Please don't tell me you actually believe Jeter was worth 3/51.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1for89. Show 1for89's posts

In Response to Re: Would you sign Papelbon for 3 years/$45 million?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would you sign Papelbon for 3 years/$45 million? : Please don't tell me you actually believe Jeter was worth 3/51.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

Jeter was signed for rediculous money, not for his expected production on the field.  It was for his production in promotions/marketing.

I can only hope the RS sign anvs mouth for that kind of money.

Rivera has been worth every penny he has been paid.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Yes, based solely on the Sox overspending on Lackey. Give Lackey's money to Papelbon.

Sections
Shortcuts