Would you sign Papelbon to a new deal?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Would you sign Papelbon to a new deal?

too soon to say. depends on what kind of a year he has and his asking price.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

What J-Bay said.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Based on what I have seen over the last two years I am not comfortable with Bard as the closer.  I don't think he has the mental makeup for it yet.  He doesn't seem tough enough.  Paplebon has looked great this year.  Much better than last year but its still early.  Plus, I wouldn't break the bank for Pap.  You know he is going to want the world.  Good closers are hard to find though.  Soriano isn't lighting it up for the Yankees.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from johncale. Show johncale's posts

i don't know about papelbon, but i certainly hope this is THEO'S LAST YEAR.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I wouldn't say "yes", but I couldn't say "no."

I might say "maybe", though.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Would you sign Papelbon to a new deal?:
    Posted by johncale

Very insightful post.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

In Response to Would you sign Papelbon to a new deal?:
    A lot of people take it for granted that this is Papelbon's last year in Boston, and Daniel Bard is the closer of the future. Are you comfortable with that idea, or would you like to see Pap remain the closer for the long term?
    Posted by davetheknave

I would, the guy is a good closer.  I don't even know why there is debate, I mean if he asks for MEGA bucks that is one thing but who wouldn't want him as their closer?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: Would you sign Papelbon to a new deal? : Very insightful post.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

quess who??Surprised

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

In Response to Would you sign Papelbon to a new deal?:
    A lot of people take it for granted that this is Papelbon's last year in Boston, and Daniel Bard is the closer of the future. Are you comfortable with that idea, or would you like to see Pap remain the closer for the long term?
    Posted by davetheknave

10-12 mil for three years? Yup.
    Any more years or money? Nope

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

Posted by johncale

It's not. Deal with it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

niz,

I agree for the most part. I'd say three years, $39M-$42M tops. That would average $13M-$14M a year. $10M a year likely won't get it done if he has a great year. $12M a year might, but it will depend on the market.

I'd rather keep it under $40M for three years but I wouldn't quibble over a million or two (it's not my money). I think it will depend on the market.

If he wants four or more years, let him walk. And if he wants to average $15M, let him walk. 

I'm not sure what someone might offer on the open market. I don't like guessing because I'm always surprised (Jayson Werth, for example).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The-Babe-. Show -The-Babe-'s posts

daniel bad...err...I mean...bard certainly doesn't look ready to take over.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

I'm with you niz!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

In Response to Re: Would you sign Papelbon to a new deal? : Ha Ha Ha Ha, you is so funny man, sock it to da Sawx www.inspirational-short-stories.com/images/child-laughter.jpg " alt="" width="354" height="235" />
    Posted by MikeyinQueens

Mikey, are you going to the Yankee game tonight?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I am hoping the Sox do not and Paps goes to the N.L. As a Yankee fan, I would be very happy to see him leave.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

I am hoping the Sox do not and Paps goes to the N.L. As a Yankee fan, I would be very happy to see him leave.
    Posted by jesseyeric

I don't even know why there is debate, I mean the guy is a proven commodity.  If he asks for insane $ that is an issue but I imagine they can negotiate with him and that he would like to stay with Boston.  Like you Jessey I'd love to see him in the NL or even pull a Johnny Damon and then I won't mind his staredown on the mound.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

mikeyinthebronx: "mikey, are you going to the yankee game tonight?" mikeythequeen: "yes, i'll meet you where i always do; the mens' room, 4th stall from the right."
    Posted by johncale

Uh Johnny....MikeyinQueens is not a Yankee fan he's a Sox fan pretending to be a Yankee fan.......you're a little slow on the uptake but that was sarcasm earlier.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Closers are overrated and overpaid. Too much money for a guy who maybe pitches 40 innings a year.
    I'm for the complete game pitcher. I thought that's why most teams went to a 5 man rotation in the first place.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

IMHO this question won't be answered until after the season. Papelbon has gone year-to-year never entertaining an extension so he could get the max contract that can be obtained by going into the FA market and letting supply and demand drive the value of the contract.

Being this far down the road and pitching well early, there would seem to be no reason for Papelbon to sign an extension now. So it will be a wait and see situation .

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The-Babe-. Show -The-Babe-'s posts

In Response to Re: Would you sign Papelbon to a new deal? : I don't even know why there is debate, I mean the guy is a proven commodity.  If he asks for insane $ that is an issue but I imagine they can negotiate with him and that he would like to stay with Boston.  Like you Jessey I'd love to see him in the NL or even pull a Johnny Damon and then I won't mind his staredown on the mound.

Posted by mikeyinthebronx

God no....would never want to see him sully the Pinstripes.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

In Response to Re: Would you sign Papelbon to a new deal? : God no....would never want to see him sully the Pinstripes.
    Posted by -The-Babe-

I didn't want to see Damon in pinstripes either and then he won a WS with the Yanks

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The-Babe-. Show -The-Babe-'s posts

In Response to Re: Would you sign Papelbon to a new deal? : I didn't want to see Damon in pinstripes either and then he won a WS with the Yanks

Posted by mikeyinthebronx

BIG difference between Damon and this skirt wearing jig dancing egotistical clown.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

No need to answer this question today. 

If Paps keeps this up though I'd give him a 2 year/28 million dollar deal.  I know it'd take 14 million and I am not comfortable going more than 2 years with him no matter how well he pitches this year...On the other hand, who is going to replace him at this point?  So maybe give him an incentive-based option year......Anyways, no need to do anything now.....

Sections
Shortcuts