Would you take a flyer on Lowe?......if he was released

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Re: Would you take a flyer on Lowe?......if he was released

PLEASE MAKE THIS HAPPEN!!!!  IF FOR NO OTHER REASON THAN THE FANS!!!!

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

As much as I like D-Lowe for all he's done for the Sox., I'd put Morales back in the rotation before taking a flier on Lowe.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Would you take a flyer on Lowe?......if he was released:
    [QUOTE]It's time for the Indians to release Derek Lowe and Johnny Damon since the veterans are not producing enough to justify their roster spots, Terry Pluto of the Cleveland Plain Dealer writes. Thoughts?
    Posted by Iceman4[/QUOTE]

Lowe said he would love to pitch again for red sox... Heck if i was let go by Cleveland i would love to even play with KC....Be real !!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

I would take him a heartbeat but the duo of Luccino and cherington has been as inept a duo as you could find and that is no surprise with Luccino whose ascension to being the major shot-caller was and is an horrific decision by Henry.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In Response to Re: Would you take a flyer on Lowe?......if he was released:
    [QUOTE]156 hits in 119 innings this year, WOW! A couple of years ago lead the National League Pitchers in hits allowed.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

Sinkerball pitchers will do that.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from angeroo. Show angeroo's posts

He was one they never should have let get away.  Absolute horse!  Took the ball anytime, thrived in pressure (ALDS '03 gm 5 and clinching games in '04 run)...Bring him back and dump Cook, they're redundant.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from angeroo. Show angeroo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would you take a flyer on Lowe?......if he was released : I liked him too, 8 years ago. Might work, who knows.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

It just might.  IF he has two months left in that arm, the Sox should use it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

Pick him up if he can't pitch he can sing "Dirty Water" in the 9th inning...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Better option than Cook, IMO.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Even Lowe now is a better option than Cook and I would have more faith in Derek than I would in several Sox pitchers...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Bring back Lowe.  It's worth a shot. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

GB%   FIP xFIP K/9   BB/9 HR/9 WAR             BABIPA

Lowe 60%   4.48   4.75    3.1   3.4       0.61      1.1 (21 games)      .333

Cook 61%   5.24   5.57    .81    .81      1.61       0.0 (8 games)       .247

Grab Lowe. Demote Cook.

If the difference in BABIP is even slightly a product of infield defense, this is a no-brainer.

I didn’t even realize Cook has only struck out 4 batters so far this year. Two of them in the CG in Seattle. He actually only walked 3 batters in July, and still walked more hitters than he struck out. It actually makes Cook’s BABIPA that much more ridiculous when you realize that everyone (with a whopping8 exceptions) has put the ball in play. Either the Sox INF defense is incredible as opposed to Cleveland’s, or Cook is the unquestioned master of inducing weak contact. Given his higher HR rate, I’d think the former.

Cook can be optioned to Pawtucket, although he might not be happy. I believe has has already passed all his opt-out dates, however. I could live with Beckett Lester Buchholz Morales Lowe for the next 2 months…

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]       GB%   FIP xFIP K/9   BB/9 HR/9 WAR             BABIPA Lowe 60%   4.48   4.75    3.1   3.4       0.61      1.1 (21 games)      .333 Cook 61%   5.24   5.57    .81    .81      1.61       0.0 (8 games)       .247 Grab Lowe. Demote Cook. If the difference in BABIP is even slightly a product of infield defense, this is a no-brainer. I didn’t even realize Cook has only struck out 4 batters so far this year. Two of them in the CG in Seattle. He actually only walked 3 batters in July, and still walked more hitters than he struck out. It actually makes Cook’s BABIPA that much more ridiculous when you realize that everyone (with a whopping 8 exceptions) has put the ball in play. Either the Sox INF defense is incredible as opposed to Cleveland’s, or Cook is the unquestioned master of inducing weak contact. Given his higher HR rate, I’d think the former. Cook can be optioned to Pawtucket, although he might not be happy. I believe has has already passed all his opt-out dates, however. I could live with Beckett Lester Buchholz Morales Lowe for the next 2 months…
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Cook is good at getting weak contact.  All sinkerballers (including) Lowe who are the least bit effective are.  Beyond that, there is a LOT of luck in Cook's BABIP.  Also: BEWARE SMALL SAMPLE SIZES

I dont know if its completely infield D, considering our infield D is far from elite.  I'd say its mostly a combination of a) being a sinkerballer and b) luck.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would you take a flyer on Lowe?......if he was released : Cook is good at getting weak contact.  All sinkerballers (including) Lowe who are the least bit effective are.  Beyond that, there is a LOT of luck in Cook's BABIP.  Also: BEWARE SMALL SAMPLE SIZES I dont know if its completely infield D, considering our infield D is far from elite.  I'd say its mostly a combination of a) being a sinkerballer and b) luck.
    Posted by Drewski5[/QUOTE]

True, but the Indians do have some really questionable infield talent beyond Kotchman, espeaiclly on days they dont play Hannahan, which is most days after May 1.

Asdrubal Cabrera is pretty much a statue that most fans who only watch BBTN think is  good defender because he makes diving plays on grounders that most shortstops field cleanly and effortlessly. He really needs to get back to 2B where he belongs. Or maybe 3B. Anywhere but SS...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would you take a flyer on Lowe?......if he was released : Cook is good at getting weak contact.  All sinkerballers (including) Lowe who are the least bit effective are.  Beyond that, there is a LOT of luck in Cook's BABIP.  Also: BEWARE SMALL SAMPLE SIZES I dont know if its completely infield D, considering our infield D is far from elite.  I'd say its mostly a combination of a) being a sinkerballer and b) luck.
    Posted by Drewski5[/QUOTE]

Drewski...

Luck certainly plays a role on balls that are hit hard right at an infielder. Most sinkerballer's BABIP good, bad or indifferent relies heavily on the pct of routine ground balls induced by. Even the most pedestrian infield makes the routine play 99% of the time.