Would you trade Bogaerts today.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

Re: Would you trade Bogaerts today.....

In response to BMav's comment:

No. I think we are the favorites to repeat. Why not have our Bogaerts and eat the league too?

Plus, part of the fun of watching sports is watching the players. Would Orioles fans trade Cal Ripken's career for another championship? I want to watch Xander play baseball. Let fate and destiny take care of the rest.

Ripken was a fan fav from the beginning.  But better players than Boggie have been traded early in their careers.  But yes, if the right deal came along before carl was a 10-5 guy, he would have been traded as well.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to steven11's comment:

No. I think we are the favorites to repeat. Why not have our Bogaerts and eat the league too?

Plus, part of the fun of watching sports is watching the players. Would Orioles fans trade Cal Ripken's career for another championship? I want to watch Xander play baseball. Let fate and destiny take care of the rest.

Ripken was a fan fav from the beginning.  But better players than Boggie have been traded early in their careers.  But yes, if the right deal came along before carl was a 10-5 guy, he would have been traded as well.

Whose talking about 'carl'??? 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrkite74. Show mrkite74's posts

No not for any WS next year.   Trout aside not a single position player I would trade him for.  Keep him and let him be a star here and not in florida ala Hanley

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

This is the best answer I've seen yet. There is that element that Bogaerts is ours....if his ceiling is one of the best players in the game why trade him? he might end up being the special kind of player we always talk about trading for. He will be more loved and admired being a home grown product.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Actually on second thought.  If we got back Jose Fernandez in return AND we are guranteed a win in 2014....then I think I would at least consider that trade. 

Oh heck, why not just trade Bogey, JBJ, Betts, Webster, Brentz and de la Rosa for Jose Hernandez and Stanton?

I keep thinking about Boom's point that Theo needs a good season to land a fat TV contract.

Now that Cubs are out of the Tanaka sweeps, this becomes interesting.... OK, maybe not possible but still interesting.

The Cubs have Castro at SS but Baez in the wings, but they need pitching

(http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/xander-bogaerts-heads-list-of-mlbcoms-top-10-shortstop-prospects?ymd=20140113&content_id=66482416&vkey=news_mlb)

What happens if Baez is the replacement for Bogey in a trade involving RS, Cubs and the Marlins?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 2m

Xander Bogaerts won the minor league player of the year award. Stayed in Aruba instead of coming to Boston, where it's 15. Smart guy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

OP is completely wrong headed.  Not only are there no guarantees in baseball, but who would want them?  That is the great lesson of being a Sox fan and especially a Sox fan in 2004 and 2013 (2007 came close to being guaranteed). 

Last year o/a August 1 Ben Cherington made just such a deal with the devil.  He traded everyone's favorite Iglesias in a three way trade to get nobody's favorite Peavy, and he did it to give the Sox a better chance at the playoffs.  The playoffs, not the WS.  Many of us raged, raged against the night, but in the end it was probably the right move, not because Peavy was such a great acquisition (although he did help get the Sox to the playoffs and then did very little in them), but because the Sox had been out of the playoffs for too long, because the 2012 season was a disaster after the 2011 disaster of a season, and because the Sox were in fact well fixed in the SS department with Drew backed up by Bogaerts. 

I can still remember some of those big moments from last year's playoffs precisely because to me the outcome was so improbable.  I wrongly feared the Rays, but rightly feared the Tigers, who did indeed have superb pitching that required some great Sox pitching and unreal clutch hitting.  I say again, guaranteed outcomes are completely anti-baseball.  It's the surprises that mean everything.  My wife is sick of me telling her I can still recite all 25 members of last year's playoff roster. 

One more point about the obtuseness of the OP.  Keeping Bogaerts is a very good hedge against not winning another WS in 2014.  That's right.  The pitching, which was absolutely the best in MLB in the playoffs (you can look it up), is all coming back unless someone gets traded to fill another hole.  And the only substantial lineup player not returning is Ellsbury.  One of the Globe sportswriters--Abraham or Finn--recently pointed out that a full season of Bogaerts just might make up for Bradley replacing Ells in the lineup.  Losing Saltalamachhia was/is probably an improvement--for the pitching anyway.    And I haven't made up my mind about Drew.  I like his defense and his lefty bat and Bogaerts at 3B, and I'm not so sure I like Middlebrooks at 3B (and Bogaerts at SS). 

Back to the Iglesias deal.  In the end, it did make good business sense to trade him to have a better chance at finally getting back to the playoffs, especially after the 2012 disaster and even more after ending the sold out home games streak.  But I suspect in the end the Tigers got the better deal because Iglesias is likely to give their fans many years of enjoyment.  For exactly that reason if no other, the Sox cannot, cannot let Bogaerts go. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Max, apologies for singling you out, but i think alot of people misunderstand the point of my OP.  it was to ascertain in a fantastical way the worth of a 2014 Championship versus the promise of a young stud. 

it was not trying to say that it would ever really happen in the "real world".

i love the answers on both sides.  especially the points made that the struggle is what makes it so much fun.

10. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts