Wouldn't it make sense to send down Bradley

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from az55. Show az55's posts

Wouldn't it make sense to send down Bradley

Let him play everyday and get his reps in.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam789123. Show jam789123's posts

Re: Wouldn't it make sense to send down Bradley

Nope, he has done that already.  Time to sink or swim, fish or cut bait, crap or get off the pot, and all that sort of thing.  Best of luck JBJ, maybe a realization that this is his opportunity will get him going.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

I was thinking about this Monday night when at the Pawsox game.  The answer is no and one reason is what jam just said.  The other is the pawsox are in a groove and have a plan for their players.  Sending JBJ down isn't what the pawsox need.

Saying that, neither team Monday had an outfielder in JBJ's league.  JBJ just needs to keep his average around .240 to stay in the majors.  His arm and defense is a big asset.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

the answer is yes. he needs to re-find confidence. let Mookie play for a while and mix in Holt, and even Cespedes from what I hear.

saying they need to make ultimate decisions on Bradley right now is just abou the silliest thing i've ever heard, and i'm only using 'silly' because i'm in a nice mood.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to chetgnat's comment:

the answer is yes. he needs to re-find confidence. let Mookie play for a while and mix in Holt, and even Cespedes from what I hear.

saying they need to make ultimate decisions on Bradley right now is just abou the silliest thing i've ever heard, and i'm only using 'silly' because i'm in a nice mood.

[object HTMLDivElement]

At this juncture of his career, I don't think Bradley will derive any confidence hitting AAA pitching; in fact, I think it could damage him further - the pressure he will feel to hit, combined with the dejection of demotion is a recipe for a potentially bad downward spiral.  Bradley should just take his knocks for the rest of the year in boston - a learning year - and then go get his swing together and confidence back in winter ball.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to az55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Let him play everyday and get his reps in.

[/QUOTE]

JBJ Needs to be put in a batting cage until spring training.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

No.  He needs to learn to hit major league pitching; you can't do that in the minors.  He has already shown he can hit AAA pitching, at least to a .275 BA.

The one who needs to go down is Betts.  I like the kid,  he's got a lot of potential.  But he needs work in the outfield, and that can be done at AAA.  Sending him down let's him work on his D and play every day.  He's not getting to do either one right now.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Tough year for the kid that's for sure. Only tells you how tough it is to make the jump to the Majors. As much as we value our Prospects, and you can get proven Major League talent, you have a tough decision as a GM.
    I would keep him here now, nothing to lose, and he's gaining experience. The Sept. call-ups will be here soon, lets see how he does against kids that were in Triple AAA most of the year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Tough year for the kid that's for sure. Only tells you how tough it is to make the jump to the Majors. As much as we value our Prospects, and you can get proven Major League talent, you have a tough decision as a GM.
    I would keep him here now, nothing to lose, and he's gaining experience. The Sept. call-ups will be here soon, lets see how he does against kids that were in Triple AAA most of the year.

[/QUOTE]

tough year and thru it all he could end up with a gold glove.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to steven11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I am always reticent to put weight on things like dWAR and such, but, it would be very interesting to quantify how much Bradley's absolutely stellar centerfield has made up for his abysmal offense this year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NLU75. Show NLU75's posts

In response to jam789123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Nope, he has done that already.  Time to sink or swim, fish or cut bait, crap or get off the pot, and all that sort of thing.  Best of luck JBJ, maybe a realization that this is his opportunity will get him going.

[/QUOTE]
    send him to AA & let him get his confidence. He has only played in about 60 games in AA & 80 games in AAA

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to NLU75's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to jam789123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    send him to AA & let him get his confidence. He has only played in about 60 games in AA & 80 games in AAA

[/QUOTE]

AA is a great suggestion, I doubt that it happens.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

He needs to be packaged in a trade.  The Sox OF is cramped enough....and I'm sure they are looking into some more power in the OF this Winter.  He's a mess.  He had plenty of time.  What ever happened to his 'Amazing plate discipline' we heard so much about.....??

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He needs to be packaged in a trade.  The Sox OF is cramped enough....and I'm sure they are looking into some more power in the OF this Winter.  He's a mess.  He had plenty of time.  What ever happened to his 'Amazing plate discipline' we heard so much about.....??

[/QUOTE]

JBJ won't even have to be packaged in a trade.  If the sox put him on the waiver wire right now, he would not sit there long.  There are only a handful of guys who get a jump on a ball like JBJ.  Teams know this and many will think they will be able to help his hitting.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Won't be in top 5. Should be but won't.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

OK, I am worried that young Jackie might not get over the hitting hump.  I am.  He is lost and befuddled, no doubt.

But, I am thinking with Jackie, with Xander even, some folks don't understand what sport they are watching.  This isn't basketball where a kid comes in his rookie year, and even if he isnt NBA man-strong yet or hasnt developed that mid-range jumper or whatever, he is still going to give you 15-20 a night if he is a true scorer.  This isnt football where all you need is god-like legs and a strong o-line to go for 1000 yards in your rookie season.  This is baseball, where the skills are highly refined and take a long time to master, and, even mastered, you still fail most of the time.  

You want to bring up the best prospects?  Great.  You have to be ready to live with them getting beaten up.  Thats just the way it is.

We're really done with Jackie Bradley?  The best Sox defensive centerfielder since Fred Lynn?  (Don't give me Coco Crisp, Crisp is a beautiful centerfielder but makes Ellsbury's arm look like Cespedes').  We really can't give him his rookie season before we are packaging him up for a bag o balls?  

Like I said, I have my questions about whether he is going to get there.  But i am certainly giving him the allowance of a full year of rookie struggle.  

He probably should not have been up this year.  Xander too.  That has been pointed out and I tend to agree, as I am always for taking it slow with the farm kids.  But, given that they pushed him into the job, I am inclined to give him 2014 as a learning year.  My armchair leash will be shorter next Spring.  But, anyone who says something like "we have seen what we are going to get with Bradley" doesn't understand the minor league-major league transition.  Mike Trout is the exception to the rule, not the standard of comparison.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

Space:  I sit there behind right field at McCoy and there is not one outfielder who comes close to JBJ's talent on mowing balls down.

The kid is way ahead of everyone on the defense end.  I still believe that the right hitting coach can reach this kid.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

Space:  I sit there behind right field at McCoy and there is not one outfielder who comes close to JBJ's talent on mowing balls down.

The kid is way ahead of everyone on the defense end.  I still believe that the right hitting coach can reach this kid.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I think so too.  His 3 week run in July was plenty enough for me to stay with him - showed me he had the potential to be a proper hitter once he eliminates the flaws in technique/approach (he did before that hot streak, altered his stance and everything - then the league caught up and got his number again).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Yes to the headline.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

In response to illinoisredsox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No.  He needs to learn to hit major league pitching; you can't do that in the minors.  He has already shown he can hit AAA pitching, at least to a .275 BA.

The one who needs to go down is Betts.  I like the kid,  he's got a lot of potential.  But he needs work in the outfield, and that can be done at AAA.  Sending him down let's him work on his D and play every day.  He's not getting to do either one right now.

[/QUOTE]

Jackie should have gone down, even to AA if that's what it took. i'm fine with betts going down to get time at 2nd. time in the outfield in the minors will be a waste because he's not going to last out there. he's probably going to have to be traded. and if they are going to play betts in the outfield in AAA, then they'd have been much better off letting him stay up and play various positions and get some mlb experience, and letting Jackie go down.

that said, Betts just doesn't strike me as an outfielder. (sure he can play there in a pinch but so can just about anyone else. he's not a long-term solution). he belongs at second base, which means he's probably never going to play much for the red sox. unless they go full re......build and trade Dusty, but that's not going to happen, nor should it.

i think it's worse for Jackie to stay in the mlb lineup with almost no chance of making consistent contact. i think you're just making a deeper bruise at this point. some guys can mentally handle such an experience (like betts, if i had to guess), but the more sensitive, nicer, quieter types like Jackie are usually made worse off. the constant, unproductive tinkering with the swing should have been an indication. desperate flailing is not productive.

this might have appeared to be inconsistent and rambling but the net result is - jackie is getting worse from his continued time in the majors at the moment and mookie, while not destined for the outfield long-term, would have been a better option to keep on the major league roster at the current time. thank you and have a pleasant too morroooww..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

If we sent him down when this thread came out, we most likely lose last night's game.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

with every catch like last night's, do you still think he needs to be packaged in a trade?  All Ben has to do start the calls that he wants JBJ gone and someone will grab him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from scottwad. Show scottwad's posts

Unless Cargo is coming to Boston, keep JBJ and bat him 9th or use as a late inning defensive replacement. He is 1/9th of the offense and way too valuable with the glove. When I heard he was better than Ellsbury, I was a little hesitant to accept that but I never thought he was as good as he is. GOLD GLOVER! Load the offense up and hide his deficiencies at the plate. he is exciting to watch. 

scottwad24

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think what happened is

in the minors he could take every breaking pitch and come out ahead

now he's dealing with guys who can get their breaking stuff over 4 strikes

having trouble with the curve is nothing new

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts