WOW!.. Can the balls & Strike calls be more slanted?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Re: WOW!.. Can the balls & Strike calls be more slanted?

I'm in White Plains, NY and on MLB, they keep showing the Cardinals and Pirates game.  Yell

On ESPN, they are showing the Angels vs. Rangers.  Dear ESPN, the Angels are done and the Rangers are SIX games behind the A's.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Price is throwing bee-bees ... he surely doesn't need any help,  but he's  getting  it.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

The umpires like to have their time in the limelight in games too. You want applause go on Broadway. Tough luck you don't get paid to act you get paid to get the calls right. If you don't get it right go back to umpiring school.

The missed call last night just like many calls on the bases and behind the plate is because the ump is out of position.

All I like to see is a game when the umps do such a great job you don't notice them on the field. Most times you notice the HP ump because of the theatrics---the exaggerated third strike call. They get pumped up to make once you've got a Mariano or  Price or another top flight strike out guy on the mound. The players should know that.

What's worse with the bases loaded two outs,  Yankee Stadium, full house, everybody on their feet, top of the ninth, 3-2 count, runners moving, Sox down by a run, partisan crowd---Salty or Napoli taking a called third strike and the actor behind the plate going into his knock out dance. He's primed the pump and anything close he's doing his punch out routine---balls slightly off the black--it's a no doubter for the ump--strike 3.

Meals blew it last night but he never should have had to make the call if JF had put Iggy in to run for Lavarnway instead of Nava or if the 3 B coach called time to confer with Nava before Drew came to bat. Nava should have known but...don't take anything for granted. The great thing about baseball the players and coaches have control of the clock.

There's always enough blame to go around. Things even out over 162 games.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I thought exactly the same thing off and on last night, but I and the OP are both wrong.  Price is a great pitcher in part because of his fantastic control.  Doubront, on the other hand, was all over the place.  So the umpire was rewarding precision and penalizing imprecision.  Ironically, I think Doubront was incredibly lucky to only give up 2 runs in 5 innings because it could have been a lot worse.  Price, as he was five days earlier, was dominant.  The Sox didn't knock him out, the rain did. 

The home plate ump was out of position on the play at the plate, but it was going to be a tough call even if he was in the right position.  It took repeated replays to show Nava just getting his toe on the plate which Molina was doing a good job of blocking. 

I agree with MacMc44's final line--plenty of blame to go around.  It's a long season and things even out. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

The umpires like to have their time in the limelight in games too. You want applause go on Broadway. Tough luck you don't get paid to act you get paid to get the calls right. If you don't get it right go back to umpiring school.

The missed call last night just like many calls on the bases and behind the plate is because the ump is out of position.

All I like to see is a game when the umps do such a great job you don't notice them on the field. Most times you notice the HP ump because of the theatrics---the exaggerated third strike call. They get pumped up to make once you've got a Mariano or  Price or another top flight strike out guy on the mound. The players should know that.

What's worse with the bases loaded two outs,  Yankee Stadium, full house, everybody on their feet, top of the ninth, 3-2 count, runners moving, Sox down by a run, partisan crowd---Salty or Napoli taking a called third strike and the actor behind the plate going into his knock out dance. He's primed the pump and anything close he's doing his punch out routine---balls slightly off the black--it's a no doubter for the ump--strike 3.

Meals blew it last night but he never should have had to make the call if JF had put Iggy in to run for Lavarnway instead of Nava or if the 3 B coach called time to confer with Nava before Drew came to bat. Nava should have known but...don't take anything for granted. The great thing about baseball the players and coaches have control of the clock.

Just think..... If it was all slanted in the sox favor you wouldn't have to say how bad the umpires are.And your after the fact should have run for is also in question.Sometimes  umpires do not get it righ but it seems to me that the fans have a very hard time ever getting it right...Should have would have could have after the fact.It's aways after the game that the fans have all the right moves. Second guessing is only after you lose and all the should haves ...come out....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Max I liked your comments and as I was reading both pieces about the game and umpiring---I think the reason Meals was out of position was because he didn't think it was going to be a close call. Normally a deep enough fly to score a run, he wanted to be in a position to see Nava cross the plate; all of a sudden the throw was coming, closer than he thought,  he didn't have time to get to the other side--he had to give it the best call he could. Actually it took a lot of guts to call him out on a bang, bang against the home team. He must have really thought he was out or why put up with the home crowd and team abuse.

We'll get our good calls over the next 50 plus games. They do seem to be stacking up against us since the AS Break.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Sometimes it's painfully obvious that the umps aren't nearly as good at what they do as the players on the field.

Seniority should have nothing to do with umpiring in the major leagues. The umpires should have to prove that they still "have it" every game, or get sent down just like the players until they sharpen up again.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

In response to MadMc44's comment:

[QUOTE]

Just think..... If it was all slanted in the sox favor you wouldn't have to say how bad the umpires are.And your after the fact should have run for is also in question.Sometimes  umpires do not get it righ but it seems to me that the fans have a very hard time ever getting it right...Should have would have could have after the fact.It's aways after the game that the fans have all the right moves. Second guessing is only after you lose and all the should haves ...come out....

[/QUOTE]

what do you want us to say? it's not like we knew there was going to be a play at the plate. "Boy i sure hope the umpire is in position to make an accurate call on this impending slide..."

He looked safe in real time, he looked safe on replay. The only person who didn't think he was safe was the umpire who and he admitted he blew the call!

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

In response to readsocks' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am watching the game on a Tampa network ( i'm in FLorida).. and even the Tampa announcers are saying... "wow... that one was right down the middle"  the umpire calls a ball .. and walk.

Price is getting every call... need I say.. THANKS ORTIZ!.. I guess it is payback time for the umps huh?

sure seems it!!

Yup, you are right.  I said this on a thread which has vanished off the forum page.  Seems all Ortiz threads are being removed.  The umpires are a tight group and stick together.  As I said on another thread, the ump had mlb ruling behind him, ortiz stepped out of the batter's after the pitcher was in the set position.

[/QUOTE]

I think the ortiz threads were deleted because some posters got pretty nasty.  The mods have been very vigulant of late so I'm not suprised the threads were deleted.  I don't think it has anything to do with the umps.

Some posters here should be glad that the threads were deleted instead of them being banned.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

I thought exactly the same thing off and on last night, but I and the OP are both wrong.  Price is a great pitcher in part because of his fantastic control.  Doubront, on the other hand, was all over the place.  So the umpire was rewarding precision and penalizing imprecision.  Ironically, I think Doubront was incredibly lucky to only give up 2 runs in 5 innings because it could have been a lot worse.  Price, as he was five days earlier, was dominant.  The Sox didn't knock him out, the rain did. 

The home plate ump was out of position on the play at the plate, but it was going to be a tough call even if he was in the right position.  It took repeated replays to show Nava just getting his toe on the plate which Molina was doing a good job of blocking. 

I agree with MacMc44's final line--plenty of blame to go around.  It's a long season and things even out. 

Repeated replays are you kidding me? I saw it once on replay and had no doubt that he was safe. You must be the Rays fan! Cause there aren't multiples of those.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to readsocks's comment:

I am watching the game on a Tampa network ( i'm in FLorida).. and even the Tampa announcers are saying... "wow... that one was right down the middle"  the umpire calls a ball .. and walk.

Price is getting every call... need I say.. THANKS ORTIZ!.. I guess it is payback time for the umps huh?

sure seems it!!

I think it's pretty sad when ML umpires consistently blow calls.  After this season the instant replay should be a No Brainer.

I can't remember it ever being this bad.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

In response to readsocks's comment:
    [QUOTE]

sure seems it!!

I think it's pretty sad when ML umpires consistently blow calls.  After this season the instant replay should be a No Brainer.

I can't remember it ever being this bad.  

[/QUOTE]

Don and jerry were talking about this last night. They felt it should never be used for balls and strikes and I agree, the games are already too long.  Jerry said when he played the games were over two hours now they seem to be around three and four.

Maybe it could be used for close plays at home and on the bases but there would have to be rules to prevent abuses like in football.  It will be interesting to see how all of this plays out.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

In response to readsocks' comment:

sure seems it!!

Yup, you are right.  I said this on a thread which has vanished off the forum page.  Seems all Ortiz threads are being removed.  The umpires are a tight group and stick together.  As I said on another thread, the ump had mlb ruling behind him, ortiz stepped out of the batter's after the pitcher was in the set position.

I think the ortiz threads were deleted because some posters got pretty nasty.  The mods have been very vigulant of late so I'm not suprised the threads were deleted.  I don't think it has anything to do with the umps.

Some posters here should be glad that the threads were deleted instead of them being banned.

Yes, you are right.

Great minds work alike Wink