WOW... THEO DOES IT AGAIN, A REAL "KEEPER" IN ANDREW MILLER......

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: WOW... THEO DOES IT AGAIN, A REAL "KEEPER" IN ANDREW MILLER......

In Response to WOW... THEO DOES IT AGAIN, A REAL "KEEPER" IN ANDREW MILLER......:
       AS DAD WOULD SAY..... "SON, THIS KID CAN PITCH"  !!!!  GOOD LUCK TO TITO IN KEEPING THIS STAFF HAPPY !!!!   WHAT SAY YOU ????
    Posted by Bill-806

Hiya Bill.  Nice 1st show for the kid, as you say.  One bad pitch. 

Tito gets some of the credit here, friend.  He claims to have personally gone after Miller.

But I ain't complaining. 

Another great explosion tonight ... wow!

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 26RINGSANDCOUTING. Show 26RINGSANDCOUTING's posts

4.76 ERA

REALLY SCARY 

OH NO

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: WOW... THEO DOES IT AGAIN, A REAL "KEEPER" IN ANDREW MILLER......:
    4.76 ERA REALLY SCARY  OH NO
    Posted by 26RINGSANDCOUTING
    How are you liking 2nd place?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: WOW... THEO DOES IT AGAIN, A REAL "KEEPER" IN ANDREW MILLER......:
    4.76 ERA REALLY SCARY  OH NO
    Posted by 26RINGSANDCOUTING

Hows the view look from back there?? ya know, behind the Sox in the standings..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

has anyone noticed that '26ringsandstupid' never actually constructs sentences.
    i'm guessing he dropped out of school before that subject was taught.
    looks like 'the babe' has some serious competition on this board.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WilcyMoore. Show WilcyMoore's posts

I say that having a good first outing against a pathetic Padres' offense who have never faced him at home is hardly the stuff of legends when it comes to Miller.  Compare his start to that of rookie starter Ivan Nova against a potent Reds' offense last night in their park.  Does not really stack up as they say.  Epstein took over as GM of the Sox in 2003 and "his" players who are or have been on the 25 man roster this year include Pedroia, Lowrie, Papelbon, Buchholz, Bard, Bowden, Reddick. Iglesias and Dubrount.  Other players he signed as amateur free agents who are currently on other clubs include Masterson, David Murphy and most recently Anthony Rizzo.  During the same timeframe (2003 and after), the Yankee GM signed or drafted Nova, Chamberlain, Robertson, Nunez, Cervelli, Gardner, Noesi, Hughes, Marquez, Ramiro Pena and Pendelton.  "His" players who are currently on other teams include Austin Jackson, Ian Kennedy, Tyler Clippard, Jeff Karstens, Mark Melancon, Jose Tabata and Juan Miranda. 
    Epstein traded guys he did not draft like Hanley Ramirez, Anibal Sanchez and Freddy Sanchez among others? who are currently major leaguers.

When one adds in Cano (Cashman signing) and the old-timers Jeter, Rivera and Posada, the Yankee 2011 roster likely has the most "home grown" players in the majors.  Note that Youkilis (Duquette) and Lester (Port) are also "home grown" Red Sox, but they are not Epstein's guys.  Andrew Miller is right now to the Red Sox what Brian Gordon is to the Yankees, perhaps a "diamond in the rough" or simply a guy who had his 24 to 72 hours of fame.  The latter "could be" the second coming of Aaron Small or Freddy Prinz.  That's to be determined, but I think it could be fairly argued that facing the Rangers and the Reds versus the Padres and Pirates is a bit more challenging. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

also yazzer, he apparently forgot about the 09' ring..yeah, hes an idiot..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 26RINGSANDCOUTING. Show 26RINGSANDCOUTING's posts

Posted by southpaw777

ACCOUNT MADE THREE YEARS AGO

NO POSTED IN A WHILE

ALSO I LIKE THE GUY WHO MENTIONED DEREK JETER

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BILLS-DAD. Show BILLS-DAD's posts

In Response to WOW... THEO DOES IT AGAIN, A REAL "KEEPER" IN ANDREW MILLER......:
       AS DAD WOULD SAY..... "SON, THIS KID CAN PITCH"  !!!!  GOOD LUCK TO TITO IN KEEPING THIS STAFF HAPPY !!!!   WHAT SAY YOU ????
    Posted by Bill-806

SON, IF YOU THINK 3 RUNS IN 5 INNINGS AGAINST A MINOR LEAGUE OFFENSE MAKES HIM A "KEEPER" THEN YOU MUST HAVE BEEN DROPPED ON YOUR HEAD A FEW MORE TIMES THAN I REMEMBER.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

26 Rings and Counting:

Our young studs: Lester Buch and Bard... we may be adding Miller to this list.

Your young duds: Hughes Sloba and Ian Kennedy (who may be the best of the three).

Don't be mad at us, be mad at Cashman. Be mad at yourself. Be mad at your parents for all of the anger they've caused inside you. I give you credit for one thing though... you have the guts to come out in public when your team is second rate. I've learned very few Yanks fans can say the same thing.

Google me.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nickarcese. Show nickarcese's posts

don't get too excited, he has competed against AAA teams all season, last night (hudson and their clean up hitter the exception) as well...however, he was mid 90's on the gun with a nice changeup...it's nice he could ease into the majors against the padres...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

I say that having a good first outing against a pathetic Padres' offense who have never faced him at home is hardly the stuff of legends when it comes to Miller.  Compare his start to that of rookie starter Ivan Nova against a potent Reds' offense last night in their park.  Does not really stack up as they say.  Epstein took over as GM of the Sox in 2003 and "his" players who are or have been on the 25 man roster this year include Pedroia, Lowrie, Papelbon, Buchholz, Bard, Bowden, Reddick. Iglesias and Dubrount.  Other players he signed as amateur free agents who are currently on other clubs include Masterson, David Murphy and most recently Anthony Rizzo.  During the same timeframe (2003 and after), the Yankee GM signed or drafted Nova, Chamberlain, Robertson, Nunez, Cervelli, Gardner, Noesi, Hughes, Marquez, Ramiro Pena and Pendelton.  "His" players who are currently on other teams include Austin Jackson, Ian Kennedy, Tyler Clippard, Jeff Karstens, Mark Melancon, Jose Tabata and Juan Miranda.  Epstein traded guys he did not draft like Hanley Ramirez, Anibal Sanchez and Freddy Sanchez among others? who are currently major leaguers. When one adds in Cano (Cashman signing) and the old-timers Jeter, Rivera and Posada, the Yankee 2011 roster likely has the most "home grown" players in the majors.  Note that Youkilis (Duquette) and Lester (Port) are also "home grown" Red Sox, but they are not Epstein's guys.  Andrew Miller is right now to the Red Sox what Brian Gordon is to the Yankees, perhaps a "diamond in the rough" or simply a guy who had his 24 to 72 hours of fame.  The latter "could be" the second coming of Aaron Small or Freddy Prinz.  That's to be determined, but I think it could be fairly argued that facing the Rangers and the Reds versus the Padres and Pirates is a bit more challenging. 
    Posted by WilcyMoore

What is the point of this post?  Home grown doesn't mean they have to be on the field for you...they can be used to acquire talent.  The Sox gave up a ton of "home grown" for Gonzalez, did they not.  The debate was not about the Yankees.  The thread was about a kid who lost confidence and the Red Sox may have found something for the future.  The difference is the Nova is in the Yanks rotation.  It is an apples and oranges comparison.  Miller was selected in the draft ahead of some pretty good talent.  If you are looking to compare Theo to Cashman, have at it.  I know many Yankee fans who hate Cashman and many Sox fans who hate Theo.  The argument has been beaten to death.  You last point about know is facing who is irrelevant.  You face who you face.  Plus, unless I was dreaming, the Yanks facing the Sox was pretty challenging.  Don't try to turn this into something it isn't.  You love all things Yanks, we get it.  Can the Sox fan just enjoy that the kid had a good night without you pizzing on his campfire?  Do you need us to say that Nova is better than Miller?  OK, Nova is better than Miller.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

I think everyone should take a deep breath. 7 hits - 3 BB in 5.2 IP with 3 IR is not so great. It is encouraging that the tendency to walks and then groove one did not hit until the 6th inning, but that was not a dominant performance. It showed potential is there because Miller did get to showcase how effective his three pitches can be but IMO there isn't a conclusion about Miller's effectiveness to be drawn from that outing against a very light hitting Padre team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

Before passing judgement on Andrew Miller, let's see a few more starts.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Posted by southpaw777

I thought about that last week and just did not want to waste the key strokes making fun of the forgotten ring.  I'm sure the OP was front and center for them all so what's one forgotten championship?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

I'm sorry he didn't live up to everyones gaudy expectations. And no, he's not the second coming of Randy Johnson but he got us 5 1/3 in a spot start, sounds reasonable to me. 

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Let's see how Miller holds up.  How is having too much pitching a problem?  Sounds like some of that pitching could be parlayed into players to fill other holes if need be, but I like the "problem' of having Wake, Aceves and Miller on the staff.    

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I say that having a good first outing against a pathetic Padres' offense who have never faced him at home is hardly the stuff of legends when it comes to Miller.  Compare his start to that of rookie starter Ivan Nova against a potent Reds' offense last night in their park.  Does not really stack up as they say.  Epstein took over as GM of the Sox in 2003 and "his" players who are or have been on the 25 man roster this year include Pedroia, Lowrie, Papelbon, Buchholz, Bard, Bowden, Reddick. Iglesias and Dubrount.  Other players he signed as amateur free agents who are currently on other clubs include Masterson, David Murphy and most recently Anthony Rizzo.  During the same timeframe (2003 and after), the Yankee GM signed or drafted Nova, Chamberlain, Robertson, Nunez, Cervelli, Gardner, Noesi, Hughes, Marquez, Ramiro Pena and Pendelton.  "His" players who are currently on other teams include Austin Jackson, Ian Kennedy, Tyler Clippard, Jeff Karstens, Mark Melancon, Jose Tabata and Juan Miranda.  Epstein traded guys he did not draft like Hanley Ramirez, Anibal Sanchez and Freddy Sanchez among others? who are currently major leaguers. When one adds in Cano (Cashman signing) and the old-timers Jeter, Rivera and Posada, the Yankee 2011 roster likely has the most "home grown" players in the majors.  Note that Youkilis (Duquette) and Lester (Port) are also "home grown" Red Sox, but they are not Epstein's guys.  Andrew Miller is right now to the Red Sox what Brian Gordon is to the Yankees, perhaps a "diamond in the rough" or simply a guy who had his 24 to 72 hours of fame.  The latter "could be" the second coming of Aaron Small or Freddy Prinz.  That's to be determined, but I think it could be fairly argued that facing the Rangers and the Reds versus the Padres and Pirates is a bit more challenging. 
    Posted by WilcyMoore

I agree with this post all the way up to the comparison of Andrew Miller 6th pick overall in the draft to a OF just turned pitcher in Brian Gordon who made a nice showing at age, what 32..Im not saying Miller is the next coming of R Johnson, but I think he was a 1st round pick for a reason..Dertoit just threw him to the wolves at 21..not smart..

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Posted by Bill-806

Miller looks to have one heck of a breaking ball, decent control, good fastball, confidence and talent to make it.  It was only one game but I already like him better than Dice K :)  We have some tough choices moving forward because I also think Aceves is capable of starting.  Its a nice problem to have and lets wish Aceves a good outing tonight.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

I only caught a couple of innings and believe he hit 92 on the gun a few times.  What was his highest velocity?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from fancy-shamanski. Show fancy-shamanski's posts

Wake has been pretty good, and the sox need bullpen help.  Put miller in the 7th inning and miller-bard-pap would be sick.  The rest of the arms can fill in when they need an off night.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I have to admit, he did better than I thought he would. he did throw the cookie (re; Eck) to Hudson but other than that he looked pretty sharp.
    Usually Theo's reclamation projects belong on the trash heap, but this kid has lots of potential.
    If I didn't know better, I could have sworn I was watching the game in a mirror and Buchholz was on the mound.

Sections
Shortcuts