WOW!BAM!BING!Dan Shaughnessy RIPS RED SOX TO PIECES! AND SUGGESTS FRANCONA IS MANAGING FOR HIS JOB!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806'sTwin+. Show Bill-806'sTwin+'s posts

WOW!BAM!BING!Dan Shaughnessy RIPS RED SOX TO PIECES! AND SUGGESTS FRANCONA IS MANAGING FOR HIS JOB!

Dan Shaughnessy/Boston Globe

With nowhere else to turn, I called baseball commissioner Bud Selig yesterday.

Left him a message:

Please, Bud. This is your chance to think outside the box. You have sweeping powers that enable you to make unilateral decisions “in the best interests of baseball.’’

How about banishing the 2011 Red Sox from postseason play on the grounds of horsebleep play for the entire month of September?

This is where we are with less than a week to go in the regular season. The math says the Sox are probably going to qualify for the tournament, but they should be barred on sheer principle and merit. Let the worthy teams participate in the playoffs. The Sox are not worthy.

Really, how do you root for these guys anymore? They have the third-highest payroll in baseball. One of the players talked about winning 100 games at the start of spring training. A local tabloid touted them as “Best Team Ever’’ before a game was played.

And they are 5-16 in September. Unraveling. And now, according to Sox ambassador/Hall of Famer/Theo bandmate Peter Gammons, we’ve got new buzz that Terry Francona has fallen out of favor with Sox management and might be managing for his job (inside baseball you don’t hear much about on NESN).

They were in first place on Sept. 1. Three weeks later - with a full week left in the regular season - they were eliminated from the top spot in the division by a Yankee team that was roundly mocked throughout New England for most of the last year.

Can we please not make this about injuries? Every team has injuries. The 2010 Sox were truly decimated by injuries. Not this group. This is about underperformance. Most of the Sox stars have been here for the bulk of the season.

This is about Carl Crawford’s pathetic 18-steal, no-production season. For $20 million a year, Crawford can’t get on base 30 percent of the time?

This is about John Lackey, the most buffeted starting pitcher in the 111-year history of the franchise. “Old Tomato’’ Jack Lamabe is finally off the hook. That goes double for Johnny “Way Back’’ Wasdin. I especially loved the talk-show caller this week who said his doctor told him he was “Lackey intolerant.’’

No one in the Sox clubhouse is spared. Even Adrian Gonzalez has come up short when it counts. For all of his great numbers, the first baseman has been A-Gone against the Rays (.131) and Yankees (.186).

General manager Theo Epstein gets his share of the blame pie for the inestimable millions spent on 1. players who aren’t here and 2. players we wish weren’t here. Erik Bedard has won one game since coming to the team late in July. The book on Bedard was that he doesn’t pitch in a pennant race and gets hurt in September. Check and double check. How can the Sox be surprised when a guy does exactly what he’s always done?

And let’s not start on Bobby Jenks, Mike Cameron, and the raft of shortstop busts.

The pitching is particularly pathetic. Like it or not, momentum was lost when Tim Wakefield needed nine tries to get his 200th win. Josh Beckett couldn’t hold a 4-1 lead against the Orioles Wednesday at Fenway. Sox starters have an ERA of 6.75 over the last 18 games. Statistically, the Sox are likely to wind up being the team with the highest September ERA ever to make the playoffs.

Oh, and let’s not forget that they’ve made 23 errors in 21 games this month.

Would it be piling on to reference the wild pitches, passed balls, and easy steals allowed?

Defensive indifference? Or just plain old indifference?

Some of this has to come down on the manager. Maybe everybody is just a little too comfortable playing for Francona. Maybe the food spread should have been turned over in the clubhouse once or twice.

These Sox have simply been too fat and too happy too long. Maybe Francona should have called out Lackey once or twice. Maybe the Sox are going to take him down the way Patriots players walked over nice guy Pete Carroll.

There’s going to be blood in the water in New York. Epstein has put the word out there, and it ought to be an awkward couple of weeks around the Red Sox.

This team has too much talent to play this badly. The Sox were the best team in baseball for four months, but the 2-10 start has been bookended by this putrid finish.

Even Schill gave up. Submitting the type of commentary he routinely railed against when he played, the Big Blowhard went on the radio and said he doesn’t think the Sox will make the playoffs. He went so far as to say he didn’t want to see them make the playoffs, given the way they were playing.

Once again, I disagree with the Big Lug. The Sox are going to make it. The numbers are with them. Like hopeless habitants of Shawshank, the Sox can watch the Rays and Angels lose, scratch days off the calendar, and inch ever closer to an inevitable playoff date with the Rangers or Tigers.

But what a way to go. Has any playoff-bound team ever been booed off the field at the conclusion of its final regular-season home game? During Fan Appreciation Week? Not exactly Rico Petrocelli catching Rich Rollins’s popup (“and there’s pandemonium on the field’’) on the final day of ’67, was it?

“Best interests of baseball’’ is rarely invoked by the Commish. Bowie Kuhn did it when Charlie Finley was selling his stars in 1976. Bart Giamatti used it when he kicked Pete Rose to the curb. Most recently, Bud cited “best interests’’ to save the Dodgers from the House of McCourt.

Now it’s time for Bud to bounce the Sox from October baseball in 2011. If the Rays or Angels can’t do it, Bud should do it.

For the good of the game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806'sTwin+. Show Bill-806'sTwin+'s posts

Re: WOW!BAM!BING!Dan Shaughnessy RIPS RED SOX TO PIECES! AND SUGGESTS FRANCONA IS MANAGING FOR HIS JOB!

A collapse would be great for Dan; he could write a sequel to his first book:"Curse of the Bambino." However, what would be a good title for his book if the Sox turn it around and win the World Series??

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeCiaburri. Show MikeCiaburri's posts

Re: WOW!BAM!BING!Dan Shaughnessy RIPS RED SOX TO PIECES! AND SUGGESTS FRANCONA IS MANAGING FOR HIS JOB!

hmmmm according to their record they deserve it (if they get in) so they played a bad month of ball, obviously they played well enough during the year and if you can play lousy for a full month and STILL make the play offs, that says something. so stick it up ya A** ya dumb beat writer who could turn 2 if his column depended on it, and judging by his writing.....................

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I thought the CHB was supposed to be a journalist? He writes like the frustrated fan he is.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from njalb. Show njalb's posts

In Response to WOW!BAM!BING!Dan Shaughnessy RIPS RED SOX TO PIECES! AND SUGGESTS FRANCONA IS MANAGING FOR HIS JOB!:
    [QUOTE]Dan Shaughnessy/Boston Globe With nowhere else to turn, I called baseball commissioner Bud Selig yesterday. Left him a message: Please, Bud. This is your chance to think outside the box. You have sweeping powers that enable you to make unilateral decisions “in the best interests of baseball.’’ How about banishing the 2011 Red Sox from postseason play on the grounds of horsebleep play for the entire month of September? This is where we are with less than a week to go in the regular season. The math says the Sox are probably going to qualify for the tournament, but they should be barred on sheer principle and merit. Let the worthy teams participate in the playoffs. The Sox are not worthy. Really, how do you root for these guys anymore? They have the third-highest payroll in baseball. One of the players talked about winning 100 games at the start of spring training. A local tabloid touted them as “Best Team Ever’’ before a game was played. And they are 5-16 in September. Unraveling. And now, according to Sox ambassador/Hall of Famer/Theo bandmate Peter Gammons, we’ve got new buzz that Terry Francona has fallen out of favor with Sox management and might be managing for his job (inside baseball you don’t hear much about on NESN). They were in first place on Sept. 1. Three weeks later - with a full week left in the regular season - they were eliminated from the top spot in the division by a Yankee team that was roundly mocked throughout New England for most of the last year. Can we please not make this about injuries? Every team has injuries. The 2010 Sox were truly decimated by injuries. Not this group. This is about underperformance. Most of the Sox stars have been here for the bulk of the season. This is about Carl Crawford’s pathetic 18-steal, no-production season. For $20 million a year, Crawford can’t get on base 30 percent of the time? This is about John Lackey, the most buffeted starting pitcher in the 111-year history of the franchise. “Old Tomato’’ Jack Lamabe is finally off the hook. That goes double for Johnny “Way Back’’ Wasdin. I especially loved the talk-show caller this week who said his doctor told him he was “Lackey intolerant.’’ No one in the Sox clubhouse is spared. Even Adrian Gonzalez has come up short when it counts. For all of his great numbers, the first baseman has been A-Gone against the Rays (.131) and Yankees (.186). General manager Theo Epstein gets his share of the blame pie for the inestimable millions spent on 1. players who aren’t here and 2. players we wish weren’t here. Erik Bedard has won one game since coming to the team late in July. The book on Bedard was that he doesn’t pitch in a pennant race and gets hurt in September. Check and double check. How can the Sox be surprised when a guy does exactly what he’s always done? And let’s not start on Bobby Jenks, Mike Cameron, and the raft of shortstop busts. The pitching is particularly pathetic. Like it or not, momentum was lost when Tim Wakefield needed nine tries to get his 200th win. Josh Beckett couldn’t hold a 4-1 lead against the Orioles Wednesday at Fenway. Sox starters have an ERA of 6.75 over the last 18 games. Statistically, the Sox are likely to wind up being the team with the highest September ERA ever to make the playoffs. Oh, and let’s not forget that they’ve made 23 errors in 21 games this month. Would it be piling on to reference the wild pitches, passed balls, and easy steals allowed? Defensive indifference? Or just plain old indifference? Some of this has to come down on the manager. Maybe everybody is just a little too comfortable playing for Francona. Maybe the food spread should have been turned over in the clubhouse once or twice. These Sox have simply been too fat and too happy too long. Maybe Francona should have called out Lackey once or twice. Maybe the Sox are going to take him down the way Patriots players walked over nice guy Pete Carroll. There’s going to be blood in the water in New York. Epstein has put the word out there, and it ought to be an awkward couple of weeks around the Red Sox. This team has too much talent to play this badly. The Sox were the best team in baseball for four months, but the 2-10 start has been bookended by this putrid finish. Even Schill gave up. Submitting the type of commentary he routinely railed against when he played, the Big Blowhard went on the radio and said he doesn’t think the Sox will make the playoffs. He went so far as to say he didn’t want to see them make the playoffs, given the way they were playing. Once again, I disagree with the Big Lug. The Sox are going to make it. The numbers are with them. Like hopeless habitants of Shawshank, the Sox can watch the Rays and Angels lose, scratch days off the calendar, and inch ever closer to an inevitable playoff date with the Rangers or Tigers. But what a way to go. Has any playoff-bound team ever been booed off the field at the conclusion of its final regular-season home game? During Fan Appreciation Week? Not exactly Rico Petrocelli catching Rich Rollins’s popup (“and there’s pandemonium on the field’’) on the final day of ’67, was it? “Best interests of baseball’’ is rarely invoked by the Commish. Bowie Kuhn did it when Charlie Finley was selling his stars in 1976. Bart Giamatti used it when he kicked Pete Rose to the curb. Most recently, Bud cited “best interests’’ to save the Dodgers from the House of McCourt. Now it’s time for Bud to bounce the Sox from October baseball in 2011. If the Rays or Angels can’t do it, Bud should do it. For the good of the game.
    Posted by Bill-806'sTwin+[/QUOTE]

Let's face it most of what he said is true, BUT as crappy as they've played they still have 6 games to show some guts, qualify and ambush someone in the playoffs. Do I think they will based on what I've seen recently, Hell NO!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Last time I checked the team with the better record wins the Wild card and makes the playoffs, and thus is the team that deserves to be there. I was unaware that MLB went to a point system where July and August wins count less than September wins.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SculEsqare. Show SculEsqare's posts

Was I the only one who say this coming (May Post). Spring training (not going to use the word training again, there was none) wasn’t exactly bush league, but no better than Pony League. The writing was on the wall, or I should say on the shoulders of Tito and his coaches. I watched it all, Pony League discipline, tea ball hustle, lack of team communication and most of all up through the last spring game no direction or team identity. What we did have was TV Interviews; empty dugouts during home games, everyone on their own schedule, a lot of walking and talking. The proof is in the films. We showed our true colors the first month of the season, a replica of spring training which brings us to a no excuse breakdown of discipline, hustle, communication, direction or identity. Let’s put the players on the scale, a before and after, I bet there weight increase is more than their energy output.  As I wrote in my May post in part: If they ever needed a coach it’s this year. Not their fault, check the mix: new coaches, new players, same old pitching staff, no identity, no energy, no team cohesiveness, worse spring training in red sox history a ship with no captain. So who is to blame?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

Dan's article reminds me of bad fan-fiction - I was done reading after the 4th paragraph where he mentioned "banishing the Sox from post season for bad play in September". 

How about a three-year ban for the Mariners for having such a lousy 2011 season?  How about a three year ban on the Yankees since they almost always make the post season?  How about we give the WS title to the Pirates because they did really well in June and that was unexpected?  Baltimore is going through some hard luck right now - how about we give the WS title to them to boost their morale?  How about we don't let Cleveland play at all next year since they started their free-fall mid-way through? 

Shaughnessy can't be that stupid, so I'm sure he's trying to open his article with a bit of dark humor - but he just took three straight fast balls down the middle with that one and never took the bat off his shoulders. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Almost every obvious dig Shaugnessy lands in this article is true.  But, the premise is the only misstep.  Because, no matter how it looks at the moment:  October baseball is not September baseball.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

He is as bad as Mike Lupica here in NY

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinjin5000. Show sinjin5000's posts

His point was that they don't deserve to be in the playoffs, and I totally agree with him. Horse bleep teams don't belong.

this is what I think should happen before 2012.

1. fire Francona and Epstien.

2. Cut Lackey, no matter what the RS owe him.

3. Trade Ellbury, Before the RS get stupid and sign him for $20,000000 a year too. yes he's had a great year, but one year does not make him worth doing something stupid.  

4. cut Jenks and Bedard, 

3. Trade Ellsbury for a first class short stop or right fielder. 

5. Lastly, Please, please don't go out and sign anymore over the hill pitchers! and over priced players,  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

what exastly did he write that wasnt true.????????????  I dont want to see us in the plaoyffs if we play this poorly...i think we will however and i will hope for the best but our team smells of laziness and defeat at this point.  dont kill the messenger

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

After the Red Sox won last Friday's game with the Rays Shaughnessy wrote a piece telling everyone to relax, that we were assured of making the playoffs and things were fine.  In less than a week he goes from flip to flop.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: WOW!BAM!BING!Dan Shaughnessy RIPS RED SOX TO PIECES! AND SUGGESTS FRANCONA IS MANAGING FOR HIS JOB!:
    [QUOTE]After the Red Sox won last Friday's game with the Rays Shaughnessy wrote a piece telling everyone to relax, that we were assured of making the playoffs and things were fine.  In less than a week he goes from flip to flop.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Haha.  Nice point Hfx.  Shaughnessy is like Bill-806, only without the caps lock.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from aquachuck. Show aquachuck's posts

as much as it pains me to type this, curly haired boyfriend is spot on.  You can't argue w/ what we've seen this month.  A weekend rotation of Lester, Wake, & Bedard (?) in the Bronx doesn't exactly look like a series win on paper.  After that big fat tub of goo Martin spouted his anti Sox comments, they better wake up & rise to the occasion this weekend.  Remember after game 3 in the '04 ALCS, Sheffield spouted off & ripped the Sox also.  How'd that work out Gary?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

It's not that Shaughnessy is wrong, exactly, but he's trying to have it both ways - Gonzalez has had a monstrous year, but struggled against the Rays and Yanks, and struggled in the last series of the year against the Rays.  But he's been 10 for 22 since.  Crawford had a bad April but has been about career average since.  His SBs are down, but he's playing with an offense where first base is often scoring position.  Crawford is 7 for his last 14.  So which is it - can you blame a player who is heating up in mid September for his poor overall stats while simultaneously blaming a team for its poor September performance despite its 2-game Wild Card lead with 6 left to play?  Not if you have a little thing called intellectual integrity you can't.

His caught stealing comment is another example of shading the truth.  Varitek cannot throw anybody out - we knew that going into the season.  But Salty has been very good in that area, with a 32% CS rate.  When was the last time a RS catcher had a 32% CS rate?  Yeah, the passed balls are up, but directly in proportion to Wakefield innings.  You can't just throw that comment out there as if it were a fair comparison to the rest of the league.

The Sox have been playing their worst ball of the season, but they have been showing signs of breaking out of it.  Bard and Albers have looked back to form their last couple of starts - that wasn't going to happen by hiding them on the bench.  Papi has had about 5 HRs knocked down by the wind or pulled foul by inches - does anybody want to take a bet that he doesn't visit that right field porch in the Bronx at least twice this weekend?  Beckett was terrific in his last start - don't let the score fool you; 40 times a year, Reynold's bat gets in the way of a strikeout, and that was the difference in Beckett's start.  By the way - why is signing Lackey an utter failure, but extending Beckett is not even mentioned?  If Lackey and Beckett's numbers were reversed, would we be hearing anything at all about what a great signing Lackey was, or would we just be hearing about how stupid Theo was for extending Beckett?

This is a frustrating time to be a Red Sox fan, but it's also an opportunity.  We can turn this around, and enter the Post-Season with emotion and momentum.  Look at the Tigers - they were playing out of their minds for a month, and now they have dropped four of their last seven to the O's, A's and Royals.  Streaks, good or bad, don't last forever; really, they can't be expected to last more than a month.  So if you could sit down at the start of the season and pick a date for the Sox to start getting hot - really, really hot, would it be Sept 1 or Sept 23?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Slomag. the wonderful numbers you mention for Gonzalez and Crawful were against the worst pitching staff in the universe. the B.O.'s.
    Why not mention spring training stats?
    Now we're blaming the wind? Don't both teams play in the same conditions?
    You're reallllllly reaching.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

The problem right now with what Shaughnessy wrote and what all the critics are saying is there's a whole lot of piling on, throwing every fault, misstep, etc into the pile.

He wrote, it's not about injuries, but every team has injuries. The same thing is true for underachieving players. The Sox had all the problems he wrote -- Crawford, players being comfortable (if that's a problem), etc -- the first five month of the season which they ended in first place.

So you have you have to start throwing out the peripheral stuff and see what the big problem is and it's simple. Pitching, which injuries were a part of. Lackey, of course falls into this category.

In September, the Sox had just two dependable starters in September, and one missed starts and even both weren't exactly lights out, save the bullpen that they needed to produce. Not having Buchholz finally caught up with the team. Not having DiceK or a dependable replacement hurt. And Lackey never reaching even last year's level hurt. And Bedard, who had pitched pretty well, going out in September hurt them. And all that killed the bullpen.

All that other crp is meaningless for the most part. If he needed to rip someone a new one, maybe it should have been Reddick. He made that error where he casually went after a routine fly ball with one hand and dropped it. Maybe if Francona ripped him -- privately is fine -- maybe he wouldn't have made the recent boneheaded play that cost the team.

A lot of people rips the team for being fat, happy as if they're just going through the motions and taking things for granted and not playing hard. OK, let's break it down. Who can you say it about?

Youk? Pedey?, Scutaro, who's been one of the few producing in Sept.?, A-Gon? Ellsbury? Beckett? Lester? Tek? This is a strong core and I can't pin that on any of them. I'm not going to go through the entire roster, but who?

The Sox have made some boneheaded baserunning plays in the past couple of weeks, Youk twice, Aviles once, off the top of my head, but couldn't that fall into trying too hard category?

Shaughnessy mentioned Wake's nine tries going for his 200th win, but a couple of points. First, who else was there to pitch? Everybody else going out there is getting lit up too? Second, the Wake should have had his 200th win a lot sooner. The bullpen blew a few games, he got no run support in a couple and for whatever reason, the team played horrible defense behind him.

Like I said -- everyone's throwing all kinds crp into the pile but the breakdown is simple.

The pitchers couldn't get anyone out this month. How is that Francona's fault. He pushes a starter -- like Beckett -- which some on here wanted (to let the starters go deeper) and that backfires. He brings in Bard earlier, that backfires. He brings in Papelbon earlier, that backfires.

When a pitcher is getting lit up in the second, third and fourth inning and the manager looks to the bullpen and sees just one pitcher (Aceves) he's willing to bring in at that point, what's a manager going to do.

The Sox might not have been as decimated iwth injuries as last year -- although it would have been nice to have Youk healthy this month. Maybe he would have been the difference in a couple of those close losses.

But a couple of injuries had a tremendous dominoe affect IMO. First Buchholz's. Had he been in there and pitching like he was, that's one less game you have to put a stiff like Miller or Weiland or OK, even Wake the way he's been itching lately.

Beckett missing a start and Bedard going out in Sept killed the Sox too.

For all the other piling on that Shaughnessy and others have done, had the Sox gone into September with a rotation of Beckett, Lester, Buchholz, Bedard and even Lackey, does anyone thing the Sox would be in this shape right now?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DEBeardsr. Show DEBeardsr's posts

"WOW"!!!!! I agree with Shaughnessy 110%.I have always liked him because he tells it like it is. He is not afraid of not coddling and pampering these bums to pacify some turkeys. We need many more like him. VIVA SHAUGHNESSY!!!!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In Response to Re: WOW!BAM!BING!Dan Shaughnessy RIPS RED SOX TO PIECES! AND SUGGESTS FRANCONA IS MANAGING FOR HIS JOB!:
    [QUOTE]Slomag. the wonderful numbers you mention for Gonzalez and Crawful were against the worst pitching staff in the universe. the B.O.'s. Why not mention spring training stats? Now we're blaming the wind? Don't both teams play in the same conditions? You're reallllllly reaching.
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

Really?  So if Gonzalez and Crawford were 0 for the series in games 153-156 but they had terrific numbers in a series against the Yankees back in April, you would give them a pass?

I'm not blaming the wind - I'm saying that streaks are about play and breaks, good or bad, and they don't last forever.  We have 6 games left - you have seen what the Sox can do when they are firing on all cylinders.  If they win 5 or 6 games to end the year, would you bet against them to win it all?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: WOW!BAM!BING!Dan Shaughnessy RIPS RED SOX TO PIECES! AND SUGGESTS FRANCONA IS MANAGING FOR HIS JOB! : Really?  So if Gonzalez and Crawford were 0 for the series in games 153-156 but they had terrific numbers in a series against the Yankees back in April, you would give them a pass? I'm not blaming the wind - I'm saying that streaks are about play and breaks, good or bad, and they don't last forever.  We have 6 games left - you have seen what the Sox can do when they are firing on all cylinders.  If they win 5 or 6 games to end the year, would you bet against them to win it all?
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]Not be a t total Debbie Downer, yes I would bet against them because I hate losing money, whilst I would be rooting for them.

The rotation after Beckett and Lester is sub par compare to the other teams that will be in the playoffs and most playoff teams will at least match up decently against our top two. Our bullpen is not deep.

Weirder things have happened but this team doesn't have a post season rotation. Not surprising when you lose 2 starters for the year (Buch and Dice K) and Lackey has the worst year any RS starter has ever had statiscally.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

No pen is deep in quality. Any AL team in playoff is a contender. But stop makin excuses for 88 to 94 wins and a 160M payroll.

Sections
Shortcuts