Wrist surgery for Carl Crawford

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Re: Wrist surgery for Carl Crawford

Hey Pike thats you a Northern Pike hiding behind Camelwalk and a picture of Pineda and the New York Giants. OTE]In Response to Re: Wrist surgery for Carl Crawford : Posted by Camelwalk[/QUOTE]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

In Response to Re: Wrist surgery for Carl Crawford:
    [QUOTE]Did Crawford always have that awkward batting stance???? Maybe I was too dazzled by the 23 stolen bases he had against Tek that one game but I just dont recall him looking that goofy/uncomfortable at the plate...and his defense wasnt anything to write home about either last year...and I was one of his biggest boosters when he was signed....I hope it was the wrist and he comes back on a mission..... something tells me this could all go south very quickly in 2012 :(
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

I know what the term " gone south" means such as in "my stock went south after I purchased it".

Not really sure of what you mean above however. Crawford, the injury, the effect of the injury, the worry?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

just the team's prospects...CC could start very slowly, bard/aceves will take time to adjust, and the yanks could start off so hot and never look back....

i think it is going to be a tough year in a very tough division....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wrist surgery for Carl Crawford : The feeling was that the injury would heal with rest.  Apparently, it didn't, but I can understand why they chose not to have surgery as soon as the season ended.  Surgery is usually not the first option when an injury could heal with rest and rehab.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]
    That makes sense. No one, especially an athlete, is in a hurry to have surgery. Especially if rest is an option. I think that Crawford will have a better season this year. That wrist may have had alot to do with his performance last year. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wrist surgery for Carl Crawford : That makes sense. No one, especially an athlete, is in a hurry to have surgery. Especially if rest is an option. I think that Crawford will have a better season this year. That wrist may have had alot to do with his performance last year. 
    Posted by jrh1194[/QUOTE]

Excellent post jrh1194. You are a breath of fresh air.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Sorry!  I can't help but feel sceptical about the wrist.  I like Crawford, but if the wrist was a problem, why not have the GD surgery a lot sooner???  Why does it take 3+ months of 'rest' to determine that the wrist is, or is not a problem?  What the hell is going on with this organization, & the medical staff???  If a key member of a a multi-million dollar company may need surgery, you can bet your arss said company is going to get it together before the start of a new business venture!  They sure as heck are not going to wait until it may put the guy out of operation just before he is set to start working with a new client.

Yes!  I know it is not directly applicable, but please spare me the feigned outrage.  This organization, & the medical staff needs to get it's act together!!!!  Pronto!  This is a recurring theme with this team!  Seriously! Before you jump all over me for being a "doubting Thomas," think about the track record over the past few years with this team & injuries. I LIKE CRAWFORD!!!! I'm just getting a bit sick of how this team handles suspected injuries!  There also does seem to be a case for guys on this team, who are doing lousy, & suddenly have some vague amorphous 'injury????' OK..... There....... I said it.......... I'm actually sceptical. Now you can go off on me. :)

p.s.....   My favorite "doubting Thomas?"     Tom Brady :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Ah yes the "wrist" excuse. The wrist prevented him from stealing bases, taking base-on-balls, and catching the ball. It did not bother him when he ate dinner however, or surfed the Internet.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Rocco Baldelli  -   Part 2 except for a lot more money.   Crawford was a big fish in a small pond for 9 years.    Epstein was delusional thinking Boston would be easy.      It's part of the reason why Cherington is on a short leash for spending courtesy of Lucchino.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Why would crawford have surgery in the off season? 

the bext thing to do when you are making 20 million, is wait until a month before spring training to have surgery - that way you miss work outs rather than parties.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

Ah yes the "wrist" excuse. The wrist prevented him from stealing bases, taking base-on-balls, and catching the ball. It did not bother him when he ate dinner however, or surfed the Internet.
    Posted by BurritoT

When one of your stocks goes down unexpectedly you try to find out why and if you find the reason (excuse ) then you feel a bit better instead of bewildered.

If there is any possibility that Crawford's poor season was in any way caused by his wrist injury then wouldn't that "excuse" be good news to a Red Sox fan?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I really think that Theo overlooked the difference in the Rays line-up compared to the Sox line-up in that pitchers would go after Crawford much differently.  And furthermore, that Crawford isn't a quality enough hitter to be able to accept the challenge of pitchers going right after him. 

Same thing w/ the defense - his speed made him appear to a good OF'er because he would chase down balls in gaps in Tampa.  But he is bloodly horrible on pretty much every other ball hit his way and Fenway's LF really exposes him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

I wanted Papi signed badly...but not at the stupidly inflated rate of $16.5 million. He WILL win arbitration and the Red Sox were dim witted to offer it. They need to spread things out to a 2 or 3 yr deal, but that's gonna be difficult now that they're botched this so badly. It's gonna take some old fashioned begging and butt kissing, something this organization has never been great at. Oh well...it is what it is. I've decided to wait until opening day to try to understand what this team is trying to do this pre season. Too many mixed messages for anyone to follow.

In Response to Re: Wrist surgery for Carl Crawford : lol thanks Youk...Utica/Pike just reasoned that we signed papi so that the Yanks wouldnt (like the yanks truly wanted another thirty something dh making 14 mil a yr)...this is the kind of nonsense us "trolls" have to deal with... Im just quite confused that if the luxury tax was so important top BenC, then why did he offer a boatload of money to Papi...this suggests a lack of long term planning, competence, or smarts...either way I am getting quite discouraged hearing people say we have to move Scutaro to save money (6million) but then they say nothing of the 2011 ingrate veterans who make 2-3x that and did nothing last year except bioatch and moan...Scutaro, Pedey,  Salty, and Ells (now at 8 million a yr) were totally worth the money they make... these same posters dont want Oswalt (who had ONE injury year last yr and who is a horse of a starter) for 8 million....in the same breath they defend Beckett, despite what BOTH of his major league managers said about his behavior on off days, but think his salary is ok at 16 mil a yr. this is dumb and needs to be called out everyday...
    Posted by georom4

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Take your time Carl.  Enjoy your $142 million dollars and the last laugh.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

I remember the interview mid season with Crawford when he spoke of how frustrated he was at not performing better..said he felt great..was healthy...no mention of sore wrist...I doubt he realized there was a problem that couldn't be overcome with conservative treatment or rest.  Such problems are greatly improved with conservative treatment in many cases...this just wasn't one of them.  I don't think the timing is indicative of nefarious scheming by Crawford or the medical staff.  It just is what it is.  He should be ready early in the season if not the opening games.  Still think we will see the day when he meets expectations.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

Why didn't Crawford have surgery earlier?
    Posted by 2004Idiots

Posted by Peter Abraham, Globe StaffJanuary 19, 2012 01:06 PM

Quite a few readers have e-mailed to ask why Carl Crawford waited to have surgery on his left wrist this week instead of getting it done in October.

It's a reasonable question and there appears to be a simple answer: He didn't need surgery in the fall.

Crawford has had occasional wrist issues over the years and it bothered him at times in 2011. But there was no reason for him to have surgery at the time according to Ben Cherington. When Crawford started swinging a bat around Jan. 1 -- which is a normal timetable -- that's when it started to bother him. Given the time of the year, that was a concern.

An MRI showed cartilage damage and surgery was done.

Surgery is a last resort for players and teams. If a player has soreness in some area of his body, doctors and athletic trainers will try several other methods to allieviate that before they get to surgery. Knowing Crawford and how much he values working out in the offseason, he would have demanded surgery if he thought he needed it.