Writing on the Wall

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Writing on the Wall

I was wrong about Hamilton going to the Yankees, but I was hoping the Red Sox would go after him which they did not. I guess the theme this year is to have a low payroll and take the profits from Fenway this year. I believe they are going to sell this team and make it attractive with a low payroll base. You cannot tell me that with the guys Ben signed in Ross, Napoli, Victorino, and now Dempster that this is a good team. How does Ben figure the pitching staff got better with Dempster and are Lester and Bucholtz are going to get better as well. Lackey is coming back from elbow surgery, I mean come on here. We have an outfield of Gomes in Left, Ellsbury in center, and Victorino in right. Gomes is terrible defensive  outfielder, and Victorino is a 255 hitter in the National League. Ellsbury is coming back from an injury as well.

This team is a complete cluster $uck with two idiots running it. So the fans in Boston are suppose to pay top dollar at Fenway to watch this. They should match the payroll and cut ticket prices. This is going to be a long year or Bridge Year as the call it to oblivion.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Re: Writing on the Wall

In response to louisthelipp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Either a chronic complainer or else a concern troll. Definitely a poster who NEVER acts like a fan.

[/QUOTE]

Hey Louie think this is a competive championship team. This team will be lucky to climb out of last place. Now management is telling us that we are going to wait and build, but are they reducing ticket prices to the level ofbtalent on the field? This was a good franchise untilnthey stopped signing and going after top pitchers.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

In response to AL34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Either a chronic complainer or else a concern troll. Definitely a poster who NEVER acts like a fan.

[/QUOTE]

Hey Louie think this is a competive championship team. This team will be lucky to climb out of last place. Now management is telling us that we are going to wait and build, but are they reducing ticket prices to the level ofbtalent on the field? This was a good franchise untilnthey stopped signing and going after top pitchers.

[/QUOTE]

How do you know that?!?! Remember the Nats last year? They came out of NOWHERE to be a contender! What about the Angels? Everybody thought they were a "dream team" with Pujols (It's ironic that I'm posting this on the day they signed Hamilton), but they didn't even make the playoffs! What a team looks like on paper doesn't matter. How they produce during the season matters, because right now, we're tied for first place in the AL East!! We need some optimism in the room, jeez!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to bgomez's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How do you know that?!?! Remember the Nats last year? They came out of NOWHERE to be a contender! What about the Angels? Everybody thought they were a "dream team" with Pujols (It's ironic that I'm posting this on the day they signed Hamilton), but they didn't even make the playoffs! What a team looks like on paper doesn't matter. How they produce during the season matters, because right now, we're tied for first place in the AL East!! We need some optimism in the room, jeez!

[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY. any team can go the way of the 2012 sox and get ravaged by injuries. we will be a good team next year, WS? probably not. but 93 losses? no way

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosox0489. Show bosox0489's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY. any team can go the way of the 2012 sox and get ravaged by injuries. we will be a good team next year, WS? probably not. but 93 losses? no way

[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosox0489. Show bosox0489's posts

In response to bosox0489's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

I agree with both Al and Flattie on this.  First AL you maybe correct in saying that some of these recent signings are a joke, I am scratching my head on Dempster,  but Flattie is correct in saying this team will play hard.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosox0489. Show bosox0489's posts

What a pile of crap. Spend the stinkin money. Now we have a club house full a sissies who get along with the press.

stevebosox04 since 1946

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Nope. Probably not 93 losses. Valentine is gone and that will get us a few more wins. I would think that 88-90 losses is realistic as the team is currently constructed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Nope. Probably not 93 losses. Valentine is gone and that will get us a few more wins. I would think that 88-90 losses is realistic as the team is currently constructed.

[/QUOTE]

*snore* you bore me pumpsie.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from az55. Show az55's posts

you weren't figureing another ring in 13 were you? LOL

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucbom. Show lucbom's posts

[QUOTE]

I was wrong about Hamilton going to the Yankees, but I was hoping the Red Sox would go after him which they did not. I guess the theme this year is to have a low payroll and take the profits from Fenway this year. I believe they are going to sell this team and make it attractive with a low payroll base. You cannot tell me that with the guys Ben signed in Ross, Napoli, Victorino, and now Dempster that this is a good team. How does Ben figure the pitching staff got better with Dempster and are Lester and Bucholtz are going to get better as well. Lackey is coming back from elbow surgery, I mean come on here. We have an outfield of Gomes in Left, Ellsbury in center, and Victorino in right. Gomes is terrible defensive  outfielder, and Victorino is a 255 hitter in the National League. Ellsbury is coming back from an injury as well.

This team is a complete cluster $uck with two idiots running it. So the fans in Boston are suppose to pay top dollar at Fenway to watch this. They should match the payroll and cut ticket prices. This is going to be a long year or Bridge Year as the call it to oblivion.

[/QUOTE]

Sure do agree in general with your post "AL34".  If I have the numbers right, the Sox spent approximately 51 mil per year for Victorino, Napoli, Gomes, and Dempster.  For "a few mil more" we could have had Hamilton, LaRoche, and re-signed Ross.  This sounds a lot more attractive to me even if there was no help yet in starting pitchers.  What a waste.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from craig2174. Show craig2174's posts

If they are done and think this is a competitive team, I will save alot of money this year, staying away from fenway unfortunately..  after going to about 25 games last year and they only won 7 or 8.  Not looking for a repeat of that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

If we get 32 more on the DL and long term injuries to Pedroia, Papi, Middlebrooks, Ellsbury, and Bailey, then you can expect another poor season. If Bucholz and Lester underperform then you can expect another 2012. Are you guys banking on this? I am different, I hoping that injuries are few and that players perform up to their capabilities. Call me a pollyanna of you wish. I'd rather be that than a perpetual wet blanket.

[/QUOTE]

I'm banking on more injuries than the league average due to the average age of our players (but nothing close to 32)  and one of buchh/lester to continue to underperform (playing it safe).

So Im predicting half of the cr*p luck we had last year to resurfface.  However, I also predict some of the good luck (emergence of Middlebrooks) to duplicate. I think (hopefully) that it will take form in a pitcher this time.  I have my eye on De La Rosa because he has Verlander heat and people come back stronger these days after TJ.

I like Napoli, Victorino, and Dempster has upside.

Second place, in with a wild card.  All that matters is getting in, playoffs are a cr*p shoot. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

In response to Flattiehater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Disagree. I think that with the new manger and the new players and new clubhouse atmosphere that this will be a huge improvement over last year. With less injuries and the return of players with something to prove and a youth movement this may be a bridge year overall but it will be a fun one. And the fact that we didn't lose the kids that are our future I think we've done just fine. Ben may make some other moves as well.

[/QUOTE]

Well said. I was thrilled to see Hamilton got a deal by any other team than the SOX. $125 is not chump change. It would have landed the SOX right back into the days b4 the Dodgers saved the Sox franchise last yr. Sox are doing just fine with what has been available. Maybe overpaid a bit for Victorino, but time will tell.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Real long shot, I doubt that will happen. But if you want to wish and hope, better to you.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to lucbom's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sure do agree in general with your post "AL34".  If I have the numbers right, the Sox spent approximately 51 mil per year for Victorino, Napoli, Gomes, and Dempster.  For "a few mil more" we could have had Hamilton, LaRoche, and re-signed Ross.  This sounds a lot more attractive to me even if there was no help yet in starting pitchers.  What a waste.   

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, they took the money and got players who would not complain and be kool aid drinkers. The money was better spent getting one or two players instead of the mediocre ones they picked up.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to bigdog1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree with both Al and Flattie on this.  First AL you maybe correct in saying that some of these recent signings are a joke, I am scratching my head on Dempster,  but Flattie is correct in saying this team will play hard.

[/QUOTE]

I think they will play hard but emotion only carries you so far, talent carries you the rest of the way. We are way short on talent if you think this team is going to get into the playoffs. Way short on talent in 2013.  Management is banking profit this year. Young Ben was read the riot act before he took the job about going low budget in the future and that Larry Luchinno was going to be calling the shots in the future. I said this a long time ago and then it came out about the Dodgers calling Luchinno, not Ben about the salary dump last mid August.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to lucbom's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, they took the money and got players who would not complain and be kool aid drinkers. The money was better spent getting one or two players instead of the mediocre ones they picked up.

[/QUOTE]

Opposed to guys who complain? really? This year was basically full of mediocre talent in FA. They said the whole time that they would NOT give any long term deals out. why are you surprised by these moves? The complainers and so-called trouble makers on the Soxwere referred to as "fat cats" by people on this board and your upset now that we got guys who dont complain? I dont get it. I imagine having guys that play hard and are a good infuence in the clubhouse doesnt matter to you.

If you thought they were a sure bet for a wsc this year, you were fooling yourself. They will be better than least year and with a little luck we'll see the post season, but are far from a sure thing. I know one thing, they will be a lot better to watch in 2013 than they were in 2012. And a lot more likable.

Once Napoli signs and every arb case and pre arb salaries are figured, we will be between 130-140M. They will probably make a couple more minor moves whiich could add to that as well. Thats hardly going cheap. Id rather save some $$$ then just spend it because we have it. We'll have $$, prospects and payroll flexability to make a dealine move if needed as well...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Real long shot, I doubt that will happen. But if you want to wish and hope, better to you.

[/QUOTE]

The Nats had talent and made good deals last year including the Gio Gonzalez trade which Young Ben got beat on again. He is a poor talent judge, just look at the garbage trades he or whoever is calling the shots made last year. Nothing this team did in the off season gives me a warm feeling that they will be competive let alone improve on last year.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to bigdog1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think they will play hard but emotion only carries you so far, talent carries you the rest of the way. We are way short on talent if you think this team is going to get into the playoffs. Way short on talent in 2013.  Management is banking profit this year. Young Ben was read the riot act before he took the job about going low budget in the future and that Larry Luchinno was going to be calling the shots in the future. I said this a long time ago and then it came out about the Dodgers calling Luchinno, not Ben about the salary dump last mid August.

[/QUOTE]

I'd rather us just not sign anyone this year, trade all our 2014 FAs to be and maybe most of those in 2015 as well. Stockpile the prospects and only make deals for players with 3+ years of team control all within normal prime range.

Next year's class may be even more expensive, but they look to be better.

I am really a bit surprised that we have spent about $50M a year so far and are still not even close to being serious contenders unless almost everything clicks all at once.

Sections
Shortcuts