Wrong

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Wrong

I would like to take this opportunity to say that I was wrong. When the Red Sox hired John Farrell to be their manager, my comment was that "this will end badly." For all anyone knows, things still might, but this sure is a great beginning.

Congratulations to John Farrell and the Boston Red Sox. Here's hoping they win it all.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: Wrong

AB,

May I edit your comment to put it in a better light?  :o)

It did end badly.  For the ALE!!!!

Enjoy the remainder of the season, friend.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Thanks, SY. This season's been a great ride so far. Worst to first. How many of us thought that would happen last March? It would really be something if they take home the trophy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I thought Farrell was the right guy, but I absolutely, positively did not see even 85 wins.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to antibody's comment:

Thanks, SY. This season's been a great ride so far. Worst to first. How many of us thought that would happen last March? It would really be something if they take home the trophy.

I am always optimistic, AB.  But I agree, in March, it was pure speculation.  Pure hope.  I'll second that trophy thought!  :oD

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

I would like to take this opportunity to say that I was wrong. When the Red Sox hired John Farrell to be their manager, my comment was that "this will end badly." For all anyone knows, things still might, but this sure is a great beginning.

Congratulations to John Farrell and the Boston Red Sox. Here's hoping they win it all.

You were not alone, I absolutely hated the move! And Im sure glad i dont know what im talking about!

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

I kept an open minded "let's wait and see", but did not view it as an impact move. I was wrong, Farrell is the difference. Now, if they can find a new GM who doesn't make idiotic value and fit moves like Hanrahan and Drew and Dempster, and trade players to asuage the confidence of a one and done veteran SS, they'll have all the bases covered.

Cherington has made some mistakes. All GMs make some mistakes. Hanrahan and Dempster were two of them; Drew was not. In case you were not aware of it, Drew is fourth in OPS among AL SS with more than 150 ABs and fifth in WAR, both better than Iglesias. His defense has been better than expected as well. In addition, Cherington signed Uehara, Gomes, Napoli, and Victorino ( I also believe his contract was a year too long) among others and because of the personnel presented to Farrell and how Farrell managed them we are now winners of the ALE. Farrell could not have done it without the right players. I give Cherington and Farrell both B's. Good job, not stellar, but good.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

Admitting you were wrong is a step in the right direction

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to 2013soxchamps's comment:

Admitting you were wrong is a step in the right direction

Correcting your behavior is the next step.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

I kept an open minded "let's wait and see", but did not view it as an impact move. I was wrong, Farrell is the difference. Now, if they can find a new GM who doesn't make idiotic value and fit moves like Hanrahan and Drew and Dempster, and trade players to asuage the confidence of a one and done veteran SS, they'll have all the bases covered.

Cherington has made some mistakes. All GMs make some mistakes. Hanrahan and Dempster were two of them; Drew was not. In case you were not aware of it, Drew is fourth in OPS among AL SS with more than 150 ABs and fifth in WAR, both better than Iglesias. His defense has been better than expected as well. In addition, Cherington signed Uehara, Gomes, Napoli, and Victorino ( I also believe his contract was a year too long) among others and because of the personnel presented to Farrell and how Farrell managed them we are now winners of the ALE. Farrell could not have done it without the right players. I give Cherington and Farrell both B's. Good job, not stellar, but good.

Dempster was not a "mistake" at all.  I would go as far as to say that he gave them pretty much exactly what they were looking for: A veteran presence with quality character and leadership who could give them a lot of innings at the back end of the rotation.  The Sox are 17 & 12 in his 29 starts, most of which would be considered "quality starts" and now he is going to have an opportunity to possibly be an important piece at the back end of the bullpen heading to the playoffs.  I'm not sure what you were "expecting" out of the guy, but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who isn't pretty clueless that would call the Dempster signing a "mistake."

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

Dempster was not a "mistake" at all.  I would go as far as to say that he gave them pretty much exactly what they were looking for: A veteran presence with quality character and leadership who could give them a lot of innings at the back end of the rotation.  The Sox are 17 & 12 in his 29 starts, most of which would be considered "quality starts" and now he is going to have an opportunity to possibly be an important piece at the back end of the bullpen heading to the playoffs.  I'm not sure what you were "expecting" out of the guy, but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who isn't pretty clueless that would call the Dempster signing a "mistake."

agree'd nobody thought he would lead our rotation. he is one of the better #5s in the league. we certainly could have done much much much worse.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to SinceYaz's comment:

I am always optimistic, AB.  But I agree, in March, it was pure speculation.  Pure hope.  I'll second that trophy thought!  :oD

Thanks for the second, SY (don't know why I turned green).

Hey, Promise. You aren't alone either. I don't often know what I'm talking about. Doesn't shut me up, though.

2013soxchamps: It's not hard for me to admit when I'm wrong as it seems that I'm wrong about things on a daily basis. Looks like I'm in the minority, though, because I meet people all over who are never wrong about anything. Maybe it's a flaw in my character or somethin'.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Dempster's ERA so far is 4.64 and his WHIP is 1.453. He was signed for this masterful piece of work for the paltry sum of $13.25M per year for two years. Thats a lot of money for a #5 SP. For the money, Brandon McCarthy, for example, was a better deal at $9M per year for two years-and his ERA and WHIP are better than Dempster's. I think you would be hard pressed to find any knowledgeable baseball fan who isn't clueless that is satisfied with the value Dempster gives the team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

some hits and misses dempster was a bit of a miss but not a huge one except pay is definitely way high

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Worst to first gets a B lol. Straight A everyday all day.   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

Worst to first gets a B lol. Straight A everyday all day.   

I can understand anyone who would give those two an A. Still, there have been too many tactical mistakes, IMO, that Farrell has made to earn an A. And Cherington did make some blunders himself.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Pumpsie everyone is going to make mistakes the season is 162 long for god's sakes.   

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Pumpsie everyone is going to make mistakes the season is 162 long for god's sakes.   

Farrell has made too many tactical errors IMO. A few are understandable, but he has made more than a few. We talk about them in the game chat; if you want to join us there I can send you the link.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Farrell has made too many tactical errors IMO. A few are understandable, but he has made more than a few. We talk about them in the game chat; if you want to join us there I can send you the link.

I agree there are some mistakes like not giving Berry a chance to steal the other night w/ no outs but by and large he has done an excellent job. Some of his pitching moves have been head scratchers at times but the reality is he knows his players, 94 wins tells us that.  He and his coaches held this team together after losing its best starter for 3 months and 2 different closers, he's kept this team focused all year.    

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Dempster's ERA so far is 4.64 and his WHIP is 1.453. He was signed for this masterful piece of work for the paltry sum of $13.25M per year for two years. Thats a lot of money for a #5 SP. For the money, Brandon McCarthy, for example, was a better deal at $9M per year for two years-and his ERA and WHIP are better than Dempster's. I think you would be hard pressed to find any knowledgeable baseball fan who isn't clueless that is satisfied with the value Dempster gives the team.

Brandon McCarthy?! Are you serious?!  He's been pretty bad this year pitching in mostly pitcher's parks and was healthy enough to only make 20 starts. I'd take Dempster over McCarthy all day long this year.  

Brandon McCarthy wasn't coming here, either.  He told his agent he only had one condition.  He preferred to stay out West, but his new team had to have it's spring training in Arizona. That emiminates Boston.  I'm sure you weren't aware of that, though.  Then again, I don't think you've been right about single thing this season.

Judging by your posts, the only thing you understand about stats is that you know how to manipulate them a little bit to whine about a particular player.  No player ever meets your ridiculous standards, but go on being miserable all the time and let others enjoy a remarkable season that you stated was "over" in May. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Judging by your posts, the only thing you understand about stats is that you know how to manipulate them a little bit to whine about a particular player.

I guess that puts me at one level of understanding above you, doesn't it. You cannot look at McCarthy's injuries and retrospectively say that he was not as good a deal as Dempster. For all you knew (which apparently isn't a whole lot) it could have been Dempster who was injured. Dempster's ERA in 2012 was 5.09; McCarthy was at 3.24. Dempster was paid over $13M; McCarthy was paid $9M. Knowing what you knew (again, not much, sad to say) last winter, which player was the better value? Never mind......this is past your understanding of baseball statistics. Don't trouble yourself with it.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Know what?

This is the best way to be wrong.

I was wrong about Carl Crawford.  In a way. I was super excited that he was added to the AGon off season.  I was right that if he started badly, we as a whole would ride him until he broke.  I even said I hope and pray he doesn't get injured or start slowly.  But I stick with our guys through thick or thin.  You fellas that called him Crawful were closer to right than I was.  He was nothing but a drain on the team, in the end.  Too bad.  Even now, he cannot accept his failure here ... I was wrong and we suffered over his being a Red Sox.  Funny how he is still bitter even with $142 million in his pocket (or will be).

That type of wrong was detracting, distracting and finally, disasterous.

This kind of wrong is so positive in the end that we all can enjoy it.  SO much so that we don't have a 162 game season.  We have more!!!

I'll take your kind of wrong any day, AB!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Good to see you friend, it's been a while!

I like farrell but I wasn't sure how it would work out.  So far so good!!!

Sections
Shortcuts