Xander at third base

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

Xander at third base

that last play should have been an error.  Even Remy said Xander got a late jump and used a cross over step to get to the ball.  Then there was the foul ball earlier in this game that he should have had.

He got his job at third last year on a foul ball when he was at short.  He hustled past Middy to get to the ball and everyone was impressed. The only problem was the ball was 5 rows deep and Middy knew it.  I did not see that hustle this play.

The problem at third is obviously he does not have players on both side to hide the fact that his range stinks.  He should go back to short to where at least he turns the dp very well.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Re: Xander at third base

In response to steven11's comment:

that last play should have been an error.  Even Remy said Xander got a late jump and used a cross over step to get to the ball.  Then there was the foul ball earlier in this game that he should have had.

He got his job at third last year on a foul ball when he was at short.  He hustled past Middy to get to the ball and everyone was impressed. The only problem was the ball was 5 rows deep and Middy knew it.  I did not see that hustle this play.

The problem at third is obviously he does not have players on both side to hide the fact that his range stinks.  He should go back to short to where at least he turns the dp very well.

I hope your not suggesting that Middlebrooks is a better defender.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

I wasn't mentioning Middy's name to suggest a comparison between the two.  Middy is gone and it is time to move on. Seeing how you brought it up, Middy is a better third baseman than Boggie.  The WS was a small sample size and and the more Xander stays at third, the more his weaknesses will be exposed.  The biggest problem for Xander defensively is, getting dirty is a thought process.  Getting dirty for Middy, Iggy, Dustin, and Drew is instinctive. Middy would have had that play at third and the foul ball.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

First of all, he is only 21 years old.   If you look at alot of guys who was only 20 to 21 years old like Jeter, Migual Caberera (used to play at 3b), Hanley Rameriz, etc., they all had struggle defensively including Jeter made 22 errors in his second year of professional along with 18 errors in his first year.  Moving him from one position to another will not make him to play better defensively.  Bogarets right now is not a great defender. He is just learning.  If we all want Boston to have a rebuilding year this year instead of trying to repeat for the WS titles, then we should see Bogarets to keep playing SS to get better for the next season.  But Boston isnt ready to raise the white flag.  Who know they will be by july and trade Drew to a contender so Boston can put Bogarets back to the SS spot.  Then keep evaluating him to see if he is capable to play SS defensively.

For now I just hope Boston get into a hot roll at the same time to hope that Victorino come back sooner!!  Once he come back, this team will get into a hot roll at the same time they must to stay healthy!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

It's been discussed and I will mention it again:

Put Xander in LF and leave him there. You have your corner power OF bat for the future.

Move Holt to RF and let Nava/JBJ play CF until Vic comes back.

Bring up Cecchini and see what he can do---release Size or find a trade partner.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

Put Xander in LF and leave him there. You have your corner power OF bat for the future.

Bring up Cecchini and see what he can do---release Size or find a trade partner.

[object HTMLDivElement]

Putting Holt in LF is enough of a gamble.

Putting him in RF is asking for trouble, particularly in Fenway.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

First of all, I love Xander's bat and I want him playing every day.  Next, age has nothing to do with it.  He is here and the sox need to groom him correctly.  His range at short was terrible and it was obvious before he got to fenway.  Once Drew decided not to sign, the sox should have committed to Xander at short. 

The Drew thing is a mistake and the last thing the sox needed was another silent bat.  Trade Drew and get Xander back to short.  I doubt they put him in left and no way he goes to right.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

First of all, I love Xander's bat and I want him playing every day.  Next, age has nothing to do with it.  He is here and the sox need to groom him correctly.  His range at short was terrible and it was obvious before he got to fenway.  Once Drew decided not to sign, the sox should have committed to Xander at short. 

The Drew thing is a mistake and the last thing the sox needed was another silent bat.  Trade Drew and get Xander back to short.  I doubt they put him in left and no way he goes to right.

you said his range at SS is terrible, and why the world you want him back there??

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

you said his range at SS is terrible, and why the world you want him back there??

yeah I was confused 2

Moving him from one position to another will not make him to play better defensively

very good point uconn

I think he has a chance to be a stud at either position but bouncing him around only hurts his chances IMO

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

He turns the double play well and out of the two positions, he plays short better.  Obviously time will tell on this subject.  Again, at short he has to players on either side to help him.  I am probably alone in my belief that playing third at fenway is harder than playing short. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

He turns the double play well and out of the two positions, he plays short better.  Obviously time will tell on this subject.  Again, at short he has to players on either side to help him.  I am probably alone in my belief that playing third at fenway is harder than playing short. 

Why would playing 3rd at Fenway be any harder than playing 3rd anywhere else?  With the angles and such, any of the outfield positions I would buy.  The infield is the infield.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

The OP is ridiculous.  of course you use a crossover step to get to that ball.  what would you suggest?  thirdbaseman to turn and run for a hard groundball to your left?  crossover is always a way the 3baseman gets to those balls. 

come on people.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to illinoisredsox's comment:

Why would playing 3rd at Fenway be any harder than playing 3rd anywhere else?  With the angles and such, any of the outfield positions I would buy.  The infield is the infield.

First of all the cross over remark was direct from Jerry Remy. He wasn't to impressed with Xander on that play.  I did not catch it and could care less how one gets to the ball as long as they do.

Why is playing third at fenway more difficult then other parks?  If you have to ask then maybe you never sat over that side close to the field.  People over there throw out remarks like, the first row seats at third are closer to the pitcher then the catcher is.  If the fans over at third don't think you are trying, they will let you know.  "Way to get dirty" is often used by fans over at third, if they think a player is not getting to balls.

The jump from playing third at Pawtucket to fenway can be a shock.  At Fenway the fans are right there and so close, you can take their cell phone without them knowing, as Mike Lowell did one game.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

crossover everytime for those balls. 

at first remy didnt think he used a crossover.  then whilst watching the slow-mo he said he did use a small crossover and then switched his attack to xander having a slow reaction.  it was a tough play that not many 3bman would make.  he got the tip of his glove on it.  maybe after a season or 2 at the hot corner he will get that ball.  i think it is unjustifiable to crucify xander on that play or say it should be an error.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

I have long advocated that XB is built to be a left fielder. Problem, now, is how is Holt doing out there? Seems to be doing very well! The entire team is a mess. I don't think Nava has the speed to play CF; they seem to avoid playing him there for some reason. I think Gomes should be released, as well as Sizemore. They've pretty much run out of gas. That blow that Holt took running into the LF wall the other night was an outstanding and athletic play. Victorino would probably have made the play, but would have been carried off the field on a stretcher. Every high school coach in the country would look at XB's various skills, and penciled him to play LF and bat 3rd. I am getting much more concerned with the Red Sox coaches every day. Do you ever see, a batter, after an out, make a comment to the next hitter? Ever see the next hitter ask? Think TW; he picked everyone's brain, then went to bat "assuming", his word what'he was going to see. Not "guessing"---assuming. I see none of that with this group.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Game, Set, Match.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

yeah I was confused 2

Moving him from one position to another will not make him to play better defensively

very good point uconn

I think he has a chance to be a stud at either position but bouncing him around only hurts his chances IMO

I agree. His confidence took a hit when they replaced him with Drew. And while it might have had something to do with Middlebrooks, at least initially, at the time Holt was working out well at third.

So it appeared as if the Sox had lost confidence in Bogey at short, plain and simple. Why? Because they never said whether he'd get back to short in the future. No wonder he's booting balls at third.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Range is much more important at SS.

Quick reflexes are more important at 3B, and I think Bogey is better suited for a quick reflex position than a wide range position.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Holt is a ballplayer. He can play anyplace you put him--he's a throwback. "Put me in coach" anyplace--just keep me in the lineup. If you had 9 guys like him we would all enjoy the games. Pedroia and Holt two of a kind--Gamers--Dirt Dogs--whatever you want to label them. 

I get the feeling people are worried about a players FEELINGSā€¦forget FEELINGS.

Speaking of hurt FEELINGS---Xander was a SS in the minors, he was a SS in Senior LL he was a SS in LL and maybe TBall. He's not a SS today. He really is a LF and I hope that's where he ends up. Someone should suggest he trade the number 2 in for a new number. He and Jeter need to come to the realization --SS has passed them by.

Xander can be our Emergency SS and 3 B--he's really our LF'der and he can continue the long history of great LF'ders.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Range is much more important at SS.

Quick reflexes are more important at 3B, and I think Bogey is better suited for a quick reflex position than a wide range position.

it's more than that though.  the glove to hand transfer is much more critical in the middle infield. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:

Game, Set, Match.

I thought I explained it, do you want to go over it again?  It seems he is going to make above average errors at both positions, which as long as he keeps hitting, isn't an issue.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Game, Set, Match.

I thought I explained it, do you want to go over it again?  It seems he is going to make above average errors at both positions, which as long as he keeps hitting, isn't an issue.

he's an upgrade defensively to Middlebrooks.

I want Boggy to play 3B and get more comfortable running the bases.  Then we're looking at one of our (Red Sox) best 3b of all time

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

Game, Set, Match.

I want Boggy to play 3B and get more comfortable running the bases.  Then we're looking at one of our (Red Sox) best 3b of all time

that is what the media and many fans were saying about xander at the short stop position.  I believe the sox did not offer Drew a multi year deal because the media and some scouts over sold his defensive skills. I think we can all agree on one thing.  Bringing back drew after he missed until June 1st or so, was a bad idea.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

Game, Set, Match.

that is what the media and many fans were saying about xander at the short stop position.  I believe the sox did not offer Drew a multi year deal because the media and some scouts over sold his defensive skills. I think we can all agree on one thing.  Bringing back drew after he missed until June 1st or so, was a bad idea.

some scouting reports had said he would eventually have to leave SS; suggesting the OF I believe.  I think they were basing it on his frame which didn't make a lot of sense to me given he's pretty lean and has a SS build.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

I did hear about him being too big to play short and moving over to third would the way to go.  I never heard left mentioned except for on this forum.  I guess it doesn't matter where he plays, just as long as he hits.

Lyons says Xander should go back for 2-3 weeks.  That JBJ had an asset to bring to the sox and Xander is getting buried at the moment.

Remy makes a point about players getting called up too soon.  Good take by Jerry.

Sections
Shortcuts