Xander Bogaerts promoted

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Re: Xander Bogaerts promoted

Whole season. Triple AAA

.298 Lefties

.280 Righties

.391 ahead in count

.247 behind in count

Bases empty .325

.238 with runners on

.250 with RISP

Just posting not judging, never know with a kid. Wish him well. Saw him play this year at Double AA. Always root for our kids.

One thing, people keep saying not that good Defensively at SS, I think he will surprise you. Has a great arm.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2013/08/report_bogaerts_being_called_up.html

Youngest positional player promoted to the Sox since Dwight Evans.  Jus got the alert on my phone, and ow I can't sleep.  I'm excited, and I feel this is the jolt the sox may need.  

Wow! You can't sleep?  It's ok to like your hometown team but please get a life dude.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

To pharaphrase what I'm hearing and reading about Bogarts, he's the anti-Iggy.  He's not ML ready defensively but can probably hit ML pitching.

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

"LET ME BE CLEAR",  The "TRANSFORMATION" begins !!!!!!

Repeat from J.B.J. Starting the season.........Oh ya ! Your clear all right.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Trout played 40 games in 2011, batted .220. Then you look at his stats in the Minors, and he had a .342 avg. in 4 seasons, just a matter of time for him.
    Play Bogaerts at his best Position to succeed, keep it simple.
    We face 4 Righties, right off the bat. This is strange, to tell you truth.

The minor league lines for Xander Bogaerts and Mike Trout:

XB 1623 PA, .296/.373/.489/.862

MT 1312 PA, .342/.425/.516/.941

At the time of his MLB call-up, Trout was a year younger than Bogaerts is now.

The minor league line of Brad Miller, another shortstop called up this year:

BM 999 PA, .334/.409/.516/.925

Miller played college baseball and is three years older than Bogaerts. Miller's MLB line to date:

44 G, 194 PA, .249/.314/.424/.738, OPS+ 111

I understand the excitement, but Red Sox fans should temper their expectations.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

This call up is nice, but won't matter much if the SOX starters don't start pitching. The Sox will not go anywhere unless the pitching starts doing its job period

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Maybe it's Henry"No Hit" Owens to be sent to Boston to rejuvinate the starting rotation????

Only kidding---he must serve his time in AAA with Cecchini----right???

Some Stats to Ponder about these two guys:

They have had almost the same path this season--High A Salem and AA Portland.

Owens Age 21-@ AA--1.20 ERA-2-0 Rec., 15 Inn, 6 BB, 29 K's, OBA---.148 Small Sample, Yes.

Cecchini Age 22-@ AA-51 G, 187 AB, .305 BA/.418 OBP/.418 Slg/ 830 OPS

last 10 G AA--                                    .333 BA/ .457 OBP/.389 Slg/.845 OPS

Combined A and AA     114 G, 401 AB, .329 BA/.446 OBP/.484 Slg/.929 OPS

May be worth a Sept call-up as Portland, short of a miracle, won't make the playoffs. If the PawSox make the playoffs these two may get promoted along with Keith Couch who is 10-3 @ AA.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

[QUOTE]Trout played 40 games in 2011, batted .220. Then you look at his stats in the Minors, and he had a .342 avg. in 4 seasons, just a matter of time for him.
    Play Bogaerts at his best Position to succeed, keep it simple.
    We face 4 Righties, right off the bat. This is strange, to tell you truth.

The minor league lines for Xander Bogaerts and Mike Trout:

XB 1623 PA, .296/.373/.489/.862

MT 1312 PA, .342/.425/.516/.941

At the time of his MLB call-up, Trout was a year younger than Bogaerts is now.

The minor league line of Brad Miller, another shortstop called up this year:

BM 999 PA, .334/.409/.516/.925

Miller played college baseball and is three years older than Bogaerts. Miller's MLB line to date:

44 G, 194 PA, .249/.314/.424/.738, OPS+ 111

I understand the excitement, but Red Sox fans should temper their expectations.

[/QUOTE]

Manny Machado 928 PA, .263/.344/.432/.776

Bryce Harper 550 PA, .290/.385/.489/.874

Nolan Arenado 1856 PA, .299/.345/.473/.818

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Yeah but where will he play? Middlebrooks has been hitting really well, are they gonna pull the rug out from under him, or play Bogaerts at SS against lefties in place of Drew? 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

Very good news, pls consider that what Sox need more is a Bat after Papi... where to play him?... at short against lefties or at third and move Midlbrks to First... also Will can play second if Peddy needs a rest...it is a Billy Goodman situation from  way back then...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

Good time to bring him up, the biggest reason being the Sox go on the road.  It gives him a chance to get his feet wet away from Fenway.  He would have been up in a couple weeks anyway, and if he pans out, he is eligible for the postseason if the Sox get there.  Also, with the next 6 under NL rules, it makes sense to have a better bat than Holt's on the bench.

Drew's trouble with lefties is well documented; I can see Bogaerts being used against them with Drew as a late inning defensive replacement in those games. 

The only real issue is what do they do if something happens tp Pedroia during a game?  Would they use Bogaerts at second or does Drew move over for a few innings? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaysofYaz. Show DaysofYaz's posts

I thought I read one of the sports writers reported that WMB has been getting some work at first base?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

In response to Javi60's comment:

Very good news, pls consider that what Sox need more is a Bat after Papi... where to play him?... at short against lefties or at third and move Midlbrks to First... also Will can play second if Peddy needs a rest...it is a Billy Goodman situation from  way back then...

Pedi isn't going to get a rest at least until the rosters expand and they can bring back Holt.  I would suppose in an emergency, you might see Drew slide over for a few innings, to avoid having too many players playing out of position.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

In response to DaysofYaz's comment:

I thought I read one of the sports writers reported that WMB has been getting some work at first base?

He might be, but they really have to be careful playing too many players out of position in the middle of a pennant race.  Bogaerts has a handful of games at 3rd.  Middlebrooks may have played some first, not sure of that.

Every position has certain things that have to become instinctual, and first base is no exception.  While it is the easiest position to play in the field, things like cutoff positioning, tossing to the pitcher,  throws to second (and when to make them) need to be able to be accomplished without thinking about them, and that takes time.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Pedroia is an issue yes---the Sox have 6 days off the rest of the season; plenty of rest time. If Pedroia gets hurt --with the shifts they have been working all seson, Drew has probably played close to a full game in the 2 B hole. Plus he's an  infielder--we all know the arguments; it's probably a non-issue. If Nap is DL'd they will bring Holt back. In fact he may travel with the team out west if they DL him today or tomorrow.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

.284 hitting Lavarnway down. .185 hitting Ross up. Another head scratcher. Let's hope Bogaerts can produce right off the bat.  Why wasn't Middlebrooks playing some first base at Pawtucket? Where was the foresight ? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaysofYaz. Show DaysofYaz's posts

It was reported by Nick Cafardo prior to the game yesterday.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I am looking forward to seeing Xander but it was a wierd time to make the callup.....6 games on the road in NL parks....Papi probably going to play 1b in 4 of them....with having to pinch hit for pitchers and the rotation thin as it is, we probably had more need for Bullpen help. facing 3 righties in SF....another in Nolasco and then 2 lefties in Ryu and Capuano.....so I would have thought they would have waited at least until the Dodger series.

However since he is here, he needs to play....which means Drew is sitting versus the lefties...and maybe tonight versus Lincecum....Middlebrooks will get one day off versus one of the Righties....He will probably sit himself at least once versus a Righty..probably tomorrow.....and then maybe when they sit Papi they give Middlebrooks a shot at 1B. With Victorino having to hit RH versus Righties, they may also sit him one of these games and play Nava in RF and Carp in Left( Ells better be prepared to cover alot of ground).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to illinoisredsox's comment:

[QUOTE]

He might be, but they really have to be careful playing too many players out of position in the middle of a pennant race.  Bogaerts has a handful of games at 3rd.  Middlebrooks may have played some first, not sure of that.

Every position has certain things that have to become instinctual, and first base is no exception.  While it is the easiest position to play in the field, things like cutoff positioning, tossing to the pitcher,  throws to second (and when to make them) need to be able to be accomplished without thinking about them, and that takes time.

[/QUOTE]

Footwork can be tough at first base. And btw, since when can WM play second base? Someone posted that earlier, and thats a new one on me. This isnt a mens softball league: "hey, can you take second tonight?" "Sure man, whatever works."

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Footwork can be tough at first base. And btw, since when can WM play second base? Someone posted that earlier, and thats a new one on me. This isnt a mens softball league: "hey, can you take second tonight?" "Sure man, whatever works."

[/QUOTE]

first base is the easiest position to play defensively IMO. these guys are fantastic athletes and should be able to play first base with minimal adjustment time. Especially being an infielder as it is.... if papi and fielder can adequately field their position then WMB or Xander should be able to do it without any experience. people vastly overstate the difficulty of playing first base... the only easier position to defend is DH..

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

Yeah, I completely forgot about footwork, which is very important at 1B.

I agree with you on the Middlebrooks at 2nd thing.  So far as I know, the only time he has set foot in anything near the 2nd base position is when the Sox have put one of those shifts on. 

People seem to think major league players can just change posoitions at the drop of a hat.  It's not that easy.  I'm old enough to remember the year Yaz volunteered to play third base in a pinch.  Captain Carl was a gold glove left fielder and a pretty good first sacker; as a 3rd basemen he made Butch Hobson look like a gold glover.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

first base is the easiest position to play defensively IMO. these guys are fantastic athletes and should be able to play first base with minimal adjustment time. Especially being an infielder as it is.... if papi and fielder can adequately field their position then WMB or Xander should be able to do it without any experience. people vastly overstate the difficulty of playing first base... the only easier position to defend is DH..

Papi and Fielder can play it adequately because they played it for years; you don't lose the instincts.  It's not the most difficult position to learn, I agree.  But in Bogaert's case, the last thing you need to do is try to have him figure out a new position while adjusting to major league pitching in the middle of a pennant race.  Heck, we saw Overbay (another guy who has played the position for years) make 2 bad decisions on one play Saturday. 

Sections
Shortcuts