Xander Bogaerts promoted

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Xander Bogaerts promoted

In response to illinoisredsox's comment:

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

In response to DaysofYaz's comment:

I thought I read one of the sports writers reported that WMB has been getting some work at first base?

He might be, but they really have to be careful playing too many players out of position in the middle of a pennant race.  Bogaerts has a handful of games at 3rd.  Middlebrooks may have played some first, not sure of that.

Every position has certain things that have to become instinctual, and first base is no exception.  While it is the easiest position to play in the field, things like cutoff positioning, tossing to the pitcher,  throws to second (and when to make them) need to be able to be accomplished without thinking about them, and that takes time.

Footwork can be tough at first base. And btw, since when can WM play second base? Someone posted that earlier, and thats a new one on me. This isnt a mens softball league: "hey, can you take second tonight?" "Sure man, whatever works."

first base is the easiest position to play defensively IMO. these guys are fantastic athletes and should be able to play first base with minimal adjustment time. Especially being an infielder as it is.... if papi and fielder can adequately field their position then WMB or Xander should be able to do it without any experience. people vastly overstate the difficulty of playing first base... the only easier position to defend is DH..

Papi and Fielder can play it adequately because they played it for years; you don't lose the instincts.  It's not the most difficult position to learn, I agree.  But in Bogaert's case, the last thing you need to do is try to have him figure out a new position while adjusting to major league pitching in the middle of a pennant race.  Heck, we saw Overbay (another guy who has played the position for years) make 2 bad decisions on one play Saturday. 

you make a point. although out of the two (XB and WMB) i would stick Middy at first and Xander @ 3rd where he has logged SOME innings defensively. Just while Naps is out anyway. Middy is hitting too well at this point to sit him IMO and i definitely want to see Xander get some time. Otherwise why even bring him up? shuffling around our infield a bit could allow us to have our best hitters in the lineup as well as giving Xander a shot. Of course, they could sit Drew for a bit, play XB @ SS, leave Middy @ 3B and play Carp/Nava at first base. Which also isn't a bad alternative.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I want Bogaerts to excel.  Really.  But there are a bunch of OTFB contributors who see him as the second coming, the savior of civilization as we know it.

Meanwhile, almost no one was saying beforehand, "boy, we really need Middelbrooks back up here.". With absolutely no fanfare his OPS so far is over 1.200, very small sample of course.

No one wanted Middelbrooks, everyone wanted Bogaerts.  Interesting.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Drew is a machine... he is the reason we are in 1st. Honestlyn though our weak spots are LF and 1B. You cannot win with platoons at more than one position.

LF has not even been close to our biggest offensive weakness this year.

9) 3B  .678

8) RF  .727

7) SS  .746 (actually not bad for the SS position, but Iggy's numbers helped)

6) LF  .763 (Fangraph's has us placed 4th in MLB at LF OPS.)

5)  C  .769 (very good for this position)

4) 2B  .770

3) CF   .775

2) 1B  .882

1) DH  .972

If you take away JBJ's .438 OPS in LF this year, our LF combination of Nava, Gomes and Carp would be closet o our 3rd best hitting position. If Gomes could get to his norm vs LHPs, a platoon of Nava/Gomes could make LF one of the best producing left fields in MLB.

In my opinion, our biggest offesnive weaknesses are:

1) 3B

2) SS vs LHPs

3) C vs LHPs (maybe Ross might help)

4) RF (our #2 hitter has only a .330 OBP.)

5) 1B (Napoli is slumping badly.)

6) Our number 3 slot in the line-up is .002 points away from the worst SLG% slot on the team at .394. (Our #9 slot is at .393.)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Moonslav, I have to say it again.  You do a great job with stats.  However, I have to remind you that even though five of our total of nine positions are weak or unsat, somehow the Sox have a good team OPS and score a lot of runs.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Moonslav, I have to say it again.  You do a great job with stats.  However, I have to remind you that even though five of our total of nine positions are weak or unsat, somehow the Sox have a good team OPS and score a lot of runs.  

Agreed. In general, our offense has not been the reason we lose games.

That does not mean we do not have areas of need of improvement, but right now, we need some top quality starts.

Our offense is trending downwards at a number of positions, but my point in my repsonse to Burrito's post, was not that it is not in LF. A Nava/Gome platoon is very promising going forward. I can see not wanting any more platoons, but when Salty and Drew are so bad vs LHPs, it's better to look for better production via a platoon.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Drew is hitting over .820 OPS against righties and it won't make sense to take him out tonight and start Boggy.  Ortiz will be playing the 1B and solid hitting Middy will play the 3B.  The only way Boggy starts tonight against Timmy, IMO, is rest Pedey (minor injury) and start Drew at 2B, Boggy at SS.  

Ells (CF) - Vic (RF) - Drew (2B) - Ortiz (1B) - Nava (LF) - Boggy (SS) - Salty (C) - Middy (3B) - Lester (P)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

I want Bogaerts to excel.  Really.  But there are a bunch of OTFB contributors who see him as the second coming, the savior of civilization as we know it.

Meanwhile, almost no one was saying beforehand, "boy, we really need Middelbrooks back up here.". With absolutely no fanfare his OPS so far is over 1.200, very small sample of course.

No one wanted Middelbrooks, everyone wanted Bogaerts.  Interesting.

There was a lot of clammoring for either or both of Bogaerts and Middlebrooks during the brief and forgettable Holt/Snyder era.

(Here are some of the threads I was able to locate in a very brief search...

http://www.boston.com/community/forums/sports/red-sox/on-the-front-burner/holt-and-snyder-or-middlebrooks-and-boegarts/100/6771046

http://www.boston.com/community/forums/sports/red-sox/on-the-front-burner/bring-up-both-bogaerts-and-middlebrooks/100/6770434

http://www.boston.com/community/forums/sports/red-sox/on-the-front-burner/is-snyder-holt-platoon-that-good/100/6766800 )

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

3B might not be an offensive weakness anymore. Short sample of course, but hopefully Middlebrooks is reverting to the form he showed last year.

Here's his iimprovement. The first line is his June numbers, the second his August.

31 PA, 29 AB, 1 R,  4 H, 1 2B, 1 HR, 4 RBI, 2 BB, 6 K, .138 BA, .194 OBP, .276 SLG, .469 OPS 

31 PA, 26 AB, 4 R, 12 H, 3 2B, 1 HR, 4 RBI, 4 BB, 6 K, .462 BA, .548 OBP, .692 SLG, 1.241 OPS

It's too soon to move him from eighth or ninth, but hopefully by sometime in September, he might show enough to move up closer to the middle of the lineup.

As for Bogearts, it will be interesting to see how they use him. Middlebrooks is too hot right not to sit. Drew is batting .317 in August and actually had some good games against lefties. Overall this year, Drew hasn't been good against lefties, so of course that's an obvious place to play Bogearts.

I don't think Bogearts will be an upgrade defensively over Drew -- might even be a drop off -- so Bogearts needs to hit to have playing time. Bogearts might give the Sox a boost with his bat against lefties, but quietly, it might be Middlebrooks giving that boost.

Hopefully, both will produce.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i was wondering too where boegarts will play. If napoli gets placed on the DL then middlebrooks could shift to 1B which should not be a problem given that he plays 3rd which is much more difficult. Then boegarts would 3B with drew staying at short. Not sure what will happen in this series against san fran, im sure ortiz will play a few games at first.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Trout played 40 games in 2011, batted .220. Then you look at his stats in the Minors, and he had a .342 avg. in 4 seasons, just a matter of time for him.
    Play Bogaerts at his best Position to succeed, keep it simple.
    We face 4 Righties, right off the bat. This is strange, to tell you truth.

The minor league lines for Xander Bogaerts and Mike Trout:

XB 1623 PA, .296/.373/.489/.862

MT 1312 PA, .342/.425/.516/.941

At the time of his MLB call-up, Trout was a year younger than Bogaerts is now.

The minor league line of Brad Miller, another shortstop called up this year:

BM 999 PA, .334/.409/.516/.925

Miller played college baseball and is three years older than Bogaerts. Miller's MLB line to date:

44 G, 194 PA, .249/.314/.424/.738, OPS+ 111

I understand the excitement, but Red Sox fans should temper their expectations.

I hope Sox fans dont expect greatness from this kid right off the bat. He has a very good future ahead of him but is still developing. He hasnt even tapped into his raw power yet. His glove is better than some here think. Ive seen him make some brilliant plays. Also have seen him mess a couple up too, but overall he has improved a lot the last 2 years defensively. Hes got great potential and has shown flashes of that, but like i said...Bogaerts is still developing and is only 20 years old.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

In response to DaysofYaz's comment:

I thought I read one of the sports writers reported that WMB has been getting some work at first base?

He might be, but they really have to be careful playing too many players out of position in the middle of a pennant race.  Bogaerts has a handful of games at 3rd.  Middlebrooks may have played some first, not sure of that.

Every position has certain things that have to become instinctual, and first base is no exception.  While it is the easiest position to play in the field, things like cutoff positioning, tossing to the pitcher,  throws to second (and when to make them) need to be able to be accomplished without thinking about them, and that takes time.

Footwork can be tough at first base. And btw, since when can WM play second base? Someone posted that earlier, and thats a new one on me. This isnt a mens softball league: "hey, can you take second tonight?" "Sure man, whatever works."

first base is the easiest position to play defensively IMO. these guys are fantastic athletes and should be able to play first base with minimal adjustment time. Especially being an infielder as it is.... if papi and fielder can adequately field their position then WMB or Xander should be able to do it without any experience. people vastly overstate the difficulty of playing first base... the only easier position to defend is DH..

There are many different positioning and duties of a 1bman than that of a 3bman. It takes time to learn them as well as the footwork. Its not as easy as you may think mef. They can be atheletic and all, but that doesnt make a difference. It take time to adjust when youve never played that position in your life.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

3B might not be an offensive weakness anymore. Short sample of course, but hopefully Middlebrooks is reverting to the form he showed last year.

Here's his iimprovement. The first line is his June numbers, the second his August.

31 PA, 29 AB, 1 R,  4 H, 1 2B, 1 HR, 4 RBI, 2 BB, 6 K, .138 BA, .194 OBP, .276 SLG, .469 OPS 

31 PA, 26 AB, 4 R, 12 H, 3 2B, 1 HR, 4 RBI, 4 BB, 6 K, .462 BA, .548 OBP, .692 SLG, 1.241 OPS

It's too soon to move him from eighth or ninth, but hopefully by sometime in September, he might show enough to move up closer to the middle of the lineup.

As for Bogearts, it will be interesting to see how they use him. Middlebrooks is too hot right not to sit. Drew is batting .317 in August and actually had some good games against lefties. Overall this year, Drew hasn't been good against lefties, so of course that's an obvious place to play Bogearts.

I don't think Bogearts will be an upgrade defensively over Drew -- might even be a drop off -- so Bogearts needs to hit to have playing time. Bogearts might give the Sox a boost with his bat against lefties, but quietly, it might be Middlebrooks giving that boost.

Hopefully, both will produce.

Although I am not big on small sample sizes, Middy is doing fine and needs to stay in the line-up.

Drew is pretty hot too, so it might be hard to find room for Boggy to play a lot.

Sure wish we had given Middy more reps at 1B and Boggy at 3B while they were at AAA (like I suggested last year).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I hope Sox fans dont expect greatness from this kid right off the bat. He has a very good future ahead of him but is still developing. He hasnt even tapped into his raw power yet. His glove is better than some here think. Ive seen him make some brilliant plays. Also have seen him mess a couple up too, but overall he has improved a lot the last 2 years defensively. Hes got great potential and has shown flashes of that, but like i said...Bogaerts is still developing and is only 20 years old.

Agreed. Look at how fast many here jumped off the JBJ bandwagon. Conversely, look how many jumped off the Middy bandwagon, and off-oj-off the Iggy bandwagon. These guys are kids: they need adjustment time. Intitial production should not be judged too definitively- good or bad.

Sox4ever

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Trout played 40 games in 2011, batted .220. Then you look at his stats in the Minors, and he had a .342 avg. in 4 seasons, just a matter of time for him.
    Play Bogaerts at his best Position to succeed, keep it simple.
    We face 4 Righties, right off the bat. This is strange, to tell you truth.

The minor league lines for Xander Bogaerts and Mike Trout:

XB 1623 PA, .296/.373/.489/.862

MT 1312 PA, .342/.425/.516/.941

At the time of his MLB call-up, Trout was a year younger than Bogaerts is now.

The minor league line of Brad Miller, another shortstop called up this year:

BM 999 PA, .334/.409/.516/.925

Miller played college baseball and is three years older than Bogaerts. Miller's MLB line to date:

44 G, 194 PA, .249/.314/.424/.738, OPS+ 111

I understand the excitement, but Red Sox fans should temper their expectations.

Trout is the 2nd best offensive player in baseball and an OF. And Brad Miller had nearly half of those AB's in the launching pad known as High Desert and was 3 years older. Bogaerts did his numbers in average to very bad hitting environments.

The best comparison I think is Machado on offense 928 PA, .263/.344/.432/.776. Bogaerts has a big advantage. They had similar age, position, and parks too. Boagearts could struggle and probably will not be very good to start, but not sure those two guys were good examples or comparisons.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

I think they're bringing him up so that he will eligible for the postseason roster.

If they call him up Sept 1st when rosters expand then they can't bring him to the playoffs.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

I think they're bringing him up so that he will eligible for the postseason roster.

If they call him up Sept 1st when rosters expand then they can't bring him to the playoffs.

No, they can add him after Sept 1st with some DL moves.

They could have also waited until August 31st. They clearly felt now was the time for different reasons.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

He's up so start him at SS his natural position and he's not up to sit on the bench. Good bye Drew

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jader's comment:

He's up so start him at SS his natural position and he's not up to sit on the bench. Good bye Drew

You do know Drew is our 3rd hottest hitter over the last 28 days, right? (with 50+ PAs)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

You do know Drew is our 3rd hottest hitter over the last 28 days, right? (with 50+ PAs)

I doubt Jader knows much about the RS at all.  In addition to being hot over the last month, he's done very well against righties.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

And to add about Drew, I heard he's been hitting .265 (respectable) recently against LHP, although I don't know how far back it goes. But it does answer the question about why he has been in the lineup against lefties recently -- because he's been hitting.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I doubt Jader knows much about the RS at all.  In addition to being hot over the last month, he's done very well against righties.

Yes indeed.

vs RHPs

Papi  1.152

Carp    .961 (166 PAs)

Ells      .865

Nava   .864

Salty   .855

Drew  .827

Gomes .817 (130 PAs)

Naps    .781

Pedey  .718

Vict     .713

Midd   .656 (168 PAs)

FYI vs LHPs:

Snyder  .964  (28 PAs)

Pedey   .886 

Vict       .777

Midd     .769

Naps    .761

Papi     .736

Ross    .728 (43 PAs)

Carp    .726 (24 PAs)

Gomes .721

Lava    .719 (27 PAs)

Ells      .631

Salty    .628

Drew   .593

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

Trout is the 2nd best offensive player in baseball and an OF. And Brad Miller had nearly half of those AB's in the launching pad known as High Desert and was 3 years older. Bogaerts did his numbers in average to very bad hitting environments.

Brad Miller's numbers in the hitter-friendly California League were not significantly different from those he posted in leagues less friendly to hitters, including the pitcher-friendly Midwest and Southern leagues:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=miller005bra

I concede, as I mentioned in my original post, than Miller is three years older than Xander Bogaerts.

Sections
Shortcuts