Xander Bogaerts without a HR yet

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Xander Bogaerts without a HR yet

Anybody concerned?  His best tool which is his power is yet to be blossomed in higher level in professional career.  He's hitting but he's not hitting for power.  Reaching almost 100 ABs playing for Portland he's yet to hit a HR and has 6 extra bases hits so far.  I believe he got his prospect ranking for his raw power and swing.  can anybody explain his lack of power this season?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Re: Xander Bogaerts without a HR yet

No, he brought his average up after very slow start. Hitting .301 last I checked.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

He's 20 years old....he has an OBP of .370 and has started to hit the ball hard.  He's known as a line drive hitter.  He comes to the plate with a "lets get a hit mentality"....not a 'let me smash the ball over the fence' mentality like Rob Deer back in the day.  He's a 'hitter' first....HR's will come.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

He's 20 years old....he has an OBP of .370 and has started to hit the ball hard.  He's known as a line drive hitter.  He comes to the plate with a "lets get a hit mentality"....not a 'let me smash the ball over the fence' mentality like Rob Deer back in the day.  He's a 'hitter' first....HR's will come.

I agree, give me that OBP

the only problem I C is the OP

just fed frank from glous

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

OBP on base percentage, so your saying a walk is as good as a hit? Intresting.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

There is an article on him and there is little concern and say weather maybe a factor in HR output

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

OBP on base percentage, so your saying a walk is a good as a hit? Intresting.

That depends on whether there's someone on base, but a walk is aways better than an out.

Why don't some people understand that an out is 1/3 of an inning and the longer you can avoid an out by any means the better off the team is going to be?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

The power will come, he's a 20 year old at double A that has just started to hit.  Everyone assumed he would hit because he performed ok in Portland last year.  Remember his strike out rate and walk rates looked bad in Portland, and while the power was there most of the better pitchers get promoted to the majors or triple A by the end of the year.

I think we all expected Bogaerts to go on a tear because he showed power off the bat last year and failed to realize that he still may have some growth at the level.  We have a tendency to go super homerish on a player every time the perform well e.g. Jackie Bradly Jr. 

I suspect he's starting to make the adjustments now, and when things start to heat up the power will come.  Even with his slow start, I'd be willing to bet he hits at least 20 this year. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

not me

just that when I  C a high OBP

I think the guy has a good idea / handle on what's going on

3 triples in 18 games shows enough power 4 now

as 2 S5's point

I often felt a HR was a rally killer

never felt that way about a walk

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Depends when the hit happens and type of hit. Inf single or  ground ball to OF is the same as a walk To start off an inning. Also could be more important if you get a W on 15 pitch AB. 

It all depends 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Im not hating walks, for sure. Walks  are great when you only dont have Pitches to hit. Developing a good eye is very important, knowing the Strike Zone, no doubt. But, I'm going with BA as more important, reason is you'll drive in more runs, hitting the ball than walks.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Im not hating walks, for sure. Walks  are great when you only dont have Pitches to hit. Developing a good eye is very important, knowing the Strike Zone, no doubt. But, I'm going with BA as more important, reason is you'll drive in more runs, hitting the ball than walks.

He's also batting .301......  Only 9 walks.  25 hits in 83 AB's.......

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Not here to argue, just discuss. What would be more important in evaluating, a .330 BA, or a .393 OBP? Curious.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Not here to argue, just discuss. What would be more important in evaluating, a .330 BA, or a .393 OBP? Curious.

don't we need to know both stats 4 each player

but I'll take my chances with a 393 OBP

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Same player sorry. Anyway that was Miguel Cabrera last year, he walked only 66 times. The amazing thing he struck out only 98 times. Salty will do that by July haha.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

On the other hand, Iggy has three home runs. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

On the other hand, Iggy has three home runs. 

4 hit one last night.

Sorry your right, my bad.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I just want him to hit the ball hard.  Even though Ortiz already has 2 dingers, what has impressed me the most is how hard he is hitting the ball to all fields.  I kind of wish Ted Williams was still around and able to comment on what Ortiz is doing to those big shifts that I think were started by Lou Boudreau to minimize Williams great hitting ability.  Long after the Williams shift became old hat, he was able to hit .388 for a season at age 38. 

Same goes for all the Sox players, including those in the minors.  Middlebrooks is starting to hit the ball hard again, but Ellsbury is not (even though he is still 2d on the team in hits).  Drew now has two triples because he laced two shots down the right field line (really, not that close to the line) when the opposition was playing away from the line. 

But, like the man said, the toughest skill in professional sports is hitting a round ball with a round bat-- hard. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

I hear you....no arguement here at all....actually it's a great topic!  I really think that both go hand in hand.  If somebody has a high average odds are that also means they are patient at the plate and knows which pitches they want to swing at.  When they don't see it they simply don't swing.  A lot of times this also results in a bunch of walks and increases the OBP.  I think the two most patient hitters on the Sox are Pedroia and Ortiz.  They know the pitch that they want and when they see it they drive it.  They usually hover around a .300AVG and a .400 OBP.  In the case of WMB and Salty....they don't have the same discipline and you see lower averages with both.  Of course this isn't ALWAYS the case.....but I think it is the case way more often than not.

As for Cabrera....was that a crazy good season or what?!?!  I'm actually shocked that it did not get the attention that it should have.  It was a season for the ages!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

Not nearly enough information.  If the lower average is all singles, maybe .393.

For purposes of this discussion, my concern is the K/W.  But like someone else mentioned, his OPS over the past ten games is 1.082.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

Not nearly enough information.  If the lower average is all singles, maybe .393.

For purposes of this discussion, my concern is the K/W.  But like someone else mentioned, his OPS over the past ten games is 1.082.

Thw K/BB has got slightly better 24/9. Needs more work on that, but hes still adjusting to the advanced pitching at AA. He has 6 XBH and 19 singles. Not sure about if they were line drives or ground ball singles.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Sean Coyle is leading the Carolina league in HR and all sox prospects with 7. His OPS is like 1.107.

Who is Bogaerts?

Garin Cechinni is hitting .392

Who's that Bogaerts kid again?

JK

Life is very good on the Redsox farm this year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Sean Coyle is leading the Carolina league in HR and all sox prospects with 7. His OPS is like 1.107.

Who is Bogaerts?

Garin Cechinni is hitting .392

Who's that Bogaerts kid again?

JK

Life is very good on the Redsox farm this year.

Im interested to see how Cecchini will handle AA. He seems to have A-Ball handled pretty good. He should get promoted at some poiunt this year. Coyle might have a chance if he keeps tearing it up in Salem too.

Problem is Meneses and Almanzar are tearing it up in portland, so until they get promoted, those 2 will stay put. I dont think it will be a big deal to replace Holt and Sutton with Almanzar and meneses at AAA.

Good to see all our IF players producing so far this year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

Anybody concerned?  His best tool which is his power is yet to be blossomed in higher level in professional career.  He's hitting but he's not hitting for power.  Reaching almost 100 ABs playing for Portland he's yet to hit a HR and has 6 extra bases hits so far.  I believe he got his prospect ranking for his raw power and swing.  can anybody explain his lack of power this season?

Not concerned at all. He played in the WBC, he's got 3 2B and 3 3B, he's hitting over .300 and his slugging average is at least over .400.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Bogaerts just hit his first HR today and he's 2 for 2 right now. 

Ranaudo again has strong start 5.1 IP and allowed 1 run via HR.