Xander Bogaerts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Xander Bogaerts

I went to the Salem Red Sox gm the other night. While there I got a chance to watch Xander. First time I've seen him play, on the field he looks like the real deal. He passes the eye test, looks like a really solid young player. He's bigger than I thought he'd be.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: Xander Bogaerts

Thanks for the observation on the "X" man. We are hoping , sooner rather than later, we will see him in Portland but the season is passing quickly. 

His former teammate, Jackie Bradley, Jr., has dipped below .300, but is showing some decent power of late. I am hoping the Sox bypass the next step, the PawSox, and make him a Sept. callup to play some CF. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

This season the people around the team have started identifying him as the SS of the future, not Iglesias.

I'd like an infusion of young talent next season. I don't mind taking an incremental step back from this mess to let these kids sort it out a little and see what we have going forward.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Some scouts also think he is big for SS, and at 19 may out grow the position.  A switch to 3rd or LF may be in the cards. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I agree ma6drag---it seems to me, back maybe 10 years ago, the AA franchise was the next step to the majors and AAA was where more seasoned players went  to rehab and play back into shape. I think that window only lasted a couple of years. Perhaps the Pap, Pedroia and Youk time. The next step from Portland was Fenway. 

The "X" man will be in Portland next year if they don't give him a shot with the big team. The same with JBJ--he's played college ball, he's made his mark through the minors--he's ready for a cup of coffee as the Sox FreeFall continues.

You've got to move some of the deadwood off the 40 man roster to protect some young guys from the Rule 5. There's always something to do. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

In Response to Re: Xander Bogaerts:
    [QUOTE]Some scouts also think he is big for SS, and at 19 may out grow the position.  A switch to 3rd or LF may be in the cards. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

Scouts are kinda funny....
    Cal Ripken JR
    6'4"
    225lbs
    played ss for 16 years beore switching to 3B

Xander Bogaets
    6'3"
    175lbs

So if he grows another inch and adds 50 lbs he would be the same size as Ripken was. Makes one wonder where they get these thoughts from.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Ripken is on the larger side of SSs ever though, that's not totally fair. Ripken was HUGE for a SS when he came into the bigs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Xander could stay at SS and I don't really know. But the consensus from scouts is he moves off the position. With what his bat is projected to be does anyone really care where he plays???

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Xander Bogaerts:
    [QUOTE]I went to the Salem Red Sox gm the other night. While there I got a chance to watch Xander. First time I've seen him play, on the field he looks like the real deal. He passes the eye test, looks like a really solid young player. He's bigger than I thought he'd be.
    Posted by stan17[/QUOTE]Under the Red $ox way, we might see this guy 5 years from now !!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

[QUOTE]I see Bogaerts play all the time. He's never going to be a successful everday career MLB SS, not that the incompetent Red Sox middle management won't try the latest hitting player put at SS attempt.
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]

Can you explain why?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Xander Bogaerts : Can you explain why?
    Posted by Promise4you2[/QUOTE]

He always says empty statements like this...whether about Sox players or whoever...No explanation, just empty words...
    Ive never seen the kid play personally, but from the video and what scouts say he still needs to get his footwork better...Properly positioning himself for grounders, double plays and such and better pitch recognition...But at 19, hes ahead of the curve for sure...If he does get pretty big, a move to LF would not be a bad idea...Still, hes a couple years away...Think 2014...But every scout loves this kid...Too bad we gave his brother away to complete the Theo deal...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Xander Bogaerts : He always says empty statements like this...whether about Sox players or whoever...No explanation, just empty words... Ive never seen the kid play personally, but from the video and what scouts say he still needs to get his footwork better...Properly positioning himself for grounders, double plays and such and better pitch recognition...But at 19, hes ahead of the curve for sure...If he does get pretty big, a move to LF would not be a bad idea...Still, hes a couple years away...Think 2014...But every scout loves this kid...Too bad we gave his brother away to complete the Theo deal...
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

Thanks Southpaw. My reason for asking him was that I know all his statements are empty. You make excellant points, he is 19, he needs to work on his footwork and learn to play the position better. It is said he is a good fielder and has a cannon for an arm. Why write him off at shortstop so soon. Seems that they did that to the great OZ as well. So be it, im just a fan not a scout!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Xander Bogaerts : Thanks Southpaw. My reason for asking him was that I know all his statements are empty. You make excellant points, he is 19, he needs to work on his footwork and learn to play the position better. It is said he is a good fielder and has a cannon for an arm. Why write him off at shortstop so soon. Seems that they did that to the great OZ as well. So be it, im just a fan not a scout!

Exactly Promise...were not on the field everyday with these kids...As the "X Man" fills out and develops a bit, us fans should have a better idea where he will play...My guess is either SS or LF...3b would belong WMB for the next 6 years I would think...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I think he will be moved to left field. He is 19 , still developing. Seems to have good power potential. I have not seen him play , but those 17 errors at shortstop kind of jump out at you.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Xander Bogaerts : Scouts are kinda funny.... Cal Ripken JR 6'4" 225lbs played ss for 16 years beore switching to 3B Xander Bogaets 6'3" 175lbs So if he grows another inch and adds 50 lbs he would be the same size as Ripken was. Makes one wonder where they get these thoughts from.

Wasn't A-Rod a pretty decent SS?      6'3", 225

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

It's not that unusual for SS prospect to have 17 errors at this point in the season, espcially a 19 year old SS prospect in full season ball. The issue is range more than errors and so far he is holding his own. He is about average speed so if he gains weight range could be an issue. Tulowitski is large also though right. Arod was large. Sometimes big guys stick at SS and when they do they are often studs.

We sometimes forget how age advanced he is. Many scouts think of him as a Hanley Ramirez level prospect. His ISO last year was tremendous for an 18 year old in full season ball. On a chat line yesterday on fangraphs ( I think ) an analyst said Bogaerts was a better prospect than Sano, the top international signing of just a few years ago. This kid is a tremendous prospect. Rated higher than Bradley and Barnes on baseball america. 

I don't care if he sticks at SS as long as he becomes the middle of the order bat he is projected to become. It seems to me though that he has a chance to stick at SS still. It would be an offensive SS though in all likelihood which is not always bad as long as his defense is acceptable. I like defensive SS a lot but if they put up Jim Rice type numbers I'm ok with it. This kid is projected to potentially put up tremendous numbers. 

He is still way down in A ball though and anything could happen still. From all reports though he is a hard working, positive young man.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Troy Tulowitski is 6'3". His size surely doesn't impede his great play.
    ARod was a horse at SS.
    Size is a lousy reason to reposition a player.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

So, how do you know about Bogaert's agility?
    How many times have you seen him, or are you just blowing smoke as usual, to make it seem like you actually know something??

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

As someone who thinks Carl Crawful is a five tool player, and Justin Upton is worth half the Sox roster, you have no credibility.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Xander Bogaerts : Wasn't A-Rod a pretty decent SS?      6'3", 225
    Posted by BOSOX1941[/QUOTE]

Yes Sir he was!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

[QUOTE]He doesn't have the agility to be a career MLB everyday SS. Red Sox middle management doesn't have a clue on what an everyday SS's job is. When they have a player who can do the job, they don't know it. Incompetent middle management. 
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]

How did your man Lugo work out? Man stick with a point, what will it be next year they need a pitcher that can hit 25 homers off the bench?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I figure it this way. Right now the Sox are loaded with SS prospects, including Bogaerts, Iglesias, Jose Vinicio, Tzu Wei Lin and Deven Marrerro. Of the lot it seems like Marrerro might have the best combination of bat and glove, although he's been mostly DHing for Lowell since he signed. Bogaerts is probably at least 3 years away, at which point Crawford might be tradeable as he would have just 3 years left on his deal. If Bogaerts bat develops as most assume it will, he likely winds up patrolling LF ala Williams, Yaz and Rice. He certainly has the arm for it. And I for one am getting a little tired of watching spaghetti-armed outfielders try and throw guys out.