Xander needs to go back to Pawtucket

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Xander needs to go back to Pawtucket

Already a K and a 2-run error today. He's Craig Breslow-spooked. And he needs to time to find his stroke without being another dagger in the Sox lineup. Time to go back down. Put Holt at 3b and let Drew/Herrera play SS. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: Xander needs to go back to Pawtucket

Xander's numbers now are nearly identical to his 18 games as a regular in 2013. That in itself is a red flag.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

We overestimated his talent based on the Sox winning the '13 WS with him as the regular 3b. He hit .296 in the postseason, but just .238 average and .261 OBP in the WS.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We overestimated his talent based on the Sox winning the '13 WS with him as the regular 3b. He hit .296 in the postseason, but just .238 average and .261 OBP in the WS.

[/QUOTE]

Not everyone overestimated his talent.  Not anyone who sat at McCoy and watched this make mistake after mistake defensively.  It is one thing coming up late August with a winning team with a great attitude and a limited number of plays coming at you.  Now that he is in a full season on a losing team, I think we have seen the real Xander....hopefully not.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Well, clearly, he's shown very little as MLB regular. The slump has gotten to be epic and it's a mistake to continue to shake his confidence by playing him every day.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]

But he was lucky not to get too many balls toward to him during the post season.  Maybe time to send him down to AAA and let him play as a LF.  None of the left side positions suit for him.  Not sure how he got thru all these years moving up from one level to the next level.  Maybe it is easier to play SS in the minor league than at the major league level.  

I wouldnt trade him now.  He is only 21 years old, and need to put some weights as well to put some muscle to increase his power.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

That's my point too, UConn...the kid is young enough that he can develop. Where and how he develops may be tied into his confidence level---which is shot thanks to the Sox.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

But he was lucky not to get too many balls toward to him during the post season.  Maybe time to send him down to AAA and let him play as a LF.  None of the left side positions suit for him.  Not sure how he got thru all these years moving up from one level to the next level.  Maybe it is easier to play SS in the minor league than at the major league level.  

I wouldnt trade him now.  He is only 21 years old, and need to put some weights as well to put some muscle to increase his power.  

[/QUOTE]

Uconn:  I said this year and you are the only other person I have seen say it as well.  Drew was like a magnate last year with an obscene range.  Xander did not have many balls come to his direction last year in his limited time up.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RigatoniT. Show RigatoniT's posts

we'll I would disagree with this idea until now... we should wave the white flag ASAP, send Xander down.... no point in bringing in Drew and making Xander stay up here while he struggles..... JBJR I am not so sure...... I suppose based on numbers he too would go down but at least he is a big defensive help...... waffles waffles....... okay send them both down.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RigatoniT. Show RigatoniT's posts

P.S.

I said in April, February, and last December that both rookies needed to play here and given until early July REGARDLESS of performance to play everyday.... so here we are after all this time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

On Drew's defense last year, that is a big reason why the Sox won the WS title. He was turning every DP with Pedey and he was making play after play with consistency. Totally agree about Stephen's influence last year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

[QUOTE]

On Drew's defense last year, that is a big reason why the Sox won the WS title. He was turning every DP with Pedey and he was making play after play with consistency. Totally agree about Stephen's influence last year.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, he was something to watch.

Boggie will go down when the fans over at third start yelling profanities at him, and they will if they aren't already.  It will get nasty over there and JF will be forced to take him out.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

He was hitting 300 a month ago. I don't think a bad month during a wasted season is going to change anyones mind on him. He is 21. He is learning.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Mike Trout was demoted in his first season and look how that worked. We might need to do the same.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to sycophant123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He was hitting 300 a month ago. I don't think a bad month during a wasted season is going to change anyones mind on him. He is 21. He is learning.

[/QUOTE]

Learning should be done in the minors, especially for an infielder who is going to see a lot of plays with certain pitchers.  If his bat was talking then the errors could be tolerated.  Even if he was hitting over .300, yesterday's error would still be the topic of the board.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Who's "we" that did all this overestimating?

He's a 21yo kid having one bad month.  Mike Schjmidt had a horrible sub-.200 second half his rookie year, and it was not indicative of anything now, was it?  and Schmidt wasn't 21.

Too many Sox fans keep calling for a house-cleaning, a blow-up, a rebuild, whatever.  Yet none of you can go from October to July without complaining about a World Series Draught bordering on 9 months now.  None of you can handle a rookie struggling for one month without calling for a demotion.  And you think you can handle a full-on rebuild that probably wouldn't produce a post-season appearance for the next 10 years?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

You are probably correct in your believing that X-Man needs to go back down to the Pawsox, but so does Betts and JBJ. I'm not hating because they all got some serious MLB experience and they all showed they have the tools to compete in the show , but right now they need some seasoning. With Carp, Middlebrooks and Torres about ready at AAA it wouldn't surprise me if all three were sent back to the minors for awhile. Bogey needs to learn how to hit a slider and if he's a SS he needs to work on his throwing and foot work at that position, the only question is can he beat out Marrero for SS playing time at AAA? Marrero's metrics defensively are off the charts and he's a steady eddy at the plate, hitting around .280 which is more than adequate for a defensive SS. Also I'm not so sure that Bogey isn't more suited for the OF, especially since Devers will fly through this system! I predict he will threaten whoever is holding down 3rd base by 2016, his projection offensively is off the charts good and he's already a good defender. The are blessed, they have more edge players than any other team! Edge players simply means guys on the cusp of beginning their MLB careers. They have no less than 5 starting pitchers who could get a call up from the minors at any time and their positional players that seem to be ready are starting to back up as far down in the system as Salem. Since this season hasn't exactly been a barn burner for the big league team I've been paying more attention to the little leaguers and all I can say is barring some sort of blockbuster trade where the Sox empty the upper levels for a guy like Stanton, that they are loaded in the minors for year to come! I'm really waiting for next years crop because they could almost redo their entire lineup with home grown talent! Swihart and Vasquez are the future at Catcher, 2nd base is loaded Betts, Coyle, and Rijo who could all come up from the minors at a moments notice! SS Marrero, Bogey are both ready! 3rd base Holt, WMB, Bogey and the kid Devers! the only position needing attention is the corner OF spots as they are lacking in power hitters who play the OF. I won't even start on the length of the pitching prospects because the number of guys in this system who are possibles are extensive! Ranaudo, Webster, RDLR, Wright, Owens, Stankiewicz and those are only the tip of the iceberg!!!! All I can say for those Red Sox fans who are suffering right now is keep the faith because all kinds of young kids are getting ready down on the farm...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Devers is going to be pushing for a MLB spot at 19 years old????

Where is the BOLD prediction thread when you need it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to steven11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Learning should be done in the minors, especially for an infielder who is going to see a lot of plays with certain pitchers.  If his bat was talking then the errors could be tolerated.  Even if he was hitting over .300, yesterday's error would still be the topic of the board.

[/QUOTE]

With the way this season is going there is no point in sending him down. I would rather have him challenged by facing ML pitching with ML expectations than sending him down to a place where he has already proven that he can excel. Bogaerts is just 21; I am not going to judge him just yet. He gets another season, maybe two before making a final judgement about his level of talent.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

sportsgenius: JBJ is showing progress where he is striking out less and hitting the ball more.  He has never had a long slump like Xander's.  Even when Xander was hitting his risp wasn't as good as JBJ's.   I think the window on sending JBJ back has closed but the biggest reason for not sending him is, no one plays center better.  There is a long line of people who can play third better than Xander.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

With the way this season is going there is no point in sending him down. I would rather have him challenged by facing ML pitching with ML expectations than sending him down to a place where he has already proven that he can excel. Bogaerts is just 21; I am not going to judge him just yet. He gets another season, maybe two before making a final judgement about his level of talent.

[/QUOTE]

Pumpsie:  I never disagree with you and if the boos did not happen, I would say you are right.  If you want to say he is only 21 then take into consideration that a 21 year old kid cannot do well with fenway fans taunting him.  Fenway may not be the park for him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pumpsie:  I never disagree with you and if the boos did not happen, I would say you are right.  If you want to say he is only 21 then take into consideration that a 21 year old kid cannot do well with fenway fans taunting him.  Fenway may not be the park for him.

[/QUOTE]

The boos are a drawback, no doubt. But they are also something he has to learn to handle. Hopefully the more senior players are teaching him to ignore them. Besides that, the boos IMO are offset by the need for more intense competition at the major league level that he needs as a challenge to make him a better player next year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] I was at his first GCL game this kid tore the cover off the ball. Yes it is only the rookie league! I've seen entire minor league teams I knew would have multiple players reach and excel in the big leagues. The Dodgers Jacksonville team was loaded when they had Billingsley,  Guzman, Russell Martin, and Loney! Kuo, and Broxton were on that team also. The dodgers used a method to bringing their young players along in those days they liked to keep as many of their young stars playing on the same team until they were all ready to graduate into the big leagues as players. By the way Devers is more advanced than most young players would be as he has already played a full year of minor league baseball in the Dominican Rookie League where he tore the cover off the ball also. The only way this kid isn't on the Big team by 19 or 20 at the latest is if he's injured along the way.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to SportsGenius1's comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I was at his first GCL game this kid tore the cover off the ball. Yes it is only the rookie league! I've seen entire minor league teams I knew would have multiple players reach and excel in the big leagues. The Dodgers Jacksonville team was loaded when they had Billingsley,  Guzman, Russell Martin, and Loney! Kuo, and Broxton were on that team also. The dodgers used a method to bringing their young players along in those days they liked to keep as many of their young stars playing on the same team until they were all ready to graduate into the big leagues as players. By the way Devers is more advanced than most young players would be as he has already played a full year of minor league baseball in the Dominican Rookie League where he tore the cover off the ball also. The only way this kid isn't on the Big team by 19 or 20 at the latest is if he's injured along the way.

[/QUOTE]

Just like Chavis was holding him down, huh???

Everything I have ever heard, NOBODY goes to GCL games.  They don't even have stands, they don't play in stadiums they play on practice fields.  They don't have ball boys/girls they have designated players who run after foul balls.  Typically, there are less fans at a GCL game than there are at a high school game.

If you are truly going to GCL games, then good for you, that is awesome.  However, only the most dedicated of prospect followers would take the time to go to a GCL game and if you had a clue you wouldn't be calling for a kid who is of highschool age to be in the majors by 19.

Seriously a 19 year old playing the big leagues is insanely rare, and if you are a prospect junkie, you'd also know that the long list of 1 million dollar babies who MASH it in the DSL and GCL is much much much much larger than the list of kids that actually make it to the big leagues.

I'm an avid follower of prospects, and probably like a good discussion about the farm more than almost anyone in here, but talking about a 17 year old who has 2 games in America and isn't even in A ball yet to be MLB ready in 2 years at 19 is beyond ridiculous.  It is wishful thinking at best.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

P.S. 28 games in the Dominican summer league against 16 and 17 year olds isn't exactly a "full year of minor league baseball"  you need to get your facts straight before making such an outrageous statement that Devers will be a MLB player by 19. 

That is in 2 years.

He still has Low A, High A, Double A, and Triple A.....and I've given him short season A, assuming he skips Lowell and goes straight to Greenville next year.  Even if he ends up being a phenom, it is completely irresponsible, ridiculous and unfair to suggest that he is a sure shot to be in the bigs by 19.