Yahoo sports report Jays targeting Papi

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

Yahoo sports report Jays targeting Papi

He hits well in Rogers Center       BUT...
    would they pay him  double what other DH'ers are getting like Sox do ?

Can't see the Jays  giving  him 2/22  or 3/30 million..
    can see Sox    going  2/24   with maybe club option on 3.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Yahoo sports report Jays targeting Papi

He was the best DH around this year by a pretty good margin.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

What a problem Papi is.  At his age his production could drop off the cliff at any time.  OTOH, he had one of the best years of his career in 2011. 

I'd be tempted to offer him a big one year contract with an incentive laden second year starting at about 75% of what MLB plays the average DH. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

This is surprising. Once again the Jays prove they are not a serious threat to win it all. Same mentality year in an year out, the last guy they need is Ortiz.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Please sign with them. Give us the 17th overall pick.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Love the guy but really I think we could do with/out his drama. He had a solid season but at some point u gotta move on.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Who are you going to get to replace a players who hit .309 with 29 HRs and 98 RBIs under the pressure of being in Boston?It's not like they're a dime a dozen.If you think Youk should DH,who's going to play 3rd,or DH if Youk goes down with an injury? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

The Jays are smart to put that out there even if they have no interest at all in signing a 36 year old slugger to a fat contract.  It behooves them to drive the pricetag up on Papi so the Sox balk and walk.  I am sure everyone in the Jays organization is completely sick and tired of seeing David lumber up to the plate at Rogers Centre 40 times a year against them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Problem for Bluejays is that does anyone want to live in Canada?  

I have not seen Bluejays being able to sign a big fat contract to any free agency except re-signing their own players such as Rios, Wells, etc!!

I just think Papi would turn the Bluejays's offer unless it is the best offer Papi ever had in his entire life!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

In Response to Re: Yahoo sports report Jays targeting Papi:
    [QUOTE]Problem for Bluejays is that does anyone want to live in Canada?   I have not seen Bluejays being able to sign a big fat contract to any free agency except re-signing their own players such as Rios, Wells, etc!! I just think Papi would turn the Bluejays's offer unless it is the best offer Papi ever had in his entire life!!
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE] molitor,morris,clemons,bj ryan,frank thomas,dave winfield etc.As soon as they become good they can sign anybody....clemons signed with the jays although he had a better offer with the yanks because he figured  they were gonna rebuild to their glory days.It depends on how good a team the free agents think you have and when the jays were winning world series everyone wanted to go there.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from chiefret. Show chiefret's posts

Time for Ortiz to move on! Plug Lavarnway in as the f/t DH, also give him some glove work at 1B, spell AGon who could DH, he was clearly burned-out at seasons end. Aviles can play 3B, Youk could DH and Lavarnway C to give Salty a break. Youkilis reminds me of a gimpy Mike Lowell and his f/t playing days may be over. Not unreasonable to expect this combo is equal or exceed Ortiz's 2011 stats plus $ to sign a FA or 2. I certainly hope the team gets younger for 2012.    

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

[QUOTE]Problem for Bluejays is that does anyone want to live in Canada?   I have not seen Bluejays being able to sign a big fat contract to any free agency except re-signing their own players such as Rios, Wells, etc!! I just think Papi would turn the Bluejays's offer unless it is the best offer Papi ever had in his entire life!!
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

Have you ever been to Toronto?  I'm guessing no.  It's nicer than a lot American cities, albeit colder, but Papi is there in the warm months so it doesn't matter.  It's not like the exchange rate is a prohibiting factor these days either.   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

I"m going to pat myself on the back and say I was out ahead on calling Toronto a potential landing place for Papi.  They have a number of good pieces under control for the next few years, an affordable up and coming pitching staff and some payroll coming off the books, so if there was a time for mid-payroll team like the Jays to make a move this might be it.

Papi is a draw at the gate and a Bautista/Ortiz heart of the order, with Lind, Escobar, Arencebia, around those two, you are looking at a very formidable line-up. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

What are you talking about?  Toronto is considered one of the most culturally diverse, progressive thinking, safest and livable cities in North America.  The Weather in the summer is pretty nice and it is not like Papi would be spending his Decembers there.

Papi wil take the best offer, and the fact that Toronto is not in the good ole USA will not matter to him 1 iota.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Yahoo sports report Jays targeting Papi:
    [QUOTE]He hits well in Rogers Center       BUT... would they pay him  double what other DH'ers are getting like Sox do ? Can't see the Jays  giving  him 2/22  or 3/30 million.. can see Sox    going  2/24   with maybe club option on 3.
    Posted by jackyldo[/QUOTE]

Well, if I would want David to go to any other team it would be Toronto not the Rays, Yanks or Rangers.  Hopefully Papi stays in Boston.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano09. Show Modano09's posts

I'm Canadian, and I hate the Blue Jays, mostly because of their fans. They constantly complain about the Yankees and Red Sox spending money, claiming they can't compete with that. They're owned by one of the wealthiest companies in Canada. And when they won the World Series back to back years they had the highest pay roll in MLB both times. They were throwing a fit last week at the reports that Boston was interested in John Farrell. The comments seemed to be divided between those who thought he was wonderful all year suddenly thinking he's over-rated and they don't need him, and others who couldn't understand why anyone would want to manage Boston when they can manage the legendary Blue Jays. My Canadian sports fans are delusional in general though.

But Toronto is a nice city.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]I'm Canadian, and I hate the Blue Jays, mostly because of their fans. They constantly complain about the Yankees and Red Sox spending money, claiming they can't compete with that. They're owned by one of the wealthiest companies in Canada. And when they won the World Series back to back years they had the highest pay roll in MLB both times. They were throwing a fit last week at the reports that Boston was interested in John Farrell. The comments seemed to be divided between those who thought he was wonderful all year suddenly thinking he's over-rated and they don't need him, and others who couldn't understand why anyone would want to manage Boston when they can manage the legendary Blue Jays. My Canadian sports fans are delusional in general though. But Toronto is a nice city.
    Posted by Modano09[/QUOTE]

That is any and all fan bases.  Red Sox fans still complain about how much the Yankees spend.  Based on attendance, I don't think the Jays ownership owes the fans a 100+ million dollar team.  They have cut it back the past few years but I bet they build it back up to around 90 million.  All things considered the Jays are actually a pretty well run team, in my opinion.  They have regulary posted winning records.  If they were in the AL central, they would have some play-off appearences over the last 10 years.

Personally, I thought what the Jays did with Farrell was perfectly reasonable.  If Farrell wanted the Red Sox job he shouldn't have taken the Jays job and signed a contract.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yahoo sports report Jays targeting Papi : molitor,morris,clemons,bj ryan,frank thomas,dave winfield etc.As soon as they become good they can sign anybody....clemons signed with the jays although he had a better offer with the yanks because he figured  they were gonna rebuild to their glory days.It depends on how good a team the free agents think you have and when the jays were winning world series everyone wanted to go there.
    Posted by iamme17[/QUOTE]

That was in 80's and 90's!!

Read this article:

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yahoo sports report Jays targeting Papi : That was in 80's and 90's!! Read this article: http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2011/09/27/are-toronto-sports-fans-scaring-away-talented-players/

Seemed that blog aka article was mostly about the Leafs and we all know Canadiens are far more passionate about hockey than baseball.  I serioulsy doubt David Ortiz would find Blue Jay fans more obsessive or demanding than Red Sox fans.

The Raptors is another story all together.  The NBA is about having 1 or 2 great players, the Raptors have had some good players (Carter, Bosh) and made play-offs but those guys leave as soon as they get the chance to be somewhere where people are going to pay attention to them and thus better endorsment deals and more jersey sales.

Also, It is a lot harder to lure a player to live in Toronto from OCT-April than April-OCT.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]He was the best DH around this year by a pretty good margin.
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

He has been a very dependable DH for the Red Sox and I would hate to see him leave.  I would like to see him retire with the Red Sox. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

[QUOTE]Who are you going to get to replace a players who hit .309 with 29 HRs and 98 RBIs under the pressure of being in Boston?It's not like they're a dime a dozen.If you think Youk should DH,who's going to play 3rd,or DH if Youk goes down with an injury? 
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

Perhaps a guy that can hit 280-90, hit 20hrs and 75-90rbis. That's who. A guy that can field and run. a guy that runs out ground balls hard. I am sure there is a guy out there that can do that.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

A Seattle blogger doubts that the Mariners as a good fit for David Ortiz:

http://www.lookoutlanding.com/2011/10/21/2505724/david-ortiz-seattle-mariners

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yahoo sports report Jays targeting Papi : Perhaps a guy that can hit 280-90, hit 20hrs and 75-90rbis. That's who. A guy that can field and run. a guy that runs out ground balls hard. I am sure there is a guy out there that can do that.
    Posted by antiqueman1[/QUOTE]

OK,so you want the Sox to downgrade to a lesser player at DH.That must be because they don't need the extra hits,HR's and RBI's that Ortiz provided or will hopefully provide again next year.Fine.
       I must have missed the player you were suggesting that Boston brings in to replace him though.Could you please elaborate?I'd be interested in hearing your suggestion.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Blue Jays can definitely afford Ortiz since their payroll is 100 mil less than the Sox payroll.  Doesn't appear to be a money issue although the most money any Blue Jay player is currently making is 8 mil a year.

Additionally anyone that thinks Ortiz is not a temptation to an AL team has got to be dreaming.  The Angels could use him and afford him as could the Orioles or the Jays. 

Sections
Shortcuts