Yankee Draft Picks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tripleb2066. Show tripleb2066's posts

Yankee Draft Picks

Now that they have signed 3 free agents with draft pick compensation attached (Mcann, Ellsbury, Beltran), how is it determined who gets the NYY first round pick? Could the Sox get stuck with a 3rd rounder for Ellsbury?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Yankee Draft Picks

In response to tripleb2066's comment:

Now that they have signed 3 free agents with draft pick compensation attached (Mcann, Ellsbury, Beltran), how is it determined who gets the NYY first round pick? Could the Sox get stuck with a 3rd rounder for Ellsbury?

The draft picks do not transfer to the former team. The draft picks are forfeited and merely disappear.

If I'm not mistaken, the Yankees have forfeited their first-round draft pick for Brian McCann, two compensatory sandwich-round picks for Jacoby Ellsbury and Carlos Beltran, and lost a potential sandwich-round pick when they re-signed Hiroki Kuroda.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2014/order.jsp

The Red Sox currently have one first-round pick at No. 29 and two sandwich-round picks at No. 38 and 39. The Sox lost a potential sandwich-round pick when they re-signed Mike Napoli.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

The draft picks do not transfer to the former team. The draft picks are forfeited and merely disappear.

If I'm not mistaken, the Yankees have forfeited their first-round draft pick for Brian McCann, two compensatory sandwich-round picks for Jacoby Ellsbury and Carlos Beltran, and lost a potential sandwich-round pick when they re-signed Hiroki Kuroda.

The Red Sox currently have one first-round pick at No. 29 and two sandwich-round picks at No. 38 and 39.

Im sorry, but spending all this $$$ AND on guys attached to a QO is not good business. They wont pick until like 58th in the draft. We will have 3 picks by them and one more right after their 1st.

Thats NOT how you build an organization. They may have unlimited funds, but they are not very smart IMHO. This may have worked with type A and B FA before, but certainly not in todays MLB.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Red Sox currently have one first-round pick at No. 29 and two sandwich-round picks at No. 38 and 39.

[/QUOTE]

I think that Jete02 or PSZak pointed out that the Yankees do not lose their sandwich picks (Cano/Granderson) but will have lost their first (McCann), second (Ellsbury) and third (Beltran) rounders.  So, maybe their Sandwich picks and then nothing until round 4?

I also think that the Sox do not have pick 39(ish) until Drew signs elsewhere.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to Bigpapa1977's comment:

I think that Jete02 or PSZak pointed out that the Yankees do not lose their sandwich picks (Cano/Granderson) but will have lost their first (McCann), second (Ellsbury) and third (Beltran) rounders.  So, maybe their Sandwich picks and then nothing until round 4?

yeah that was me Bigpapa

but just like a lot of writers I was wrong

we do lose the san picks

hill straighten me out ............twice ;-)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

yeah that was me Bigpapa

we do lose the san picks

[/QUOTE]

Whoops!  I missed that. 

Bad news for them.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Since the Yankees are still in need of pitchers they won't be drafting until the 5th round in 2015!! Bwahahahaha!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

yeah that was me Bigpapa

we do lose the san picks

[/QUOTE]

I'm glad you cleared that up... was about to say :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:

I'm glad you cleared that up... was about to say :)

kinda of funny

I gave hill kudos for straightening me out yesterday

then today I posted where a writer had just said that I was right

by time hill read the link

the writer  had corrected himself

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tripleb2066. Show tripleb2066's posts

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/12/qualifying-offer-and-draft-pick-compensation-update.html

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

[QUOTE]

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/12/qualifying-offer-and-draft-pick-compensation-update.html

[/QUOTE]

from that link

the CBA is clear that you lose your highest available pick in the next draft, other than picks awarded due to failure to sign a prior year's first-round choice. "All of a Club's draft selections will be subject to forfeiture," including those awarded for loss of a Qualified Free Agent.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I guess if you choose to sign QO free agents, the impact on the draft is less if you do 4 at a time (one winter).

I'm hopint the remaining QO free agents all sign with different teams who do not have protected 1st round picks. That we we can move up from #29 to #23, and our comp picks can move up 6 slots as well.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Red Sox currently have one first-round pick at No. 29 and two sandwich-round picks at No. 38 and 39. The Sox lost a potential sandwich-round pick when they re-signed Mike Napoli.

Explain why the sandwich picks are 38 & 39.  There is not 30 picks in the first round, and some of the sandwich picks have been lost by the Yanks (Cano, Kuroda) and Sox (Napoli).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

the yankees really don't care about building a farm system; that takes too much time and brains and they have neither

their business model is free agents knowing the deals will be bad soon but they figure, hey, if we give Texieria 180 million over 8 years and if it gets them ONE World Series then it was worth it

that's why yankee fans have gotten so used to rooting for the uniform and not the players

I honestly think that 75% of the posters here could do just a good job as Cashman....I wonder what the interview process would be like?  Do you have experience speaking with the press?  Have you ever negotiated with a lawyer before?   Do you know how to sign checks and balance a check book?  Absolutely no baseball know-how needed...........

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

You want to stay in Top 100 in this Draft.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Explain why the sandwich picks are 38 & 39.  There is not 30 picks in the first round, and some of the sandwich picks have been lost by the Yanks (Cano, Kuroda) and Sox (Napoli).

[/QUOTE]

Currently we sit at 29th and 37th.  If Drew were to sign tomorrow we would sit at 29th 37th and 38th.

Sections
Shortcuts