Yankee shotgun FA Model: Most Marquis FA moves do not work out

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Yankee shotgun FA Model: Most Marquis FA moves do not work out

Professional baseball is a team game. It is not like the NFL, where the best quarterback in the NFL, IE Rodgers, can take a loser to a winner. It is not like the NBA, where 2 top players can do the same.  FA acquisitions are a necessary part of roster construction, but only where trade and farm has failed to produce a necessary part. It is truly a disgace to see a complete MLB ready zero on RH OF, as well as farm pitching depth so poor that Lackey was bid up and Wastefield is rolled out in a wheelchair.   

It is more about fit in baseball. I am not impressed with the Epstein shotgun approach, or what the Marlins and Angels have done over the winter. It has been correctly noted that some recent title teams have not made any major winter FA buys before title seasons. 

It would be nice to see a decent team work ethic from the Red Sox. They have been a Union country club disgrace for years. With Varitek and Wakefield no longer country club members, Valentine will need to find player leadership to develop the proper work ethic and individual player accountability.

What happened to the Phillies and the Red Sox should be a reminder to the herd that winter FA splashes are not cause and effect.

The Yankees can sustain massive value write-offs and go back to the auction market for FA without blinking on the many FA contract mega-busts. The Mets can't. Crawford was the extra splash from last winter, Lackey the year before. Perhaps the new GM will be smarter and no splash away with the shotgun approach. Crawford, #3 hitter, a joke from the outset! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Re: Yankee shotgun FA Model: Most Marquis FA moves do not work out

"Marquis?"

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Was Marquis Grissom a free agent?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

As a free agent he subsequently attracted the attention of the San Francisco Giants, who had just been defeated in the World Series. San Francisco signed Grissom, and he enjoyed two more productive seasons as their starting center fielder. The Giants were successful as well, winning the NL West in 2003 and missing the wild card by one game in 2004. Marquis won the 2003 Willie Mac Award for his spirit and leadership. Grissom's production dipped again in 2005, and in a season of struggles by the Giants, he was released. Wiki

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

marquis (n): a nobleman ranking next below a duke and above an earl or count.

marquee (adj): superlative; headlining: a marquee basketball player.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

I imagine you meant to say marquee FA moves, but nice try anyway with the Grissom snippet...

“Pray for the dead, and fight like hell for the living.”

-          “Mother” Mary Harris Jones (union and community organizer, born 1837 (Ireland) – 1930 (U.S.))

“You see, until a few weeks ago, it seemed as if Wall Street had effectively bribed and bullied our political system into forgetting about that whole drawing lavish paychecks while destroying the world economy thing. Then, all of a sudden, some people insisted on bringing the subject up again. And their (Occupy Wall Street) outrage has found resonance with millions of Americans. No wonder Wall Street is whining.”

-          Paul Krugman, Princeton economist, N.Y. Times column, 10/16/11

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In Response to Re: Yankee shotgun FA Model: Most Marquis FA moves do not work out:
    [QUOTE]As a free agent he subsequently attracted the attention of the San Francisco Giants , who had just been defeated in the World Series . San Francisco signed Grissom, and he enjoyed two more productive seasons as their starting center fielder. The Giants were successful as well, winning the NL West in 2003 and missing the wild card by one game in 2004 . Marquis won the 2003 Willie Mac Award for his spirit and leadership. Grissom's production dipped again in 2005, and in a season of struggles by the Giants, he was released . Wiki
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

Well, I guess he truly was a "Marquis" free agent. ;)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In Response to Re: Yankee shotgun FA Model: Most Marquis FA moves do not work out:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yankee shotgun FA Model: Most Marquis FA moves do not work out : Well, I guess he truly was a "Marquis" free agent. ;)
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]

I haven't given out one of these in a while, but both of your rebuttals to Hank Softy Williams were perfect.

http://youtu.be/Ji-cT58rgNc

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Starting threads with welfare english never cool.

"your" welcome.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yankee shotgun FA Model: Most Marquis FA moves do not work out : Well, I guess he truly was a "Marquis" free agent. ;)
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]

The only "Marquis" free agent this year is Jason Marquis...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arodswallows. Show Arodswallows's posts

and do we want Jason Maquis???

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

Hank's bungled attempt at a Wikipirouette actually reminded me of my junior year at Brandeis, when an evening pizza outing with friends included a sophmore nerdette for whom I held the ultimate crush.  Already having spent 10 minutes trying to impress upon her that my working class intellectual credentials were above reproach (mainly by dropping the names of obscure medieval philosophers, followed by a quick demonstration of my knowledge of the flaws in the Patriots' secondary, as they were at that very moment being thrashed on the big screen), the pizzas finally arrived.  My o-so-unreachable-goddess-associate asked me if I wanted any of her small pizza, which was topped, as she noted, with anchovies. "Ever have 'em, Casey?", she inquired. Looking to solidify my working class resume even further, while reminding her yet again that my parents were Irish immigrants, I shot back confidently with "Nah, my mom is a strict Catholic from the old country, and hors d'oeuvres would have been against her religion."  She giggled at this, and I began to wax triumphant, picturing her returning to my dorm room that very evening...

Unfortunately, she was not finished: "Sooo, you know what they are Casey, I imagine?"  Sad to say, I had never seen, tasted, or even fondled anchovies, but I always suspected that they represented a dysfunctional branch of the olive family. However, I was hardly confident of this assessment, and decided, with my vacant Jeopardy-Final-Answer-and-Deer-Caught-in-the Headlights eyes blinding everyone at my table, to simply dodge her query like Rick Perry on a good day: "Are you being serious. Of course I do!"  The goddess' quick rejoinder offered no reprieve: "So have a slice already, and tell me what you think." 

I nervously assented, and after two quick bites, I hit paydirt. My overloaded taste buds ensured that I would fail to weigh my response more carefully in the direction of reputation-protective ambiguity: "Jesus, these ones are weird....They almost taste like fish!!"  The goddess cackled loudly and mockingly at this, interrupting her seemingly interminable peals of laughter only to interject the obligatory barb: "Casey, anchovies are fish!!"

So in a matter of a few short minutes, I had gone from working class hero to lumpy proletarian, and the now disenchanted goddess was soon to start dating a math major who daydreamed about being an orthodontist....There is a powerful moral somewhere in this tawdry tale of romantic woe about women and courtship hubris, but I will pass on further explication of same.  Suffice it to say, Hank, I have a Master's Degree in Face-Saving Revisionism, so I hope you take my razzing in a spirit of competitive respect from a fellow artiste....For, to be honest, you had me going for nearly a minute or so, monsieur, or should I address you as the Marquis de Makeup...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

Why not have a "Flub of the Year" competition, where the most lovingly annoying posters could battle it out for top prize....

-          “Mother” Mary Harris Jones (union and community organizer, born 1837 (Ireland) – 1930 (U.S.))

“You see, until a few weeks ago, it seemed as if Wall Street had effectively bribed and bullied our political system into forgetting about that whole drawing lavish paychecks while destroying the world economy thing. Then, all of a sudden, some people insisted on bringing the subject up again. And their (Occupy Wall Street) outrage has found resonance with millions of Americans. No wonder Wall Street is whining.”

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Like how he has used the word "median" over 1,000 times, and not one of them was correct....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yankee shotgun FA Model: Most Marquis FA moves do not work out : softy will soon claim one of 2 things: 1) He meant Jason Marquis all along. 2) It was an innocent spelling mistake. The irony of the whole thing is that softy pretends that he is an educated lawyer, picks a "word of the week" to overuse in an effort to show off his percieved "superior" intellect, and often slams other posters for misuse of words or spelling mistakes. He's really living up to the "silly clown" label more and more each day.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
         So far, moon, he has maintained a dignified silence, and so, being the eternal optimist, I will take a leap of faith, and venture to say Softy could be showing signs of mellowing....Does that make the word of the week ingenuous to describe my naivete? Or is it disingenuous, to describe the possibly perceived insincerity of this post? Hank, it is your move....Either way, Happy Holidays, Monsieur Marquis...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The best is how he morphed it onto "median average".  

Too funny!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Moonslob, drive by NYT shill stalker, will claim that he made retirement money daytrading in market and never stated that Igleasias could not be traded because of one year limitation on international FA and he doesn't like Wastefield but just has to spend nearly every post claiming what a great value he is. And lest we not forget, Moonslob didn't vote for Obama but states that Republican Presidents ran up the current debt and deficits and entitlement spending is affordable if it is spent to help the poor and tax loopholes are closed on the rich.

Moonslob is on SS disability and never made a dime as a day trader. He is a two time loser divorce.

And Moonslob, surely you can do better than "morphed" and "Lava" to try and impress those who know your constant unrealistic post total thread is a bad attempt to assuage low self esteem.

And for those who would believe this moron who is allowed license to name call because he is an imbedded NYT fronted shilling fraud, in 1989, Minnesota and Washington, D.C. had a MBE score threshold of 145 that automatically qualified anyone that passed that score to be admitted. Minnesota had the unusual requirement of being sworn in by affidvait instead of in person before the Court. 

Now, you won't find that information on "the net", like this moron finds his baseball information, if one is a fraud. 

Moonslob posts more than anyone on this site becuase he is a Ward of the State. No Ward of the State ever admits it.

To readers, you are wasting your time reading what amounts to a parasite who has never had a insightful independent thought in his life.

Needless to say, takes a small man to come on this thread spamming away from his circle jerk thread that he claims is above it all. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Moonslob, drive by NYT shill stalker, will claim that he made retirement money daytrading in market and never stated that Igleasias could not be traded because of one year limitation on international FA and he doesn't like Wastefield but just has to spend nearly every post claiming what a great value he is. And lest we not forget, Moonslob didn't vote for Obama but states that Republican Presidents ran up the current debt and deficits and entitlement spending is affordable if it is spent to help the poor and tax loopholes are closed on the rich. Moonslob is on SS disability and never made a dime as a day trader. He is a two time loser divorce. And Moonslob, surely you can do better than "morphed" and "Lava" to try and impress those who know your constant unrealistic post total thread is a bad attempt to assuage low self esteem. And for those who would believe this moron who is allowed license to name call because he is an imbedded NYT fronted shilling fraud, in 1989, Minnesota and Washington, D.C. had a MBE score threshold of 145 that automatically qualified anyone that passed that score to be admitted. Minnesota had the unusual requirement of being sworn in by affidvait instead of in person before the Court.  Now, you won't find that information, like this moron finds his baseball information, if one is a fraud.  Moonslob posts more than anyone on this site becuase he is a Ward of the State. No Ward of the State ever admits it. To readers, you are wasting your time reading what amounts to a parasite who has never had a insightful independent thought in his life. Needless to say, takes a small man to come on this thread spamming away from his circle jerk thread that he claims is above it all. 
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]
    Peace be with you, my friend.

PS: Are you really touting an MBE score from 1989?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

No, I am rebutting a moron, see Rule 11 FRCP;)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

softy will soon claim one of 2 things:

1) He meant Jason Marquis all along.
    2) It was an innocent spelling mistake.

I guess I should have added a 3rd softy choice: divert, distort, and drivel.

Moonslob, drive by NYT shill stalker, will claim that he made retirement money daytrading in market 

Why? You jealous?

and never stated that Igleasias could not be traded because of one year limitation on international FA 

Again, that wasn't me. You keep confusing my positions with others. I never wanted Iggy dealt in his first year. I love great defensive SSs. I don't want him traded now either, but realize Sox management will not play him, so then they should.

and he doesn't like Wastefield but just has to spend nearly every post claiming what a great value he is. 

Mostly just responding to your twisted Wakebashing misinformation.

And lest we not forget, Moonslob didn't vote for Obama but states that Republican Presidents ran up the current debt and deficits and entitlement spending is affordable if it is spent to help the poor and tax loopholes are closed on the rich.

Obama is just contuing what Bush started. Lying, cheating, spending, and continuing costly and needless wars.

Moonslob is on SS disability and never made a dime as a day trader. He is a two time loser divorce.

I've never collected a dime from the Gov for anything. I've been divorced once. Your are desperate to turn the attention away from your blunders.

And Moonslob, surely you can do better than "morphed" and "Lava" to try and impress those who know your constant unrealistic post total thread is a bad attempt to assuage low self esteem.

Why not show your "true morality" and keep your promise to not post on the thread?

And for those who would believe this moron who is allowed license to name call because he is an imbedded NYT fronted shilling fraud, in 1989, Minnesota and Washington, D.C. had a MBE score threshold of 145 that automatically qualified anyone that passed that score to be admitted. Minnesota had the unusual requirement of being sworn in by affidvait instead of in person before the Court. 

I call you a "silly clown" and a "liar"... both provable facts. Those names pale in comparisson to what you have called numerous posters on this site.

Now, you won't find that information, like this moron finds his baseball information, if one is a fraud. 

And we still haven't heard your excuse for misusing the word "marquis". Was it that liberal public education you were forced to attend or did you miss the short bus that day?

Moonslob posts more than anyone on this site becuase he is a Ward of the State. No Ward of the State ever admits it. 

If you totalled all the softy monikers together, he'd be over 30K, so what ward are you in?

To readers, you are wasting your time reading what amounts to a parasite who has never had a insightful independent thought in his life. 

Funny, how you praised me the day my thread hit 10K. Were you lying then or now?

Needless to say, takes a small man to come on this thread spamming away from his circle jerk thread that he claims is above it all. 

Never claimed that. Keep up the lies. Santa is listening.

Silly clown.

So, was it a typo? 

By the way....

What's Jason Marguee's median average?

LMAO

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Funny, how you praised me the day my thread hit 10K. Were you lying then or now?

No, you are lying then and now. It wasn't me praising you, which seems to be what your low self esteem is crying out for with this latest stalking drivel.

Do me a favor, stay on your NYT licensed circle jerk thread. 

Was it Dunn for 30M or 80 million?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

I honestly wish now, Hank, I had not stirred the pot on this thread...A few of your recent posts made me believe you were indeed mellowing, Softy, and I thought you might take all this in stride....Hence, the self-effacing anecdote from my college days above. But coming on here and making really vicious attacks on someone, including lies about how they are collecting Social Security Disability, is way beyond the pale...I cannot believe you are even slightly content or satisfied in your life.  Your relentless anger and venom towards fellow posters or aging Red Sox players is nothing but the flip side of a pretty serious depressive state.  If you do not get some kind of help in the near future, that emotional wastefield in which you currently reside could become too deep to crawl out of.  Seriously, my man, I hope a few Dickensian ghosts drop by over the holidays to show you where you might be heading unless you start to have a change of heart.  Good luck with this humbug soul thing, and Happy Holidays....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Peace be with you, my friend.

Even with the spirit of Christmas all around us, it's hard to feel any empathy for this silly clown. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

This thread has turned specious.

Sections
Shortcuts