Yankee Stadium

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Yankee Stadium

Ive noticed something while watching games played at YS this year that Im wondering about. I noticed the little baseball fields next to the stadium, looks like a city park or something. Are one of those diamonds on the site of the old YS diamond? The question is, could you go and play ball there on the field that was once YS.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Yankee Stadium

Yes

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to jesseyeric's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yes

[/QUOTE]

Thanks jessey. I wish theyd have done that in Cincinnati. Last time I was there, there was nothing but a big hole where Riverfront used to be. Travesty. Someone said they were going to build apartments or something. This is how we memorialize the Big Red Machine? I think Atlanta also has some kind of markings in the parking lot where Fulton County used to stand.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

The old Forbes Field home plate is embedded on the ground floor of a building at the University of Pittsburgh...Was there for a Green Party convention in the 90's and got to see it...Very cool..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

The YS stood on ground that was owned by the Knights of Columbus.  My understanding is that the terms were that it had to always be a BB site.

In addition, the new YS stands on part of McCoombs Dam park (I use to run track there).  Laws in NYC say you cannot have any negative park space, so they had to open up additional parks.  The BB field, which is spectacular, and they also opened up a soccer field just to the west of the BB field.  Likewise spectacular.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Examiner... Here's a link to an article about the former Yankee Stadium and what's happening with it now.It just came out today:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8514484/site-old-yankee-stadium-serves-good-purpose

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I really wish I had gone to the old Yankee Stadium. Had the chance once -- the family was in NYC and Mrs. Dobler actually told me to take the subway and go to a Yankee game one night on my own. And I declined. From which it can be concluded that (a) I have the coolest wife in history and (b) I'm an idiot.

Most of you have known (b) the last few years.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

been to old YS about 1 million times

been to new YS about zero times

it is criminal that they built a new stadium and tore the old place down. 

absolutely criminal.

they will never get $1 of my money in the new.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I really wish I had gone to the old Yankee Stadium. Had the chance once -- the family was in NYC and Mrs. Dobler actually told me to take the subway and go to a Yankee game one night on my own. And I declined. From which it can be concluded that (a) I have the coolest wife in history and (b) I'm an idiot.

[/QUOTE]

Just go down to 42nd and 8th and walk around Port Authority.  You'll get the sense of what the old Yankee Stadium looked and felt like.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

been to old YS about 1 million times

been to new YS about zero times

it is criminal that they built a new stadium and tore the old place down. 

absolutely criminal.

they will never get $1 of my money in the new.

[/QUOTE]
    I am looking forward to seeing the new Yankee Stadium and hope to attend a game within the next couple of years.  It all depends on when the Red Sox play the Yankees. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I just think it was a good idea to keep it being used as a baseball field instead of letting it go to waste,like Tigers Stadium in Detroit.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Examiner... Here's a link to an article about the former Yankee Stadium and what's happening with it now.It just came out today:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8514484/site-old-yankee-stadium-serves-good-purpose

[/QUOTE]

Thanks mojo. I noticed it said one of the fields was "approximately" where the YS diamond was. AAAAAGH! Why not put it exactly where it was? Thats what would make it really fun to play ball there. I hate NYY, but I have to admit that Id be honored to play a ball game or two there.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

I just think it was a good idea to keep it being used as a baseball field instead of letting it go to waste,like Tigers Stadium in Detroit.

[/QUOTE]

Riverfront too. Like I posted before, nothing there but a hole as of 2010. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's a shame they don't care about parks with so much history made there.I'm glad you brought this up.

Jim Caple from ESPN did a great article about Tiger Stadium earlier this year on what would have been it's 100th anniversary.Here's a link if you're interested:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7851622/tiger-stadium-turned-100-little-fanfare

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's a shame they don't care about parks with so much history made there.I'm glad you brought this up.

Jim Caple from ESPN did a great article about Tiger Stadium earlier this year on what would have been it's 100th anniversary.Here's a link if you're interested:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7851622/tiger-stadium-turned-100-little-fanfare

[/QUOTE]

I went to my first MLB game with my dad at Riverfron Stadium in 1991. Barry Larkin hit three HR that night, its something I'll never forget. And what is there now? A giant hole. We have no idea where home plate even was. The only marker is a white rose in the rose garden behind the museum. They tell us that is where Pete Rose's 4192 landed--"or in that area" they say. What a steaming pile. Kudos to the Sox for holding on to the classic stadium and making it work.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Im thankful for this ownership dipping 300+mm into renovations and keeping Fenway park right where it was originally built 100 years ago...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

New Yankee Stadium differs from old. The right field fence is about 6 feet shorter. It's a straight line rather than a curve. And there is a real draft that wafts over from the Harlem River and gives a nice tail wind to balls hit to RF. Just sayin'.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You might have company in the part (b) area but I can worm my way out of that because of one thing that I can say about old Yankee Stadium.  I saw five Yankees-Red Sox games there and the Red Sox won all of them.  I'm kind of proud of that.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I have been to the new Yankee stadium.  It has too much of a "corporate" image.  Fenway Park has more of a "rich tradition" image. 

The worst stadium I have ever visited is Tropicana Field.  The place is so depressing.  No wonder the Rays were last in attendence.  LOL

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I went there to see Bo Jackson play. The place was so over-rated, damp, & smelled of mildew/mold. Take comfort in that you didn't miss anything. My friends, who are Yankee fans, actually preferred Shea Stadium.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have been to the new Yankee stadium.  It has too much of a "corporate" image.  Fenway Park has more of a "rich tradition" image. 

The worst stadium I have ever visited is Tropicana Field.  The place is so depressing.  No wonder the Rays were last in attendence.  LOL

[/QUOTE]

Seconded.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to xxxcrwn's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Take comfort in that you didn't miss anything. My friends, who are Yankee fans, actually preferred Shea Stadium.

[/QUOTE]

insanity.  your friends are high.

old YS bled baseball.  walking into there to see a game was similar to the feeling we get when walking up the ramp into the fens.  it is a crime they replaced YS.  you missed one of the crown jewels of sports.  no comfort in that.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to xxxcrwn's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Take comfort in that you didn't miss anything. My friends, who are Yankee fans, actually preferred Shea Stadium.

[/QUOTE]

insanity.  your friends are high.

old YS bled baseball.  walking into there to see a game was similar to the feeling we get when walking up the ramp into the fens.  it is a crime they replaced YS.  you missed one of the crown jewels of sports.  no comfort in that.

[/QUOTE]

I respectfully disagree.  Yes, if one actively engaged his/her knowledge of baseball history,  of course one could imagine the rich texture of baseball legend in the air.  But the stadium itself, unlike Fenway Park, was only what it once was in its physical location and general shape.  The actual ballpark smacked far more of the horrendous 70s remodel than it did of crown jewel.  It is always a shame, in my mind, to tear down the old parks.  But the Yankee organization did everything in their power to destroy any of the rich historical vibes of Yankee Stadium long before they decided to tear it down.  

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

baseball is all about history.  that is what is so great about it.  i get why you disagree but the baseball history i took as a given.  plus i said similar, not same.  anyways...the crazy guy beating the sh!t   crud out of the pan with a spoon, the giant bat, and the jail overlooking the stadium made it unique.

Sections
Shortcuts