Yankees' 2014 bullpen - what are they thinking?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Yankees' 2014 bullpen - what are they thinking?

Here is the complete list of pitchers on the Yankees' current 40-man roster that pitched more than 5 innings of relief in the majors last year:

DRob 66.1 IP / 2.04 ERA / 2.4 WAR

Warren 77.0 / 3.39 / 1.2

Nuno 20.0 / 2.25 / 0.7

Thornton 43.1 / 3.74 / 0.5

Claiborne 50.1 / 4.11 / 0.3

Kelley 53.1 / 4.39 / 0.0

Phelps 86.2 / 4.98 / -0.1 

Phelps's numbers are total including starting appearances.

As it stands this is one incredibly thin-looking pen.

I know they have a bunch of young guys who'll be auditioning.

It's very surprising, though, that they didn't pick up a guy like Balfour, who seemed like a great fit at a reasonable cost.

Have to think there are more moves coming...but still a little puzzling.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Re: Yankees' 2014 bullpen - what are they thinking?

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Here is the complete list of pitchers on the Yankees' current 40-man roster that pitched more than 5 innings of relief in the majors last year:

DRob 66.1 IP / 2.04 ERA / 2.4 WAR

Warren 77.0 / 3.39 / 1.2

Nuno 20.0 / 2.25 / 0.7

Thornton 43.1 / 3.74 / 0.5

Claiborne 50.1 / 4.11 / 0.3

Kelley 53.1 / 4.39 / 0.0

Phelps 86.2 / 4.98 / -0.1 

Phelps's numbers are total including starting appearances.

As it stands this is one incredibly thin-looking pen.

I know they have a bunch of young guys who'll be auditioning.

It's very surprising, though, that they didn't pick up a guy like Balfour, who seemed like a great fit at a reasonable cost.

Have to think there are more moves coming...but still a little puzzling.

[/QUOTE]

Someone made the point the other day that the loss of Rivera might not hurt as much as the loss of DRob as the set up guy.   The average starter goes about 6 innings....the 7th and 8th could kill them...let's hope so!  :-)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

When Mariano retired it immediately became half of what it was never mind any adds or other subtractions.

The fact that Mr. Rivera is no longer lurking will make many teams and hitters much more relaxed in the late innings.

It will be interesting to see if Giradi, Rothschild (PC), Pena Long and Tuck (BP Coach) can continue the same out put they got all last year to keep them in the race for a long time.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]Someone made the point the other day that the loss of Rivera might not hurt as much as the loss of DRob as the set up guy.   The average starter goes about 6 innings....the 7th and 8th could kill them...let's hope so!  :-)

[/QUOTE]

Well yeah...DRob might be able to fill Mo's shoes, but who's gonna fill DRob's shoes?

Did the Yankees sort of forget about this part in the midst of all their spending fun? Laughing

Oh, I'm just messin' with ya, Yankees fans.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

BTW I for one do not want a weak NY Yankee team. I'd much rather beat or lose to a strong Yankee team.

A strong NY Yankee team makes for the GREAT rivalry that there is.

Much rather watch a 3-2 win than beat the crap out of the BP in the 7,8 and 9th on a weak BP and win 8-2.

The 9th inning 1 run wins against Mariano were so much sweeter than the 3 run innings versus any other Yankee pitcher.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

wait...isn't Joba their next "mariano"???

oh yeah....nevermind.

me thinks the team from da bronx might lose a GRIP of 10-7 (or similar) baseball games this season.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Did the Yankees sort of forget about this part in the midst of all their spending fun? Laughing

Oh, I'm just messin' with ya, Yankees fans.

it's a very good question Hnut

one I can't really answer other than the standard talking points

bullpen by committee

after todays press conf Bcash said tanaka wasn't paid

all that money 2 B a #3

he's R new set up guy ;-)

Well, David Robertson is now the guy in the ninth inning. After being an excellent setup man for the past few seasons, he will now be elevated into the closer’s role, no matter what Brian Cashman says. The lack of a signing of Grant Balfour and Fernando Rodney probably means that. (unless he has a trade up his sleeve) Getting the ball to D-Rob will be the tricky part. Shawn Kelley and his excellent 12 K/9 ratio will probably be the guy in the eighth. In addition from the right side, Preston Claiborne will help out. He dominated early on, but seemed to lose steam as the season wore on.

Bullpens change from year to year and the best way to do it is generally young and cheaply. The Yankees are trending that way this year.

New York Yankees Organizational Depth Breakdown: Bullpen
    By Jason Evans - Feb 11th, 2014 at 9:00 am

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Shhhhhhh......you'll wake them....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The bullpen would seem to be their weak point. It will be interesting to see how they deal with it.

Sections
Shortcuts