Yankees are a much better clutch hitting team than we are!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Yankees are a much better clutch hitting team than we are!!!

I’m still smarting from the 4-2 last game vs. NY.  We had a 2-1 lead, Jones walks and Montero is hit by a pitch and then Martin gets a double and then he scores on Chavez’s single.  I knew 2-1 was going to be tough to hold up but how to get more runs when Saltamachia looks at 2 right down the middle and then with a 0-2 count needs swing at a grounder.  Crawford and Salty both end up 0-4. Then Agon, yup he’s been very good this year but with the bases loaded vs. Rivera gets called for a 3rd strike whether it was a ball or not.

Not happy to admit it but not only are the Yankees a much better offensive team than we are, they are much more gifted at getting clutch hits.  Some people would call it lucky and teams that don’t, unlucky.  I, however, usually notice that irrespective of the sport, the lucky players are usually the better players. In addition to coming back against us in the 3rd game,  in the 1st 2 games in the series with the Blue Jays, they came back with clutch hitting also to win.  Today, they did it convincingly.  We need go face Toronto now 4 games up there after the Yankees just swept them…lucky if we do a 2-2 !

I have no confidence, irrespective of his Grand Slam yesterday which didn’t come in a clutch situation as we were ahead some 3-4 runs, when Crawford comes to bat.  In truth, other than Pedroia & Ellsbury, I have a bit of hope from Agon, Ortiz & Youk but the rest of the guys are mediocre.  Vs. Texas, we get blown out 10-0, win yesterday 12-7( keep in mind they still got 7 runs) and today maybe a bit better the 11-4 but still a thrashing and our 4 runs is like “pissing up wind”.  We gave up 28 runs to Texas in 3 games at home yet  and scored 1/2 as many, 14 runs.  Is this a slight bump in  the road? Let’s hope  so.

Many think our pitching is better than NY’s…maybe our starters with Beckett & Lester as after Sabathia they are “iffy” but the difference is they can many times give their mediocre starters 5-6 runs while we struggle to score i.e. Lester only leading 2-1 when Yankees came back and I think their bullpen is just as good as ours. I would not be concerned with whom we’ll play if we come in 1st or 2nd, be it the Tigers, Rangers or Angels, but we should feel we are playing good baseball.  Again, other than Pedroia and Ellsbury and a sometimes Agon, Youk & Ortiz I’m not tremendously positive of our chances in the post season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

Re: Yankees are a much better clutch hitting team than we are!!!

In Response to Yankees are a much better clutch hitting team than we are!!!:
      I’m still smarting from the 4-2 last game vs. NY.  We had a 2-1 lead, Jones walks and Montero is hit by a pitch and then Martin gets a double and then he scores on Chavez’s single.  I knew 2-1 was going to be tough to hold up but how to get more runs when Saltamachia looks at 2 right down the middle and then with a 0-2 count needs swing at a grounder.  Crawford and Salty both end up 0-4. Then Agon, yup he’s been very good this year but with the bases loaded vs. Rivera gets called for a 3rd strike whether it was a ball or not. Not happy to admit it but not only are the Yankees a much better offensive team than we are, they are much more gifted at getting clutch hits.  Some people would call it lucky and teams that don’t, unlucky.  I, however, usually notice that irrespective of the sport, the lucky players are usually the better players. In addition to coming back against us in the 3rd game,  in the 1st 2 games in the series with the Blue Jays, they came back with clutch hitting also to win.  Today, they did it convincingly.  We need go face Toronto now 4 games up there after the Yankees just swept them…lucky if we do a 2-2 ! I have no confidence, irrespective of his Grand Slam yesterday which didn’t come in a clutch situation as we were ahead some 3-4 runs, when Crawford comes to bat.  In truth, other than Pedroia & Ellsbury, I have a bit of hope from Agon, Ortiz & Youk but the rest of the guys are mediocre.  Vs. Texas, we get blown out 10-0, win yesterday 12-7( keep in mind they still got 7 runs) and today maybe a bit better the 11-4 but still a thrashing and our 4 runs is like “pissing up wind”.  We gave up 28 runs to Texas in 3 games at home yet  and scored 1/2 as many, 14 runs.  Is this a slight bump in  the road? Let’s hope  so. Many think our pitching is better than NY’s…maybe our starters with Beckett & Lester as after Sabathia they are “iffy” but the difference is they can many times give their mediocre starters 5-6 runs while we struggle to score i.e. Lester only leading 2-1 when Yankees came back and I think their bullpen is just as good as ours. I would not be concerned with whom we’ll play if we come in 1st or 2nd, be it the Tigers, Rangers or Angels, but we should feel we are playing good baseball.  Again, other than Pedroia and Ellsbury and a sometimes Agon, Youk & Ortiz I’m not tremendously positive of our chances in the post season.
    Posted by mandobello

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

TO MANDOBELLO..I HAVE BEEN SAYING THE SAME THINGS IN MY
    POSTS ALL ALONG, BUT THEY ARE DELETED OR IGNORED. ONLY
    WHEN THE SOX FINISH THE SEASON 7 OR 8 GAMES OUT, WILL
    THE DIEHARDS REMOVE THE ROSE COLORED SHADES. IT'S OK
    TO SAY IT. THE YANKS ARE A BETTER POWER CLUB, AND A BETTER
    CLUTCH HITTING TEAM. I AGREE. TEX AND GRANDERSON WILL HAVE
    40 DINGERS EACH. WE HAVE NO BIG BATS...WITH ALL APOLOGIES
    TO PAPI, CANO WILL OUTHIT HIM, AND IS FAR MORE DANGEROUS
    IN MY OPINION. OUR PITCHING IS WAY OVERRATED AND LESTER
    STRUGGLES TO PITCH 6 FRAMES, LATELY. ONLY BECKETT IS A STUD.
    HE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO DO IT ALONE, AND OUR GUYS JUST CANNOT
    GIVE HIM SUPPORT. I WATCHED THE TEXAS GAMES TOO.
    HONESTLY, IT WAS PAINFUL . WE WERE OUTCLASSED COMPLETELY.
    EPSTEIN SHOULD BE SACKED FOR THE CC AND LACKEY SIGNINGS,
    AND I AM NOT THRILLED WITH FATSO AGON EITHER, WHO WILL
    HIT SINGLES ALL HE WANTS. HIS RBI'S DO NOT TRANSLATE INTO
    A DIVISION WINNING LINEUP. SORRY TO SAY.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The Red Sox still have scored the most runs in all of baseball, have the highest batting average, and will make the playoffs. 

The team lost 4 out of 6 against the top two teams in the AL.  Once the playoffs begin, it's a whole different story.

I still believe that the Red Sox will be fine.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Yeah, but they just did 180 degree turnarounds against these two teams.  Only a week ago Boston owned Texas in Arlington, and the Yankee fans were nervous about the Fenway series.  

I think the Yanks just got their Sox monkey off their back, and Texas just proved that their losses last week were a fluke.  They've owned us all season long, and we'll likely get them in the playoffs.

Will the real Boston Red Sox please stand up?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

When it comes down to it, pitching beats good hitting especially in the playoffs.   I trust Beckett and Lester.    After that it tapers off.    Too soon to make a full judgement with Bedard.     Lackey is what he is and Wakefield needs a ton of run support.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

Well, if thed Yanks are so much better, how is it we took the season series?  Texas in Arlington has always been a house of horrors, and they took it to us at home and the season series.  We'll be okay if we're healthy for the rest of the season and the playoffs.  Are we going to win it all this year?  Who knows, it's not like anyone gave us much of a chance in 04.  I'm more concerned about the pen, in that throughout this series we stunk up the joint - but I think we'll be a handful in the playoffs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Yankees are a much better clutch hitting team than we are!!!:
      I’m still smarting from the 4-2 last game vs. NY.  We had a 2-1 lead, Jones walks and Montero is hit by a pitch and then Martin gets a double and then he scores on Chavez’s single.  I knew 2-1 was going to be tough to hold up but how to get more runs when Saltamachia looks at 2 right down the middle and then with a 0-2 count needs swing at a grounder.  Crawford and Salty both end up 0-4. Then Agon, yup he’s been very good this year but with the bases loaded vs. Rivera gets called for a 3rd strike whether it was a ball or not. Not happy to admit it but not only are the Yankees a much better offensive team than we are, they are much more gifted at getting clutch hits.  Some people would call it lucky and teams that don’t, unlucky.  I, however, usually notice that irrespective of the sport, the lucky players are usually the better players. In addition to coming back against us in the 3rd game,  in the 1st 2 games in the series with the Blue Jays, they came back with clutch hitting also to win.  Today, they did it convincingly.  We need go face Toronto now 4 games up there after the Yankees just swept them…lucky if we do a 2-2 ! I have no confidence, irrespective of his Grand Slam yesterday which didn’t come in a clutch situation as we were ahead some 3-4 runs, when Crawford comes to bat.  In truth, other than Pedroia & Ellsbury, I have a bit of hope from Agon, Ortiz & Youk but the rest of the guys are mediocre.  Vs. Texas, we get blown out 10-0, win yesterday 12-7( keep in mind they still got 7 runs) and today maybe a bit better the 11-4 but still a thrashing and our 4 runs is like “pissing up wind”.  We gave up 28 runs to Texas in 3 games at home yet  and scored 1/2 as many, 14 runs.  Is this a slight bump in  the road? Let’s hope  so. Many think our pitching is better than NY’s…maybe our starters with Beckett & Lester as after Sabathia they are “iffy” but the difference is they can many times give their mediocre starters 5-6 runs while we struggle to score i.e. Lester only leading 2-1 when Yankees came back and I think their bullpen is just as good as ours. I would not be concerned with whom we’ll play if we come in 1st or 2nd, be it the Tigers, Rangers or Angels, but we should feel we are playing good baseball.  Again, other than Pedroia and Ellsbury and a sometimes Agon, Youk & Ortiz I’m not tremendously positive of our chances in the post season.
    Posted by mandobello

Living in the moment I see.

So let's look at the stats. Here the BA of each team in some clutch categories:

RISP: Boston .279; NYY .273
    Men on: Boston .293; NYY .261
    2 Outs, RISP: Boston .261; NYY .236
    Late and Close: Boston .270; NYY .240
    Tie Score: Boston .279; NYY .290
    Behind: Boston .273; NYY .255.

Hmmm -- want to rethink the title of your thread?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

In Response to Re: Yankees are a much better clutch hitting team than we are!!!:
    The Red Sox still have scored the most runs in all of baseball, have the highest batting average, and will make the playoffs.  The team lost 4 out of 6 against the top two teams in the AL.  Once the playoffs begin, it's a whole different story. I still believe that the Red Sox will be fine.
    Posted by Ice-Cream

I believe the Yanks have the most runs scored in the ML with one game in hand. Check the ESPN MLB stats.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

In Response to Re: Yankees are a much better clutch hitting team than we are!!!:
    Well, if thed Yanks are so much better, how is it we took the season series?  Texas in Arlington has always been a house of horrors, and they took it to us at home and the season series.  We'll be okay if we're healthy for the rest of the season and the playoffs.  Are we going to win it all this year?  Who knows, it's not like anyone gave us much of a chance in 04.  I'm more concerned about the pen, in that throughout this series we stunk up the joint - but I think we'll be a handful in the playoffs.
    Posted by gr82bme

season series seems immaterial when the Yanks have more wins and may win the division. it's like winning the Al east and losing the ALCS. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

In Response to Yankees are a much better clutch hitting team than we are!!! : Living in the moment I see. So let's look at the stats. Here the BA of each team in some clutch categories: RISP: Boston .279; NYY .273 Men on: Boston .293; NYY .261 2 Outs, RISP: Boston .261; NYY .236 Late and Close: Boston .270; NYY .240 Tie Score: Boston .279; NYY .290 Behind: Boston .273; NYY .255. Hmmm -- want to rethink the title of your thread?
    Posted by royf19

What does BB say about stats? I agree and they mean nothing come playoff time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

In Response to Re: Yankees are a much better clutch hitting team than we are!!! : season series seems immaterial when the Yanks have more wins and may win the division. it's like winning the Al east and losing the ALCS. 
    Posted by Bralon

"it's like win ning the AL east and losing the ALCS."  Which the Yanks may very well do.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kamdog. Show Kamdog's posts

Face it fellas, the Sox and the Yanks are so close that it will come down to a bad hop, a lucky guess at the plate, a pitch that misses by an inch, or something like that.

Nobody is a lock to win or to lose, the Sox and the Yanks are the best of the whole AL, and there is not a dime's worth of difference between the two.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Nice post, Kamdog. 

My worry is, 1.5 games is going to be harder to make up than it appears on paper.  The one thing going for the Sox is that the Yanks still have a west coast trip left.

For Boston to win this division, they're going to have to play about .700 ball.  The Yanks are that good, or at least that consistent.  Sox score runs in bizarre outpourings.