Yankees are Evil,and proud of it

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Yankees are Evil,and proud of it

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB20001424127887323549204578320531185286140.html?ru=yahoo?mod=yahoo_itp

Fans of the New York Yankees might bristle when they hear their team referred to as the "Evil Empire." But the team itself doesn't seem to mind, at least judging from a recent legal dust-up over the phrase.

A panel of trademark judges in Washington, D.C., earlier this month denied a request from a private entrepreneur, known as Evil Enterprises, Inc., to register the trademark for the phrase "Baseballs Evil Empire."

Evil Enterprises wanted the exclusive right to market merchandise using that phrase, which was coined in regard to the Yankees by Larry Lucchino, the president and chief executive of the Boston Red Sox, back in 2002. Upon learning that the Yankees had signed sought-after Cuban pitcher Jose Contreras, Lucchino was widely reported as saying: "The evil empire extends its tentacles even into Latin America."

Evil Enterprises initially applied for a trademark back in July of 2008.

But the Yankees objected, arguing that they had the rights to the phrase—at least when used in connection with baseball.

Part of the Yankees' argument: a concession that in the baseball world, they are, in fact, the "Evil Empire." In its legal papers, the team referenced a number of articles from the past decade using the term in connection with the Yankees, and conceded that the team has "implicitly embraced" the "Evil Empire" theme by playing music from Star Wars during their home games.

The panel of judges sided with the Yankees, ruling that the Yankees are strongly associated with the phrase. Allowing anyone else to use the phrase exclusively would likely cause confusion, ruled the judges.

"In short, the record shows that there is only one Evil Empire in baseball and it is the New York Yankees," wrote the judges. "Accordingly, we find that [the Yankees] have a protectable trademark right in the term . . . as used in connection with baseball."

Gerard Dunne, a lawyer for Evil Enterprises, said he and his client had yet to figure out whether to appeal. "But we disagree with the opinion, because we don't think "Evil Empire" exclusively refers to the Yankees anymore," he said. "You've seen it used with the Phillies, the Rangers, and other teams."

Representatives for the Yankees didn't respond to request seeking comment.

When reached Friday, Lucchino said, "I give them credit. Their embracing it is clever indeed."

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Yankees are Evil,and proud of it

To paraphrase Coach Hoodie, you are what you are.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

To paraphrase Coach Hoodie, you are what you are.

"They are who we thought they were."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB20001424127887323549204578320531185286140.html?ru=yahoo?mod=yahoo_itp

Fans of the New York Yankees might bristle when they hear their team referred to as the "Evil Empire." But the team itself doesn't seem to mind, at least judging from a recent legal dust-up over the phrase.

A panel of trademark judges in Washington, D.C., earlier this month denied a request from a private entrepreneur, known as Evil Enterprises, Inc., to register the trademark for the phrase "Baseballs Evil Empire."

Evil Enterprises wanted the exclusive right to market merchandise using that phrase, which was coined in regard to the Yankees by Larry Lucchino, the president and chief executive of the Boston Red Sox, back in 2002. Upon learning that the Yankees had signed sought-after Cuban pitcher Jose Contreras, Lucchino was widely reported as saying: "The evil empire extends its tentacles even into Latin America."

Evil Enterprises initially applied for a trademark back in July of 2008.

But the Yankees objected, arguing that they had the rights to the phrase—at least when used in connection with baseball.

Part of the Yankees' argument: a concession that in the baseball world, they are, in fact, the "Evil Empire." In its legal papers, the team referenced a number of articles from the past decade using the term in connection with the Yankees, and conceded that the team has "implicitly embraced" the "Evil Empire" theme by playing music from Star Wars during their home games.

The panel of judges sided with the Yankees, ruling that the Yankees are strongly associated with the phrase. Allowing anyone else to use the phrase exclusively would likely cause confusion, ruled the judges.

"In short, the record shows that there is only one Evil Empire in baseball and it is the New York Yankees," wrote the judges. "Accordingly, we find that [the Yankees] have a protectable trademark right in the term . . . as used in connection with baseball."

Gerard Dunne, a lawyer for Evil Enterprises, said he and his client had yet to figure out whether to appeal. "But we disagree with the opinion, because we don't think "Evil Empire" exclusively refers to the Yankees anymore," he said. "You've seen it used with the Phillies, the Rangers, and other teams."

Representatives for the Yankees didn't respond to request seeking comment.

When reached Friday, Lucchino said, "I give them credit. Their embracing it is clever indeed."

The fans and Media are just plain stupid... The Yankees are evil... grow up !!... Stupid name calling.......Take your thumb out of your mouth......

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

The fans and Media are just plain stupid... The Yankees are evil... grow up !!... Stupid name calling.......Take your thumb out of your mouth......

Sense of humor much?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Now there's a mature response.You seem pretty thin skinned for a Yankee fan on a Red Sox board.

Why don't you let me know what your email address is and I'll Paypal you a dollar so you can buy a sense of humor.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

thanks LL, your royalty check is on the way ;)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from crix. Show crix's posts

George Lucas should sue the Yankees.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Sometimes things become so obvious, you just can't deny it. They're so evil, even they can see it. LOL

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

You mean Youklis & Aceves switched pitchforks for halos? 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Jeez, lighten up people. This thread started out as a joke.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Now there's a mature response.You seem pretty thin skinned for a Yankee fan on a Red Sox board.

Why don't you let me know what your email address is and I'll Paypal you a dollar so you can buy a sense of humor.

Now your pretty stupid thinking i'm a Yankee fan.... Just think that stupid name calling is childs play..  are you the evil guy at work or do your fellow workers hold up signs that say.. YOU SUCK ?  Now that would be funny......

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Now your pretty stupid thinking i'm a Yankee fan.... Just think that stupid name calling is childs play..  are you the evil guy at work or do your fellow workers hold up signs that say.. YOU SUCK ?  Now that would be funny......

"Now your pretty stupid thinking i'm a Yankee fan.... Just think that stupid name calling is childs play"

Ok,you say that "stupid name calling is child's play" right after you call me "stupid". 

It's ironic,don't you think?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Granderson will be out until early may with a broken forearm. 

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/8980685/curtis-granderson-new-york-yankees-breaks-forearm-may

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

"Now your pretty stupid thinking i'm a Yankee fan.... Just think that stupid name calling is childs play"

Ok,you say that "stupid name calling is child's play" right after you call me "stupid". 

OK..Sorry ... You are very smart .Just haven't grown up and continue to act like a chid. Yes there is smart kids and you could be one. Ireally hope you don't SUCK  at work.....But it's not up to me !

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5IQnQhzMSI

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

OK..Sorry ... You are very smart .Just haven't grown up and continue to act like a chid. Yes there is smart kids and you could be one. Ireally hope you don't SUCK  at work.....But it's not up to me !

Try reading the article again and you'll hopefully understand it's the Yankees who are fighting for the right to that phrase.

"the team has "implicitly embraced" the "Evil Empire" theme by playing music from Star Wars during their home games."

The Yankees like the phrase.If you have a problem with that,maybe you should email the Yankees front office and tell them how stupid and childish they are.

In the meantime,I''m done with this thread.It started out as something funny and turned into complete nonsense.

And people wonder why I don't post here too often now.

SMH.    

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

It started out as something funny and turned into complete nonsense.

that's the problem mr mojo

this donrd4's is just another one of those anti funners that creep around here

I don't think he's a nyy fan just a big time grump

just click on his name and look at his past posts

so how bout sending me that dollar ;-)

And people wonder why I don't post here too often now.

please don't give this guy the power to ruin things  for others

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to Polly-'s comment:

Why did thee Yankees go to court over this?

Nothing like the $ to make you claim the rights to anything; from what I understand, when Fenway played the EE Star Wars music back in the 90s, they didn't like it. Now they want (Admittedly, I didn't read the article, so I'll assume that's the case, at the very least through a subsidiary) to claim the rights to it. Pathetic.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Now let's see if That Was Me Babe cops to it as well.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

Now let's see if That Was Me Babe cops to it as well.

A little late to the show deputy fife I've been posting with this name here since 2004

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts