Yankees close to cquiring Alfonso Soriano

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Yankees close to cquiring Alfonso Soriano

.. Cubs fans close to rejoicing...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Re: Yankees close to cquiring Alfonso Soriano

Yanks are idiots if they do a move for Soriano in 4th place with a team going nowhere

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:

Yanks are idiots if they do a move for Soriano in 4th place with a team going nowhere

Oh yeah? Hafner replaced by Soriano is an upgrade.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

But they eat the money and will give up a pitching prospect and get margnally better.....yawn.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Yanks are idiots if they improve their team

my gawd what does that make U

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

Yanks are idiots if they improve their team

my gawd what does that make U

realistic

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

hows your math mr realistic

Jonah Keri ‏@jonahkeri 18m

Possibly the craziest stat of the year. Since 5/21, exactly 2 months ago, Yankees right-handed hitters have hit...3 home runs.

Soriano has hit 10 home runs in his last 21 games and was batting .286 in that stretch with six doubles, 21 RBIs and a 1.044 OPS, dating to June 28. He has homered in five of his last 14 games and ranks seventh among active players in career home runs with 389.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130725&content_id=54762224&vkey=news_chc&c_id=chc

does that make them better

or do you need more

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Possibly the craziest stat of the year. Since 5/21, exactly 2 months ago, Yankees right-handed hitters have hit...3 home runs.

Soriano has hit 10 home runs in his last 21 games and was batting .286 in that stretch with six doubles, 21 RBIs and a 1.044 OPS, dating to June 28. He has homered in five of his last 14 games and ranks seventh among active players in career home runs with 389.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130725&content_id=54762224&vkey=news_chc&c_id=chc

or do you need more

If you want math... here is the Pythagorean expectation for the Yankees

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/standings/

It states that the Yanks should have anywhere from 4-8 more losses than they currently have.  Simply put, they are not a good team this year.  The sox are .5-1.5 games over where they should be based on math.  I put a link to explain what the stat that Bill James made up means if you never heard of it.  One bat from a guy who can't crack a 300 OBP is not going to help the Yankees too much... there are too many holes this year to fill.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

It states that the Yanks should have anywhere from 4-8 more losses than they currently have.  Simply put, they are not a good team this year.  The sox are .5-1.5 games over where they should be based on math.  I put a link to explain what the stat that Bill James made up means if you never heard of it.

thanks but I have little interest in super stats

the goal at this time of yr is to get better

I see no merit in you calling them idiots for doing so

One bat from a guy who can't crack a 300 OBP is not going to help the Yankees too much... there are too many holes this year to fill.

yeah but if you add a sori today

a jeter in a few more days

and then a granderson

pretty soon you have a team that could hurt the sox ;-)

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The Yankees have been getting excellent pitching. Their offense has been lacking, to say the least.  Soriano improves their offense. He has 17 home runs and10 steals. A good deal for them if they don't give up much in return. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Marmol totally lights on the other night. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Good deal for the Yankees, if they're not giving up much or paying much to reacquire Soriano. He's a definite upgrade to a tepid offense. The Yankees have the pitching, they need more hitting. I don't care what the record "should be." I care what the record is. If we dealt in "should bes," then the Orioles wouldn't have been in the playoffs last year, the Blue Jays would be in first place this year and the Red Sox in last. Statistical projections are useful for determining when to make trades and who to sign in free agency. But the actual wins and losses on the field, the actual productivity of the players, are what ultimately matter. It's good to know whether a hitter has a high BABIP, for example, because you may not want to invest long-term in someone with fluke success. But high BABIP or not, the batting average is the batting average and if one guy is clearly producing at a higher level than another, then look at that too. Keep this simple: does Soriano improve the Yankees? At the right price, the answer to that question is a resounding yes; of course he's better than Hafner.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from drpjn. Show drpjn's posts

Given their current situation, adding Soriano could be a good move.

Let's be clear, however, about one thing:  The Yanks will come back and be in it to some degree.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

It states that the Yanks should have anywhere from 4-8 more losses than they currently have.  Simply put, they are not a good team this year.  The sox are .5-1.5 games over where they should be based on math.  I put a link to explain what the stat that Bill James made up means if you never heard of it.

thanks but I have little interest in super stats

the goal at this time of yr is to get better

I see no merit in you calling them idiots for doing so

One bat from a guy who can't crack a 300 OBP is not going to help the Yankees too much... there are too many holes this year to fill.

and then a granderson

You left out A-Rod.

Wouldn't he make the team better?

I know he's already made my week. LOL

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

and then a granderson

You left out A-Rod.

sad to say it would

yeah I can see where he could help

take other things off your mind

photo CrodileGuySwimmingfromStingRay.gif

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

and then a granderson

You left out A-Rod.

sad to say it would

yeah I can see where he could help

take other things off your mind

photo CrodileGuySwimmingfromStingRay.gif

The Sox being in first isn't exactly keeping me up at night.

I'll take being the chasee over the chaser anytime, thanks.

However, having to hope the Yankees actually win a few games this weekend is ruining my appetite...

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The Yankees are only 2.5 games behind the O's for the final playoff spot.  The Yankees have very good pitching and they need an offensive upgrade.  So I like their move to get Soriano.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to davidap's comment:

Good deal for the Yankees, if they're not giving up much or paying much to reacquire Soriano. He's a definite upgrade to a tepid offense. The Yankees have the pitching, they need more hitting. I don't care what the record "should be." I care what the record is. If we dealt in "should bes," then the Orioles wouldn't have been in the playoffs last year, the Blue Jays would be in first place this year and the Red Sox in last. Statistical projections are useful for determining when to make trades and who to sign in free agency. But the actual wins and losses on the field, the actual productivity of the players, are what ultimately matter. It's good to know whether a hitter has a high BABIP, for example, because you may not want to invest long-term in someone with fluke success. But high BABIP or not, the batting average is the batting average and if one guy is clearly producing at a higher level than another, then look at that too. Keep this simple: does Soriano improve the Yankees? At the right price, the answer to that question is a resounding yes; of course he's better than Hafner.

I dont think they have adequate starting pitching unless CC and AP can step things up. They've been mediocre in a lot of areas this year. Not unusual for CC with the workload hes carried the past 12 years. Besides Kuroda, the rest of the starters have been looking like 3-4-5 starters. Their bullpen has been their strong point and have won them a lot of games as well as MO having 33 saves. They had a lot of timely hitting and overachieving players at the start of the year as well (Wells, Hafner).

I think adding Soriano can only help the offense, but not a lot. He'll hit a few bombs, but thats about it. OBP is sub.300. Can Jeter and A-Rod stay healthy the rest of the way? Can Granderson come back after a bad wrist/hand injury and still hit for power? The NYY will be more of a threat if CC and Pettite step up some. If I were them, Id be looking at some starting pitching too if they want to truly compete. Either way, I never count the NYY out until they mathematically are.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from VA Sox Fan. Show VA Sox Fan's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Cubbies are paying most of the salary..... also I see a lot of Cub fans are sad to see him go. 

I'm not sure how everyone else missed out this detail. It's the only reason the Yankees got him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to edsam44's comment:

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

or do you need more

It states that the Yanks should have anywhere from 4-8 more losses than they currently have.  Simply put, they are not a good team this year.  The sox are .5-1.5 games over where they should be based on math.  I put a link to explain what the stat that Bill James made up means if you never heard of it.  One bat from a guy who can't crack a 300 OBP is not going to help the Yankees too much... there are too many holes this year to fill.

[/QUOTE]

I agree. ALL IT DOES is guarantee they have yet another old player they cannot move in 2014. One more year of oldness.

[/QUOTE]

if he can help beat the red sox ONCE (and it helps the rays/orioles)-then hes worth it!

[/QUOTE]

Wow.

Talk about lowered expectations... LOL