Yankees Expect a Bidding War over Elite WAR Ratings for 2012 FA Tim Wakefield

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Yankees Expect a Bidding War over Elite WAR Ratings for 2012 FA Tim Wakefield

My source tells me the Red Sox will not offer Wakefield a contract to pitch until age 46. Smart.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: Red Sox will not resign Wakefield

I agree, but it does appear Tek will be back... near certain I'd say.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

My source is me;) But, yes, it sadly appears as though varitek might be tendered. Salty is playing better, so Lavarnway would be nice to see to split time.

Varitek and Wakefield are like old GM employees. New guys are better, but they must have dirt on Henry. They both need to be "very gone" as loud Orsillo didn't say for Ellsbury's last cryer.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Does anyone here recommend trading Lav, as there is no room on the team for him with Tek on the cusp of inking another multi-year deal.

Our CA is set for the millennia. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Ellsbury is having an MVP caliber yr

No, Granderson, Bautista, Agon, CC are having an MVP caliber year.

Salty's recent improvement is quite nice. Varitek should not be given a 2012 roster spot.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: Red Sox will not resign Wakefield:
    [QUOTE]My source is me;) But, yes, it sadly appears as though varitek might be tendered. Salty is playing better, so Lavarnway would be nice to see to split time. Varitek and Wakefield are like old GM employees. New guys are better, but they must have dirt on Henry. They both need to be "very gone" as loud Orsillo didn't say for Ellsbury's last cryer.
    Posted by softylaw[/QUOTE]

People who complain about the backup catcher are generally at a point where they need a fulfill a desperate urge to complain, and they are going to find SOMETHING.

I have to wonder if he would be  happier with a younger catcher who was far worse at the job.  There are plenty of options out there whose only advantage over Varitek is age...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

notin, experience in talented youth pays dividends. Varitek is like Arnold Palmer shooting 90 at the Masters. Give it up! Transition has to made at some point. Lavarnway doesn't need to keep playing AAA ball another year. Give him his shot at being a catcher, Varitek can be pulled from the Rays for peanuts at anytime.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]Ellsbury is having an MVP caliber yr No, Granderson, Bautista, Agon, CC are having an MVP caliber year. Salty's recent improvement is quite nice. Varitek should not be given a 2012 roster spot.  
    Posted by softylaw[/QUOTE]

He absolutely deserves a chance to compete for one.  And if he does soe against the stock of typical backup catchers who rotate around the league, then he is likely to easily claim the spot for himself.

Lavarnway should NOT be the backup catcher for anything more than a small stretch.  It is never a good idea to allow prospects to waste time on the bench when that could be playing in the minors.  And in Lavaranway's case, there is some considerable defense he needs to work on that won't happen on the bench.

So, if it is not Lavarnway, and it should not be and more importantly, WON'T BE (Nook it), then who do you think should supplant Varitek and what is the advantage?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

Wakefield will be back.     It seems that every time the Sox have pitching rotation problems with injuries or otherwise, who gets the call ?    Wakefield.
    There's no pitchers in the farm system considered major league ready and the 2012 free agent pitchers that are good will get top money.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2001/04/potential-free-agents-for-2012.html

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Salty/Ted has been successful way beyond any reasonable expectation.  Could Salty have done as well catching 80 or 90% of the games?  Maybe, but most of us think the split has worked well for both players and especially the pitching staff. 

Were I Theo, I would be very tempted to give Tek another year.  Lavarnway has been hitting up a storm at Pawtucket, but he has yet to see a single MLB pitch.  And reportedly his catching skills are well below those of the current two.   So I would be inclined to plan on Salty/Tek.  Bring Lavarnway up this September for sure. 

Next year I would try to bring Lavarnway up early provided his hitting is still good, his catching skills are adequate, and there is room on the active roster.    For big chunks of this season Terry carried a ridiculous five outfielders (Ellsbury, Drew, Crawford, McDonald, and Cameron) and just one spare infielder, so carrying three catchers can be done.  And of course it would be two catchers if Salty or Tek got hurt. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Lavarnway should NOT be the backup catcher for anything more than a small stretch. It is never a good idea to allow prospects to waste time on the bench when that could be playing in the minors. And in Lavaranway's case, there is some considerable defense he needs

Catching is usually split-time work. Thus, Lavarnway would play enough if on the active roster.

You can't be serious in thinking there isn't a better option to a 40 year old Varitek. If Lavarnway can't handle split-time duty, landscape is full of younger veteran catchers who are good defenders and who swing a weak bat like Varitek.

Varitek would not compete. It would be gifted, as with Wakefield and his 5 plus ERA for over 2 years. Good ole boys don't compete.

Good news is these relics will be gone soon. Some people never like to give the stage to a younger person. And some fans and GM's don't want to let it go.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Lavarnway might not make it as a catcher on any level. 

This year's Sox aside. usually a catcher split is closer to 80%/20%.  Do you seriosuly think Lavarnway's bat will make up that much of a difference in the 100-120 PA role you are casting him in?  Why not let him develop as a hitter AND catcher capable of taking over as the 80% role?  Even if he does not work out defensively (which other teams actually do care about, even if you don't believe a catcher has any defensive contribution whatsoever), the Sox can still dangle him as trade bait to a team that needs a 1B/DH type.

If Lavarnway replaced Ortiz next season, which I suppose is possible, then the Sox still need a BUC.  So which of the one year league minimum type crowd that circulates MLB every season is a significantly better candidate than Varitek?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Good point, Notin. Lavarnway should do another year in AAA, to see if he can be a dh or MLB catcher in another 5 years.

No chance Varitek can be replaced. No better option for backup catcher. Don't look, just give Varitek a 3 year contract.

So, Notin, do you just wait until Varitek quits? Then go for the inferior "minimum" guys? What is your plan past another Varitek year?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]Lavarnway might not make it as a catcher on any level.  This year's Sox aside. usually a catcher split is closer to 80%/20%.  Do you seriosuly think Lavarnway's bat will make up that much of a difference in the 100-120 PA role you are casting him in?  Why not let him develop as a hitter AND catcher capable of taking over as the 80% role?  Even if he does not work out defensively (which other teams actually do care about, even if you don't believe a catcher has any defensive contribution whatsoever), the Sox can still dangle him as trade bait to a team that needs a 1B/DH type. If Lavarnway replaced Ortiz next season, which I suppose is possible, then the Sox still need a BUC.  So which of the one year league minimum type crowd that circulates MLB every season is a significantly better candidate than Varitek?
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Second time you asked him this question..lets see how he avoids it again...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Sorry Softy, but both 'tek and Wake will be resigned for next year if for no other reason than that they are the best option.

The good news for you is that sooner or later age catches up with all of us and they'll be gone.  THEN you can say, "I told you so".  It may be three or four years down the road, but I'm sure you'll be around in your 1,000,000th alias to remind us that "you predicted it"!  LOL

Tek will be here because he will still be offering what he's offering this year - the ability to be a mentor for an upcoming catcher and fill a backup role.  The split will be somewhere in the vicinity of 80/20 next year and IF Lavarnway progresses as we hope 'tek will be offered some kind of a management job in 2013 and Lav will take over 'Tek's spot, only as a student.  That's how smart organizations operate.

Wake will be back because ...well.. because even at his age he's going to be capable of doing what he's doing this year, Spot start, #6 guy (unless you believe that you CAN have too much pitching), innings eater, doing pretty much anything the organization asks him to do for the team.
    And besides that the FO wants him to be the all-time wins leader for the Sox, which he will get next year. 

But.... take heart.  Sooner or later they'll be gone and you WILL be right.  LOL

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Salty/Ted has been successful way beyond any reasonable expectation.  Could Salty have done as well catching 80 or 90% of the games?  Maybe, but most of us think the split has worked well for both players and especially the pitching staff.  Were I Theo, I would be very tempted to give Tek another year.  Lavarnway has been hitting up a storm at Pawtucket, but he has yet to see a single MLB pitch.  And reportedly his catching skills are well below those of the current two.   So I would be inclined to plan on Salty/Tek.  Bring Lavarnway up this September for sure.  Next year I would try to bring Lavarnway up early provided his hitting is still good, his catching skills are adequate, and there is room on the active roster.    For big chunks of this season Terry carried a ridiculous five outfielders (Ellsbury, Drew, Crawford, McDonald, and Cameron) and just one spare infielder, so carrying three catchers can be done.  And of course it would be two catchers if Salty or Tek got hurt. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

In this day and age for the need to carry more pitchers, I believe this is a dinosaur. Also, I predict Varitek and Wakefield shall be back next year, if not more; much to the chagrin of you know who.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Varitek isn't Posada. Varitek has 3 or 4 years left, according to one of his many girlfriends. Lock Tek up, 3 year deal.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

1) I thought softy never made "projections".
    2) At his current rate of projecting who signs FAs, the odds just went up that Wake will return.
    3) Wake will be 45 for most of next year, but it is nice to see softy finally realize that 44-46 is not 50.
    4) Not sure how "smart" it is not to re-sign a pitcher who leads his team to a 10-5 record thus far for only about $4M/yr. But then again, nobody ever said clowns were supposed to be smart.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

More of the same.

If Varitek wants to come back on a one year deal, I think the RS bring him back. Lavarnway can benefit from every day play still, which he'll get in AAA in 2012.

Wakefield would be back too, assuming he doesn't want to hang them up. If the RS have shown anything over the last two seasons it is they are willing to carry a relatively dead bullpen roster slot to have Wakefield as a spot starter and depth factor. And they have had to use that option both years.

But who knows. If the RS win it all both guys may decide it is a grand time to call it a career. Neither will have any regrets if they did. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

But who knows. If the RS win it all both guys may decide it is a grand time to call it a career. Neither will have any regrets if they did.

Then, we trade Jake for Kemp and all softy has to bash is CC.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Unless they decide to retire, I will be highly surprised if both Wake and Tek are not back next year.   They have both been invaluable to the team this year, IMO.   At what they cost the Red Sox, it's almost a no brainer.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Don't forget Jed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Ellsbury is having an MVP caliber yr

No, Granderson, Bautista, Agon, CC are having an MVP caliber year.

Won't even disagree on Bautista, Agon or CC you have to add Weaver, Beckett and most of all Verlander.

However................
    If Ellsbury is not and Granderson is how do you qualify that? Granderson is only hitting 275 yes a bunch of HRs & RBI but everything else is what he has done is equal to what he did in the past. Except of course last year. Plus he has 120Ks 25% of the time he Ks.
    He is not even the best hitter on the NYYs.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

There's a third option: sign him before arb.

I suggest a lifetime services contract offer, so he can coach when he retires.