1. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Re: Yankees in Decline

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The thing(s) that should make MFY fans worry this year is the possibility of injury. They have a number of players in the 34-38 range, and injuries are more likely at that age. I believe they will get some pitching, but what will CC be? Will Kuroda fall off a cliff like he did this past Aug/Sept? Will Pienda actually pitch? what is Ivan Nova?

Like the Sox last year, thre MFY have a ton of ?'s. With that said, Im sure they will go over the LT (they're at the limit right now) and will do what they can to compete.

Its going to be a harsh reality that you cant just throw $$ at the problem and fix it anymore. 22M to Ells was flat out stupid for 7 years. You cant survive making those kind of deals anymore. They say they are NY and cant have a rebuilding year. I say, take the loss and get everything in order because what were seeing now is just going to be a vicious circle if you dont get a lot more help from the farm. They are going to be spending so much more in taxes every year. More than they would lose if they didnt make the playoffs in a couple years. HAVE to have a good farm in todays MLB. Sure, its going to hurt now, but it will pay off for years to come.

Just my opinion.

[/QUOTE]

how did U come up with that 777

or is that just an educated guess

[/QUOTE]

Just a guess zac.

I believe they are about at the limit with only 15 or so players. Every team needs good depth players and complimentary players. Guys like Ellsbury making 22M, Tex at 22.5 for long years into their late 30's and so on, doesnt leave much meat on the bone for those important depth/complimentary guys.

Like I said, I could be wrong, but I just dont see how you can tie up all that $$ for long years and still have enough to field a well-rounded team AND stay under the LT. Thats why I stress having a strong farm with good young controllable players is so vital in todays MLB. Its a dangerous game signing guys in their 30's to long term long years contracts. A couple are Ok, but there has to be a better balance between FA to fill the holes and young players the organization develops. To me, the NYY are not balanced as they are mostly leaning on expensive FA to field a team, and with lengthy contracts.

[/QUOTE]

..and to continue that thought, what they are doing is a self-perpetuating process.  As these FA's get older it's reasonable to assume that at least a few of them are going to get injured and miss large parts of seasons.  Without a good farm system the next year they'll have to rush out and sign another FA to fill the gap created by the injured FA. 

As to their claim that they "lost" $30-$40M by not making the playoffs", it's a nebulous claim at best.  A more accurate way of putting it would be that they failed to make an additional $30-$40M.  That puts them in the company of every other team who failed to make the playoffs so I can't feel all that badly for them. 

I have no doubt that there's more money to be made by fielding a winning team than by fielding a losing team.  The difference is that the Yankees have been able to absorb a "loss" like that and keep on truckin' while the smaller market teams couldn't.  They're now (apparently) beginning to deal with reality.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The thing(s) that should make MFY fans worry this year is the possibility of injury. They have a number of players in the 34-38 range, and injuries are more likely at that age. I believe they will get some pitching, but what will CC be? Will Kuroda fall off a cliff like he did this past Aug/Sept? Will Pienda actually pitch? what is Ivan Nova?

Like the Sox last year, thre MFY have a ton of ?'s. With that said, Im sure they will go over the LT (they're at the limit right now) and will do what they can to compete.

Its going to be a harsh reality that you cant just throw $$ at the problem and fix it anymore. 22M to Ells was flat out stupid for 7 years. You cant survive making those kind of deals anymore. They say they are NY and cant have a rebuilding year. I say, take the loss and get everything in order because what were seeing now is just going to be a vicious circle if you dont get a lot more help from the farm. They are going to be spending so much more in taxes every year. More than they would lose if they didnt make the playoffs in a couple years. HAVE to have a good farm in todays MLB. Sure, its going to hurt now, but it will pay off for years to come.

Just my opinion.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Just a guess zac.

I believe they are about at the limit with only 15 or so players. Every team needs good depth players and complimentary players. Guys like Ellsbury making 22M, Tex at 22.5 for long years into their late 30's and so on, doesnt leave much meat on the bone for those important depth/complimentary guys.

Like I said, I could be wrong, but I just dont see how you can tie up all that $$ for long years and still have enough to field a well-rounded team AND stay under the LT. Thats why I stress having a strong farm with good young controllable players is so vital in todays MLB. Its a dangerous game signing guys in their 30's to long term long years contracts. A couple are Ok, but there has to be a better balance between FA to fill the holes and young players the organization develops. To me, the NYY are not balanced as they are mostly leaning on expensive FA to field a team, and with lengthy contracts.

[/QUOTE]

..and to continue that thought, what they are doing is a self-perpetuating process.  As these FA's get older it's reasonable to assume that at least a few of them are going to get injured and miss large parts of seasons.  Without a good farm system the next year they'll have to rush out and sign another FA to fill the gap created by the injured FA. 

As to their claim that they "lost" $30-$40M by not making the playoffs", it's a nebulous claim at best.  A more accurate way of putting it would be that they failed to make an additional $30-$40M.  That puts them in the company of every other team who failed to make the playoffs so I can't feel all that badly for them. 

I have no doubt that there's more money to be made by fielding a winning team than by fielding a losing team.  The difference is that the Yankees have been able to absorb a "loss" like that and keep on truckin' while the smaller market teams couldn't.  They're now (apparently) beginning to deal with reality.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, I should have put lost in quotes, because what you said is exactly what I meant.

The ticket sales, viewers on the YES network, etc., are the lost profits from not making the post season. So if they keep throwing gobs of $$ at it instead of concentrating on the farm, and still dont make the playoffs, they will have spent more to be in the exact same place.

Im not saying they wont make the playoffs, but there is certainly a better way of going about it IMHO.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Just my opinion.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Just a guess zac.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, I should have put lost in quotes, because what you said is exactly what I meant.

The ticket sales, viewers on the YES network, etc., are the lost profits from not making the post season. So if they keep throwing gobs of $$ at it instead of concentrating on the farm, and still dont make the playoffs, they will have spent more to be in the exact same place.

Im not saying they wont make the playoffs, but there is certainly a better way of going about it IMHO.

[/QUOTE]
    As I said a week or so ago, they're playing a very dangerous game by doing what they're doing.  The only way they can generate the revenue to support the salaries they're paying is by winning.  If the team stops winning and people stay away this plan fails because there's not enough money to meet expenses, and I see a fair chance of that happening.

While I confess that given the history between the Y's and the Sox I'd take a certain amount of personal satisfaction from that, at the same time that would be bad for baseball. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

The article is accurate, unbiased, and well done. The writer is part of the staff of Baseball Prospectus, who IMO is the best talent evaluator out there; you will notice that ML, SB & BA have similar prospect rankings, but BP is usually much different, uncovering hidden gems, and in general is much better with their assessments, which border on novel and ground breaking.  However, this article is not really news.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to MikeNagy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

thread # 10...this oughtta be good :-)

[/QUOTE]

Hey Jete, no need to even play the games, the yanks aren't going nowhere. Tongue Out

The sox weren't going anywhere last year before the season started.

I believe the Nationals and Blue Jays were going to duke it out in the World Series.

Where is Smiley when you need him?

[/QUOTE]

funny stuff.  Even with the players who they lost, Jacoby has to give them at least 5 more wins and possibly cost the sox a few wins with his loss.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to steven11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

funny stuff.  Even with the players who they lost, Jacoby has to give them at least 5 more wins and possibly cost the sox a few wins with his loss.

[/QUOTE]

5 more wins compared to last years total?  you thinki Jake makes them a 90 win team?? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Too much dead-wood on the Yankee team. Their infield is a mess. There's the mill stone around their necks known as A-Rod...Deter Jeter has as much range at SS now as I do...who's at 2nd??...what can they expect from Mark Teixeira, who is now 33, after two seasons in which he played 123 games, and 15 games? Worse yet...the Yanks are stuck paying Tex $22.5 mil., $29 mil., for A-Rod, and $12mil. for Jeter. That's a combined $63.5 mil. for these three over the hill players...Yikes!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to steven11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

5 more wins compared to last years total?  you thinki Jake makes them a 90 win team?? 

[/QUOTE]

The sox prove last year anything can happen.  This is why the games are played.  85 wins with all the injuries the yankees had wasn't bad. The sox went relatively injury free last season.  90 wins for the yankees next season is something I hope does not happen but something i would never bet against.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I think the Yankees have a decent shot in 2014 - their offense will certainly be much better.  A lot has to go right with their pitching, but it's not hard to imagine Sabathia bouncing back, Pineda pitching very well, and Nova and Kuroda having seasons like last year.  No doubt they will miss Rivera.

It's also not hard to imagine the Rays without David Price winning 5 or 6 fewer games.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I read this mornings MLBTR's with glee, the Yankees plan A isn't coming to america... good luck with the big 3 CC, Kuroded and shooting star Nova. I know Jimenez,Garza and Santana are having dreams of yankees millions coming their way. They can't even trade with the two teams that have the pitching depth able to trade with both being their rivals, TB and the Sox.

Simply put it just sucks to be a yankee fan right about now! How old is this team? Ells is going to be 31 on opening day, Beltran will finish this season at 37, McCann 30,CC 35,Jete 38,Arod 39, oh well you get the message, not a good sign for their future either becase they don't have a draft pick until round 4 this season and that could change if they sign either Jimenez or Santana. The future is bleek and that's with a ray of hope!!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

As I said a week or so ago, they're playing a very dangerous game by doing what they're doing.  The only way they can generate the revenue to support the salaries they're paying is by winning.  If the team stops winning and people stay away this plan fails because there's not enough money to meet expenses, and I see a fair chance of that happening.

While I confess that given the history between the Y's and the Sox I'd take a certain amount of personal satisfaction from that, at the same time that would be bad for baseball. 

[/QUOTE]

I'm not so sure of that.  The Astros were the most profitable team last year in MLB and they were terrible.  Now that is bad for baseball, but the Yanks will generate plenty of revenue regardless... they will just generate more if they win. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

I read this mornings MLBTR's with glee, the 1) Yankees plan A isn't coming to america... good luck with the big 3 CC, Kuroded and shooting star Nova. I know Jimenez,Garza and Santana are having dreams of yankees millions coming their way. They can't even trade with the two teams that have the pitching depth able to trade with both being their rivals, TB and the Sox.

Simply put it just 2)sucks to be a yankee fan right about now! How old is this team? Ells is going to be 31 on opening day, Beltran will finish this season at 37, McCann 30,CC 35,Jete 38,Arod 39, oh well you get the message, not a good sign for their future either becase 3)they don't have a draft pick until round 4 this season and that could change if they sign either Jimenez or Santana. The future is bleek and that's with a ray of hope!!!!!

probably wrong

definitly wrong

most definitly wrong

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The article is accurate, unbiased, and well done. The writer is part of the staff of Baseball Prospectus, who IMO is the best talent evaluator out there; you will notice that ML, SB & BA have similar prospect rankings, but BP is usually much different, uncovering hidden gems, and in general is much better with their assessments, which border on novel and ground breaking.  However, this article is not really news.

[/QUOTE]

He's a terrific prognosticator. Under the article where his most recent pieces are  listed:
    #3) "Why The Cardinals Will Win the Series"

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm not so sure of that.  The Astros were the most profitable team last year in MLB and they were terrible.  Now that is bad for baseball, but the Yanks will generate plenty of revenue regardless... they will just generate more if they win. 

[/QUOTE]
    Well...ok, but part of the thing that made them the most profitable team last year was that $24.3M total salary - dead last in the league and almost exactly what the Yankees will pay CC Sabathia alone in 2014. 

If you compare the $24.3M total salary of the Astros with the Yankees total salary of almost 10X that ($229M, give or take $55) it's easy to see that it's a lot easier for the Astros to make money. 

The Yankees NEED that revenue.  The Astros would LIKE to have it.  There's a big difference.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to slomag's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think the Yankees have a decent shot in 2014 - their offense will certainly be much better.  A lot has to go right with their pitching, but it's not hard to imagine Sabathia bouncing back, Pineda pitching very well, and Nova and Kuroda having seasons like last year.  No doubt they will miss Rivera.

It's also not hard to imagine the Rays without David Price winning 5 or 6 fewer games.

[/QUOTE]

You're way more optimistic than I am.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You are pathetic.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You are pathetic.

[/QUOTE]

TWM...Hey, old friend.  I hope things are well with you.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You are pathetic.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Merry Xmas Amp!!!

Decorated the house tonight.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

To claim the Yanks are in decline is to be in a state of ignorance about the economics of baseball. Yes, losing Rivera and Pettite I would add, will hurt them in those postseason situations where they were a lock. But other than that, they have the money to spend and will find a way to spend it. They may have a tough year or two but they'll be back before you know it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Amp,

And congrats on your butt kicking team of 2013. The best in he game. :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You are pathetic.

[/QUOTE]

Nice infantile response. Did U read the article? I'm going to guess no.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You are pathetic.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Infantile? I did read it chicken little.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You are pathetic.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Infantile? I did read it chicken little.

[/QUOTE]

Namecalling? See my previous post.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You are pathetic.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Merry Xmas Amp!!!

Decorated the house tonight.

[/QUOTE]

COOL!!!  The next picture should be of him defecating on the US.  It's exactly what he's doing....and making us pay to endure it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

[QUOTE]

Amp,

And congrats on your butt kicking team of 2013. The best in he game. :)

[/QUOTE]

Thanks...What was nice is that it was a true team effort.  I think Ben C. is putting a little emphasis on team character.

A very Merry Christmas to you and yours.