Yankees officially worried about Pineda

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda

In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : To say Catricala has matched Lavarnway is a stretch - he's put up similar numbers, but at AA, rather than AAA.  He's an exciting prospect, and if he performs as well at the next level I would agree with you offensively.   But, of course, putting up offensive numbers at C is far more rare (and valuable) than doing the same at 3B.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]
    Ryan Lavarnway, who has played only 78 games above Double A, had played only 44 games as high as Double A when he was Catricala's current age.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : Ryan Lavarnway, who has played only 78 games above Double A, had played only 44 games as high as Double A when he was Catricala's current age.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Catricala, who has played only 62 games above A, cannot be said to have 'matched' a player's success in AAA, any more than Lavarnway could be said to have 'matched' Miguel Cabrera last year. Just ask Montero if AAA is harder than AA.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]Let's go back to the OP content. It is a shame how so many posters love to hijack the thread and go off on a tangent, If you are a closet Yankee fan then start your own threads instead of ruining those of genuine Red Sox fans who are just coming to their own Red Sox Forum. Aren't there any Yankee Forums tht Yankee fans should go to.  Why no answers to such a simple question?
    Posted by lowelll[/QUOTE]

pike, did you forget to log in as your kimsaysthis persona when you posted this?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : pike, did you forget to log in as your kimsaysthis persona when you posted this?
    Posted by TBINFL[/QUOTE]

Wow - that is almost verbatum of what KST would say. I am not drawing final conclusions - better get back to the Perry Mason marathon.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Uh-oh.  It is tough to be deemed a bust in a big market!  He will face loads of annoying reporters until a 95 goes up on the board, esp. if Montero starts well.

“It’s not as good as last year,’’ the scout said of Pineda’s fastball, which topped out at 93 mph yesterday but sat at 90 with a few 88s mixed in. “The fastball has no life.’’

Ever since his first outing March 5 against the Phillies, Pineda has been hounded about the lack of velocity, though there was a significant drop already in the second half of last season, when his fastball went from 97 mph to the low 90s.

Was it the extra 10 pounds Pineda admitted to gaining since the end of last year? Could it be the effects of a jump of 31 2/3 innings from his 2010 season in the minor leagues to 171 last year in the big leagues? Or is the cut fastball the culprit?

“Some guys fall in love with the cutter and they lose velocity,’’ said the scout, who explained that some of Pineda’s pitches cut naturally.

In five innings, Pineda gave up five hits, a run, walked two and fanned four. In five spring outings, Pineda is 1-0 with a 3.31 ERA and has allowed 17 hits and seven walks in 16 1/3 innings with 16 strikeouts.

“I had a good fastball — 92 to 94 is not an easy fastball,’’ Pineda said of the gun readings on the YES telecast. “I am throwing more changeups, and I feel very comfortable right now. I understand everybody knows I threw harder [last year] and what happened. I feel good and I am pitching every five days.’’

Martin was impressed with the 23-year-old right-hander’s location.

“To me, pitching is about location,’’ Martin said. “The harder you throw, you can get away with more mistakes.’’

Maybe adding the changeup, which is improving, can help Pineda work effectively. But in the bigger picture, the Yankees had to expect a bigger arm when they sent Jesus Montero to Seattle.

“Right now I see a guy who can pitch in the bottom of the rotation with the stuff he had,’’ the scout said. “I am sure that’s not what the Yankees expected, and if I was them I would be disappointed.’’

george.king@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/not_so_fast_8EwyGlrUP0FfoAabbEZJ2K#ixzz1qGQyRbJG

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness-envy. Show harness-envy's posts

Seattle is an odd place for sure.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Pineda of 2011 with a whip of 1.099 and a so/9 of 9.1 over 171 IP at the tender age of 22, was a dominating elite pitcher. The Pineda of the spring of 2012 has not shown the same type of stuff. That can not be argued. Multiple reports had him hitting the mid to high nineties a year ago. Is he just rounding into shape like most yanks believe or could we be seeing the Verducci effect??? IP 2006:20.1   2007:59     2008:138.1   2009:47.1[missed part of the year with sore elbow]  2010:139   2011:171                                                                                                    In 07,08,10 and 11 his workload increased by more than the 30 inning increase that Verducci refers to.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

http://itsaboutthemoney.net/archives/2012/03/26/time-to-stop-worrying-about-velocity/

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : Do you have a link to one report that suggested that the Mariners wanted Jacoby Ellsbury straight up for Michael Pineda? Rumors in Seattle were that Seattle GM Jack Zduriencik would trade Pineda only for Jesus Montero, Brett Lawrie, Giancarlo Stanton or a fourth player (and Ellsbury would be unlikely to be the fourth given his advanced age and limited years of team control). Brian McCann was a two-time All Star before his 24th birthday while Ryan Lavarway has played only 78 games above Double A as the Sox prospect approaches his 25th birthday in August. McCann was Baseball America's 44th-ranked prospect as a 21-year-old while Lavarnway has never been a BA Top 100 prospect. When do we usually see "blockbuster" trades? News of the Jesus Montero/Michael Pineda trade leaked out on January 13, although the trade did not become official until 10 days later. It was a gusty move as each side took significant risks in trading from organizational depth to address immediate needs. Each team may reap long-term benefits.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Didn't you post on a thread over the weekend about Saltalamachia getting an unfair advantage due to his medicine for ADD? Did you realize that over 120 MLB players have been cleared to take that medicine? Salty hasn't really been that productive so why is this an issue to you? What is your vendetta about? It makes no sense?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

Your post linked to WHAT information? Why did you link to it? What was the motive besides being "interesting".  Why would you wish to put Salty into a bad light?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smelly-Behind2817. Show Smelly-Behind2817's posts

In Response to; Yankees officially worried about Pineda:
    [QUOTE]Guys, it looks like Smiley was right on about the latest Yankee phenom's velocity. Another start where he is only throwing 89-91. The Yankee brass is now officially concerned. It seems clear there is some type of injury. Come July when he is on the DL, the Yankees are going to miss Montero's bat in the middle of that aging lineup.
    Posted by Smileys_Back[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smelly-Behind2817. Show Smelly-Behind2817's posts

In Response to; Yankees officially worried about Pineda:
    [QUOTE]Guys, it looks like Smiley was right on about the latest Yankee phenom's velocity. Another start where he is only throwing 89-91. The Yankee brass is now officially concerned. It seems clear there is some type of injury. Come July when he is on the DL, the Yankees are going to miss Montero's bat in the middle of that aging lineup.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smelly-Behind2817. Show Smelly-Behind2817's posts

In Response to Yankees officially worried about Pineda:

Sections
Shortcuts