Yankees officially worried about Pineda

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda

In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda:
    [QUOTE]Pineda's ballooning weight over the past couple years seems to now be accompanied by a AAA fastball -- another Phil Hughes in progress. As usual, Cashman knows pitching. Too bad for him that Steinbrenner Jr. seems to be slightly closing the purse strings, which may limit the stud's ability to buy his way out of yet another talent misjudgment.
    Posted by bald-predictions[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Bartolo Colon  impressed the A's yesterday, throwing 52 pitches, 39 for strikes.  He is slated to be their starting pitcher in game #2 of the regular season. AJ Burnett had been scheduled to be the Pirates opening day starting pitcher, Bartolo Colon is slated to be the A's starting pitcher in game #2 of the regular season and I think I read that Noesi might be the Mariners' starting pitcher in their third game of the season.   The Yankees are stocking the rest of the league with top-of-the-rotation pitchers.
    Posted by bald-predictions[/QUOTE]

However, I believe you're exaggerating here

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : OK, you backed it up. I apologize
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

On the other hand the article and link that I posted from this morning's NY Post article on Pineda, Cashman is nothing but Laudatory with high hopes and praise for the kid.

It's here somewhere.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

And Hughes with a good outing today v the Twins line up which included Morneau and Mauer. He sat at 92-93, a good sign for him this early.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : I tend to think they will probably give Jaso a lions share of the catching but Montero has been hot with the bat put one off the centerfield wall last night. One thing about Montero is he goes with the pitch and doesn't try to pull or do too much with it but he doesn't have to with power to all fields. I think he's going to be a great hitter.
    Posted by ThatWasMe[/QUOTE]
    John Jaso has started at catcher in only two the Seattle's first eight Spring Training games (and made two other appearances in relief). Jaso, who is 0-for-8 this spring, will battle Adam Moore and Guillermo Quiroz to back up Miguel Olivo and Jesus Montero at catcher.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : On the other hand the article and link that I posted from this morning's NY Post article on Pineda, Cashman is nothing but Laudatory with high hopes and praise for the kid. It's here somewhere.

Sorry TWM, but of course he has high praises; if Pineda flames out, and Montero becomes the next Jimmie Foxx, he'll have a lot of egg on his face (Not that he hasn't before). That's why he may be worried.

Also, IMO the NYP is not my idea of insightful reporting. The Daily News, admittedly, is only a little better.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Cashman in this mornings NY Post. Doesn't sound like concern, more like a plan.

“We did not feel we acquired an instant No. 2 that’s ready to go,’’ Cashman said. “We felt we acquired a big arm that has a lot of talent, a lot of upside, that’s what we’re excited about, a long-term asset. Just like if we didn’t acquire him, [Jesus] Montero was a long-term asset that we felt over time would gravitate to some really special things. Just change the names and the positions.’’

Pineda went 2 2/3 innings, allowed four hits, one run. He walked three and struck out one.

Pineda admitted: “I’m conserving my energy a little bit.’’

This is a process, but know this about the 6-foot-7 Pineda: One Yankee said that when Pineda works drills in the weight room, “He’s the strongest guy in the room. When he turns it on, he is amazing.’’

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/see_believe_laQj5d9H01zQyKdNYALnaJ#ixzz1oqBl2KJz

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : Sorry TWM, but of course he has high praises; if Pineda flames out, and Montero becomes the next Jimmie Foxx, he'll have a lot of egg on his face (Not that he hasn't before). That's why he may be worried. Also, IMO the NYP is not my idea of insightful reporting. The Daily News, admittedly, is only a little better.

I tend to disagree. The only good Yankee beat writer left at the NY Daily News is Mark Feinsand.

Bill Maddon used to be decent when he had an in with the old man. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : Sorry TWM, but of course he has high praises; if Pineda flames out, and Montero becomes the next Jimmie Foxx, he'll have a lot of egg on his face (Not that he hasn't before). That's why he may be worried. Also, IMO the NYP is not my idea of insightful reporting. The Daily News, admittedly, is only a little better.

I tend to agree with you in that I didn't like the trade either.

But it's just too early for all these doomsday scenarios in early March.

Talk to me in November.

NY beat writers have to write, Red Sox fans have to hope that its true.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : I tend to disagree. The only good Yankee beat writer left at the NY Daily News is Mark Feinsand. Bill Maddon used to be decent when he had an in with the old man. 

Interestig framing; you say you disagree in a way that implies my entire post. And I always thought Lupica was pretty good, albeit a little overrated; but hey; image is everything.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : Interestig framing; you say you disagree in a way that implies my entire post. And I always thought Lupica was pretty good, albeit a little overrated; but hey; image is everything.

Lupica is a malignant dwarf and a Met fan who rarely misses an opportunity to rip the Yankees.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : I tend to agree with you in that I didn't like the trade either. But it's just too early for all these doomsday scenarios in early March. Talk to me in November. NY beat writers have to write, Red Sox fans have to hope that its true.

I stand corrected; but Casman's track record with pitching is worrisome; honestly; did you expect Aceves to outperform Soriano last year? And why did they cut him? Llet's not forget the 2 dozen major flubs from the past 15 yrs also; and don't tell me about Sabathia, because that was a no-brainer, and even he's a little less than expected.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Myself I thought the Yankees needed Montero in the line-up more than they needed Pineda in the rotation.

But what do I know?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : Lupica is a malignant dwarf and a Met fan who rarely misses an opportunity to rip the Yankees.

Name calling never hammers the point home, and does just the opposite; and, I partly disagree.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : I stand corrected; but Casman's track record with pitching is worrisome; honestly; did you expect Aceves to outperform Soriano last year? And why did they cut him? Llet's not forget the 2 dozen major flubs from the past 15 yrs also; and don't tell me about Sabathia, because that was a no-brainer, and even he's a little less than expected.

They didn't cut Aceves, because of his back history and that he rejected off season surgery coupled with the bicycle accident they offered him a minor league contract.

They offered the same deal to Chien Ming Wang after he was injured.

He like Aceves rejected the offer for greener pastures.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : They didn't cut Aceves, because of his back history and that he rejected off season surgery coupled with the bicycle accident they offered him a minor league contract. They offered the same deal to Chien Ming Wang after he was injured. He like Aceves rejected the offer for greener pastures.

Practically the same difference

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : I stand corrected; but Casman's track record with pitching is worrisome; honestly; did you expect Aceves to outperform Soriano last year? And why did they cut him? Llet's not forget the 2 dozen major flubs from the past 15 yrs also; and don't tell me about Sabathia, because that was a no-brainer, and even he's a little less than expected.

I didn't like the Soriano signing and giving him closer money and I also felt they didn't give Mark Melancon a real shot.

Sure Melancon was up for awhile but was never given consistent opportunities where he could establish some degree of confidence in MLB.

They shipped him for Lance Berkman who came to NY to ride the bench.

Mark Melancon was lights out in the Yankee farm system. David Robertson was his set-up man.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : I didn't like the Soriano signing and giving him closer money and I also felt they didn't give Mark Melancon a real shot. Sure Melancon was up for awhile but was never given consistent opportunities where he could establish some degree of confidence in MLB. They shipped him for Lance Berkman who came to NY to ride the bench. Mark Melancon was lights out in the Yankee farm system. David Robertson was his set-up man.

They were p-ssed at Melancon when he headhunted a RS batter on his own; he was sent down soon after, and never recovered after that in their eyes; now he's on the RS; ironic to say the least

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : Practically the same difference

Not exactly. Wang has yet to regain the same posture that he had before being injured.

Aceves to me is quite amazing the book on him was a bulging disc but it sure looks like it is in relapse.

They also shipped Zach McAllister to Cleveland for a rental in Austin Kearns.

McAllister was drafted in 2006 with Kennedy, Chamberlain, Melancon, Robertson and Betances. He is more than likely up for a spot in the Cleveland rotation he was one of the top arms in their system last season.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

I'm pulling for Mark Melancon, I followed him all through the minors.

I just hope he has bad nights against the Yankees.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

I might see Wang I'm going down to the Nats-Yankees on June 15 in Washington.

Should be a good series.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : Not exactly. Wang has yet to regain the same posture that he had before being injured. Aceves to me is quite amazing the book on him was a bulging disc but it sure looks like it is in relapse. They also shipped Zach McAllister to Cleveland for a rental in Austin Kearns. McAllister was drafted in 2006 with Kennedy, Chamberlain, Melancon, Robertson and Betances. He is more than likely up for a spot in the Cleveland rotation he was one of the top arms in their system last season.

What does Wang have to do with Aceves? Give me a break.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

And another promising pitcher for a temp utility pick-me up (Kearns)? Go, Cashman

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : What does Wang have to do with Aceves? Give me a break.

What does Wang have to do with Aceves?

The last season Aceves pitched for the Yankees (2010) he had chronic back problems the entire season and pitched only 12 innings, he sat out the post season.

He was diagnosed with a bulging disc and then refused off season surgery.

The Yankees considered him to be injured like Wang.

That's why Wang and he were offered minor league contracts, because of the risk involved.

Sections
Shortcuts