Yankees officially worried about Pineda

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda

In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda:
    Does anyone actually know what Pineda's velocity last S.T. ?  As usual, this seems to be all a bit about nothing and Cashman just playing the game.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Keith Law of ESPN Insider also noted that at the same time last year, Pineda was averaging between 93 and 96 mph,

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

http://networkedblogs.com/v4DyI

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : Lupica is actually a Red Sox fan...grew up that way and went to Boston College
    Posted by thepeskypole6

That explains his deep seated Yankee bias.

Still is a malignant dwarf though.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : Ryan Lavarnway would rank just below 23-year-old Vinnie Catricala on the Seattle depth chart of hitting prospects. Over the past two seasons Jason Vargas ranks 26th among American League pitchers with 5 Wins Above Replacement. What are the chances that Lavarnway posts a career WAR of 5?
    Posted by hill55

Hill seriously?  You actually believe in minor league player rankings even with their past history.  Lets have this discussion once Lav makes the big club because I personally would never give up Lav for Pineda even straight up.  The Yankees will regret giving up Montero trust me.  Neither Martin or Cervelli will ever have the career he will, or Posada did. 

Career WAR?  Again we are talking about a kid who had most of us remembering Pudge last season.  He will improve defensively just like it took Tek a few years to do as a rookie.  I also predict Teks "game calling skills" will be short lived after this season even with Kelly and Salty running the show.

Friendly bet?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : In his first two spring training starts (including today's game), Pineda's fastball has been topping out at 93 miles per hour, but more consistently 91 and 92 mph. That's down quite about 3-4 mph from his gun readings last season. Cashman said the Yankees have data that shows Pineda's readings last spring were usually in the 89-90 mph range. "And then he was averaging around 94 during the season. So you don't read into it too much."
    Posted by pinstripezac

I never do - that was why I thought I would bring some logic and reason here. Power pitchers do not start their first couple of games in S.T. throwing full speed. One has to build-up arm strength first. I am very happy about Hughes so far. his velocity this spring has been topping 91 mph which at least for the moment sounds like he is moving back into 2010 mode.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : Hill seriously?  You actually believe in minor league player rankings even with their past history.  Lets have this discussion once Lav makes the big club because I personally would never give up Lav for Pineda even straight up.  The Yankees will regret giving up Montero trust me.  Neither Martin or Cervelli will ever have the career he will, or Posada did.  Career WAR?  Again we are talking about a kid who had most of us remembering Pudge last season.  He will improve defensively just like it took Tek a few years to do as a rookie.  I also predict Teks "game calling skills" will be short lived after this season even with Kelly and Salty running the show. Bet?
    Posted by craze4sox

Everything I have read about Pineda tells me that this will be a plus trade for both teams. Montero had no position with the Yankees unless there was a possibility of moving A-Rod off the team after this year. And the Yankees needed to go strong on young starters.

There is no way to determine if Montero will be the next Piazza (Big hitting catcher) or Ken Phelps (DH his entire career).

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : Everything I have read about Pineda tells me that this will be a plus trade for both teams. Montero had no position with the Yankees unless there was a possibility of moving A-Rod off the team after this year. And the Yankees needed to go strong on young starters. There is no way to determine if Montero will be the next Piazza (Big hitting catcher) or Ken Phelps (DH his entire career).
    Posted by jesseyeric

I agree Jessey, just like using Lavs lifetime War as a kid "like Hill" did makes absolutely no sense.  Tek was mediocre at best his first few seasons defensively and never had the plate discipline Lav already has so this will be a very interesting situation to watch.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

There's gotta be a better nickname for Lavarnway than Lav or Lavs.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

: L-WAY Posted by J-BAY after watching his  non play in the 9th that almost lost the game perhaps O'lay
    Posted by pinstripezac

LOL Zac, Went to add R-WAY and deleted instead of edit. We need one for the game threads

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

: L-WAY Posted by J-BAY after watching his  non play in the 9th that almost lost the game perhaps O'lay
    Posted by pinstripezac

Whats up zac?

Here is a tid bit on Jason Variteks career leading to/beginning his major league career that may open a few minds on Lavs potential.  So far, Lav has nothing to live up to but making his own name for himself.  Jason was never as discipline as Lav offensively, or had as strong an arm.  I think Lav has a great chance to be a much better all round player.  Thats why many compare Pudge with the kid.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/3/6/2849678/career-profile-and-prospect-retro-jason-varitek-retires

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : greetings craze while we will have to agree to disagee about trading lav 4 pineda I can see why so many are excited about him however  I'm not a fan of comparing any kid 2 a HOF it seems like disrespect 2 the game IMO
    Posted by pinstripezac

I agree, I'm just comparing Lavs potential to what we have had since Pudge, not Pudge himself.  Only Lav can work towards that goal.  I like Pineda but just not sure whether he was worth Montero.

No disrespect intended, good luck Yank fans.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : I agree, I'm just comparing Lavs potential to what we have had since Pudge, not Pudge himself.  Only Lav can work towards that goal.  I like Pineda but just not sure whether he was worth Montero. No disrespect intended, good luck Yank fans.
    Posted by craze4sox

Who is to say you're wrong about LaVarnway?

Time will tell. I like your passion.

One of the more fun things about the game is watching young players develope.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : Who is to say you're wrong about LaVarnway? Time will tell. I like your passion. One of the more fun things about the game is watching young players develope.
    Posted by ThatWasMe

One of the most exciting things of being a Sox fan is watching how many of our kids make the big club and succeed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

I agree, I'm just comparing Lavs potential to what we have had since Pudge, not Pudge himself.  Only Lav can work towards that goal.  I hear you craze  I like Pineda but just not sure whether he was worth Montero.  1 great prospect / risk for another great prospect / risk we can call it a toss up but once you look at nyy  needs you know they have always been able to get hitting some where a young poteniel pitching stud.......not so much plus as you know  they didn't really have a spot 4 him  sure I love good hitting catchers but great hitting catchers are so rare   IMO because of the beating they take
    Posted by pinstripezac

Understood zac,

I look at your club as one who "like us" have two" decent but not necessarily the best catchers for our future and it is very difficult to find a decent catcher with offense.  I personally hope the Sox don't use Lav in the same way.  However, I also realize we have had a bit more success with young pitchers like Lester and Buchholz than you have with Hughes and Joba and totally understand why you made the trade for another youngster who may turn out like Nova.

Hopefully both Pineda and Bard help our clubs this season and you guys don't have a reason to second guess the Montero trade.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

This is Jim Callis Baseball America, hope it's ok to post:

My top five lists for hitting, power and speed:

Best Hitting Prospects
    1. Mike Trout, of, Angels
    2. Jurickson Profar, ss, Rangers
    3. Jesus Montero, c/1b, Mariners
    4. Anthony Rendon, 3b, Nationals
    5. Nolan Arenado, 3b, Rockies
    Youngsters to watch: Javier Baez (Cubs), Oscar Taveras (Cardinals), Christian Yelich (Marlins).

Best Power Prospects
    1. Bryce Harper, of, Nationals
    2. Miguel Sano, 3b, Twins
    3. Jesus Montero, c/1b, Mariners
    4. Yoenis Cespedes, of, Athletics
    5. Gary Sanchez, c, Yankees
    Youngsters to watch: Jorge Alfaro (Rangers), Josh Bell (Pirates), Guillermo Pimentel (Mariners).

Best Speed Prospects
    1. Billy Hamilton, ss, Reds
    2. Mike Trout, of, Angels
    3. Gary Brown, of, Giants
    4. Roman Quinn, ss, Phillies
    5. Terrance Gore, of, Royals
    Youngsters to watch: Glynn Davis (Orioles), Bradley Marquez (Mets), Mason Williams (Yankees).

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/ask-ba/2012/2613102.html

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda :
    In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : Understood zac, I look at your club as one who "like us" have two" decent but not necessarily the best catchers for our future and it is very difficult to find a decent catcher with offense.  I personally hope the Sox don't use Lav in the same way.  However, I also realize we have had a bit more success with young pitchers like Lester and Buchholz than you have with Hughes and Joba and totally understand why you made the trade for another youngster who may turn out like Nova. Hopefully both Pineda and Bard help our clubs this season and you guys don't have a reason to second guess the Montero trade. Posted by craze4sox [/QUOTE ]  Buchholz than you have with Hughes I'm sure you realize that they aren't so different the slightly younger hughes edges buc in wins & winning % and just incase U R a new stat lover he edges him out in whip too good luck Yank fans and you guys don't have a reason to second guess the Montero trade. U R way 2 nice craze knock it off ;-) the winter is over game on
    Posted by pinstripezac

Ok zac hows this?  Hopefully Nova gets hit in the n--ts off Youks bat "accidently of course" and misses the entire season.  I'm not worried about CC, my boy Beck owns him and ARod will probably help our cause by missing at least a month vacationing with his newest love/getting treament :) 

I was spoiled by my friends early on who were are a mix of Yank/Sox and believe or not even one poor Met fan who generally buys our beer so we go light on him.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : Hill seriously?  You actually believe in minor league player rankings even with their past history.  Lets have this discussion once Lav makes the big club because I personally would never give up Lav for Pineda even straight up.  The Yankees will regret giving up Montero trust me.  Neither Martin or Cervelli will ever have the career he will, or Posada did.  Career WAR?  Again we are talking about a kid who had most of us remembering Pudge last season.  He will improve defensively just like it took Tek a few years to do as a rookie.  I also predict Teks "game calling skills" will be short lived after this season even with Kelly and Salty running the show. Friendly bet?
    Posted by craze4sox

I can choose the believe the consensus of evaluators who are paid to give their assessments or the opinion of an anonymous poster on a Red Sox message board.

So you would not trade a 24-year-old hitter who has rarely (and barely) cracked any Top 100 prospect lists for a younger pitcher who was Baseball America's 16th-ranked prospect entering his age 22 All Star rookie season?

For what it's worth, Ryan Lavarnway failed to make FanGraphs' Top 100 prospect list today:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/top-100-prospects-for-2012/

Sections
Shortcuts