Yankees officially worried about Pineda

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda

In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : I can choose the believe the consensus of evaluators who are paid to give their assessments or the opinion of an anonymous poster on a Red Sox message board. So you would not trade a 24-year-old hitter who has rarely (and barely) cracked any Top 100 prospect lists for a younger pitcher who was Baseball America 's 16th-ranked prospect entering his age 22 All Star rookie season? For what it's worth, Ryan Lavarnway failed to make FanGraphs' Top 100 prospect list today: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/top-100-prospects-for-2012/
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Again hill, no disrespect but after years of botched predictions and hype for various youngsters that rarely live up to expectations I'm going with my own instincts with Lav like I did Jacoby so the answer is yes I would keep him.  Lav has size, power, plate discipline, a good arm and most of all a great deal of intelligence to learn from any growing pains.  He could very easily be a DH, which in many eyes will make him only "half" a player, or a very good catcher at some point.

I felt the same about Jacoby when a lot of my friends predicted he would be a powerless 270 hitter at best just because of his minor leagur Stats.  Just another gut feeling with Lav,  if I'm wrong it happens.

Time will tell I guess!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : Again hill, no disrespect but after years of botched predictions and hype for various youngsters that rarely live up to expectations I'm going with my own instincts with Lav like I did Jacoby so the answer is yes I would keep him.  Lav has size, power, plate discipline, a good arm and most of all a great deal of intelligence to learn from any growing pains.  He could very easily be a DH, which in many eyes will make him only "half" a player, or a very good catcher at some point. I felt the same about Jacoby when a lot of my friends predicted he would be a powerless 270 hitter at best just because of his minor leagur Stats.  Just another gut feeling with Lav,  if I'm wrong it happens. Time will tell I guess!
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

I'll certainly take the "gut feeling" of a guy who has watched him a limited amount of times at best over the various different scouts who have watched him on a continual basis...... OK.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : Again hill, no disrespect but after years of botched predictions and hype for various youngsters that rarely live up to expectations I'm going with my own instincts with Lav like I did Jacoby so the answer is yes I would keep him.  Lav has size, power, plate discipline, a good arm and most of all a great deal of intelligence to learn from any growing pains.  He could very easily be a DH, which in many eyes will make him only "half" a player, or a very good catcher at some point. I felt the same about Jacoby when a lot of my friends predicted he would be a powerless 270 hitter at best just because of his minor leagur Stats.  Just another gut feeling with Lav,  if I'm wrong it happens. Time will tell I guess!
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]
    Ryan Lavarnway reminds me a tad of 23-year-old Seattle hitting prospect Vinnie Catricala, who homered again today after posting a .347/.420/.632/1.052 line at Double A last season.

I hope Lavarnway and Catricala have successful careers.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smelly-Behind2817. Show Smelly-Behind2817's posts

In Response to ;Yankees officially worried about Pineda:
    [QUOTE]Guys, it looks like Smiley was right on about the latest Yankee phenom's velocity. Another start where he is only throwing 89-91. The Yankee brass is now officially concerned. It seems clear there is some type of injury. Come July when he is on the DL, the Yankees are going to miss Montero's bat in the middle of that aging lineup.
    Posted by Smileys_Back[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smelly-Behind2817. Show Smelly-Behind2817's posts

[QUOTE]Guys, it looks like Smiley was right on about the latest Yankee phenom's velocity. Another start where he is only throwing 89-91. The Yankee brass is now officially concerned. It seems clear there is some type of injury. Come July when he is on the DL, the Yankees are going to miss Montero's bat in the middle of that aging lineup.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smelly-Behind2817. Show Smelly-Behind2817's posts

In Response to; Yankees officially worried about Pineda:

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smelly-Behind2817. Show Smelly-Behind2817's posts

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smelly-Behind2817. Show Smelly-Behind2817's posts

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smelly-Behind2817. Show Smelly-Behind2817's posts

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smelly-Behind2817. Show Smelly-Behind2817's posts

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smelly-Behind2817. Show Smelly-Behind2817's posts

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smelly-Behind2817. Show Smelly-Behind2817's posts

In Response to' Yankees officially worried about Pineda:

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smelly-Behind2817. Show Smelly-Behind2817's posts

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smelly-Behind2817. Show Smelly-Behind2817's posts

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smelly-Behind2817. Show Smelly-Behind2817's posts

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smelly-Behind2817. Show Smelly-Behind2817's posts

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smelly-Behind2817. Show Smelly-Behind2817's posts

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smelly-Behind2817. Show Smelly-Behind2817's posts

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smelly-Behind2817. Show Smelly-Behind2817's posts

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonFan68. Show BostonFan68's posts

It's Spring folks. I'm a Sox fan of course but this youngster is a good pitcher. Wait until the season is in progress before judging a player. As we all know ANYTHING can happen. With all the P'ing the Yanks I predict you will see 2 or 3 in July at best. Now lets just watch the games ..

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : I can choose the believe the consensus of evaluators who are paid to give their assessments or the opinion of an anonymous poster on a Red Sox message board. So you would not trade a 24-year-old hitter who has rarely (and barely) cracked any Top 100 prospect lists for a younger pitcher who was Baseball America 's 16th-ranked prospect entering his age 22 All Star rookie season? For what it's worth, Ryan Lavarnway failed to make FanGraphs ' Top 100 prospect list today: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/top-100-prospects-for-2012/
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Wow who cares! 

Ryan Lavarnway reminds me a tad of 23-year-old Seattle hitting prospect Vinnie Catricala, who homered again today after posting a .347/.420/.632/1.052 line at Double A last season.

Wow who cares!

Ryan Lavarnway would rank just below 23-year-old Vinnie Catricala on the Seattle depth chart of hitting prospects. Over the past two seasons Jason Vargas ranks 26th among American League pitchers with 5 Wins Above Replacement. What are the chances that Lavarnway posts a career WAR of 5?        

You are aware many scouts think Lava is more likely to be a catcher than Montero.             

How about you post those Bourne vs Ellsbury WAR totals like you did last off-season again?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

UH-OH

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/yankees-downplay-pineda-s-velocity-1.3605974
    That topped out at 92 after reaching 93 Saturday, sparking speculation that 93 isn't really fast enough for a big, strong, 23-year-old (6-7, 270-pound) power pitcher. Consider it Pineda's "Welcome to New York" moment.

Joe Girardi said, "Because of what we went through with Hughesy, I think everyone is much more concerned about velocity this year."Phil Hughes' loss of velocity in spring training last year was the first sign of a tailspin from an All-Star season in 2010.

But if Pineda's fastball doesn't get faster, this has the makings of a crisis, considering he was the No. 1 marquee pickup in New York this offseason.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smelly-Behind2817. Show Smelly-Behind2817's posts

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : Wow who cares!   Ryan Lavarnway reminds me a tad of 23-year-old Seattle hitting prospect Vinnie Catricala, who homered again today after posting a .347/.420/.632/1.052 line at Double A last season. Wow who cares! Ryan Lavarnway would rank just below 23-year-old Vinnie Catricala on the Seattle depth chart of hitting prospects. Over the past two seasons Jason Vargas ranks 26th among American League pitchers with 5 Wins Above Replacement. What are the chances that Lavarnway posts a career WAR of 5?         You are aware many scouts think Lava is more likely to be a catcher than Montero.              How about you post those Bourne vs Ellsbury WAR totals like you did last off-season again?
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

Lavarnway hitting a scolding .250 with no HR's so far this spring while Montero is at .333 with 1 HR, 3 doubles and 8 RBI's.  Montero will be a far superior hitter for many years.