Yankees officially worried about Pineda

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda

Too soon to say isn't it, Mikey?? Only a few weeks into ST, some players develope later than others, potential injuries etc..

49ers entered the Manning sweepstakes.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda:
    [QUOTE]Too soon to say isn't it, Mikey?? Only a few weeks into ST, some players develope later than others, potential injuries etc.. 49ers entered the Manning sweepstakes.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Montero is the superior bat and he's younger, we saw that last season. Lavarnway may develop into a nice player.

If the 49'ers get him they will be tough.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]UH-OH http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/yankees-downplay-pineda-s-velocity-1.3605974 That topped out at 92 after reaching 93 Saturday , sparking speculation that 93 isn't really fast enough for a big, strong, 23-year-old ( 6-7, 270-pound) power pitcher. Consider it Pineda's "Welcome to New York" moment. Joe Girardi   said, "Because of what we went through with Hughesy, I think everyone is much more concerned about velocity this year." Phil Hughes ' loss of velocity in spring training last year was the first sign of a tailspin from an All-Star season in 2010. But if Pineda's fastball doesn't get faster, this has the makings of a crisis, considering he was the No. 1 marquee pickup in New York this offseason.
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

Crisis - I don't think so. Yanks have minor league options with him, so it is no crisis. If saying this and predicting Montero to hit for the triple crown, then you can call it a bad trade. Are you predicting such numbers for Montero?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : Montero is the superior bat and he's younger, we saw that last season. Lavarnway may develop into a nice player. If the 49'ers get him they will be tough.
    Posted by Camelwalk[/QUOTE]

Maybe, only time will tell. Montero played more than L-Way but haven't seen enough of either in the BIGS yet, IMO. Lavarnway was drafted for his bat, as I'm guessing was Montero.

nothing like a heartbreaking loss to end a season for an organization to go for broke

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : Is this a joke?
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

No its the truth.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : Maybe, only time will tell. Montero played more than L-Way but haven't see enough of either in the BIGS yet IMO. Lavarnway was drafted for his bat, as I'm guessing was Montero. nothing like a heartbreaking loss to end a season to be all in
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Montero played more because he had more of an impact. 

I don't want Peyton with the 49'ers and with that defense....keep him in the AFC!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : Montero played more because he had more of an impact.  I don't want Peyton with the 49'ers and with that defense....keep him in the AFC!!!

If I recall correctly, Montero played more due to being called up after  Martins injury, no??

Dont think he'll land there. Wants to stay in the AFC

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Random thoughts:

-Only a severely mentally limited poster links one weeks' ST stats to future performance.

-Lava is more likely to remain at catcher, therefore IMO he is underrated in comparison to Montero.

-I still like the trade from the Seattle perspective b/c pitchers are more likely to be complete busts.

-Pineda threw 93 - 96 mph last ST, his velocity has to be a major concern.

-Jess the crisis quote is from Newsday not me.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : If I recall correctly, Montero played more due to being called up after to Martins injury, no?? Dont think he'll land there. Wants to stay in the AFC
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Lavarnway had 39 AB's in 17 games and batted .231 with 2 HR's, 8 RBI's and 2 doubles.

Montero had 61 AB's in 18 games and batted .328 with 4 HR's, 12 RBI's and 4doubles.

I hope he doesn't go there and stays in the AFC, I don't want to see him with the 49'ers although I'm sure The Examiner does.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]Random thoughts: -Only a severely mentally limited poster links one weeks' ST stats to future performance. -Lava is more likely to remain at catcher, therefore IMO he is underrated in comparison to Montero. -I still like the trade from the Seattle perspective b/c pitchers are more likely to be complete busts. -Pineda threw 93 - 96 mph last ST, his velocity has to be a major concern. -Jess the crisis quote is from Newsday not me.
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

Montero outperformed him last year in the bigs which is where it counts and continues to do so this spring, that was my point.  The vast majority of MLB scouts see Montero as the better hitter.  Montero is also more than 2 years younger than Lavarnway and although he is awkward behind the plate maybe he can improve, we'll see.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : Lavarnway had 39 AB's in 17 games and batted .231 with 2 HR's and 8 RBI's and 2 doubles. Montero had 61 AB's in 18 games and batted .328 with 4 HR's and 12 RBI's and 4doubles. I hope he doesn't go there and stays in the AFC, I don't want to see him with the 49'ers although I'm sure The Examiner does.

difference of one game, RBI, HR and doubles seem to minimal to say definitively at this point mikey. still think they both need more time in the bigs for the pitchers to make adjustments then we'll see.  I'll be the first to admit the ballparks may make a difference also.

ya exam will for sure. even more so if he doesn't face the pats

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : difference of one game, RBI, HR and doubles seem to minimal to say definitively at this point mikey. still think they both need more time in the bigs for the pitchers to make adjustments then we'll see.  I'll be the first to admit the ballparks may make a difference also. ya exam will for sure. more so if he doesnt face the pats
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

We both know Montero is seen as the better hitter, this has been a thorn in Sox fans side since last season and continues to be even though the guy doesn't wear pinstripes anymore.  Nobody is knocking Lavarnway, he could become a nice player but Montero is seen as middle of the order monster by many scouts but yes time will tell and they both have to play the games.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/top-100-prospects-for-2012/

However on this list I looked for Lavarnway and looked for him on the listings by position and didn't see him, Montero was at the top of the list by position and overall #13.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view/20220303lavarnway_catching_on_sox_prospect_in_better_position/ But several talent evaluators insist Lavarnway may be just as good a hitter. And although he never has been regarded as highly for his defense, many consider his catching skills to be superior to Montero’s. “I think it’s a pretty good comparison,” one National League scout said. “ Montero, I know when we talked about him, we thought you continue to pursue catching the same way Toronto once did with (Carlos) Delgado, and at a certain point, maybe he’s Miguel Cabrera at first base. I think Lavarnway has a better chance of staying behind the plate.”
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

Refer to this and tell me where Lavarnway is please

As I said earlier the "VAST MAJORITY" of scouts see the younger Montero as the superior hitter.   I know this is eating you up Tommy but its ok Lavarnway still may be a nice player.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : We both know Montero is seen as the better hitter, this has been a thorn in Sox fans side since last season and continues to be even though the guy doesn't wear pinstripes anymore.  Nobody is knocking Lavarnway, he could become a nice player but Montero is seen as middle of the order monster by many scouts but yes time will tell and they both have to play the games.

seen as....as in prospect-ive.....he wasn't a thorn in my side but may have become one. Admittedly, I wasnt sorry to see him go. I've just seen to many projected sure things that never were. The opposite holds true, the nature of the game. What I wish for them is what I do for every player, to remain healthy long enough to follow their dream and reach their potential, so they'll never wonder what if. That's what happened to my brother...played in the cape cod league, quickly reached triple A, then sustained an injury that ended his career but not his wondering

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : seen as....as prospect-ive.....he wasn't a thorn in my side but may have become one. Admittedly, I wasnt sorry to see him go. I've just seen to many projected sure things that never were. The opposite holds true, the nature of the game. What I wish for them is what I do for every player, to remain healthy long enough to follow their dream and reach their potential so they'll never wonder what if. Thats what happened to my brother...he quickly reached triple A, sustained an injury that ended his  but his wondering has
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Well may be not a thorn in your side but it has really bothered many Sox fans on this forum that Montero is seen as the better hitter.  Nobody is saying Lavarnway is a bum or anything it has just really bothered many Sox fans and Montero is now out west drinking Starbucks and it still bothers some Sox fans.  I was sorry to see him go because I watched him and saw how good he is, he would've torn up Yankee Stadium but we needed pitching.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

Let's go back to the OP content. It is a shame how so many posters love to hijack the thread and go off on a tangent, If you are a closet Yankee fan then start your own threads instead of ruining those of genuine Red Sox fans who are just coming to their own Red Sox Forum. Aren't there any Yankee Forums tht Yankee fans should go to.  Why no answers to such a simple question?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : Well may be not a thorn in your side but it has really bothered many Sox fans on this forum that Montero is seen as the better hitter.  Nobody is saying Lavarnway is a bum or anything it has just really bothered many Sox fans and Montero is now out west drinking Starbucks and it still bothers some Sox fans.  I was sorry to see him go because I watched him and saw how good he is, he would've torn up Yankee Stadium but we needed pitching.

you did, but it was a tough call by Cashman. some pan out some don't. Wonder if he would have pulled the trigger if AROD wasnt locked up for another 6-7 years.

Finally headed home after a long week to watch basketball. Have a good weekend, Mikey.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view/20220303lavarnway_catching_on_sox_prospect_in_better_position/But several talent evaluators insist Lavarnway may be just as good a hitter. And although he never has been regarded as highly for his defense, many consider his catching skills to be superior to Montero’s.

“I think it’s a pretty good comparison,” one National League scout said. “Montero, I know when we talked about him, we thought you continue to pursue catching the same way Toronto once did with (Carlos) Delgado, and at a certain point, maybe he’s Miguel Cabrera at first base. I think Lavarnway has a better chance of staying behind the plate.”

sports.yahoo.com/.../saltalamacchia-handle-pressure-catching-red-sox...

3 Mar 2012 - Lavarnway appears to be nearly as good a hitting prospect as Monteroand may turn out to be a better defensive catcher. Lavarnway is still learning the position, ...

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/fantasy/article/al-waiver-wire-week-21/
    Like LaVarnway's, Jesus Montero's bat is unquestionably tremendous, but his catching skills leave a lot to be desired. Unlike LaVarnway, it's difficult to find anyone who believes Montero has a future behind the plate.

Some believe that Lavarnway, like new Mariners catcher Jesus Montero, is a strong hitter who has too many defensive flaws to catch regularly in the big leagues. He (Gary Tuck) doesn't believe that's so and neither does Ben Cherington, who has replaced Epstein as GM. The Red Sox have Tuck on the case, and have seen for years the impact he can have.

progers@tribune.com

11 Aug 2011
     - Of particular interest was that catcher Ryan Lavarnway was picked as the best power prospect in the International League, ahead of Jesus Montero of the 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view/20220303lavarnway_catching_on_sox_prospect_in_better_position/ But several talent evaluators insist Lavarnway may be just as good a hitter. And although he never has been regarded as highly for his defense, many consider his catching skills to be superior to Montero’s. “I think it’s a pretty good comparison,” one National League scout said. “ Montero, I know when we talked about him, we thought you continue to pursue catching the same way Toronto once did with (Carlos) Delgado, and at a certain point, maybe he’s Miguel Cabrera at first base. I think Lavarnway has a better chance of staying behind the plate.” sports.yahoo.com/.../saltalamacchia-handle-pressure-catching-red-sox... 3 Mar 2012 - Lavarnway appears to be nearly as good a hitting prospect as Montero and may turn out to be a better defensive catcher. Lavarnway is still learning the position, ... http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/fantasy/article/al-waiver-wire-week-21/ Like LaVarnway's, Jesus Montero's bat is unquestionably tremendous, but his catching skills leave a lot to be desired. Unlike LaVarnway, it's difficult to find anyone who believes Montero has a future behind the plate. Some believe that Lavarnway, like new Mariners catcher Jesus Montero, is a strong hitter who has too many defensive flaws to catch regularly in the big leagues. He (Gary Tuck) doesn't believe that's so and neither does Ben Cherington, who has replaced Epstein as GM. The Red Sox have Tuck on the case, and have seen for years the impact he can have. progers@tribune.com 11 Aug 2011   -   Of particular interest was that   catcher   Ryan   Lavarnway   was picked as the best power prospect in the International League, ahead of Jesus   Montero   of the  
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

I'm still looking for him Lavarnway here.

The vast majority (which doesn't mean every single one) of scouts see Montero as the better hitter.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : you did, but it was a tough call by Cashman. some pan out some don't. Wonder if he would have pulled the trigger if AROD wasnt locked up for another 6-7 years. Finally headed home after a long week to watch basketball. Have a good weekend, Mikey.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

You too J.  UGH I wish we could've thrown the kid in at 3rd base!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

Mikey, by the way is MikeytintheBronx or now Camelwalk. He was admonished by the Closet Yankee Fraternity last fall which is headed by J-Bay, Examiner, Babe, TBHSTM, Naby, and Georom. It is best to put that motley crew onto ignore. Burrito loves their entertainment value since he comes here for a soap opera.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]Mikey, by the way is MikeytintheBronx or now Camelwalk. He was admonished by the Closet Yankee Fraternity last fall which is headed by J-Bay, Examiner, Babe, TBHSTM, Naby, and Georom. It is best to put that motley crew onto ignore. Burrito loves their entertainment value since he comes here for a soap opera.
    Posted by lowelll[/QUOTE]

I'm friendly with J-Bay and The Examiner.......I wasn't "admonished".

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : Saltalamacchia   ranked 18th in   Baseball America   top 100 prospects in 2006, Piazza Drafted   by the   Los Angeles Dodgers   in the   62nd round   of the 1988 amateur draft. (age 19) 1990 not in top 100 1991 not in top 100 1992 not in top 100 1993 age 25 #38 Posada 1995 age 24 yo not in top 100
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

I'm sure Lavarnway will live up to the careers that both Posada and Piazza had BUT for now he's not in the top 100 and Montero is as the vast majority of scouts see the younger Montero as the better hitter.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/top-100-prospects-for-2012/ I'm still looking for him Lavarnway here. The vast majority (which doesn't mean every single one) of scouts see Montero as the better hitter.

He's right there between Gary Sanchez and Austin Romine.  Wait - they're not there either?  But they were there last year, and scouts are never wrong!

Lavarnway is currently the better hitter.  Scouts believe Montero has the potential to be the better hitter - that's why the call it scouting.  To find out who is the actual hitter, you just look at their stats, and Lavarnway's stats were elite at the AA and AAA level, while Montero's were above average - Lars Anderson territory.   A 40-60 AB range is useless in comparison - Drew Sutton hit .315 in 54 ABs last year; do you want to put him in Cooperstown now?

The larger point is that you should be eating crow for any flapping of the gums you did about the Yankee farm system being stocked at C, because it's looking more like a weakness every day.  Don't even get me started on the killer b's.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yankees officially worried about Pineda : He's right there between Gary Sanchez and Austin Romine.  Wait - they're not there either?  But they were there last year, and scouts are never wrong! Lavarnway is currently the better hitter.  Scouts believe Montero has the potential to be the better hitter - that's why the call it scouting.  To find out who is the actual hitter, you just look at their stats, and Lavarnway's stats were elite at the AA and AAA level, while Montero's were above average - Lars Anderson territory.   A 40-60 AB range is useless in comparison - Drew Sutton hit .315 in 54 ABs last year; do you want to put him in Cooperstown now? The larger point is that you should be eating crow for any flapping of the gums you did about the Yankee farm system being stocked at C, because it's looking more like a weakness every day.  Don't even get me started on the killer b's.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

So you don't want to look at Lavarnway's and Montero's performance in their time at the major league level last year?  You're right thats worthless! 

Who said any team was stacked at any position, let alone Banuelos or Betances?

Sections
Shortcuts