yankees short a closer.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jh13. Show jh13's posts

Re: yankees short a closer.

sad day in baseball...hope he has the chance to come back.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In Response to Re: yankees short a closer.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: yankees short a closer. : Robertson is a better option than Papelbon. He's Far younger, FAR cheaper and better.
    Posted by heobrien[/QUOTE]

While I think Robertson is a fantastic pitcher he still has alot to prove as a 9th inning pitcher, he's never been one at least not when it mattered. Your right he is younger, cheaper and a better option as he's already a Yankee. But lets have him close for a season before we call him better.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pass-the-hubris-please. Show Pass-the-hubris-please's posts

The injury to Mo is a torn ACL and a damaged meniscus in his right knee.  Sadly, I believe this is the end of Mariano Rivera's brilliant career.  

The rehab involved will be extensive just to regain range of motion.  Mariano is in great shape, has extremely strong legs, and will certainly work his tail off in rehabilitation, but the likelihood of returning from this injury this season is remote, and it is my opinion that it was his plan to retire at the end of this season.

Mariano deserved a better ending to his story book baseball legacy.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

[QUOTE]The injury to Mo is a torn ACL and a damaged meniscus in his right knee.  Sadly, I believe this is the end of Mariano Rivera's brilliant career.   The rehab involved will be extensive just to regain range of motion.  Mariano is in great shape, has extremely strong legs, and will certainly work his tail off in rehabilitation, but the likelihood of returning from this injury this season is remote, and it is my opinion that it was his plan to retire at the end of this season. Mariano deserved a better ending to his story book baseball legacy.  
    Posted by Pass-the-hubris-please[/QUOTE]

It doesn't look good for him to return from an injury this devastating. I really hope he makes it back, hate to see him end his career like this.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]The injury to Mo is a torn ACL and a damaged meniscus in his right knee.  Sadly, I believe this is the end of Mariano Rivera's brilliant career.   The rehab involved will be extensive just to regain range of motion.  Mariano is in great shape, has extremely strong legs, and will certainly work his tail off in rehabilitation, but the likelihood of returning from this injury this season is remote, and it is my opinion that it was his plan to retire at the end of this season. Mariano deserved a better ending to his story book baseball legacy.  
    Posted by Pass-the-hubris-please[/QUOTE]just think for the rest of this great man's life this is the leading question and video of every freakinmajor  interview. what were u thinking as u went back on that flyball hit by a-fraud right near fence? what did u think as u went down into slide to catch the rocket hit to u by a-roids? he will have doubts for the rest of his life. nolan ryan did it right. i remember watching the game when he threw his last pitch. something popped after he threw the oitch. he just walked off the mound and that was it as he headed for rotator cuff surgery. thats a guy who give everything and used up every quality bullet from his power source doing his actual craft. this is like a qb having to quit after being levelled chasing an INT or hurting his shoulder while making a tackle. get hurt and retiring from a pocket hit or a new orleans saint bounty sack is another thing. remember catcher buck martinez as he got hit in the knee at the plate as he tagged on two runners? he retired after that but thats how u go out if u must go. will always be anti-climatic with MO!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pass-the-hubris-please. Show Pass-the-hubris-please's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: yankees short a closer. : just think for the rest of this great man's life this is the leading question and video of every freakinmajor  interview. what were u thinking as u went back on that flyball hit by a-fraud right near fence? what did u think as u went down into slide to catch the rocket hit to u by a-roids? he will have doubts for the rest of his life. nolan ryan did it right. i remember watching the game when he threw his last pitch. something popped after he threw the oitch. he just walked off the mound and that was it as he headed for rotator cuff surgery. thats a guy who give everything and used up every quality bullet from his power source doing his actual craft. this is like a qb having to quit after being levelled chasing an INT or hurting his shoulder while making a tackle. get hurt and retiring from a pocket hit or a new orleans saint bounty sack is another thing. remember catcher buck martinez as he got hit in the knee at the plate as he tagged on two runners? he retired after that but thats how u go out if u must go. will always be anti-climatic with MO!
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]

Please read my response to you in another thread on this topic.  While I understand your point of view, Mariano was doing exactly what he wanted to do and would not have changed a thing - his own words.  

And, Arod had nothing to do with the injury.  He was near the cage, but not batting when the ball was hit.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: yankees short a closer. : just think for the rest of this great man's life this is the leading question and video of every freakinmajor  interview. what were u thinking as u went back on that flyball hit by a-fraud right near fence? what did u think as u went down into slide to catch the rocket hit to u by a-roids? he will have doubts for the rest of his life. nolan ryan did it right. i remember watching the game when he threw his last pitch. something popped after he threw the oitch. he just walked off the mound and that was it as he headed for rotator cuff surgery. thats a guy who give everything and used up every quality bullet from his power source doing his actual craft. this is like a qb having to quit after being levelled chasing an INT or hurting his shoulder while making a tackle. get hurt and retiring from a pocket hit or a new orleans saint bounty sack is another thing. remember catcher buck martinez as he got hit in the knee at the plate as he tagged on two runners? he retired after that but thats how u go out if u must go. will always be anti-climatic with MO!

I very much doubt this.  In addition to being the greatest closer of all time, he seems like one of the most well-adjusted individuals in the game and has absolutely no reason to regret anything about his storybook career.  

As far as what he was thinking, he was playing a game as he's probably always played it.  It is a game after all.  It's not like he was playing tackle football, skydiving, or doing something inherently reckless and completely unrelated. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: yankees short a closer. :  It's not like he was playing tackle football, skydiving, or doing something inherently reckless and completely unrelated. greetings Sheriff-Rojas thanks 4 leaving out the trampoline ;-)
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

Damn!  I wish I'd included that one instead.  This intermittent posting has made me rusty.  I might as well turn in my badge.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

Sad day for baseball to lose the greatest closer of all time. I always hated seeing mo come out in the 9th (2004. Exception) but showed a lot of class when he tipped his hat to the fans at fenway when the sox recieved the world series trophy. Even though he plays for the evil empire I hope he is able to come back and be his old self (except against the sox) and retire on his own terms.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from er877. Show er877's posts

Lifelong Sox fan here. This is never the way I wanted to see Mo’s career end. Classiest man in the game-a classic warrior in the best sense. Given the current state of the closer role, he is truly an historic figure. He also has elevated a single pitch, the cutter, to arguably the most important in a modern pitcher’s arsenal.
    For as much heartache as he has caused us over the years, the game will be less compelling with him gone.
    Next stop Cooperstown. All the best, #42, you’ll be remembered by all true fans as one of the all-time greats.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

Truly sad.  I really don't see him coming back at his age, with that injury.  Not the way he should go out.  Not at all.  Not at all.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NHBALLFAN. Show NHBALLFAN's posts

it wasn't A-Rod that hit it, Beni- Jr. besides, what difference does it make?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NHBALLFAN. Show NHBALLFAN's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: yankees short a closer. :   it wasn't A-Rod that hit it, Beni- Jr. besides, what difference does it make?
    Posted by NHBALLFAN[/QUOTE]
     The ball was hit by Jayson Nix. I'm sure you'll want to send him a gift.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

That's a shame about Rivera.As much as I always disliked the team he plays for,he was someone who seems like a genuinely good guy off the field.A great competitor who quietly went about doing his thing even in the most pressure filled situations and on the biggest stages.
      Hopefully,he can come back and finish his career on his own terms.If not,baseball has seen the last of a truly iconic player.I wish him the best of luck. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to yankees short a closer. :   Thankfully for the Yankees they have another couple of guys who can close.  David Robertson has been the most dominant setup guy in the game for the last year plus and Rafael Soriano has been successful in the role.  It would a shame and bad luck if Rivera's injury is significant, but the Yankees do have other options.   
    Posted by WilcyMoore[/QUOTE]Both are very good options. I would opt for Soriano who as you noted has had success closing. That way you don't put another pitcher out of his element. Bottom line it's a serious blow to the yankees. Going into the season it appeared ny had a deep and talented starting staff. The reality is the opposite and they need a strong BP more than ever. We may have seen the last of Mo.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Has anyone seen Robertson pitch the last year or Rafael Soriano. Those two guys are better than any relief pitcher on the Red Sox.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

The Yankees have closers, Soriano or Robertson.

Are they Mariano Rivera? No. But who is.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I've never been accused of being a Yankees fan but it's all about the rivalry and not the individuals.  Ok, except for a noteable few and those are players whom I'd LOVE if they were playing for the Sox.  Some players are like that.  :-)

I never could find it in my heart to dislike Mariano Rivera, even when he broke my heart.  He was and is always a class act, a person who went to the mound and did his job very quietly.  When he failed he "manned up" and talked about it and when he succeeded he quietly and humbly talked about all the support he got from his fielders.  There was never any blaming anyone else or trash-talking.  That was Rivera.

I speak of him in the past tense because I believe that at his age this is a career ending injury.  It's a shame that it's ended this way but I don't believe he's going to second-guess what happened yesterday.  He was doing what he always does, going through his regular routine, and this time the knee gave out. It's like others have posted before - it's not like he was doing anything stupid, he was just playing the game of baseball.

Who'd have thought it was going to be his knee that gave out, and not his arm?

As for the future of the Yankees, that's a different topic.  A team doesn't replace Mariano Rivera, they just hope they can.  The Yankees will be fine... or they won't... but this is all about a great baseball player and a 1st ballot HOF'er whom the game has lost. 

The good news is that it's not like he's dead or anything.  He's going to have surgery to repair the ACL, he'll rehab, then he'll retire to live the good life.  He'll continue to be a good human being because... people don't change. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

This thread has been nothing but classy; it likely has alot to do with the type of player & person that's involved.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kt888. Show kt888's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: yankees short a closer. : i'm sure YANK-EM fans were upset when the SOX lost BAILEY, ELLSBURY, and CRAWFUL. hold it, i'm not sure i was upset about crawful. but i understand yank-em fans being on this board; i know some yankee fans and most tend to be baseball ignorant. so that explains why there's a few smarter yankee fans who want to escape the dumbness of their own yankee board.
    Posted by mryazz[/QUOTE]

Yes, there are ignorant fans everywhere, but in my experience true baseball fans do not fist pump when players of opposing teams go down to injury.  It takes away from the competition and the true spirit of the game.  Like countless Red Sox fans, Mo has left me frustrated on too many occasions to keep track, but I have never wished harm or injury to him.  

Not sure it can or will happen, but I would wish to see Rivera work his way back, even if just long enough to close out the second half of next season with the Yanks, so that Yankee fans (and fans across baseball) can give him the on-field farewell he so richly deserves.  

Sections
Shortcuts