yankees short a closer.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Re: yankees short a closer.

In Response to Re: yankees short a closer.:
    I've never been accused of being a Yankees fan but it's all about the rivalry and not the individuals.  Ok, except for a noteable few and those are players whom I'd LOVE if they were playing for the Sox.  Some players are like that.  :-)   I never could find it in my heart to dislike Mariano Rivera, even when he broke my heart.  He was and is always a class act, a person who went to the mound and did his job very quietly.  When he failed he "manned up" and talked about it and when he succeeded he quietly and humbly talked about all the support he got from his fielders.  There was never any blaming anyone else or trash-talking.  That was Rivera. I speak of him in the past tense because I believe that at his age this is a career ending injury.  It's a shame that it's ended this way but I don't believe he's going to second-guess what happened yesterday.  He was doing what he always does, going through his regular routine, and this time the knee gave out. It's like others have posted before - it's not like he was doing anything stupid, he was just playing the game of baseball. Who'd have thought it was going to be his knee that gave out, and not his arm? As for the future of the Yankees, that's a different topic.  A team doesn't replace Mariano Rivera, they just hope they can.  The Yankees will be fine... or they won't... but this is all about a great baseball player and a 1st ballot HOF'er whom the game has lost.  The good news is that it's not like he's dead or anything.  He's going to have surgery to repair the ACL, he'll rehab, then he'll retire to live the good life.  He'll continue to be a good human being because... people don't change. 
    Posted by S5

Perfect

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

hey Sox fans....thanks for the class...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Yankees have closers, Soriano or Robertson.

Are they Mariano Rivera? No. But who is.

Agreed, but now the Yanks have a step down at closer and a step down at whoever replaced the next closer as a set-up man. They may not decline much, but it will be at 2 slots, not one.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

The Yankees have closers, Soriano or Robertson. Are they Mariano Rivera? No. But who is. Agreed, but now the Yanks have a step down at closer and a step down at whoever replaced the next closer as a set-up man. They may not decline much, but it will be at 2 slots, not one.
    Posted by moonslav59
    Morning Moon, quite possible..i just hope they both do the job, though i'm still in the camp of the 8th being every bit as high leverage as the 9th...can't finish if the front guy can't get you there...

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

The Yankees have closers, Soriano or Robertson. Are they Mariano Rivera? No. But who is. Agreed, but now the Yanks have a step down at closer and a step down at whoever replaced the next closer as a set-up man. They may not decline much, but it will be at 2 slots, not one.
    Posted by moonslav59

Exactly moon. throws off the entire balance of the bullpen. As far as having 2 closers, dont be so sure. Soriano closed for Tampa Bay. While Roberstosn is a great 8th inning set up guy, doesn't always equate to a successful closer. If it was that easy, more would make the transition. takes more than great stuff and three outs.

As far a Rivera, never like him on the mound, but couldnt help but respect his talent and admire him off the field.  If this is the end of his baseball life, my hope for him is the injury will not effect his life going forward. Not an easy injury to overcome, especially at 42.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Re: yankees short a closer. : Now of Soriano gets hurt the Yankees will be in the same boat as the Red Sox, without their closer or set up guy going into the season.
    Posted by SpruceTrap
    how successful they will be, who knows?, but like the Sox they'll play on...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I couldn't believe it!! I had to work late last night so I slept in a little this morning. Right when I got up, my kids ran over to tell me that Rivera had torn his ACL catching a fly ball in the outfield. The caffeine hadn't kicked in yet, so it didn't compute. So I hopped online and ... wow.

I truly hope he comes back from this. I've always had the utmost repect for Mo and consider him by far the greatest closer of all time. Not only that, one of the classiest guys who ever played. I hope he comes back stronger than ever (but, sorry, I still hope he blows every save opportunity against the Red Sox).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

I couldn't believe it!! I had to work late last night so I slept in a little this morning. Right when I got up, my kids ran over to tell me that Rivera had torn his ACL catching a fly ball in the outfield. The caffeine hadn't kicked in yet, so it didn't compute. So I hopped online and ... wow. I truly hope he comes back from this. I've always had the utmost repect for Mo and consider him by far the greatest closer of all time. Not only that, one of the classiest guys who ever played. I hope he comes back stronger than ever (but, sorry, I still hope he blows every save opportunity against the Red Sox).
    Posted by LloydDobler
    though i have never obsessed about the day, i've readied myself since the final out of 2009...comeback doesn't seem likely(his43rd B-Day will follow season's end)...will be hard to replace his ruthless consistency.. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

This must be how the Japanese felt the day after Pearl Harbor.
    Posted by SpruceTrap

Not funny.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In Response to Re: yankees short a closer. : though i have never obsessed about the day, i've readied myself since the final out of 2009...comeback doesn't seem likely(his43rd B-Day will follow season's end)...will be hard to replace his ruthless consistency.. 
    Posted by jete02fan

hey jete

The guy is a class act and has been good for baseball.  I hope he recovers and is able to end his career on the mound.

That being said I also hope he blows every save when facing the sox.Wink

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

This must be how the Japanese felt the day after Pearl Harbor.
    Posted by SpruceTrap

That's a shock.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Re: yankees short a closer. : hey jete The guy is a class act and has been good for baseball.  I hope he recovers and is able to end his career on the mound. That being said I also hope he blows every save when facing the sox.
    Posted by 67redsox
    hey m'lady..i think he was gonna hang em up after this season anway(just a feeling)...but let's face it, he'll already be another year older(43) before the 2013 season even approaches, that kind of rehab is extensive...no matter how sound your arm is, you can't make it work wiithout your legs under you..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

but now the Yanks have a step down at closer 

what no points 4 getting younger ;-)

Yes, 1 point for getting younger minus 2 points for getting worse.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In Response to Re: yankees short a closer. : I legitimately feel bad for Mo. I'm loving how upset this is making Yankees fans though. They've done no such thing to demonstrate that they're a class act and should be off-limits.
    Posted by SpruceTrap

And you continue to show what a class act you aren't

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In Response to Re: yankees short a closer. : fair point stan but i think most nyyfans would take their chances however  we could use paps as a set up man ;-) good point though
    Posted by pinstripezac

hey zac~
    Throw enough money at pap and he will play for any team, even the yanksWink

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Hey, I finally found an avatar!
    Posted by SpruceTrap

Not funny, watching a man writhe in pain is a horrible avatar.

Sections
Shortcuts