Yankees Sticking with Cervelli, Stewart, and Romine to catch.

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: Yankees Sticking with Cervelli, Stewart, and Romine to catch.

In response to EdithBRTN's comment:

I mean no disrespect to Yankee fans but as of right now they may be very close in talent next season to us.  That isn't necessarily a good thing so it could be Yankees and Sox fighting for any remaining PS slot without further improvement.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Just in:  the Yankees plan to drop out of the AL East and join a senior beer-league slo-pitch softball team for next season.  They are expecting to dominate the competition.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Not that it matters, but it shows the Yanks are serious about getting below the luxury tax limit for next year so that in 2014 they can go back to spending with only a 10% penalty for any overage.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to traven's comment:

Not that it matters, but it shows the Yanks are serious about getting below the luxury tax limit for next year so that in 2014 they can go back to spending with only a 10% penalty for any overage.

It also doesn't help that they own a certain 3rd baseman some pretty big coin...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

What's to say--everybody makes choices.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The Yankees still won 95 games last year despite their long list of injuries and several stars struggling.  They are still a threat in 2013.  

I am surprised that the Yankees are serious about getting their payroll under $189 million by 2014.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

The Yankees still won 95 games last year despite their long list of injuries and several stars struggling.  They are still a threat in 2013.  

I am surprised that the Yankees are serious about getting their payroll under $189 million by 2014.  

i'm not sure if they will. idk what their payroll is at but i know it was pretty flexed prior to signing Mo, Pettite, kuroda and youk to hefty deals..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think they might grab someone in Feb for next to nothing if they decide to go the FA route. If not, it should be interesting back there in 2013.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

While resetting their Luxury Tax %. They'll also get a large rebate check back from MLB. If George were still in charge he wouldn't care. Looks like the kid has a more bottom line approach.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

I still think they will be making purchases, and I do not believe the luxury tax hype...I think it is meant to give them leverage in negotiations, so that they do not appear as the easy marks they have been in the past...I still believe they will either purchase an FA pitcher (Joe Saunders?) and catcher, or make some kind of deal, even with their limited minor league prospects.....Then again, I predicted they would sign Josh Hamilton, so you can take this with a pound of salt...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to GreenPartyCelt's comment:

I still think they will be making purchases, and I do not believe the luxury tax hype...I think it is meant to give them leverage in negotiations, so that they do not appear as the easy marks they have been in the past...I still believe they will either purchase an FA pitcher (Joe Saunders?) and catcher, or make some kind of deal, even with their limited minor league prospects.....Then again, I predicted they would sign Josh Hamilton, so you can take this with a pound of salt...

JMO, but I think the luxury tax thing is real. Have you read the new CBA? It's pretty draconian. I actually read your post though, hoping for a defense of Cervelli, because I like that guy and I wish we had him on our team.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

In response to GreenPartyCelt's comment:

JMO, but I think the luxury tax thing is real. Have you read the new CBA? It's pretty draconian. I actually read your post though, hoping for a defense of Cervelli, because I like that guy and I wish we had him on our team.

Its one reason the Sox wont sign a player with a draft pick attached. Not only do you lose the pick, but the $$ slotted for that pick.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Cervelli is a servicable B/U catcher. My guess is that Romine is the guy they see as the starter he of the 19 career big league at bats, with Cervelli & Stewart serving as insurance if the kid proves he's not ready to handle the responsibilty of being an everyday catcher for a legit contender. My guess is that he is or they'd have resigned Martin, who dispite his low batting ave was a very good defensive catcher with a little pop. In the end this could be less about moneys and simply about the trust they have in Romine to make the jump @ 24 years old with the tutelege of Girardi helping him to transistion to the bigs no small factor. Let the CERA arguments begin in earnest....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

Cervelli is a servicable B/U catcher. My guess is that Romine is the guy they see as the starter he of the 19 career big league at bats, with Cervelli & Stewart serving as insurance if the kid proves he's not ready to handle the responsibilty of being an everyday catcher for a legit contender. My guess is that he is or they'd have resigned Martin, who dispite his low batting ave was a very good defensive catcher with a little pop. In the end this could be less about moneys and simply about the trust they have in Romine to make the jump @ 24 years old with the tutelege of Girardi helping him to transistion to the bigs no small factor. Let the CERA arguments begin in earnest....

hey Beans,long time..Happy Holidays...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

BT, I thought of your post when I read this article on Romine and the upcoming season.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121225&content_id=40789028&vkey=news_nyy&c_id=nyy&partnerId=rss_nyy&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

If the Sox fail to sign Napoli, Yankees WILL sign him as their catcher.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

"JMO, but I think the luxury tax thing is real. Have you read the new CBA? It's pretty draconian. I actually read your post though, hoping for a defense of Cervelli, because I like that guy and I wish we had him on our team."

I think the luxury tax thing is very real also.  It's not just the few million dollars the Yankees could save by resetting  the luxury tax penalty, but by getting under the tax limit in 2014, they could receive a revenue sharing refund check in 2015 potentially in the area of $40 mil dollars. That's not exactly chump change, even for the Yankees.

As far as Cervelli goes, I can't stand the guy.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

The Yanks mean business for the 2014 cap. That is why these deals have been one and two year deals (mostly one). Once 2015 comes, they can go nuts again. And considering they put out qualifying offers to Swish and a few others, they will be getting draft compensation. Their minor league system needs some new blood. The kids on board now have been somewhat derailed by injuries.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from yankenstein3. Show yankenstein3's posts

Will be interesting to see how Romine does in ST. I'm sure he'll be in tampa in january to get a head start. Don't forget he was MVP of FSL in 2009 with 13 HR and 72 RBI with .763 OPS. If he could ever remotely get close to those #s in the bigs to match his defense, we'd be a lucky fan base. It'd be a much needed addition of youth.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

I may be wrong, and if so please correct me, but I cannot think of any WS contenders who had a platoon of second string catchers, which is all the Yanks have right now.

If David Ross can be the most important signing of this off-season for the Sox, not resigning Russel Martin should/could be the most important non-signing of the off-season for NYY.  Seems to me that there is a strong contingent of baseball people who consider good catching and good game calling skills to be essential for winning teams.  Maybe Cashman isn't one of them, but I think a platoon of secondary catching talent could really hurt the Yanks, their pitching, their defense, and their W-L record.  I hope I am right.

Sections
Shortcuts