Yankees to sign Tanaka

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Re: Yankees to sign Tanaka

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Kimmi 

Imo I think the Yanks are just about done for the offseason. I think they will add a BP arm or 2 and that will be that. The infielder that we still need will be added in season, Headley or Aram being very likely targets.

[/QUOTE]

That's possible, but I wouldn't be surprised if they added another starter or if they signed Drew.  Their infield is potentially a big mess - you have legitimate question marks at all 4 positions. 

Personally, I find the Yankees offseason moves a little puzzling.

[/QUOTE]

Sabathia
    Tanaka
    Kuroda
    Jimenez
    Nova

AAA

Pineda
    Banuelos
    Ramirez

Trade bait

Phelps
    Nuno
    Warren

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

I look that next season, Jete, and Kuroda as coming off the books in Big Contracts, with A-Rod coming back Counters that. They will be about where they are right now going into Next Off-Season. Sox have a lot more coming off the books next season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

If of course they go after Ubaldo.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

22 million per year.  He has an opt out at 4 years, so if he is any good he will exercise that making the total more like 26 million (as they spread out the posting fee)  Off the books the total cost to the Yankees would sit at around $36 million a year when you include the salary cap tax. 

For a guy with a flat fastball who projects as a middle of the rotation starter.

We have about 5-6 prospects who project as a middle of the rotation starter, even if one pans out we will have our very own Tanaka for less than a million. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

If there's one thing that signing did, it dragged the Yankee trolls out!  Smile

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Fascinating deal.  7 years and that much dough for an unknown commodity.  His Japanese numbers are gaudy, for sure.  But so were Matsuzaka's.  Darvish looked like the real deal with the naked eye.  You could see he was electric regardless of what kind of line-ups he was facing.  Hard to say with Tanaka.  He is young, so if he falls on the Yu end of the Dice-Darvish scale, works out great for the Yankees, and also instantly makes them a contender this year.  If he falls on the Daisuke end of the scale though ...

[/QUOTE]Just like the "BIG O", the YANK$ are heck-bent on destroying their franchise !!!

[/QUOTE]

Yep. Predictable.. More politics

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I look that next season, Jete, and Kuroda as coming off the books in Big Contracts, with A-Rod coming back Counters that. They will be about where they are right now going into Next Off-Season. Sox have a lot more coming off the books next season.

[/QUOTE]A-ROD coming back ???????  Spare me/us.....  MLB has seen the last of the fraud that destroyed the "golden gooooose" !!!

Anyway you look at it, someone has to pay him. That contract is hurting the Yanks, whether its not now, but later.

[/QUOTE]

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Kimmi 

Imo I think the Yanks are just about done for the offseason. I think they will add a BP arm or 2 and that will be that. The infielder that we still need will be added in season, Headley or Aram being very likely targets.

[/QUOTE]

That's possible, but I wouldn't be surprised if they added another starter or if they signed Drew.  Their infield is potentially a big mess - you have legitimate question marks at all 4 positions. 

[/QUOTE] aww, you're just mad because The Genius struck out Tongue OutWink...j/k Kimmi :-)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Kimmi 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

As it stands now:

Ellsbury – CF
    Jeter – SS
    Beltran – RF
    Soriano – DH
    Tex – 1b
    McCann – C
    Johnson – 3b
    Roberts – 2b
    Gardner – LF

Bench: Cervelli, Sizemore, Ryan and Ichiro

Rotation:
    CC, Kuroda, Tanaka, Nova, Pineda

Pen
    LHP: Thornton and Cabral
    RHP: Kelley, D-Rob, Phelps, Betances, Claiborne

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

That infield is awful, and that rotation still has a LOT of question marks. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If there's one thing that signing did, it dragged the Yankee trolls out!  Smile

[/QUOTE]

Yeah how dare anyone to come on a "Yankees sign Tanaka" thread to contribute to the thread and talk about it..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]

Mike Cormack ?@MikeCormack 8m
    Hank Steinbrenner: “If it wasn’t for revenue sharing, we’d have a payroll of $300 million a year.”http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseba.....ro-tanaka/ …

[/QUOTE]

Which is why it was implemented, Hal

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

22 million per year.  He has an opt out at 4 years, so if he is any good he will exercise that making the total more like 26 million (as they spread out the posting fee)  Off the books the total cost to the Yankees would sit at around $36 million a year when you include the salary cap tax. 

For a guy with a flat fastball who projects as a middle of the rotation starter.

We have about 5-6 prospects who project as a middle of the rotation starter, even if one pans out we will have our very own Tanaka for less than a million. 

[/QUOTE]

Nice post Hugh.

I think the Yankees had to do this deal, but that doesn't undo the fact that the money and years are ridiculous.  It's nice to be in the position that the Sox are in with regards to their pitching depth and prospects.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

@Buster_ESPN

Not surprisingly, Yankees’ internal expectation is that they are essentially finished adding this winter: No more pricey free agents.

Sounds like no Jimenez. So Pineda getting a real chance out of ST.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

I agree Bill, lets change the rules and re-elect the Big O and he will destroy the Yankee franchise.  Glad to see you have come around with me on this.  Oh and we will send Dick Cheney hunting with Sabathia, how can he miss?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nice post Hugh.

I think the Yankees had to do this deal, but that doesn't undo the fact that the money and years are ridiculous.  It's nice to be in the position that the Sox are in with regards to their pitching depth and prospects.

[/QUOTE]

Flat fastball??

97 mph is flat?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

So much for Cashman wanting to stay below the Luxury Tax.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]

Hank escapes from the Basement:

“There has been criticism of myself and my brother the last couple years that, gee, if our dad was still in charge, we’d be spending this and spending that and doing whatever it takes to win,” Hank Steinbrenner told the AP.

“He didn’t have revenue sharing, at least for most of his time,” Hank Steinbrenner added. “That’s what these people in the sports media don’t seem to get. If it wasn’t for revenue sharing, we’d have a payroll of $300 million a year if we wanted to. So we’re doing this despite having to pay all that revenue sharing.”

[/QUOTE]
    That $300M is consistent with what I heard when the new YS was under construction.

The Yankees are already moving in that direction. Accrding to ESPN MLB in December the Y's had a payroll in 2013 of $237M+ the $28M LT penalty = $265M

As a point of comparison, the WS Champions paid $176.5M in salaries and no LT. 

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10154043/new-york-yankees-hit-28m-luxury-tax

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

aww, you're just mad because The Genius struck out Tongue OutWink...j/k Kimmi :-)
    [/QUOTE]

LOL Jetes.  My man Theo let me down, but honestly, he didn't stand much of a chance from the get go.  I don't know what the Cubs bid, but hopefully Theo was able to at least drive the price up a little for the Yanks.   ;-)

The real question is, what are we going to do once Jeter retires?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nice post Hugh.

[/QUOTE]

Flat fastball??

97 mph is flat?

[/QUOTE]

hah, he throws low 90's can touch 95 96 and has been clocked at 97...

...that is not exactly the same as saying someone has a 97 MPH fastball. 

secondary stuff is above average but not plus.

Splitter is nasty, no one disagrees there.

His arm has been abused in Japan, and how will he respond to a day less of rest? perhaps it will have zero effect, or perhaps it takes a tick or two off his fastball. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nice post Hugh.

[/QUOTE]

Flat fastball??

97 mph is flat?

[/QUOTE]

97 is 97.  But you can still be flat at 97.  And a flat 97 gets creamed in the bigs.  Just ask Jon Papelbon.  His 97 flattened out on him and he was never the same.  Not saying that Tanaka has a flat fastball.  I cannot tell from youtube etc. (in the way that I could clearly tell that Darvish's cheese was filthy from youtube etc.).  It sure will be interesting to see if Hugh's scouting eye is sharp on this matter or not. 

Sections
Shortcuts