In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Fascinating deal.  7 years and that much dough for an unknown commodity.  His Japanese numbers are gaudy, for sure.  But so were Matsuzaka's.  Darvish looked like the real deal with the naked eye.  You could see he was electric regardless of what kind of line-ups he was facing.  Hard to say with Tanaka.  He is young, so if he falls on the Yu end of the Dice-Darvish scale, works out great for the Yankees, and also instantly makes them a contender this year.  If he falls on the Daisuke end of the scale though ...

[/QUOTE]Just like the "BIG O", the YANK$ are heck-bent on destroying their franchise !!!

[/QUOTE]

Yep. Predictable.. More politics

[/QUOTE]NO, NO politics at all .......  Just showing a good comparison of how to kill the "GOLDEN GOOOOOSE"  !!!

[/QUOTE]
    When you refer to the President of the US as "The Big O" it's politics and we both know it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Yankees to sign Tanaka

[QUOTE]

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

22 million per year.  He has an opt out at 4 years, so if he is any good he will exercise that making the total more like 26 million (as they spread out the posting fee)  Off the books the total cost to the Yankees would sit at around $36 million a year when you include the salary cap tax. 

For a guy with a flat fastball who projects as a middle of the rotation starter.

We have about 5-6 prospects who project as a middle of the rotation starter, even if one pans out we will have our very own Tanaka for less than a million. 

[/QUOTE]

Nice post Hugh.

I think the Yankees had to do this deal, but that doesn't undo the fact that the money and years are ridiculous.  It's nice to be in the position that the Sox are in with regards to their pitching depth and prospects.

[/QUOTE]

Flat fastball??

97 mph is flat?

[/QUOTE]

97 is 97.  But you can still be flat at 97.  And a flat 97 gets creamed in the bigs.  Just ask Jon Papelbon.  His 97 flattened out on him and he was never the same.  Not saying that Tanaka has a flat fastball.  I cannot tell from youtube etc. (in the way that I could clearly tell that Darvish's cheese was filthy from youtube etc.).  It sure will be interesting to see if Hugh's scouting eye is sharp on this matter or not. 

[/QUOTE]

but it's not 97...and it's flat (reportedly, I haven't seen it) 

Here is nice link about Tanaka where they talk a little bit about his Velo

http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/as-teams-scout-masahiro-tanaka-posting-system-changes-could-be-coming/

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

If there's one thing that signing did, it dragged the Yankee trolls out!  Smile

[/QUOTE]

Yeah how dare anyone to come on a "Yankees sign Tanaka" thread to contribute to the thread and talk about it..

[/QUOTE]

seriously S5

what's up with that comment

the only troll like post I saw was NC slash saying

''still a .500 team next season.''

please don't trade nuno TWM

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

aww, you're just mad because The Genius struck out Tongue OutWink...j/k Kimmi :-)
    [/QUOTE]

LOL Jetes.  My man Theo let me down, but honestly, he didn't stand much of a chance from the get go.  I don't know what the Cubs bid, but hopefully Theo was able to at least drive the price up a little for the Yanks.   ;-)

The real question is, what are we going to do once Jeter retires?

[/QUOTE] LOL...i know....your Bogaerts/Ryan comps just won't have the same ring to it..Tongue OutSmile

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

[QUOTE]

Chris Cotillo?@ChrisCotillo1 min
    With Tanaka signed, #Yankees have committed 29 years and $471 million to nine free agents this offseason.

[/QUOTE]

Interesting...we'll see if that is enough money to buy a WS.  That kind of money for a guy yet to play in MLB should light a fire under MLB pitchers everywhere as well as the batters who face him.   Makes me more anxious than ever for the season to get underway! GO RS!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Are we agreeing that TWM is a Yankee troll?  Laughing

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

aww, you're just mad because The Genius struck out Tongue OutWink...j/k Kimmi :-)

LOL Jetes.  My man Theo let me down, but honestly, he didn't stand much of a chance from the get go.  I don't know what the Cubs bid, but hopefully Theo was able to at least drive the price up a little for the Yanks.   ;-)

[/QUOTE]

Jete will have to change his name, for starters.

I think "ARod13fan" is available! Wink Cool

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

not today.................................. Laughing

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

not today.................................. Laughing

[/QUOTE]

not yet...............................SealedUndecidedTongue Out

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to JoseLaguna's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If the Yanks sign Drew, that will mean $25 - $30 at the SS position.

[/QUOTE]

For 2014?

Nope. Jeter is getting $12.5.

Drew would have to make that or more. I don't think that's happening.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Jete will have to change his name, for starters.

I think "ARod13fan" is available! Wink Cool

[/QUOTE] LOL!!!....bastid..:-)

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Now that it is finalized that the Yanks will not be under the limit... can they please take Drew off our hands and give us another draft pick?

We all knew it was a foregone conclusion that the Yanks would sign Tanaka... it was simply that the price went up for them once other teams were involved with the bidding.  The Yanks have been the Yanks for as long as I have been watching baseball and can always outbid other teams if they really want a player.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Fascinating deal.  7 years and that much dough for an unknown commodity.  His Japanese numbers are gaudy, for sure.  But so were Matsuzaka's.  Darvish looked like the real deal with the naked eye.  You could see he was electric regardless of what kind of line-ups he was facing.  Hard to say with Tanaka.  He is young, so if he falls on the Yu end of the Dice-Darvish scale, works out great for the Yankees, and also instantly makes them a contender this year.  If he falls on the Daisuke end of the scale though ...

[/QUOTE]Just like the "BIG O", the YANK$ are heck-bent on destroying their franchise !!!

[/QUOTE]

Yep. Predictable.. More politics

[/QUOTE]NO, NO politics at all .......  Just showing a good comparison of how to kill the "GOLDEN GOOOOOSE"  !!!

[/QUOTE]
    When you refer to the President of the US as "The Big O" it's politics and we both know it.

[/QUOTE]My DAD taught me a long time ago .......  "SON, never confuse a PRESIDENT for a KING "   !!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

[QUOTE]

Time to steal Drew from the RS.

[/QUOTE]

Can't steal what is being given away

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Ranking the top 10 starting rotations

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/43703/ranking-the-top-10-rotations

We all have question marks.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]

22 million per year.  He has an opt out at 4 years, so if he is any good he will exercise that making the total more like 26 million (as they spread out the posting fee)  Off the books the total cost to the Yankees would sit at around $36 million a year when you include the salary cap tax. 

For a guy with a flat fastball who projects as a middle of the rotation starter.

We have about 5-6 prospects who project as a middle of the rotation starter, even if one pans out we will have our very own Tanaka for less than a million. 

[/QUOTE]

First, this board was salivating over Tanaka; now the spin has reversed.

What a shock.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

If there's one thing that signing did, it dragged the Yankee trolls out!  Smile

[/QUOTE]

Yeah how dare anyone to come on a "Yankees sign Tanaka" thread to contribute to the thread and talk about it..

[/QUOTE]

seriously S5

what's up with that comment

the only troll like post I saw was NC slash saying

''still a .500 team next season.''

please don't trade nuno TWM

[/QUOTE]

i predict the yankees will be a .500 team next year.  that's my prediction.  what's yours?  do you really think they will win all those 1 run games again this year without mo???

hey zac...go f|_|c|< yourself.  how about that?

Red Sox 2013 World Series Champions.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

@TylerKepner

Cool part of Yanks’ Tanaka effort: Hideki Matsui made recruiting call on their behalf. Yankee people real similarity in their personalities.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

@therealarieber

Source on Tanaka: “I think it came down to him just wanting to be a Yankee. :-)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

First, this board was salivating over Tanaka; now the spin has reversed.

What a shock.

[/QUOTE]

Heaven forbid you base your opinion on what the idividual has said before, instead of projecting it onto the entire board.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

There isn't an AL team that needed to make this move more than the Yanks.

But it doesn't solve their pitching woes.  They get a breather on ARod this season; depending on how Tanaka plays out, that might be the best part of this deal for NYY. 

Funny, I recall dozens of Yanks' posters screaming about the Sox' Dice K signing.  Not a good move, overpaid, would be foolish to spend $$$ on an unproven pitcher.  Lol.  Tanaka isn't going to light up this league in his first year.  Give him 3-5 years before he's in the NL West, possibly AL in Seattle.  

What's the opt out clause of this contract? 4 years?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

and to all the Sox fans that worship these yankees fans that post on this board...i dont really care what you think.

@ the clown - lol at your yankees "trade bait"  that is some funny stuff.  who you going to get with that trade bait?????

yankees are trying to buy them$elve$ out of basement.  not going to work.  they are just digging their hole deeper and deeper.  they tell their fanbase that they are going to get back under the luxury tax limit this season.  they very well could end up with their highe$t payroll ever.  and for a .500 team.

over/under games played for jeter?

over/under games played for texiera?

over/under era for CC?

over/under blown saves by robertson?

yankees record in 1 run games?

over/under ops of 2b & 3b?

8th inning era?

how old is kuroda?

mccan bright lights of northeast baseball?

i guess i should pipe down as you are all correct.  the signing of Tanaka just made the Yankees the 2014 world series champions.  i might as well cancel my subscirption to MLB package and not bother watching the sox this season.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

@therealarieber

Source on Tanaka: “I think it came down to him just wanting to be a Yankee. :-)

[/QUOTE]

so was it the 7 years and $155MM with a player opt out in 4?  or that he just wanted to be a yankees????

Sections
Shortcuts