Yankees to sign Tanaka

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Re: Yankees to sign Tanaka

In response to J-BAY's comment:

In response to S5's comment:

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

Phrases like "bad contract," "overpay," and "albatross" are meaningless words to the Yankees...I don't know why we bother characterizing anything they do in those terms. They've reached the doomsday phase with A-Rod (still on the hook for 3 more seasons after the suspension) and are about to be paying a ton of money for the declines of Sabathia and Teixeira, and they're not fazed a single bit.

I don't think they know how to be any other way. It's what they've become.

I agree. And in defense of the Yankees (I can't believe I'm saying THAT!!) it's that way because their revenues allow them to do it.  They can throw it against the wall and if it sticks there they go with it, and if it doesn't they release the player and move on to another.  In fairness, the Sox can do the same thing to a lesser degree. 

That's the advantage of being a big market team vs a small market team.  That's also what makes it so amazing when a small market team is successful. 

As little as I like to admit it because the Rays are my LEAST favorite team (yes, below the Yankees now), the Rays have become the poster child for building a solid team with limited revenue.  

Because of all their first round picks. It won't last. Eventually, they'll have to decide, if they want to be spenders or not, to compete in the ALE. I don't see it, as they don't have to fan base to generate the revenue

I know.  That's what I keep telling myself!  They're my LEAST favorite team, remember?  But they just keep on keepin' on, being competitive every year. 

During the past five seasons:

2009     3rd     84-78

2010     1st     96-66

2011     2nd    91-71

2012     3rd     90-72

2013     2nd     92-71

The Rays haven't failed to win 90 games since 2009.  When does this end?  I long for the days when they were the doormat of the league... and eagerly anticipate the days when they are again and GG gets exposed for what he is.  Or maybe he isn't  :-( 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

JThugs on Yankees: 'We still got the belt'

sounds like another just became '' god like''

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

hahaha....where is andrew???

My thoughts exactly!  And isn't Andrew the one who coined the phrase, "Day-to-day Clay"? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Phrases like "bad contract," "overpay," and "albatross" are meaningless words to the Yankees...I don't know why we bother characterizing anything they do in those terms. They've reached the doomsday phase with A-Rod (still on the hook for 3 more seasons after the suspension) and are about to be paying a ton of money for the declines of Sabathia and Teixeira, and they're not fazed a single bit.

I agree. And in defense of the Yankees (I can't believe I'm saying THAT!!) it's that way because their revenues allow them to do it.  They can throw it against the wall and if it sticks there they go with it, and if it doesn't they release the player and move on to another.  In fairness, the Sox can do the same thing to a lesser degree. 

That's the advantage of being a big market team vs a small market team.  That's also what makes it so amazing when a small market team is successful. 

As little as I like to admit it because the Rays are my LEAST favorite team (yes, below the Yankees now), the Rays have become the poster child for building a solid team with limited revenue.  

Because of all their first round picks. It won't last. Eventually, they'll have to decide, if they want to be spenders or not, to compete in the ALE. I don't see it, as they don't have to fan base to generate the revenue

I know.  That's what I keep telling myself!  They're my LEAST favorite team, remember?  But they just keep on keepin' on, being competitive every year. 

2009     3rd     84-78

2010     1st     96-66

2011     2nd    91-71

2012     3rd     90-72

2013     2nd     92-71

The Rays haven't failed to win 90 games since 2009.  When does this end?  I long for the days when they were the doormat of the league... and eagerly anticipate the days when they are again and GG gets exposed for what he is.  Or maybe he isn't  :-( 

Is it as simple as, when they took the Devil out of the Rays? Nah.....Wink

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

Why? "We" do. In was in response to being asked about all the NYY off season FA signings.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Why? "We" do. It was in response to being asked about all the Yankees FA off season signings

I know where it's from

I'm sursprised the whole article hasn't been posted

someone should remind him how many FA the sox signed last yr

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

2009     3rd     84-78

2010     1st     96-66

2011     2nd    91-71

2012     3rd     90-72

2013     2nd     92-71

Is it as simple as, when they took the Devil out of the Rays? Nah.....Wink

The funny thing is, I didn't like that team when they were losing.  I like them even less now.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Why? "We" do. It was in response to being asked about all the Yankees FA off season signings

I know where it's from

ok, I didnt see it. what's your comment in reference to?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

I know where it's from

ok, then what's your comment in reference to

from NYDN.com(gotta give proper credit...don't want hill mad at me Tongue Out) JThugs on the Yanks .... 

Red Sox outfielder Jonny Gomes says Yankees still have some question marks The slugger said, the Yankees didn't solve all their problems even though they added Gomes' ex-teammate Jacoby Ellsbury, Brian McCann, Masahiro Tanaka and Carlos Beltran.                           

Oct 30, 2013; Boston, MA, USA; Boston Red Sox left fielder Jonny Gomes celebrates after scoring a run against the St. Louis Cardinals in the third inning during game six of the MLB baseball World Series at Fenway Park. Mandatory Credit: Robert Deutsch-USA TODAY SportsRobert Deutsch/USA Today Sports

Red Sox outfielder Jonny Gomes does not think the Yankees latest additions give them an edge.

Red Sox outfielder Jonny Gomes has a reminder for the Yankees as Brian Cashman and Co. bask in their winter shopping spree:

"We still have the belt," Gomes told the Boston Herald, referring to the Sox being the defending World Series champs.

"People can go out sign whoever they want right now," Gomes added. "It's kind of flattering a little bit that the (division) rival does have to reload as much as they did."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/gomes-yankees-belt-article-1.1589230#ixzz2rFyX6zll

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

I know where it's from

from NYDN.com(gotta give proper credit...don't want hill mad at me Tongue Out) JThugs on the Yanks .... 

Red Sox outfielder Jonny Gomes says Yankees still have some question marks The slugger said, the Yankees didn't solve all their problems even though they added Gomes' ex-teammate Jacoby Ellsbury, Brian McCann, Masahiro Tanaka and Carlos Beltran.                           

Oct 30, 2013; Boston, MA, USA; Boston Red Sox left fielder Jonny Gomes celebrates after scoring a run against the St. Louis Cardinals in the third inning during game six of the MLB baseball World Series at Fenway Park. Mandatory Credit: Robert Deutsch-USA TODAY SportsRobert Deutsch/USA Today Sports

Red Sox outfielder Jonny Gomes does not think the Yankees latest additions give them an edge.

Red Sox outfielder Jonny Gomes has a reminder for the Yankees as Brian Cashman and Co. bask in their winter shopping spree:

"We still have the belt," Gomes told the Boston Herald, referring to the Sox being the defending World Series champs.

"People can go out sign whoever they want right now," Gomes added. "It's kind of flattering a little bit that the (division) rival does have to reload as much as they did."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/gomes-yankees-belt-article-1.1589230#ixzz2rFyX6zll

Thanks, jete. I'm in!Tongue Out

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Let's forget all the bird seed and take an objective look at this.  The Sox finished 12 games ahead of the Yankees in 2013. This off season, the Yankees have made some bold moves to close that gap. The Sox have been content to pretty much sit tight. We have really not done anything to improve the team. Right now, you could make the case that the Sox are not as good a team as in 2013 , depending on the play of two rookies at critical positions. Talented rookies to be sure, but still rookies.  However, it is a championship team to begin with.  Now , only the 2014 season will tell the tale.  Too much is made of the payroll. The payroll is whatever the owners are willing to spend. These are all wealthy men. Some are willing to spend more than others. No sense complaining about it.

Lots of things can determine how good each team will be next yr. While the Yanks added some talent to their roster to the tune of almost 500 mil, lets not forget they have lost a bunch of talent as well Mo / Pettite / Arod / Cano / Hughes / Joba. What Mo and Pettite gave in the clubhouse will not be an easy thing to replace, as RS fans we now know how important the clubhouse culture can be. A bullpen w/out Mo cannot be as good as it was, an infield of Tex / Roberts / Jeter / Johnson might be the weakest in AL East.

As for the RS we lost Ells / Salty / and possibly Drew. But the thing the RS have that Yanks lack is young talent almost ready or ready for MLB. RS season will be determined by the Boegarts / JBJ / WMB and all  the young arms that are just about ready. While a good chance RS will take a step back this year to allow these younger players to grow, they will be a much better team for the next 10 yrs or so because of it. But never know no one expected a WS win in 13, whose to say Boegarts, JBJ, and WMB don't bust out and have tremendous seasons, crazier things have happened as we know, and RS go on to REPEAT!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:

Let's forget all the bird seed and take an objective look at this.  The Sox finished 12 games ahead of the Yankees in 2013. This off season, the Yankees have made some bold moves to close that gap. The Sox have been content to pretty much sit tight. We have really not done anything to improve the team. Right now, you could make the case that the Sox are not as good a team as in 2013 , depending on the play of two rookies at critical positions. Talented rookies to be sure, but still rookies.  However, it is a championship team to begin with.  Now , only the 2014 season will tell the tale.  Too much is made of the payroll. The payroll is whatever the owners are willing to spend. These are all wealthy men. Some are willing to spend more than others. No sense complaining about it.

Lots of things can determine how good each team will be next yr. While the Yanks added some talent to their roster to the tune of almost 500 mil, lets not forget they have lost a bunch of talent as well Mo / Pettite / Arod / Cano / Hughes / Joba. What Mo and Pettite gave in the clubhouse will not be an easy thing to replace, as RS fans we now know how important the clubhouse culture can be. A bullpen w/out Mo cannot be as good as it was, an infield of Tex / Roberts / Jeter / Johnson might be the weakest in AL East.

As for the RS we lost Ells / Salty / and possibly Drew. But the thing the RS have that Yanks lack is young talent almost ready or ready for MLB. RS season will be determined by the Boegarts / JBJ / WMB and all  the young arms that are just about ready. While a good chance RS will take a step back this year to allow these younger players to grow, they will be a much better team for the next 10 yrs or so because of it. But never know no one expected a WS win in 13, whose to say Boegarts, JBJ, and WMB don't bust out and have tremendous seasons, crazier things have happened as we know, and RS go on to REPEAT!

wait, hold on..a Sox fan listed Joba as "talent"??...i gotta go lie down Tongue OutWink

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

Go ahead you can say it.

One of the 5 best shortstops of all time.

As painful as it is.

here ya go:  http://grantland.com/features/the-tragedy-derek-jeter-defense/

Considering the revolving door SS has been for the RS since Jeter has manned the position, this is rather laughable. Does (Did) he have range limitations? Absolutely. Torre said so in his book, for starters, and, we are constantly reminded of it here. But this is old news, that some here like to repeatedly globalize via some incidental & far from perfect metrics (although they are revealing, no doubt), and consequently does not take away from his brilliance (and I mean defensively) in other areas. For example, perhaps some RS fans can recall the 2 relay throws in the 1999 PS vs the RS which dashed their hopes. The PS was often a different animal for him.

It's the same old obsessive diatribe here regarding one of the greatest players in history, although I would say he's not in the top 30 or so.

However, I don't worship at his altar; he's gotten a pass on his personal life, which is far from perfect contrary to the image that is presented.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

Go ahead you can say it.

As painful as it is.

Considering the revolving door SS has been for the RS since Jeter has manned the position, this is rather laughable. Does (Did) he have range limitations? Absolutely. Torre said so in his book, for starters, and, we are constantly reminded of it here. But this is old news, that some here like to repeatedly globalize via some incidental & far from perfect metrics (although they are revealing, no doubt), and consequently does not take away from his brilliance (and I mean defensively) in other areas. For example, perhaps some RS fans can recall the 2 relay throws in the 1999 PS vs the RS which dashed their hopes.

It's the same old obsessive diatribe here regarding one of the greatest players in history, although I would say he's not in the top 30 or so.

What does that have to do, in any way,  with Jeter?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

Go ahead you can say it.

As painful as it is.

Considering the revolving door SS has been for the RS since Jeter has manned the position, this is rather laughable. Does (Did) he have range limitations? Absolutely. Torre said so in his book, for starters, and, we are constantly reminded of it here. But this is old news, that some here like to repeatedly globalize via some incidental & far from perfect metrics (although they are revealing, no doubt), and consequently does not take away from his brilliance (and I mean defensively) in other areas. For example, perhaps some RS fans can recall the 2 relay throws in the 1999 PS vs the RS which dashed their hopes.

What does that have to do, in any way,  with Jeter?

It's the old axiom those in glass houses. Justifiable? Probably not. But not completely without worth noting either, especially given the tenor here.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

like s5 said earlier....he doesn't even come with a "gyroball".....

2014 prediction:

8-11 4.28 ERA. 

Maybe; chalk it up as a hopeful prediction. It likely won't matter, since this really isn't going to help the team that much; they have glaring holes; the NY media seems to agree.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Tanaka was 24-0, with a 1.27 ERA. How many pitchers do that at any professional level? He has been heavily scouted for quite some time. One scout said that he was a LOT better than Darvish. Another said his splitter was the best he has ever seen. This is high praise. This guy just might be a great one. Let's face it, if the Sox had signed him, we would be thrilled. Our top pitching prospects have not shown anything even resembling that kind of performance. Signing with the Yankees does not make him less of a talent. Our best bet might be to hope that he breaks down at some point from his high number of innings pitched. Many here are putting up a brash front, but we really should be disappointed , upset and worried that he is going to New York. This is not good news for the Red Sox.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Tanaka was 24-0, with a 1.27 ERA. How many pitchers do that at any professional level? He has been heavily scouted for quite some time. One scout said that he was a LOT better than Darvish. Another said his splitter was the best he has ever seen. This is high praise. This guy just might be a great one. Let's face it, if the Sox had signed him, we would be thrilled. Our top pitching prospects have not shown anything even resembling that kind of performance. Signing with the Yankees does not make him less of a talent. Our best bet might be to hope that he breaks down at some point from his high number of innings pitched. Many here are putting up a brash front, but we really should be disappointed , upset and worried that he is going to New York. This is not good news for the Red Sox.

I'm a pretty avid follower of the scouting world, I haven't seen anyone call him better than Darvish...can you please provide me with a link?

I feel like a lot of Yankee fans are upset that people are saying he is nothing more than a middle of the rotation starter...that's still a really really good pitcher and improves their team a lot. In the end, the Yankees were going to go out and sign someone...for all we know Tanaka won't be as good as a Santana who the Yankees probably would have signed if the Cubs got Tanaka (they still could sign him but I'm guessing they don't) 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

@JonHeymanCBS: with tax less of a consideration, yankees now weighing a run at stephen drew.http://t.co/N4GbSThebi

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

@JonHeymanCBS: with tax less of a consideration, yankees now weighing a run at stephen drew.http://t.co/N4GbSThebi

Why....they have one of the top SS, of all time?SealedWinkTongue Out

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

If I'm Darvish, I'm thinking, "Geez, I guess bad timing for me."   LOL

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

I'm a pretty avid follower of the scouting world, I haven't seen anyone call him better than Darvish...can you please provide me with a link?

I feel like a lot of Yankee fans are upset that people are saying he is nothing more than a middle of the rotation starter...that's still a really really good pitcher and improves their team a lot. In the end, the Yankees were going to go out and sign someone...for all we know Tanaka won't be as good as a Santana who the Yankees probably would have signed if the Cubs got Tanaka (they still could sign him but I'm guessing they don't) 

It is from a newspaper article by sportswriter Bob Klapisch. He quotes an unnamed talent evaluator as saying, " He's better than Darvish, and I'm talking by a lot. We scouted him a million times, and I'm being serious when I say his split finger fastball is the best I've ever seen. " 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It is from a newspaper article by sportswriter Bob Klapisch. He quotes an unnamed talent evaluator as saying, " He's better than Darvish, and I'm talking by a lot. We scouted him a million times, and I'm being serious when I say his split finger fastball is the best I've ever seen. "

I hate to compare anyone to Mo, especially someone who has never pitched in MLB, but I think Tanaka has a pitch that, even though batter know its coming, is still very hard to hit.

He doesn't need a 98 mph fastball.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

"god like" received the Jenson award

I know where it's from

"god like" recieved the Jackie Jensen award

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 13m

Johnny Gomes at Boston BBWAA dinner to receive the Jackie Jensen Award. His speech had several historical references to Jensen. Class move

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

I disagree. I think the amount of money paid to him over SEVEN YEARS is VERY good news for the Red Sox. Now I might be wrong; Tanaka might be worth every penny, but the odds are stacked against that. Name me three players who were given over say, $17m for more than five years who were worth it. Even the Yankees have a limit financially, and by paying Tanaka it detracts from their ability to pay someone else.

Its a good day to be a Sox fan

Sections
Shortcuts