Yankees to sign Tanaka

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Re: Yankees to sign Tanaka

In response to slasher9's comment:

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:

still a .500 team next season.  and this should put them up over luxury tax once again.

"still a .500 team next season"

So you're telling me with Tanaka in their rotation they will have a worst record than a year ago.

No wonder your referred to as NC.

They lost Cano but they filled holes in their lineup and one should expect more from Jeter and Tek then they got a year ago.

yup.  they wont come close to winning all those 1 run games they did last year.  why?  mo.

that's why.  what say you?  let me guess...the yankees win 100, right?

Still sticking with the .500 record?

I got the yanks winning between 90-95.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

still a .500 team next season.  and this should put them up over luxury tax once again.

So you're telling me with Tanaka in their rotation they will have a worst record than a year ago.

They lost Cano but they filled holes in their lineup and one should expect more from Jeter and Tek then they got a year ago.

yup.  they wont come close to winning all those 1 run games they did last year.  why?  mo.

Yankees are a 90-95 win team on paper right now.  What they also have is ZERO depth and a lot of old guys starting almost every position.  When you factor that in, I think it's a good bet that they lose another 5-10 games.  I still think they are around an 85 win team.   I won't cound them out until they are out....but I'm not worried either. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Give Yanks some credit, by all accounts they signed a very good pitcher. But probably not one worth 25 mil per. This will probably be another contract that Yanks will come to regret. This is a team loaded w/ such contracts and one day it will become an ugly mess, if it hasn't started already. But Yanks had to go all in for this guy, their pitching staff is a mess, their farm system is no help, declining attendence and TV ratings. Watching a Yankee game and all the empty seats behind home plate and up the lines is a joke.

I'll take my chances with the RS approach any day over Yanks. Yankee fans will point out their WS championships of late 90's. But what they tend to forget those teams were built by Gene Michael and thru the farm system. Then some will say what about 09, but the nucleus of that team was still Jeter / Mo / Petitte / Cano / Posada and included a ton of homegrown talent like Aceves/Bruney/Chamberlin/Coke/Hughes/Kennedy/Robertson/ Wang/Cervelli/Melky/Gardner. The big FA signings helped as did RS FA signings for 13. But if Yanks don't fix the farm system, there will be no parades down broadway even if you spend close to 500 mil. Need young talent to win. Guys w/ big long term contracts tend to lose the drive its the young players who energize a team. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Yankees are a 90-95 win team on paper right now.  What they also have is ZERO depth and a lot of old guys starting almost every position.  When you factor that in, I think it's a good bet that they lose another 5-10 games.  I still think they are around an 85 win team.   I won't cound them out until they are out....but I'm not worried either. 

If you agree with me that on paper they are a 90-95 win team then I must ask .....

What other piece of paper tells you they are a good bet to lose 5-10 more????

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

lets see how many games your 8th inning setup and your man robertson blow for mr tanaka.  thats how.  those 18 years of "automatic saves" are OVAH.  you have had auto save for so long you have no idea what you are in for. 

THATS WHY.

how many saves did mo have in 2012

but yes I agree they need another BP plus arm

the team looked quite different in 2012....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

this is not a "single out" thing here...c'mon guys...let's chill a little...it's just sports...Cool

tell that to your comrade zac who continuously does it.  i'm done with sitting back while he takes s|-|ot after s|-|0t.  he can take a flying leap...

"he can take a flying leap..."

Wow.

Appears you like to give it but simply can't take it.

There's a name for that and it starts with p and ends with y.

Turns out you're easy to upset.

ummm...how long would you like me to continue to sit here whilst you and your boyfriend zac call me names?  apparently i have had enough of it.  so if that makes me a puzzy in your eyes HH..i couldnt possibly care less.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

yes.  ummm...that was the reason for my initial post all the way back on page 1 of this thread....i beleive they are still a .500 team.  no mo, no cano, broken down terrible defensive ss, a ? of health at 1b and even if healthy spent 3 prior years in declining #'s (maybe time to go back to aging clinic for some "help"), significant loss of WAR @ 2b, a closer that could have the best year of his career and it will still be a downgrade, who pitches 7th & 8th>?  a declining #1 SP with +4 era, a 40 year old #2 starter, a 40 year old RF, an overpaid C that will be under the microscope of the big city, 3b???  upgrade:  CF & C.  1 run games?  again, no way they play to .800 in 1 run games without mo.

just a normal league average in 1 run games last season and they are a number of games UNDER .500. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

this is not a "single out" thing here...c'mon guys...let's chill a little...it's just sports...Cool

tell that to your comrade zac who continuously does it.  i'm done with sitting back while he takes s|-|ot after s|-|0t.  he can take a flying leap...

"he can take a flying leap..."

Wow.

Appears you like to give it but simply can't take it.

There's a name for that and it starts with p and ends with y.

Turns out you're easy to upset.

please show another thread where i called zac a name.  like you have been doing to me for months.  yes, apparently i am easy to upset.

sigh.....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

The NYY are now improved; improved from what is the problem.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If you agree with me that on paper they are a 90-95 win team then I must ask .....

intuition, probability, common sense...whatever you want to call it.  When a huge chuck of your team is old, and injury prone...odds are you are going to lose starters, and when the depth you have coming in to replace those guys are worst than the league average.....odds are you are going to lose some more games.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

Who cares, Yanks trying to buy WS once more.....Puck Em

We Good.....     Wink

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I tend to fall back to Bill James in a discussion like this.  He said several years ago that most one-run games are decided by luck. A bloop hit here, a seeing eye grounder there, those are the difference in one-run games.  Luck seems to even itself out.  If a team wins a lot of one run games one year you can look for them to lose a lot of one run games the next year. 

Baltimore in 2012 vs. 2013 is a good example of that.  Of course, James wasn't considering a team having Mo as the closer when he said that either.

Combine all the one-run wins in 2013 with losing Mo and I see the possibilty of the Y's losing a lot of one-run games next year. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to S5's comment:

I tend to fall back to Bill James in a discussion like this.  He said several years ago that most one-run games are decided by luck. A bloop hit here, a seeing eye grounder there, those are the difference in one-run games.  Luck seems to even itself out.  If a team wins a lot of one run games one year you can look for them to lose a lot of one run games the next year. 

Baltimore in 2012 vs. 2013 is a good example of that.  Of course, James wasn't considering a team having Mo as the closer when he said that either.

Combine all the one-run wins in 2013 with losing Mo and I see the possibilty of the Y's losing a lot of one-run games next year. 

The Yankees win if..

CC returns to form and gives them 32 starts,220 ip with a sub 3.75 ERA. Tanaka is as advertised post similar numbers and they get 28 to 30 starts from both Nova & Kuroda...With Phelps & Pinada taking up the slack and filling the 5th starter / longman roles. or they open thier wallet and sign Garza....

The Yankees win if....

Robertson can carry the load and close games....he has the stuff...but has also been dinged up the last few years...the rest of thier pen as comprised is? 

On paper they're much better than the team that limped home last year. 155M for a pitcher that has not thrown a single pitch is certainly a gamble...one they had to take...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

Low scoring one run games tend to happen if you have decent pitching but cant score runs. The Yanks played  lot of games running Overbay, Wells, Stewart, Ryan, Almonte, etc out there at once. Pick up some solid  FAs, get some injured guys back, Soriano for a full season, and maybe the one run games turn into 3 or 4 run games. The Mo effect is not so pronounced.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Dodgers were "not anywhere close" in the bidding for Tanaka and were outbid by "a decent amount" by both the Yankees and Cubs, two sources tell Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

CC returns to form and gives them 32 starts,220 ip with a sub 3.75 ERA.

I heard some radio guy today say CC dropped 70+ pounds and is near unrecognizable.

Interesting.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

CC returns to form and gives them 32 starts,220 ip with a sub 3.75 ERA.

I heard some radio guy today say CC dropped 70+ pounds and is near unrecognizable.

Interesting.

Let's hope that doesn't turn him into the new John Lackey

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

The Yankees have 10 of the last 13 division titles in that time as well, so it's not like they have not been successful lately.  Look, I'm not saying that the Yankees do not look like an aging team and I agree that the farm system is pretty weak there right now.  What I am saying is that I have counted the Yankees out personally so many times in the past 20 years and they pulled some magic out of their wallet that I won't be so cocky.

Who is counting the Yankees out? What I am saying is that their strategy of paying big name FAs big bucks, starting with Arod and Tex, has put them deep in a hole. They are a desperate team right now, paying a guy who has never played in the US over $20M for seven years. Thats EXACTLY the kind of mistake they have made many times in the past and has lead them to be an aging team with a weak farm system, one that "has not been successful lately". With their bankbook they can buy some success in the near term but EVERY team has a limit. I look at the Rays and the Red Sox as teams that have learned how its done. If the Rays had half the Sox's resources they could easily have won a couple of rings in the last 10 years.

I am not counting the Yankees out, but I think they have made another colossal blunder by paying Tanaka that much money for that long; its a HUGE risk and it will likely make them a weaker team in the future, not a stronger one. And for right now, they are not in as good a shape as the Red Sox are.

What scares me most of all is wondering... what if they actually get how to run a team right?  They almost did it when Joba and Hughes were coming through the system.  Thank god they flamed out so they have no confidence in rookies anymore and traded the farm.   

I'm not saying that the Yanks are in a good place right now, but that the checkbook has bailed them out from worse before.  Tanaka is a very good pickup for a young stud starter no matter how overpaid.  He is young and a building block for the future and is better than any Red Sox pitching prospect we have.  When I say overpaid... Like holy @#VT overpaid... big risk, but could be a big payout.

CC has a past that says that he can be successful in the future.  Reports are that he has lost a ton of weight and is pulling a John Lackey this offseason.

Here is his slimmed down look... I didn't even recognize him as he looks like a basketball player now.  I'm not sure how that translates to a better fastball, but it didn't hurt Lackey.  Those are the two biggest improvements that the Yanks can have and why I still respect them.  The chances are certainly lower that they will dominate like they have in the past, but they will challenge for the division if Tanaka can be a solid 3 and CC comes back to his career norm so I respect them.

Dapper: CC Sabathia, pictured left with wife Amber, denies losing any weight this offseason despite appearing to have lost quite a bit

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

[/QUOTE]

The Yankees win if..

CC returns to form and gives them 32 starts,220 ip with a sub 3.75 ERA. Tanaka is as advertised post similar numbers and they get 28 to 30 starts from both Nova & Kuroda...With Phelps & Pinada taking up the slack and filling the 5th starter / longman roles. or they open thier wallet and sign Garza....

The Yankees win if....

Robertson can carry the load and close games....he has the stuff...but has also been dinged up the last few years...the rest of thier pen as comprised is? 

On paper they're much better than the team that limped home last year. 155M for a pitcher that has not thrown a single pitch is certainly a gamble...one they had to take...

[/QUOTE]

+1

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:

Give Yanks some credit, by all accounts they signed a very good pitcher. But probably not one worth 25 mil per. This will probably be another contract that Yanks will come to regret. This is a team loaded w/ such contracts and one day it will become an ugly mess, if it hasn't started already. But Yanks had to go all in for this guy, their pitching staff is a mess, their farm system is no help, declining attendence and TV ratings. Watching a Yankee game and all the empty seats behind home plate and up the lines is a joke.

I'll take my chances with the RS approach any day over Yanks. Yankee fans will point out their WS championships of late 90's. But what they tend to forget those teams were built by Gene Michael and thru the farm system. Then some will say what about 09, but the nucleus of that team was still Jeter / Mo / Petitte / Cano / Posada and included a ton of homegrown talent like Aceves/Bruney/Chamberlin/Coke/Hughes/Kennedy/Robertson/ Wang/Cervelli/Melky/Gardner. The big FA signings helped as did RS FA signings for 13. But if Yanks don't fix the farm system, there will be no parades down broadway even if you spend close to 500 mil. Need young talent to win. Guys w/ big long term contracts tend to lose the drive its the young players who energize a team. 

+1

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Ells, a re-vamped CC, Tanaka, Beltre, the new catcher, a bunch of really good bats (even though old), these guys are looking like a lot of trouble to me.  Plus, we're not as good: no Ells and no Drew.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

I'm not saying that the Yanks are in a good place right now, but that the checkbook has bailed them out from worse before.  Tanaka is a very good pickup for a young stud starter no matter how overpaid.  He is young and a building block for the future and is better than any Red Sox pitching prospect we have.

The point is that no one knows how well Tanaka will perform in the ALE. Many of us, including me, thought that DiceK was going to just mow them down. To annoint Tanaka as a "very good pickup" is, IMO, premature. I will need at least until July or August to see how good a pickup he is. He is probably an improvement over Hughes, but at what cost? And its totally unclear that he will be better, when all is said and done, than guys like Owens or Barnes...or many of our other promising young studs. I am happy to see the Yankees take that kind of risk. Had they paid half the amount they paid him for half the years I would not have been as confident that this is a good move for the Sox.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to mfymfy's comment:

Low scoring one run games tend to happen if you have decent pitching but cant score runs. The Yanks played  lot of games running Overbay, Wells, Stewart, Ryan, Almonte, etc out there at once. Pick up some solid  FAs, get some injured guys back, Soriano for a full season, and maybe the one run games turn into 3 or 4 run games. The Mo effect is not so pronounced.

mfy,

One run games are not always low scoring...often they're a byproduct of the middle relievers losing leads. While I do agree the Yankees offense / team is much improved (even with the loss of Cano). With the addition of Tanaka on paper their rotation certainly got a good boast. End of the day for them to be legit contenders on the field...CC has to pitch to his resume and Robertson needs to step up and fill some pretty big shoes...

The Mo effect will most definitely be pronounced...first and foremost his retirement forces them to move Robertson out of the set up role. Which has a ripple effect on the rest of the pen...secondly, replacing arguably the greatest closer of all time, a once in a generation talent, that regardless of the venue or the stage stood tall and delivered for almost two decades, shouldn't be dismissed...trust me when I say that as a fan of your teams arch rival. I hope Mo enjoys his retirement....

They've improved how much will depend on what they do from this point forward and the return to health of some key pieces. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

intuition, probability, common sense...whatever you want to call it.  When a huge chuck of your team is old, and injury prone...odds are you are going to lose starters, and when the depth you have coming in to replace those guys are worst than the league average.....odds are you are going to lose some more games.

That's fine if that is what you believe.

If so perhaps you shouldn't call them a 90-95 win team on paper.

For the simple reason all those negatives you brought up are clearly noted on paper and you see something different then I do.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

That's fine if that is what you believe.

If so perhaps you shouldn't call them a 90-95 win team on paper.

For the simple reason all those negatives you brought up are clearly noted on paper and you see something different then I do.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe the Jays will turn over to the Yankees, their "Off Season Winner" trophy they received last year.

Sections
Shortcuts